Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: The Desert Hawks need your help........ *** Update ***
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 03:49 PM

Hard to be anon with Paypal .... but if you get the chance you can give anon at the motel or gas station.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 04:01 PM
re."anon. paypal donations"

Ralph,

I was responding to El Comandante Loco's comment,

"I happen to notice that there are more than 2000 views on this thread but something escapes me that there does not seem to be an over abundance of contributors.. Come on Nomads the life save by Desert Hawks could be your own."

His observation was so few in this post had mentioned they made a contribution.

To my knowledge when making a paypal transaction only the recipient and the donor, of course, are aware of the transaction. No one reading this thread would be aware, except the recipients.

Stopping at the Baja Cactus hotel/gas station is a great option as well!!

Ken

[Edited on 5-1-2015 by tripledigitken]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 04:06 PM

Yes Ken. You are absolutely correct. good way to keep this in everyone's face. I am personaly surprised between his El Rosario fundraiser and internet (facebook and NOMADS) campaign that he has not already raised $2500.
El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 04:46 PM

I understand that some may wish to remain anonymous and fully respect that.

I think it is time to have Antonio to post un update on the funds
raised and if more is needed I am willing to contribute more.....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 06:06 PM

Give until it hurts!

churro
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 11:06 PM

Count me in!
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 01:17 PM
Rescue Rig / Mini Pumper...

Dear BajaNomad friends...

After a lot of work and effort we were finally able to bring the Rescue Rig to El Rosario this past week. Our special thanks and applause to our dear friend John Hall ("bajamedic" here on BajaNomad) who not only found and negotiated this emergency vehicle for us but also brought it all the way down to San Diego, CA.

Unfortunately we were unable to find a proper temporal insurance for it, so we could not drive it down to San Diego. We had to rent a haul trailer which cost us $250 dollars more than we had initially considered.

Nevertheless, because the amazing response of all of you this did not stopped us and we kept moving forward.

The Rescue Rig is a 1978 GMC 3500 with 30,000+ original miles, is 4wd, has an integrated water pump, a 250 gallon capacity tank, a winch, portable generator and lots of cabinets for tools. Also has the space needed to retrieve an injured individual out from hard to reach places were an ambulance cannot enter.

Among other things, with this unit Desert Hawks now has the ability to move the Jaws of Life to wherever they are required, can attack any fire where our fire engine will not enter and do search and rescue operations in off road terrain.

In the days after we received it, our volunteers have been working on the vehicle, giving it some love and little by little bringing it to full operational status once again. It should be ready for action within the next 10 days.

Goal 2: Rescue Rig/Mini Pumper achieved!!!

In the next few days we will consolidate our information from both accounts of Commitment in the US and Mexico and will get back here with the results so we can know if we are ready for the next stage: the second ambulance and the water tender waiting for us in Washington State.

Our thanks and appreciation to all of you, without your help and support none of this could be possible... Together we can save lives!!!

The Desert Hawks Fire and Rescue Team

At Trinity Center.jpg - 47kB At San Diego.jpg - 44kB Thanks John and Vern.jpg - 45kB On its way to El Rosario.jpg - 44kB We have done it... Thank you!!!.jpg - 48kB

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 01:32 PM

So awesome. Thanks for the update Antonio.

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 11:40 PM

BUMP, TO DE BUMP, TO DE BUMP, TO DE BUMP, BUMP, BUMP!!!!

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 07:30 AM

Great news amigo!!!:bounce:

[Edited on 5-5-2015 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 11:51 AM

;););););)
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 01:41 PM
Desert Hawks fund raising goal reached...

The Desert Hawks would like to thank all the Baja Nomads who have helped raise money to bring more vehicles and equipment to El Rosario. Our goal for the moment has been reached.

The Desert Hawks are a non-profit charity and will always have a need for funds. We desire to only approach our Baja Nomads friends when there is a significant need or major new items have to be purchased or secured. The Desert Hawks hold various events in El Rosario to raise money for its day to days needs such as fuel, auto parts for maintenance, oxygen, bandages and other disposable rescue/medical supplies.

Communications... We are constantly looking to upgrade our services and are working with other rescue groups, both north and south of El Rosario, to bring the level of service as high as possible. Yesterday, Antonio met with a company that maintains a 2-meter radio system. There are two companies that do this in the central part of the peninsula. This particular company had been our first choice for a 2-meter system. It turns out the company was in the process of upgrading their system from analog to digital, which has the ability to enable communications from Ensenada to San Ignacio, BCS. The company was not ready for us but now it is. Some quick phone calls to a couple of large local organizations has secured the Desert Hawks a donation of some new digital radios which will allow us to use the new system. This is a first step to hopefully, in the near future, bring more of the rescue groups online to improve the service for all travelers. Possibly, in the future we will approach the Baja Nomads to help us expand the system so that any individual in the central part of Baja will be able to call in case of an emergency and get help as fast as possible.

