Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  25
Author: Subject: Megadrought Predictions
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 11:30 AM

Just tried it ... worked on my mac ... with Safari

Worked in Ag .. and water was somewhat important to that Industry ..

and btw ... Netflix has that Documentary on "Chasing Ice" which you can watch online now

It is very good
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 11:35 AM

I'd like to watch it because where I live we can't stream via computer or phone as neither have the download capacity. We don't even have cable here. Our neighborhood is out in the boonies with no good services that those in "the city" have as everyday services.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 11:38 AM
"Chasing Ice"

its Free on You Tube and many others...type in your browser " "chasing Ice movie or doc" and many optains should come up !! BTW its so dry out in cali that bird poop is dry by the time it hites the ground and the fires this summer are gonna be HELL ! No water to put them out !! never thought it would get this bad in my lifetime,, this fast !!.....K&T

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by captkw]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

.....Punishing Americans with blame, taxes, and loss of freedom is not beneficial... specially when China and other nations are not in the least concerned with pollution and are powering up without restriction. If it's good enough for us, it should be good enough for them.

David,
"Punishing" ????? Another victim statement :rolleyes:

I don't mind when you are accurate or "correct" with info you may offer....it just doesn't seem to occur that often with such topics at times....

As for you lopsided political opinions....they are just irritating.

And as for your last comment above....are you suggesting that "if it's good enough for them", it is okay for others to follow suit ?

Your simplistic notion of "freedoms and rights" seems to obfuscate your view on many issues....:?:

Don't believe everything you think....
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 01:23 PM

March was almost a year ago, and there was no government draught water restrictions and that was my post, fact not myth.

The two most disturbing parts of your quote from last March was your statement that the drought was not that bad and is WAS and is still severe through out the state and then your absurd statement that somehow it was being made a crisis because of politics is really absurd. This is a MULTI-year drought.

The continued drought is not a myth, nor is the needed assistance to help deal with the impact from the continued SEVERE drought.

Because you had plenty of water at the time truly ignored the depth of the problem and was very narrowly shortsighted.

Quote:
David K from http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=72656&pag...

No, because the drought is not severe here... our local water supply is fine ........

Again, the crisis is largely political... rain will come... but they want more dollars, now.

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by DianaT]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 01:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

.....Punishing Americans with blame, taxes, and loss of freedom is not beneficial... specially when China and other nations are not in the least concerned with pollution and are powering up without restriction. If it's good enough for us, it should be good enough for them.

David,
"Punishing" ????? Another victim statement :rolleyes:

I don't mind when you are accurate or "correct" with info you may offer....it just doesn't seem to occur that often with such topics at times....

As for you lopsided political opinions....they are just irritating.

And as for your last comment above....are you suggesting that "if it's good enough for them", it is okay for others to follow suit ?

Your simplistic notion of "freedoms and rights" seems to obfuscate your view on many issues....:?:

"irritating" to you, perhaps, but not to millions of other's!!!

Your interpretation and use of "victim", based on the above statements, is also apparently very different than mine, but I will say no more on that.

And, include me on having "lopsided political opinions" as you define them!!!

I value the opinions of almost all NOMADS, even if I don't agree, but I hopefully draw the line at personal derogatory comments and attacks on one's character that attempt to marginalize and intimidate those you don't agree with (I can't think of any other reason for doing it)----- THAT strikes me as childish, and gets us no-where, if you know what I mean, and is REALLY IRRITATING.

Barry
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 01:45 PM
cheers to DianaT

user161115_pic572005_1294187927_thumb.gif - 49kB

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by blackwolfmt]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 02:17 PM

As several have said, "we live in a desert"!!!! (def.: under 10 inches per year)

Droughts happen (in a Desert) really rather often.

People who live in a Desert should expect and prepare for "drought" as it IS going to happen, and occasionally it is severe. It then follows that unless folks are near dying from dehydration, they really don't individually need "help" from the Fed. or State Government, but yes we do expect our Government to manage mega-things long-term when possible (inter-state water management), and so far they do a pretty good job, with exceptions as always happens.

This is NOT a panic situation, and it is NOT that over-all severe yet--------and what happens next macro-weather-wise is not really up to mankind anyway, and the long-term "stats" certainly confirm THAT.

Basically, what David K actually said is correct, and certainly not "absurd", IMO.

