BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  38    40    42  ..  60
Author: Subject: Arizonas new Imigration Bill(This has turned into a Rat Hole)
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 07:55 AM
What Were They Thinking?

Here's an article in the San Diego paper this morning. Looks like California's public boycott of Arizona is going to hurt CA much much more than it does AZ. Now this summer I'll be able to go down to the coastal beachs in southern cal without having to bump into a "Zonie". There should be lots of specials for restaurants, Sea World, golf courses or weekend getaways at the hotels.

Unfortunately many people will have to be let go because of the potential 50% lose of revenues in the restaurant and other tourist industries not to mention more San Diego City layoffs because of the loss of revenues to its General Fund. Way to go politicians and city officials thinking with your emotions instead of your brain. Here's an excerpt of the article. Google it for the full article.

"Some in Arizona canceling trips to S.D.
Outrage over local censure votes may be a misunderstanding
BY LORI WEISBERG, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
FRIDAY, MAY 14, 2010 AT 12:04 A.M.

"San Diego tourism leaders and hoteliers fear they could lose a sizable chunk of business this summer from valued “Zonies” who are so angered by elected leaders’ recent censure of Arizona for its illegal-immigration law that they’re mounting an informal boycott of their own………………..Still struggling from the prolonged economic downturn, San Diego’s visitor industry can ill afford to lose any of the 2 million Arizonans it counts on annually, said ConVis President Joe Terzi……………….Terzi said. “This affects all the hardworking men and women who count on tourism for their livelihoods, so we’re saying, don’t do something that hurts their livelihoods.”…………………… “I’ve been approached by a number of hotels who are very concerned because they’ve received cancellations from Arizona guests,” said Namara Mercer, executive director of the county Hotel-Motel Association. “It’s a huge piece of business for not just the hotels but for all of San Diego. Everybody’s excited because they think occupancies will be stronger this summer, and now this.”…………………………. “Nothing against the Sofia; however, wanted to let you know that we were planning on coming out in August and staying for 10-14 nights,” read the letter. “Since San Diego decided to boycott AZ, we decided to do our part and vacation elsewhere. Really sorry since we truly like staying at your place and will miss it.”………………………………….. “So you see when people in government start to boycott it goes both ways,” said one e-mail. “You just lost our visits to our favorite places in your city and the $3,500 we had in our budget to spend there.”…………………. Charles Holladay, manager of the Ramada Plaza in Mission Valley, noted that as much as 50 percent of his summer business originates in Arizona, and he already has received a cancellation from a regular customer.……………..“I understand the City Council was being passionate about their politics, but I don’t think they thought it through,” Holladay said. “If it negatively impacts hotel revenue, it impacts the transient occupancy tax, and that goes right into the general fund, so they’ll have less money for their programs.”…… “It’s sad that people would cancel their plans to come here in reaction to that, but I still think we did the right thing,” Jackson said. “Certainly, we know how important tourism is to San Diego, and it wasn’t my intent to impact the tourism trade.”

The politicians and officials might skip going to a convention in AZ on the taxpayers dime to prove a point but they will still get the vacation meeting somewhere else. However, the boycotting of both CA and AZ of each others tourist industries will cause many layoffs of people in the following trades, bussboys, waiters, dishwahers, maids, landscaping and other employees in the tourist businesses in both AZ & CA. What is that saying? Stupid is as stupid does!

Will this help your cause? As the Emperor of Japan said after his country attached Pearl Harbor "We are awaking up a sleeping tiger!"

