Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7
Author: Subject: Desert Rat
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 12:55 PM

This is what he was wearing head to toe when we said goodbye.

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 01:14 PM

What's Ron's name, please? Age. Need it to find him now.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 01:35 PM

Have people called the clinics &/or hospitals in the area...perhaps that is what Mulegena is doing now?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 01:38 PM

Just got his name via u2u.
We're on it.
Thanks.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 01:44 PM

I went to the General Hospital in Ensenada and Velmar but no results

bacquito
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 01:45 PM

His name is Ron Christian and he's in his seventies.

Having been lost and late a few times myself, I'm not one to over-react, but the BEST plausible scenario I can conceive here is that Ron has suffered a medical problem and is somewhere being cared for and heading for a full recovery.

Whatever has happened, we absolutely need to keep asking and find him as quickly as possible.

Thanks everyone for your help.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
Yes, it was an amazing coincidence that I was in the first vehicle he flagged down after strugging up to the road! And exactly this time last year the two of us and Bacquito were making our attempt on Picacho.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=66483&pag...

When we met him he spoke to the driver of our van in Spanish and we assumed he was Mexican... I jumped out to get him some water. I didn't recognise him under his hat and beard. He said, "Graham... it's me Christian." It still took a few moments to realise it was Ronnie. He was definitely weak and thirsty and thin. Might well have been more confused than we realised.

Maderita makes some good points and thanks EnsenadaDr for your wonderful assistance here. If we don't hear something I'm going to head down tomorrow and check out the road down from the observatory past Meling just in case he was confused and asked to get off the pickup.

Thank you Graham... I had forgotten you guys hooked up when Ron (D'Rat) last tried to climb Diablo.

As Don Jorge said here, I agree that this is Ron's passion and he is well able to get help if he needs it. I think (hope) he is just on the slow bus to San Felipe!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 04:59 PM

Don't be to hard on Ron.
My buddy who is a world class climber and explorer walked past Campo Noche and did not discover his mistake until he was approaching Blue Bottle. He retraced his tracks back to Campo Noche and proceeded to finish the climb. Of course he was embarrassed. The next year I did the same solo climb and made darn sure I found CN.
Turns out what we all do is walk up the drainage and do not pay attention to the terrain on the left often enough and miss the camping spot at CN.
After CN one must go straight up a crappy talus field as described in Ron's report.
The climb from the east typically takes 2.5 to 3.5 days to summit if all one does is walk. The half day is to get to the trail head and negotiate the two spill overs. The return to the TH takes a day less.
Ron asked me for tips and details, but by the time I got the message it was days after he had departed. In any event the various reports from the Internet are much better than anything I could provide.
PW
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 05:31 PM

Ron made an heroic effort to get to the summit of Baja... he was ten days alone in prime cougar country. When we met him he knew he had reached his limit and gone beyond. He said his thirst was such he could hardly speak.

We saw him Thursday morning... and he was out of the park before noon. Even if he spent a night in a hotel or with the folks who gave him a ride... we should have heard something by now.

And if for any reason he got out of that vehicle before reaching the highway, he could well have collapsed. I'm convinced he's in trouble. I think it will be a huge mistake to assume anything but the worst till we hear from him.

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Have people called the clinics &/or hospitals in the area...perhaps that is what Mulegena is doing now?

We have clients in from Korea and China so I am not able to get away but I called around to all of the hospitals and clinics in San Quintin and none reported to have him. I wasn't able to reach the the hospital in Vicente Guerrero so I sent a message to a friend nearby, asking if he could check for us.

I'll let you know once he calls...
Katiejay99
Nomad

Mood: it is what it is

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 06:10 PM

Hijack alert!

Hey Baja Gringo - you changed your avatar!!! SCARY!! The jail one is better. LOL.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 06:12 PM

Thanks Gringo.

This is a long shot... but when we drove down on Friday morning there seemed to be a pair of old shoes or boots hanging over a road sign a mile or two west of Rancho Meling, on the north side heading back to the highway.

We just flashed by and didn't get a good look at them but after studying the picture of the boots Ron was wearing, they did seem a similar color.

Now he hasn't shown I'm beginning to wonder if they might be his. I'm heading down tomorrow and plan on combing that area just in case... but anyone in the area might want to take a look. I'll see if I can contact someone at the ranch or maybe Astrobaja can help investigate.

As I said earlier, it is possible Ron might have been feeling unwell and given up on his plan to get to the highway and asked to get off near Meling.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 06:29 PM

someone needs to get an answer from the workers who were giving him a ride. Way better than speculation!

Where do these workers stay? Do gthe Rangers know? I am sure we could get a question to them if we knew where they were.

[Edited on 5-25-2014 by rts551]
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 06:33 PM

I just called David at Rancho Meling. He thinks the boots might have been there awhile but kindly offered to send one of his workers out tomorrow morning to check it out.

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 09:44 PM

Thanks to everyone keeping focus on this. This man is one tough dude tromping around the desert like he does; he has my respect.

We all hope he's well and riding the bus back to McFez' house for his car as Don Jorge suggests he may be.

Really appreciate Graham's help and follow-up and certainly appreciate Ron making phone calls today and accessing his contacts in the area.

Hold good thoughts, Nomads.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 09:10 AM

Sunday morning - I'm returning to the San Pedro Martir to see what I can find out up there - at the park entrance and hopefully from the observatory contruction workers that he left with.

We need to find Ronnie - make sure that this gutsy 82nd Airborne vet comes safely back to us this Memorial weekend.

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 09:16 AM

This is getting scary---- best of luck Graham.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
Sunday morning - I'm returning to the San Pedro Martir to see what I can find out up there - at the park entrance and hopefully from the observatory contruction workers that he left with.

We need to find Ronnie - make sure that this gutsy 82nd Airborne vet comes safely back to us this Memorial weekend.

That is wonderful --- action, action. Best of luck with your venture! Good on you!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 09:23 AM

Thanks Graham. Best idea, even if he ends up to be on the road somewhere.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 10:33 AM

I went to the bus terminal in Ensenada today and checked with ABC personel and no evidence of Ron on any bus headed to Ensenada for the past 3 days.
Also, the police got involved and I ended up with the police at the tourist bureau. The suggested I file a missing person report. I have the address.

I am waiting for Graham to arrive from San Diego and possibly we will go together but in seperate cars.

We do not know what has happened. I would be carefull about talking to the workers that carried Ron away. Perhaps it would be better handeled by police. But then my wife says I exaggerate

[Edited on 5-25-2014 by bacquito]

bacquito
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.