Barry

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 02:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
As several have said, "we live in a desert"!!!! (def.: under 10 inches per year)

People who live in a Desert should expect and prepare for "drought" as it IS going to happen, and occasionally it is severe. It then follows that unless folks are near dying from dehydration, they really don't individually need "help" from the Fed. or State Government, but yes we do expect our Government to manage mega-things long-term when possible (inter-state water management), and so far they do a pretty good job, with exceptions as always happens.

This is NOT a panic situation, and it is NOT that over-all severe yet--------and what happens next macro-weather-wise is not really up to mankind anyway, and the long-term "stats" certainly confirm THAT.

Basically, what David K actually said is correct, and certainly not "absurd", IMO.

Barry

If David said the sky was green, you would agree with him --- always. That is a given.

Following your logic for people not needing assistance to deal with the drought, I guess you would also think that people who are harmed by earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, fires, etc. should also not need or take public assistance since they choose to live in areas where these disasters are apt to happen?

There are people who believe everyone should be on their own --- followers of Ayn Rand, that is until she needed Medicare.

It is a different philosophy that believes in something called the common good.

There is next to no snow pack again this year.
bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 02:55 PM

Both of you, are as dumb as a box of ol' missionary rocks.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 03:01 PM

Geezuz, Ayn Rand---before anyone takes her writing hook, line, and sinker go read about her adulterous life--no wonder she proclaimed selfishness as good. Not that she doesn't have some words of wisdom but the lady was a little out there.

On the drought---if you think about it the government has done a fabulous job of managing water since the 1970s droughts---the population has exploded and they're able to manage this, a worse drought than the 70s, and with a lot more people demanding it. For example look at the incredible infrastructure they've built in Huntington Beach by the Santa Ana River to recapture waste water and pump it back into the aquifer.

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by Mexitron]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 03:02 PM
"Just the Facts Mam ! " sgt. friday

You all can talk about all Ya want ! But the FACT remains cali is in deep Doo Doo with NO snow pack and dry watersheid,,resivoirs and lakes...and with no end in sight....And its not written in stone that there will be a winter next season...4 yrs of drought is getting scary !! lake Shasta,,Oroville and many,,many others will not open this season....:no:
Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 03:02 PM

You take care of you and I'll take care of me. Rand had it right, not our current string of politicians.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 03:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

Barry

If David said the sky was green, you would agree with him --- always. That is a given.

Following your logic for people not needing assistance to deal with the drought, I guess you would also think that people who are harmed by earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, fires, etc. should also not need or take public assistance since they choose to live in areas where these disasters are apt to happen?

There are people who believe everyone should be on their own --- followers of Ayn Rand, that is until she needed Medicare.

It is a different philosophy that believes in something called the common good.

There is next to no snow pack again this year.

LOL (a "green sky" would be sorta pretty, es verdad???)

What ACTUALLY happens is that when I mildly disagree with something David says (rare), I KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT because it's just his opinion, take it or leave it. On the other hand, I will sometimes defend MY position, and if somebody else says close to what I believe and is attacked for it, I will defend THEIR position, also. THAT is what you are seeing (cluck, cluck) I would, and have, done the same for you. (cluck, cluck)

As for my opinion on Govt. "public assistance"---- ABSOLUTELY I don't agree with the "assistance" that is routinely provided to people that should know better, and prepare for, whatever!!!! That is what INSURANCE is all about. If you can't afford insurance then you probably should not put yourself in harms-way as much as you do (the moral-hazard of "assistance, and bail-outs"---a truly escalating & unsustainable problem in the Nanny-State).

People who believe in being mostly "on their own" are normally not fools-----if they are going to be outvoted by people who apparently WANT the Nanny-State, then YES many loner's are not going to refuse what everybody else thinks they are entitled too, no matter how long-term corrosive it is to mankind in general----to do so is just stupid. Hypocrisy, yes, we all are hypocrites from time to time!?!?!? Ayn Rand would have bought Insurance had not Medicare been available, I am betting. She is no fool!!! My Family is "insured" against almost EVERYTHING, including long term Health Care. LOL

The "common good" is National Defense, primarily against the barbarians, and a few other things like minimal regulations and enforcement of those regs. i.e.. the Justice System, and infrastructure--------THAT is what I expect my Govt. to provide, and little more. Using my taxes for all those other things that I don't approve of and erodes peoples independence and self-respect really irritates me, and is the reason I normally want to "starve the beast", with a few exceptions.

