Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Plastic Bags Litter Seafloor
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-14-2013 at 09:12 PM
Beer and the Good (or Better) Life

I've often (very often as I age) thought that there is absolutely NOTHING better in life than that first sip of a fine Beer in the summer.

The key (as in everything) is in moderation.

For some, in the "Can't Stop till they Drop" crowd, it appears that isn't an option.

Too Bad.
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2013 at 09:12 PM

Six pac Coors. $1.42 . I was 14 years of age at the 7-11 working my way to fortune and again, I remember [?] $1.42. It was $1.35 plus sales tax.

1972 the year.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2013 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Or, so they used to say.

And, to be fair, Coors DID taste like it had been watered down.

It was sort of the forerunner of Light Beer before there WAS Light Beer.

Which is another example of the decline of Civilization.

Could be worse, though.

Shandy comes to mind. Knowing what that is keeps me from ever trying it.

Speaking of the days when Coors wasn't available East of wherever, back when I used to take the Ex to visit her family in the Peach State, we always found ourselves smuggling cases of Coors at their request.

I always said that it would be Ironic (and infuriating) to get busted for hauling a Beer that I wouldn't drink myself.

Well, almost time for a daily Heineken or Steinlager.

Always the big decision of the afternoon.
so if i understand this correctly, your EX had zero taste in beer OR men?:?::lol:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-14-2013 at 09:31 PM

StienGAGGER? WTF? get your lips around a good IPA or even seek out Yellowtail Pale Ale by Ballast Point.... and drink until your dog comes back!

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2013 at 09:41 PM
A Lack of Taste ?

IF my dear-departed Ex had bad taste, it didn't keep her from tasting.

Setting aside the multitudes she tasted, she managed to fit in SIX Husbands.

As to Beer, however, she didn't.

EVER, while we were a couple.

Once in awhile (VERY rarely), she'd drink a glass of wine.

In later years, I doubt even that. She developed consuming religious fervor in her later years. Which may explain her settling down with number Six.

Or, just fatigue.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 6-14-2013 at 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaLuna
Is good earth stewardship a partisan/political thing? Plastic bags are just plain awful. But paper bags are just as bad, and when you live in a place that has LOTS of trees and see the miles and miles of clear-cuts and bare hills, makes ya wonder how long it will be before there isn't any more trees to cut down to wipe your butt or build shelter. Remember, we need trees to breathe and to create a home for the animals we eat! They just can't keep up with planting what they are cutting down, that's a fact. I pass logging trucks day in and day out where I live. But for a lot of people who live other places who don't see this on a regular basis, logging trucks in their neighborhoods, its out of sight out of mind how bad it truly is with what they are having to cut down in order to supply for the masses. What's a person to do?, plastic nor paper..none of it is a good choice... cotton bags, that's at least a renewable resource that is farmed and takes quicker to grow. Plastic bags need to be banned everywhere and in my mind, since I live in those forests, paper bags too! OH the horror! I think we're better than this, and can find new and exciting ways to avoid plastic bags!

As a student of History, especially western USA history, I have often been curious about historical pictures taken back in the 1800's, most of which show an incredible LACK of trees as compared with today in the same sites.

Barry

I've been studying the railroad boomtown Sisson CA (Mt. Shasta) for right at 40 years. I've specialized in the period before 1925. The culture was pure resource extraction with the "gold" being the timber that lined the tracks through Northern California when the rails connected in 1887. A dozen mills were waiting to ship lumber from Sisson by the time cars were running. Soon there were more. By WWI, two thirds of them had run out of timber and closed.

Here, the forest around Lake Siskiyou looks much the same in 1893. The little house over the Sacramento River in the foreground is for the crew to crap in the river, the second projection is a track for dumping the mill waste and sawdust into the river. These guys were very good at gutting the forest. There were no rules.
More and more mechanized logging continued through the twenties, thirties, forties, fifties, and sixties with roads replacing the logging railroads which once crisscrossed much of the north state. The original old growth is virtually gone, and the tree covered hills in your photographs are second and third generation plantations, which all being the same age, seem to carpet the landscape.

I dare say, there is a lot less timber today than before we started logging it.

And none of this is meaningful to the discussion, because we don't do paper pulp around here. Most people I know still do the, "Damn I forgot my canvas bag!" routine, and mean it.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2013 at 07:47 AM
The Past

Is said to be a great place to visit, but not live.

All of that past ugliness (to some) has to be weighed against the benefit to society at the time.

Our progress as a nation (or any nation's) has been made with an ecological cost whether it be lumber, gold, oil or ANY other resource necessary to that technological progress and should be accepted and APPRECIATED for the wonderful lifestyle it has enabled us to enjoy.

We owe NO apologies to ANYONE and should NOT feel regret for ANYTHING that facilitated those improvements.

Despite what the Eco-Druids say.

[Edited on 6-15-2013 by MrBillM]
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2013 at 09:57 AM

"Our progress as a nation (or any nation's) has been made with an ecological cost whether it be lumber, gold, oil or ANY other resource necessary to that technological progress and should be accepted and APPRECIATED for the wonderful lifestyle it has enabled us to enjoy.

