BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: Mountain Lions on the road to Tecate, danger or not?
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 04:37 PM

Great story Timo...I was hiking in the c-ckscomb Basin Jaguar Preserve in Belize many years ago along a storm devastated jungle trail in Fer De Lance country. All my senses were on HIGH alert. Watching every foot placement, I started to step and froze to see a BIG cat track which finished filling with water as I stood there mindblown!

I took a picture and compared it to books later, it was a Puma, not a Jaguar, and I hadn't seen a thing. GOOOOOsebumps!:lol::lol:

What good luck that you got to see a Cougar Doc.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 04:38 PM

I don't know what I saw but it looked like a young female lion!!
Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Great story Timo...I was hiking in the c-ckscomb Basin Jaguar Preserve in Belize many years ago along a storm devastated jungle trail in Fer De Lance country. All my senses were on HIGH alert. Watching every foot placement, I started to step and froze to see a BIG cat track which finished filling with water as I stood there mindblown!

I took a picture and compared it to books later, it was a Puma, not a Jaguar, and I hadn't seen a thing. GOOOOOsebumps!:lol::lol:

What good luck that you got to see a Cougar Doc.
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Guns aren't legal in Mexico.

[Edited on 1-21-2014 by EnsenadaDr]

Where did you hear guns where illegal in Mexico? As long as you purchase the correct caliber from the Mexican Gov. and have the correct permits you can have a rifle, shotgun and pistol...I accually purchased a Winchester 1892 rifle from a store in San Muguel de Allende and I am getting a permit to remove it from Mexico to have it restored back home............

http://rollybrook.com/guns.htm

[Edited on 1-21-2014 by bajagrouper]

I hear the whales song
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
No Worries!

If a lion were to start chasing me, it would slip and fall and break all four legs.

[Edited on 1-21-2014 by DavidE]

:lol::lol::lol:

Daveed I assume you're referring to the slippery road surface you would be leaving in your wake.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco
Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Here is their preferred meal when there is no goat on the trail.:lol:

Great photo. Magnificent, healthy looking animal.

I agree, but it is sad knowing road-kill has become part of the cycle of nature... attracting animals like a modern day tar pit.

That cat in the picture most likely killed that deer when it was crossing the road. Cougars aren't scavengers and prefer fresh meat. The numerous deer killed on the road around here are not scavenged by Cougars.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
More info please? What correct caliber and where do you go to purchase one?
Quote:
Originally posted by bajagrouper

Where did you hear guns where illegal in Mexico? As long as you purchase the correct caliber from the Mexican Gov. and have the correct permits you can have a rifle, shotgun and pistol...I accually purchased a Winchester 1892 rifle from a store in San Muguel de Allende and I am getting a permit to remove it from Mexico to have it restored back home............
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
More info please? What correct caliber and where do you go to purchase one?
Quote:
Originally posted by bajagrouper

http://rollybrook.com/guns.htm

I hear the whales song
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 04:59 PM

so then you have to have a residente permanente to have a firearm?
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
A simple stout five foot walking stick surprised the hell out of me in the Reese River Valley area of Nevada. A full grown cat growled at me from about thirty feet away. It was standing on a man-high boulder. It was bristling. Afterwards thinking about things, this happened in April. Maybe the cat was a lioness and she had kittens. Anyway I yelled, and the cat only lowered its ears. I raised my left arm and shook my fist to no effect. But when I raised my walking stick and waved it in the air the lion jumped off the rock and disappeared. I returned the way I came. Maybe it was a she and she had kittens. Who knows.

David, attended the U of Nevada '67-69 and did my graduate work at the Reese River Experimental Station. The "city of Austin" was something else! I have alot of fond memories.

David

bacquito
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 05:37 PM
Austin

Was the Toyabee burger stand and the Owl Club open then???

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
Quote:
A simple stout five foot walking stick surprised the hell out of me in the Reese River Valley area of Nevada. A full grown cat growled at me from about thirty feet away. It was standing on a man-high boulder. It was bristling. Afterwards thinking about things, this happened in April. Maybe the cat was a lioness and she had kittens. Anyway I yelled, and the cat only lowered its ears. I raised my left arm and shook my fist to no effect. But when I raised my walking stick and waved it in the air the lion jumped off the rock and disappeared. I returned the way I came. Maybe it was a she and she had kittens. Who knows.

David, attended the U of Nevada '67-69 and did my graduate work at the Reese River Experimental Station. The "city of Austin" was something else! I have alot of fond memories.

David

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 05:45 PM

Yeah! Like driving to Fallon, passing SALT WELLS, ten trailers, a water tower, and large propane tank, all painted solid CHINESE RED.

I used to lay on the horn a half-mile before I got there and all the ladies would file out onto the porch and wave as I drove by.

The whole area is fascinating. Kingston Canyon on the other side of "the range" is where I hooked an eleven pound brown trout on a "Mary Lake # 16" fly. The folks I was with threw a hissy fit when I shook the hook jaw monster loose at the dam. I ripped an index finger on the fish's teeth! Remember the Austin Hotel and bar, perhaps the most authentic non tourist bar in the west? Great! Good old Austin, the only gambling house had a $5 upper limit on blackjack bets. One spring I dug up a garden for strawberries and found an 1872 CC $5 gold coin. It purchased a new to me pickup truck.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Yes, I was in the minority on my views on bears in the Parks, but a substantial amount of people within the Service agreed with me. I went from GS-5 buck-Ranger to GS-12 Chief Ranger/Branch Chief in 7 years in the NPS & BLM.

I rest my case.

