Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Rain Coming?
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 01:06 PM

I was really surprised when in Chula Vista a few weeks ago how many people in our old hood have replaced their lawns with artificial grass. Although that is probably an oil based product? which isn't great.

rain water harvesting is for sure the way to go! Although it is illegal now in several States, UGH!

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 02:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaLuna  
I was really surprised when in Chula Vista a few weeks ago how many people in our old hood have replaced their lawns with artificial grass. Although that is probably an oil based product? which isn't great.

rain water harvesting is for sure the way to go! Although it is illegal now in several States, UGH!

I hadn't heard about rainwater harvesting being illegal in some states...it isn't illegal in Texas, in fact you don't even need a permit. I did find a pretty good explanation of the notion that harvesting rainwater is illegal:

" I was kind of shocked at the number of Internet articles I've found (having just googled it) claiming that rainwater harvesting is "illegal." But on closer inspection, I find they are mostly repeats of each other, all making the same exaggerated claim, without citing any facts.

Rainwater harvesting is not illegal. It was heavily restricted in Colorado, Washington and Utah until 2009, but all three states have since relaxed their bans. In six or seven other states, rainwater harvesting is regulated -- you have to obtain a permit, which is in most cases is about making certain that your harvesting equipment doesn't contaminate groundwater -- but not illegal. (You have to obtain permits to construct houses or drive automobiles, but that doesn't make people claim such activities are "illegal.")

The guy in Colorado who was jailed for 30 days in 2012 had been denied his permit, but went ahead and built three giant reservoirs anyway -- in other words, his real offence was defying the state regulatory agency.

Anyway. The theory behind regulation of rainwater harvesting is simple: water falling from the sky is public property, not private property, and belongs in the water table where it can restore diminished streams and reservoirs. Those who collect it privately are "hoarding" it. Of course the opposite theory is: a person who uses rainwater first is consuming less public water.

The Internet, not being subject to any kind of screening or editing, is a great place to plant and spread misinformation for political purposes. Re-read any of those "rainwater collecting is illegal" articles and you'll note the political spin, which is a first hint that the article is exaggerated. Here is a link to one of the more balanced ones:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/..."

[Edited on 5-28-2015 by Mexitron]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 03:21 PM

It used to be illegal here, as the barrels of water become breeding ground for mosquitoes. Gray water recycling was also not allowed a while back for fear of biological contamination.

I am confident the drama of this "so-called" drought will end soon... just as it has many times before... NATURALLY.

The first 'modern' drought was in the early 90's, and I was selling lots of drip irrigation conversion products to folks who either wanted to or were instructed to stop sprinkler watering of planters. The very wet winters that followed had people going back to installing cheaper sprinklers and not maintaining the drip systems (many were poor quality or poorly installed).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 03:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajacamper  
The loony left is so easy to get cranked up. A glance to the right will do it every time. Funny!!

And what is the process when you glance to your left? :spingrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by bajacamper  
The loony left is so easy to get cranked up. A glance to the right will do it every time. Funny!!

And what is the process when you glance to your left? :spingrin:

That's just very painful for most... sometimes the pain sets in after 4 or 8 years, however! :light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 09:00 PM

Get ready for 8 more years of pain, Sunny Boy. :P

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 10:46 AM

Just let them snooze on. They have done more than enough damage.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 12:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

I'm waiting for the GOP to come up with another dozen or so candidates.
Got to find a decent one in that bunch somewhere.:light:
Maybe another try for McCain??:?::?::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 01:09 PM

Bernie Sanders will be the next president of the USA!

https://youtu.be/oHHzTdu6Clw

Freedom of speech does not mean the freedom to buy the United States government. Oil companies, pharmaceutical manufacturers, Wall Street bankers and other powerful special interests have poured money into our political system for years. In 2010, a bad situation turned worse. In a 5-4 decision in the Citizens United case, the Supreme Court opened the floodgates for corporations and the wealthy to spend unlimited and undisclosed money to buy our elected officials. The Supreme Court essentially declared that corporations have the same rights as natural-born human beings.