[Edited on 5-14-2010 by Lobsterman]
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
Wow, Mexicorn you need to pull back with the harsh words just because people do not agree to accept illegal entry and how it is out of control with the number of those entering illegally. What is right to you is your opinion but you have probably never even met those you are painting as the worst examples you can find on the web. Your examples are really off the charts and not even reflective of these people you have focused on. I could pull just a many videos off web showing some really bad examples of those entering illegally with the death,drama,crime,misfortune they create for others and themselves, however that would be just as bias as yours. I do not know you but I do know and have met a number of nomads here on this forum and you are trying without any luck of attempting to paint them as something they are not. Calm down man, sure express your views but without such hate you claim others are showing. Your tactics just do not read well nor does anything you throw out there when you get to acting out in such a manner. Show your videos but stop painting others you do not know as something they are not. You do not even know of the things these people have done in the past or even now to help others. Now, this may come as surprise to you but yes they have to which some have even been people in and from Mexico. Wow, how could that have occurred if they were such mean bad people. Let your own hate and self image issues go. Don't waste your time blasting me as it runs off like water,as you would again not know anything about me either. Not knowing what I contribute or do not contribute to any other country or different culture of people. Now, do I approve of any group, especially when tempers and emotions on issues such as illegal entry, being armed without the training or authority to go after such offenders not only NO but Hell NO!! I also accept that would only be my opinion. Others would quickly disagree like my friend who lives in the a border town area that had his 88 year old mother raped by an illegal, beat to a bloody pulp, and then robbed. Now, would I be right in saying all those that support illegal immigrants right to keep breaking our laws are the same lowlife piece of crap that did this to this sweet elderly woman, No I would not. Thus, you too are not right putting forth twisted tales to paint these people as something they are not. Let it go and hopeful everytime I see your name in the future it at least leans a little to letting others have their say, just like you want yours without attacking them. Well, I have said my part and I know you will have yours but this topic is through with me, as I do not have time to give any encouragement to someone attacking others they do not know. Hope the sunshine and smell of the Ocean or desert cleans your views or at least calms them down. Hope this finds all Nomads well and safe, travel on for the fun of "No Hurry, No Worry, Just Fun" part of a life that really can happen "Believe It Or Not,":biggrin:;D LOL. bajafun777

All this from a person who lives in Brawley California?
Have you ever even been to Brawley?

PS I dont have to "Blast" you you're a bigot and it's clear as day in your writings.
You Whine and Whine saying Your not fair you've resorted to name calling and if it's not my opinion it doesn't count. Well my friend ( I do use that term loosly)you need to do some self interflection and ask why you dislike Mexicans so much.
This is 2010 not 1933 and the American peopple wont stand behind your racist Gov. and racist Sheriff Joe Arpiro. Nice try now isn't your shift watching that stretch of desert south of Yuma coming up. Dont forget your Bino's and maybe you can have some fun with the boy's removing those gallons of water out in the desert so people can die in the desert.
Your a fine patriot! Just keep telling yourself that!

[Edited on 5-14-2010 by Mexicorn]

Always looking over ones shoulder is no way to live.
Help stop the cowerdice involved in cyberbullying:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5270535_fight-adult-cyberbullying.ht...
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 08:29 AM

IMHO all Arizona did was say they are going to enforce the US Immigration laws already in effect. So what's the big deal? What part of the word illegal does anyone need explained?
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexicorn
The law is Unconstitutional.

Do you mean that police officers enforcing existing laws made by the US government is unconstitutional?????:?::?:
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
Quote:
The law is Unconstitutional.

Do you mean that police officers enforcing existing laws made by the US government is unconstitutional?????:?::?:

Can you say R-A-C-I-A-L P-R-O-F-I-L-I-N-G of people or persons with Brown Skin? Who may not look anglo?

Is this the way Law Enforcement is leaning in The US? If so it is a sad trend. I'll bet most of you right wingers wont even look at this video I copied from youtube because it might interfere with your stedfast commitment to this outrageous new Racist law. Man I'm never going to Arizona again!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxPFHSF8sXg&feature=relat...

Here's another fine example Sheriff's Deputies have been instructed to pull over vehicles for minor traffic violations in order to check a persons immigration status. Now I wonder how they go about deciding which vehicle they will target for infractions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NneBLeZPaow&feature=relat...

Both copied from youtube-

oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
IMHO all Arizona did was say they are going to enforce the US Immigration laws already in effect.

States can't do that. Immigration responsibility and authority is limited to the Federal governement. The law is unconstitutional on that basis and for several other reasons.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 09:12 AM

This arguement here has become ridiculous. the term, "Racist", has become so diluted from over-use, it has little meaning anymore. The word has become synonamous with "disagreeable."
When all of the dust settles over this issue and everybody has developed some weird sense of victory for their efforts, the larger problem will still be looming large in front of their eyes....the border. Illegal immigrant entry isn't the only thing burning trails through the back-country. The flow of drugs across the border is far more insidious than people who are looking for a job.
This point has been put aside recently, but it must be addressed. The border must be returned to our control.
I sure hope this doesn't sound racist, but I'm sure it will to somebody.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 09:17 AM

Racial Profiling? Maybe so, after all, most of the illegals in question are of Mexican origin. A better term might be "Reverse Affirmative Action".:yes:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lobsterman
Here's an article in the San Diego paper this morning. Looks like California's public boycott of Arizona is going to hurt CA much much more than it does AZ. Now this summer I'll be able to go down to the coastal beachs in southern cal without having to bump into a "Zonie". There should be lots of specials for restaurants, Sea World, golf courses or weekend getaways at the hotels.