We owe NO apologies to ANYONE and should NOT feel regret for ANYTHING that facilitated those improvements."

Giant piles of reeking bull crap Bill. The plunder of the nation's resources, as you so freely accept, resulted in 99% of the nation's wealth being accumulated in just a couple of % of the population. The rest are kept happy enough so they haven't yet risen up and shot the banksters and their paid Christian politicians in the head. Perhaps you haven't noticed that the USA is broke and our Christian government is borrowing money from the communists. Now we have the solar system's largest military machine in order to keep other nations from preventing us from extracting THEIR resources from THEIR land.

As for: "for the wonderful lifestyle it has enabled us to enjoy." At least you were honest enough to not claim that we've done anything meaningful to provide this "wonderful lifestyle" for anyone other than US. Our grandchildren will very likely know hunger and huge social unrest. The Bible says "its yours, use it up" and the delusional are doing their level best to comply.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

Bill Kauth

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2013 at 02:42 PM
Resources

The very definition of RESOURCE is a supply of something to be USED.

For those Druids who wish to be in Harmony with Mother Earth and Live in Divine Oneness with Nature in a Mountain Cave or a Thatched Hut chewing Grass and eating Berries ..................

Feel Free.

Don't demand that others do the same loony things.

The rest of us can appreciate the wealth of comforts that progress has brought forth.

BTW, to be true to the Ernest Earthly Ethos...............

You should get OFF the Web.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-15-2013 at 05:56 PM

Quote:

For those Druids who wish to be in Harmony with Mother Earth and Live in Divine Oneness with Nature in a Mountain Cave or a Thatched Hut chewing Grass and eating Berries ..................

Feel Free.

The rest of us can appreciate the wealth of comforts that progress has brought forth.

Yes----------Vag might want to read Thor Heyerdahl's (sp?) book of his living in the Marquesas Islands in "tune" with nature--------no thank you-----chilling-----it almost killed him and his girl, and he got the message.

Then read "into the wild" by the great writer who's name I can't remember-----Jon Krackauer (sp?)?? . Not a fun time this 'back to nature' thing. On and on---------

Our time on Earth is short, and tremendously dangerous (tho most don't realize it) so we had better make the best of it while we can with minimal impact on others..

Go for it!!!!

Barry

[Edited on 6-16-2013 by Barry A.]
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 6-15-2013 at 06:46 PM

Quote:

Feel Free.

WOW! Sooooooo lets get this straight, If we're not on board with your version of progress then we're druids ? You reveal your own
corporate cheerleader brainwashing in your failed attempt to justify unnecessary pollution. This is our planet, our home. I would like to think progress was a way to accomplish the same result with less ecological harm. We will be long gone when our children have to clean up the mess we left them. :(
BajaRat
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2013 at 06:54 PM

Its time to re introduce hemp production for sustainable fiber......... so sorry to hurt the man made fiber chemical companies. :lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2013 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Its time to re introduce hemp production for sustainable fiber......... so sorry to hurt the man made fiber chemical companies. :lol:

I heard George Washington's teeth were made from hemp....er.....something like that.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-15-2013 at 07:14 PM

Quote:

and the smoke ratio of each seed if they ever gravitate that way.....:light:

BajaRat
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2013 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

I heard George Washington's teeth were made from hemp....er.....something like that.

I would imagine he grew it........and it grows like a weed :lol::lol:
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2013 at 07:39 PM

Just to bring it full circle...

Hemp shopping bags. Not likely to be littering the ocean.

Hemp bags.jpg - 45kB

Bill Kauth

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-15-2013 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

I would imagine he grew it........and it grows like a weed :lol::lol:

?????? Grew his teeth??? How novel. :lol:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2013 at 09:55 PM
Comfortably Feeling at Home on Planet Earth

"...........We will be long gone when our children have to clean up the mess we left them. "

I can only say that I certainly HOPE so.

Who wants to be around to hear their whining about it ?

We cleaned up their messes while they grew up.

Seriously, though, have confidence that those kids can get the job done.

Helped by Technology.

In the meantime, USE those resources and .................. ENJOY as you see fit.

I WILL.

[Edited on 6-16-2013 by MrBillM]
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2013 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
"...........We will be long gone when our children have to clean up the mess we left them. "

I can only say that I certainly HOPE so.

Who wants to be around to hear their whining about it ?

We cleaned up their messes while they grew up.

Seriously, though, have confidence that those kids can get the job done.

Helped by Technology.

In the meantime, USE those resources and .................. ENJOY as you see fit.

I WILL.

[Edited on 6-16-2013 by MrBillM]

I'm sure they will get the job done but why not make it a little easier by not littering and everybody picking up after themselves? I live on 10 acres on the Central Coast, that's the way the land is parceled where I'm at, in 10 acre lots and we never see litter any where because myself and all of my neighbors pick up after ourselves. It's actually a very nice sight to drive down the road and not see plastics bags and other debris hanging on fences or laying in the fields.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2013 at 03:19 PM
Good Critters don't Litter

I DON'T.

I'm a Conservative in EVERY way, including resources usage.

BUT I DO use and appreciate Plastic Bags, Bottles and the like.
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.