Training... We are also looking to continue the training needed by our firefighters and EMT personnel so they can respond to as many different kinds of emergencies in the most efficient and professional way as possible. We have the ability to get more training out of El Rosario, the lack of a large vehicle to transport our volunteers to San Quintin, Colonia Guerrero, Ensenada and/or Tijuana is holding us back. We first need to secure the additional ambulance, water tender and SCBA's waiting for us in Washington States and bring them down to El Rosario before starting on yet another major project.

Desert Hawks Base Station... We are also looking forward to build our new home across the street from the gas station. Some work has been started, but the individual helping to do the site preparation was offered a position and is temporarily unavailable. The lack of equipment and qualified personnel can make many jobs much tougher that they appear. This will eventually also become a major project.

Trauma Unit... Another thing we would like to have, but will need government help on, is a well equipped, functioning trauma unit in El Rosario. We constantly risk losing a seriously injured patient due to the lack of a trauma unit and long distances to the nearest hospital. The ability to stabilize and better analyze a patient's needs would ensure the highest possible survival rate.

Our dreams and desires are very big, but we need to work on this one step at a time. We ask for your patience while each step is worked on. We feel that to do too much too quickly could mean a sacrifice in the services provided and that is not worth the cost.

In the meantime, the Desert Hawks fire, rescue team will always be ready to help and assist anyone in need. When you travel through the central part of Baja, the Desert Hawks will be with you all the way.

We again thank all Baja Nomads for their continued trust and support… together we are making a difference!!!

The Desert Hawks Fire and Rescue Team
Commitment, Inc

Logo Desert Hawks_Fire and Rescue.jpg - 47kB

BajaCactus
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 02:22 PM

Thanks for the update. I look forward to helping in any way possible as The Desert Hawks infrastructure grows.

That is a great logo, by the way, and if there was a way to purchase decals of this logo as a fundraising option, I'd buy more than a couple!!

I'll be coming thru in a few days and will drop a small donation off at the station.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 02:45 PM

Excellent Antonio.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 02:58 PM
Staicker/decals

Try these guys, they do a pretty good job

http://www.stickersbanners.com/

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Thanks for the update. I look forward to helping in any way possible as The Desert Hawks infrastructure grows.

That is a great logo, by the way, and if there was a way to purchase decals of this logo as a fundraising option, I'd buy more than a couple!!

I'll be coming thru in a few days and will drop a small donation off at the station.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 05:05 PM

Antonio, you should sell some T-shirts as well as stickers. I'm sure you can find a supplier south of the border that will give you the best bang for the buck! I'm a fan of rust colored shirts, they don't get dirty too fast while in Baja!

:biggrin:

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 10:16 AM
Emergency vehicles...

Dear BajaNomad friends,

Last week we were informed that the ambulance and water tender offered to Desert Hawks were ready for pickup. Thanks to the generous donations many of you have helped with, we were able to immediately start with the arrangements to bring them down to Baja.

As a result, we are now schedule to pick them up on June 2nd in Seattle, WA. Besides the ambulance and water tender, Firefighters Crossing Borders has secure for Desert Hawks some SCBAs (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus), VHF portable radios and an additional set of the Jaws of Life that we are also bringing down.

With all these equipment, plus the constant learning and training process our volunteers are going through, Desert Hawks will be able to provide a much better and adequate, professional emergency response to any calls we receive.

Thank you all for your and help support!!!

Desert Hawks Fire and Rescue
Together we can save lives...

Ambulance.jpg - 129kB Water Tender.jpg - 117kB

BajaCactus
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 10:27 AM

Very Nice!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 10:45 AM

Super duper Antonio!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2016 at 02:39 PM

An update until Antonio provides more details... Baja Angel and I were at Baja Cactus yesterday and spent some time with Antonio and Itzela (who handles the donations for Desert Hawks).

Antonio continues to work on providing the best emergency response possible for north-central Baja California and has been adding to his EMT training. Please read the earlier posts to this and other Desert Hawks posts on Nomad.

Here is my brief account of just one rescue story of late...

A serious roll-over accident near the L.A. Bay junction (an American), had Antonio (BajaCactus) go to action as nobody closer (Cataviña, Guerrero Negro, Bahia de L.A., etc.) would or could help! The man was laying in the sun for 4 hours with severe head and arm injuries before Desert Hawks could arrive. Calls to all other area ambulances far closer were made by Antonio when he was informed. 150 miles south to the scene and then 300 miles north to the Ensenada hospital were provided to help this man. The government does not provide this care, in Mexico. People like Antonio and others are what makes a difference.

We made a tiny donation and donated some new books I had in my truck. Proceeds from sales of my two books (sold at a discount price at the Baja Cactus Motel office) go to the Desert Hawks.

If anyone knows of a way to get a donation of a portable defibrillator please contact Andy (a-commit) or Antonio (BajaCactus)!
Thank you!!

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.