Our democracy is under fierce attack. Billionaire families are now able to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to buy the candidates of their choice. These people own most of the economy. Now they want to own our government as well. The Koch brothers, the second wealthiest family in America, plan to spend some $900 million in the coming 2016 election — more money than either of our major parties spent in the last election. That is not democracy. That is oligarchy. To restore our one person-one vote democracy, Congress must pass a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United and move toward public funding of elections.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 01:36 PM
Topic....Rain coming?

Who cares? It is much more fun throwing political barbs at each other!
I am waiting now to see who is the first one to say "Well he started it!"

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 01:42 PM

As the original poster am I able to edit out this entire post which has turned into drivel or worse? How? It doesn't appear we can even discuss the weather! Tio
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 01:43 PM

there has to be someone in the left that doesn't play with boys in the locker room shower and then pay 3 1/2 million dollars to keep it quiet. He shoul:biggrin:dn't have glanced at all.
sargentodiaz
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 01:53 PM

I've seen and read a number of reports indicating this is going to be an early and very active cyclone season. Not many hurricanes in the Atlantic but expectations for lots of activity in the eastern Pacific - US.

Already getting higher than usual waves.

Be interesting to see if what is happening in Texas will happen here. Theyv'e just made up for 5 years of severe drought.

Father Serra\'s Legacy @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com a History of California and the Franciscan missions.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 01:56 PM
Editing

Tio, I started a poorly conceived topic once, and was not able to remove it, only Doug can do that. About all you can do is remove your own text, but the topic and all other replies would still be there.
If you are done with it, you might try the report button and ask Doug to end it or move it to off topic.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 03:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It used to be illegal here, as the barrels of water become breeding ground for mosquitoes. Gray water recycling was also not allowed a while back for fear of biological contamination.

I am confident the drama of this "so-called" drought will end soon... just as it has many times before... NATURALLY.

The first 'modern' drought was in the early 90's, and I was selling lots of drip irrigation conversion products to folks who either wanted to or were instructed to stop sprinkler watering of planters. The very wet winters that followed had people going back to installing cheaper sprinklers and not maintaining the drip systems (many were poor quality or poorly installed).

Grey water doesn't have to be a breading ground for anything as long as it is done right. "so called" drought? The it is not a problem if we terminate water releases from up North and the Colorado river to San Dingo/Los Angeles area? DavidK. Where does a school teacher get $3.5 million for payoff money? About as smart as pretending there is no drought.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2015 at 12:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

I'm waiting for the GOP to come up with another dozen or so candidates.
Got to find a decent one in that bunch somewhere.:light:
Maybe another try for McCain??:?::?::biggrin:

Trump/Hastert 2016!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-30-2015 at 01:03 PM

...the drama of this "so-called" drought...

if you think "drought" is a misnomer, what should we call it? dryness? dearth? deficit? parchedness? deficit?

by "drama" do you mean to say that the collective we are being hysterical without reason? what do you think we should do? just go on as usual and cross our fingers that the rain and snow return next year?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2015 at 01:30 PM

So Cal needs to start a toilet to sink program instead of relying on everyone elses water.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2015 at 03:56 PM

Predicting future weather conditions, climate change, etc. is still nothing more than a prediction, and not science. Science is the study of what is and what was, not what might be:

In the May, 1940 issue of Desert Magazine (that's 75 years ago for those of you in Rio Linda or watching CNN & MSNBC):

RECORD DROUGHT IS
PREDICTED IN 1946

Super drought in 1946 with possibility
that Lake Mead will go dry in 25
years, was predicted by Halbert P. Gillette,
San Marino, California engineer in
discussion of geological calendar based
on silt deposits known as varves. Gillette
has spent 14 years studying varves, going
back 4200 years.
• • •

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-30-2015 at 04:08 PM

Predicting future weather conditions, climate change, etc. is still nothing more than a prediction, and not science. Science is the study of what is and what was, not what might be

Hmmmmmmm....

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.