With 70 years experience in the Eastern Sierra I have seen the mts. almost devoid of snow many times-------and we survived as did our neighbors, for the most part--------it's a desert environment. We even survived the rape of Eastern Sierra water by LA (for the "common good"?!?!?!)---you just adjust!!

Barry
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 03:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
You all can talk about all Ya want ! But the FACT remains cali is in deep Doo Doo with NO snow pack and dry watersheid,,resivoirs and lakes...and with no end in sight....And its not written in stone that there will be a winter next season...4 yrs of drought is getting scary !! lake Shasta,,Oroville and many,,many others will not open this season....:no:

Capt.-----"will not open" ????? Both Trinity and Shasta Lakes are up significantly in the last 10 to 20 days and there are at least 3 months of the rainy-season to go--------Lake Shasta is up over 20 feet in just the last few days-----------I have not given up on the rain just yet after reviewing the history of rain in this area. (but who really knows??)

Barry
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 03:29 PM
optimism is a good thing !!

that's the report that I have read about Shasta and Oroville....and we have a february. heat wave!! 74 degrees here......santa cruz area (aptos hills) and everthing is sorta backwards...B.C.S. had rain and we havnt.......the SAC river is low and slow...looks like we will only have the "Delta's" for fresh water boating:wow:...K&T
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 04:10 PM

Would appear a different view is seen by some, in California

WOW now how is that possible :lol::lol:

"With California facing one of the most severe droughts on record, Governor Brown declared a drought State of Emergency in January and directed state officials to take all necessary actions to prepare for water shortages. The state has continued to lead the way to make sure California is able to cope with an unprecedented drought."

http://ca.gov/drought/

We are thinking of adding another AGST for potable water here in OC, CA ... currently 550 :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by wessongroup]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Yes, and it is called 'funding'... if there is no "sky is falling" paranoia, then gullible liberals won't send in money (or take working people's money) to keep government scientists working or pretending they are more powerful than Nature.

So do you believe that we should just immediately declare that the climate is going to do what it's going to do, our activities have zero effect on it, and cease funding the study of climate related science? It seems to me like it would be a valid and important field of study whether humans are complicit or not.

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by monoloco]

I think we should do the best we can to live well and help others by being our best. Clean energy is an awesome idea and when it is practical and affordable I am all for it. Punishing Americans with blame, taxes, and loss of freedom is not beneficial... specially when China and other nations are not in the least concerned with pollution and are powering up without restriction. If it's good enough for us, it should be good enough for them.
We can disagree on what the best course of action is, but it seems like the science is pretty bullet proof, that pouring millions of tons of of CO2 and other substances into the atmosphere on a daily basis, is affecting the climate of the earth. As long as groups of shills for the oil and coal industry can create doubt about the science, we'll never get to the point where we will come to any consensus on the most effective and efficient way to reduce our outputs of greenhouse gases. I believe that is what the petrochemical and coal groups are trying to accomplish with their campaign. They are the ones that will suffer the biggest financial consequences, they certainly have much more to lose than any scientist has to gain. We can disagree on the solution, considering global politics, even I am very skeptical that we are capable of any meaningful reduction in time to change the consequences of our actions, but the worst thing we can do is deny the science of it.

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by monoloco]

"The future ain't what it used to be"
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 04:18 PM

....I value the opinions of almost all NOMADS, even if I don't agree, but I hopefully draw the line at personal derogatory comments and attacks on one's character that attempt to marginalize and intimidate those you don't agree with (I can't think of any other reason for doing it)----- THAT strikes me as childish, and gets us no-where, if you know what I mean, and is REALLY IRRITATING.
Barry

Barry,
I think I tend to take DK to task when he does that name-calling stuff you point out directed at folks of a different political/ ideological persuasion.....so I suppose we are both guilty of such childish behaviour.

I certainly am not trying to intimidate anyone....rather, just throwing back in kind a style of presenting ideas.

I know I can irritate some folks, and try to keep that to a minimum....unless my intention is to irritate.

I hold some conservative values myself, but try to blend them with some humanistic principles and willingness to sometimes care for those less fortunate. Being imperfect, it's a work in progress.

Good for you for defending DK as well as your own views....nothing wrong or irritating about that.

Don't believe everything you think....
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 04:27 PM

Barry

We should have been more prepared for drought, but we obviously aren't, considering that we somehow thought it was a good idea to put cities with millions of people and develop a huge agricultural industry in that desert. Now what? Tell everyone they need to move? Need to get your food somewhere else? Those are bitter pills to swallow.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  25

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.