Unfortunately many people will have to be let go because of the potential 50% lose of revenues in the restaurant and other tourist industries not to mention more San Diego City layoffs because of the loss of revenues to its General Fund. Way to go politicians and city officials thinking with your emotions instead of your brain. Here's an excerpt of the article. Google it for the full article.

"Some in Arizona canceling trips to S.D.
Outrage over local censure votes may be a misunderstanding
BY LORI WEISBERG, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
FRIDAY, MAY 14, 2010 AT 12:04 A.M.

"San Diego tourism leaders and hoteliers fear they could lose a sizable chunk of business this summer from valued “Zonies” who are so angered by elected leaders’ recent censure of Arizona for its illegal-immigration law that they’re mounting an informal boycott of their own………………..Still struggling from the prolonged economic downturn, San Diego’s visitor industry can ill afford to lose any of the 2 million Arizonans it counts on annually, said ConVis President Joe Terzi……………….Terzi said. “This affects all the hardworking men and women who count on tourism for their livelihoods, so we’re saying, don’t do something that hurts their livelihoods.”…………………… “I’ve been approached by a number of hotels who are very concerned because they’ve received cancellations from Arizona guests,” said Namara Mercer, executive director of the county Hotel-Motel Association. “It’s a huge piece of business for not just the hotels but for all of San Diego. Everybody’s excited because they think occupancies will be stronger this summer, and now this.”…………………………. “Nothing against the Sofia; however, wanted to let you know that we were planning on coming out in August and staying for 10-14 nights,” read the letter. “Since San Diego decided to boycott AZ, we decided to do our part and vacation elsewhere. Really sorry since we truly like staying at your place and will miss it.”………………………………….. “So you see when people in government start to boycott it goes both ways,” said one e-mail. “You just lost our visits to our favorite places in your city and the $3,500 we had in our budget to spend there.”…………………. Charles Holladay, manager of the Ramada Plaza in Mission Valley, noted that as much as 50 percent of his summer business originates in Arizona, and he already has received a cancellation from a regular customer.……………..“I understand the City Council was being passionate about their politics, but I don’t think they thought it through,” Holladay said. “If it negatively impacts hotel revenue, it impacts the transient occupancy tax, and that goes right into the general fund, so they’ll have less money for their programs.”…… “It’s sad that people would cancel their plans to come here in reaction to that, but I still think we did the right thing,” Jackson said. “Certainly, we know how important tourism is to San Diego, and it wasn’t my intent to impact the tourism trade.”

The politicians and officials might skip going to a convention in AZ on the taxpayers dime to prove a point but they will still get the vacation meeting somewhere else. However, the boycotting of both CA and AZ of each others tourist industries will cause many layoffs of people in the following trades, bussboys, waiters, dishwahers, maids, landscaping and other employees in the tourist businesses in both AZ & CA. What is that saying? Stupid is as stupid does!

Will this help your cause? As the Emperor of Japan said after his country attached Pearl Harbor "We are awaking up a sleeping tiger!"

I would like it if the racists would not visit San Diego. I hope they stay home and enjoy the heat and humidity of Aurgust in Zonieland. We in San Diego will start a new tourism campaign: "racists not welcome." Good people will flock to San Diego, and tourism businesses will thrive!

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

p.s. when you boycott someone and you hold the morally superior high ground, it is silly to care about the gutter trash threatening a reverse boycott.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Here's another fine example Sheriff's Deputies have been instructed to pull over vehicles for minor traffic violations in order to check a persons immigration status. Now I wonder how they go about deciding which vehicle they will target for infractions.

How can you continue to wonder why? You just told us why. Traffic violations. Haven't you ever been pulled over for a minor traffic violation?
You have to start answering some questions.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 09:30 AM

You liberals are really hung up on that racist thing. Protect the border, oh yea, racism. Not sympathetic towards lawbreakers, you got it, racism. Don't like refried beans, what else, must be a racist. This racism crapola has gotten old and mouldy.:biggrin:
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

How can you continue to wonder why? You just told us why. Traffic violations. Haven't you ever been pulled over for a minor traffic violation?
You have to start answering some questions.

No problemo with the traffic infractions but if it's used to hunt for people of color that's the 2 ton elephant in the living room. Is the traffic infraction a fishing expedition with the underlying issue being He/She looks like a Mexican therefore look for the infraction or any reason to pull them over. The Deputy said it himself. Is this what we have been reduced to?
I wont have any part of it. I'll speak out against racism until I breathe my last breath. Dont kid yourself this isn't about anything else-;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwXvLQXo7hw&feature=relat...