Barry

.. and you were in the minority when it came to preserving ancient artifacts on public lands as I recall. Not surprising to me as your views are consistently contrary to most people in the park service. What you were doing there is beyond comprehension. You must have been in a constant state of war with your personnel, people who enlisted into the service with certain ideals. Ideals which you repeatedly show that you lack.

The National Park Service's mission in a Natural Area is to "preserve the resources while providing for the safe use, enjoyment, and access of the Public" (or something like that-----it was a long time ago). That is what I did. As the Bear Management Officer for Glacier Natl. Park in the late '60's I learned a LOT about bears in general, and Griz. in particular, as I personally handled and moved somewhere around 27 (?) bears, as I recall. If you think I am negative on bears, you should have listened to the resident NPS bear-biologist, Cliff Martinka. He loved what he was doing, but was terrified of the bears, and was not afraid to admit it internally, and questioned if they should even be allowed in the Park as they were so dangerous. I took his counsel to heart, and the evidence was so obvious to those of us directly involved with the bears that it was irrefutable.

As for the Indian sites-------I refer you back to the Mission of the Park Service-------to preserve while providing for the enjoyment of same by the Public. That is a tough call, and we all had different ideas on how to interpret that "Mission". I stressed the "enjoyment by the Public" message above the "preserve" message (in some cases), as many others within NPS did also. NO matter, tho, as neither mandate prevented the vandalism and theft of the resources in a few cases. Most significant "sites" within most of the Parks are already inventoried and photographed. Many tiny sites are still kept secret and hidden from public access and view, making them mostly irrelevant to the general public, and I think that is a shame and actually cheats the Public from enjoying resources they own. The scientific significance of many of these tiny sites is questionable.

I respect and understand your feelings on this subject, SkipJack, but decry your viscious attacks on those you don't agree with. I understood I was promoted to positions of authority because my views were respected and admired by Top Management, and considered balanced and reasonable and within Mission. I loved the NPS and still do.

I was never "at war" with my fellow Ranger's, but we did not always agree on everything, for sure. But from my point of view we got along great!!!

I appologize to the good Doctor and others for side-tracking this thread on Big Kitties. I did not wish to waste your time defending myself until I was derided & insulted for my comments, both now and in the past. SkipJack (and a few others) has a habit of doing this occasionally------for reasons only he knows.

Barry
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 05:56 PM

I'm loving every minute of this thread Barry, the stories are fascinating!!
DJL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 06:13 PM

I don't mean for this reply to sound rude (to the original poster , or the local Mexicans who live along the hiking route) ..... but wouldn't it be more likely for the hungry Lion to be eating the endless supply of Mexicans that live in the area and walk everywhere ?

Go hiking , and consider yourself insanely lucky if you see one of these beautiful Animals - I've spent 40+ years in the bush and have seen only ONE .

D.~
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 06:16 PM

you know that everyone likes variety and a Greengoes is no exception!!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DJL
I don't mean for this reply to sound rude (to the original poster , or the local Mexicans who live along the hiking route) ..... but wouldn't it be more likely for the hungry Lion to be eating the endless supply of Mexicans that live in the area and walk everywhere ?

Go hiking , and consider yourself insanely lucky if you see one of these beautiful Animals - I've spent 40+ years in the bush and have seen only ONE .

D.~

does not matter if it is real or not. Its the most popular topic today! Tells ya something, doesn't it.

[Edited on 1-22-2014 by rts551]
DJL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
Originally posted by DJL

D.~

does not matter if it is real or not. Its the most popular topic today! Tells ya something, doesn't it.

[Edited on 1-22-2014 by rts551]

It does . I should have stayed in Abreojos/Campo Rene and continued beating up on Groupers/Snook/etc. .... that's what it tells me !

D.~:lol::lol::lol::spingrin:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 06:45 PM

Where is the "Like" button!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

The National Park Service's mission in a Natural Area is to "preserve the resources while providing for the safe use, enjoyment, and access of the Public" (or something like that-----it was a long time ago).

Barry

Read your earlier posts Barry. "I consider Bears and mountain lions a menace". That is a strange statement from a protector of the natural resources that you are entrusted with. In all my years at national parks I have never, I repeat never, heard a ranger say anything like that. Yet it is totally consistent with what you have stated in the past. You have told us about the beauty of open pit mining and the beauty of a skyline of windmills on public lands ("... and if you don't like it you can roll up the shades").

Yet because you worked for the Park Service we are supposed to respect your opinions on conservation? And now you pull out this phrase from the service. The emphasis being that they're a resource for our pleasure and when there is no pleasure their usefulness ends and can be eliminated? That's exactly the problem, Barry. You have it backwards. WE are the guests in these parks, not the other way around. The wildlife belong in the parks and we are privileged to see them on their terms. That's the view of all the NPS people I've met.

This is from the NPS CULTURAL RESOURCE MANAGEMENT GUIDELINE - STEWARDSHIP

http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/nps28/28chap4.htm

Quote:
The legal mandate to both conserve and provide for public enjoyment seems to hold potential for conflict. In fact, the Service's primary responsibility is clear. It may provide for public enjoyment of park resources only "in such manner and by such means as will leave them unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations." In other words, preservation takes precedence.

and further on:

Quote:

In planning for needed facilities and in providing for visitor use activities, good managers will not subordinate resource preservation to "better" visitor experiences.

That's not a quote from some contemptuous tree hugger or sierra club member, but from the documents of the park service itself. There is no ambiguity here. Wildlife are not a menace. We are the menace if we affect their lives.

[Edited on 1-22-2014 by Skipjack Joe]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 05:31 AM

Mountain Lion attacks occur in areas where hunting them is illegal, they lose their fear of humans. Unarmed humans are easy prey.
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.