Copied from youtube.

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 09:51 AM

You just do not get it. Zonies will go someplace else for a vacation they had planned and saved for all year. It just will not be in CA. And why are people who boycott CA a racist? They are just hard working, church going, responsible, law bidding americans who are going to spend their money where they are welcomed and/or not discriminated against by the actions of misguided politicians and elected officials.

A lot more Zonies go to CA then people in CA go to AZ. A lot more. The sleeping tiger is waking up.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lobsterman
They are just hard working, church going, responsible, law bidding americans who are going to spend their money where they are welcomed and/or not discriminated against.

yes, Californians are "responsible, law bidding americans who are going to spend their money where they are welcomed and/or not discriminated against." They will not be spending their money in zonie land where the locals discriminate against non-whites
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 10:08 AM

Granted. You're correct in your reasoning, i.e. the 3 people in CA that had planned on visiting AZ for a vacation this year will probably not go. That's too bad cuz it'll hurt their economy some. Let's see how the reverse scenario plays out this summer.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 10:09 AM

We are all racist to some degree. We are historically a majority Anglo Culture and our Nationalistic Vitriol often manifests in belligerism. However, most are just not aware of their own racism.

Some are self-admittedly racist. Some practice it surreptitiously. It is more prominent in some regions than in others.Peer groups support and propagate racism. For some it is lack of understanding, leading to intolerance of cultures that are different than one's own. For some, the color of one's skin is symbolic for their intolerance and that colors their psyche with hate.

By the way I was raised and by my life's experience in traveling, reading and socially interacting with people of many different cultures, I detest racism and racists. It makes me angry! One has to keep monitoring one's own reactions and attitudes when differences clash. You have to work at it...if you want to. Some have no desire to. And yes, "reverse racism exists too. How could it not?

When I see someone who is hurt emotionally as a victim of racism, I hurt too; bleeding heart, if you will. I also realize that by not being a victim of racism within my own culture, my hurt is not as debilitating as it is for the victim. Mine is more of an empathetic hurt.

While I clearly fall into one side of this debate, I don't want to get into the back and forth arguing. It is futile and non productive.

I do have friends who hold views different than my own and we try to find other common ground. I am practicing non-confrontational interactions and am trying to not be as outspoken as I have been in the past. Although this is not easy, it can be accomplished by occasionally biting my tongue. Most people have endearing, redeeming qualities outside of politics and religion. :light::coolup:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
No problemo with the traffic infractions but if it's used to hunt for people of color that's the 2 ton elephant in the living room.

"IF" it is, as you say, I'll agree with you. But to this point it hasn't, at least not so you can prove it, so why do you condemn anybody or anything that hasn't happened as a matter of policy?
Allow me to paraphrase from one of the most illogical, wornout placard statements the libs like to clutter the streets with; No police officer is illegal.
That being the case, why do you treat them as condemned?
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 10:18 AM

Tony you are wise past your years.
Also started looking for information regarding Sheriff Joe Arpaio since he seems to have an agenda against anyone who crosses him. What I found is a coward hiding behind a bagde.

Please review and also keep in mind that not all of his victims are of Latin decent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F1jH6-3UeY&feature=relat...

Copied from youtube.

k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
No problemo with the traffic infractions but if it's used to hunt for people of color that's the 2 ton elephant in the living room.

"IF" it is, as you say, I'll agree with you. But to this point it hasn't......

It doesn't go into effect until July 29th.

This is the part of the law I really don't like:

"makes it illegal to harbor, transport, conceal or shield someone you know or should know is in this country illegally"

So if a wife who is a legal citizen knows her husband is illegal and he is caught, is she also guilty of a crime. Perhaps they're both in a car, he's driving, gets pulled over for speeding and subsequently arrested for being illegal. Does she get arrested too?

If so, doesn't this go way beyond federal law?

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/border/article_b5e2cdf5-8707...

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2010 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico

This is the part of the law I really don't like:

"makes it illegal to harbor, transport, conceal or shield someone you know or should know is in this country illegally"

There's nothing new about this. Good Samaritans working in the desert distributing water to predetermined spots can't and won't take a person to a hospital if they find him almost dead from dehydration.
There is a lot of uglyness involved with this issue, but there can't be exceptions for every perceived occasion.
 Pages:  1  ..  38    40    42  ..  60

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.