Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  38    40    42  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 08:57 AM

Thanks for your post. I'm sure all Nomads will understand and do nothing (other than good wishes) until you ask for assistance.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 11:03 AM

I agree with abs, surely no one will intentionally disrespect your wishes.

Please let us know any news, good, bad or ugly as soon as you can.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 03:33 PM

Of course, no one would interfere or act in any other manner than pure respect and support of the Patton family.

Please let us know how we can continue to assist you, friends.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
SoCalPattonCrew
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 06:13 PM

Thank you all for your well wishes. We will post an update as soon as we receive more information from our family currently in Baja.
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 3-19-2014 at 08:13 PM

There is a realtor in San Quintin, Jonathan Mendez, who is fairly active in the area west of Catavina. He may have some personal contacts out there that will help you. I don't know how to post links, but he should pop up in a google search with his name and San Quintin.

He is a very good guy, and speaks excellent English.

Do I remember correctly that this was one of the areas Gary was thought to have headed to in the beginning?

I do so hope that this is a solid lead and will yield results!
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 10:27 AM

I have been in contact with the family ever since they received the call from the Catavina Police the night before last. Garys son and brother drove down early yesterday morning and met with officials from San Quintin and they were kind enough to drive both of them to Catavina where they finally saw Garys 4 Runner. The vehicle had been towed to the Village of Catavina. The vehicle was located in a remote area and apparently was stuck in the sand. Local men on horseback found the vehicle with Garys expensive camera, surfboard, clothes, and an ice chest full of rotten food.

I don't know the exact location where the 4 Runner was found but I'm assuming it was off a dirt road, hidden from view, and several miles from Hwy. 1. When the family has the exact location it will be posted. Garys vehicle was in very good condition and apparently had not been ransacked and the horsemen were the first to find it.

Garys son and brother are now in San Quintin preparing to get the vehicle in running condition and bring it back across the border.

The last photo taken by Gary was dated 09/05/2013. This is the day he checked out of Hotel Jardines in San Quintin and was last seen.

I was asked by Garys sister to write this post and inform you all of what has currently taken place. She asked me what I would do now that we have the vehicle and it's last know location. I told her I would go to where the vehicle was found and start out from there and search for Gary.

In September, especially early in the month, it is extremely hot in this area. I am assuming Gary went looking for help to get his vehicle out of the sand and met his demise.

I have never been involved in a search operation like this before and I am sure someone on this board would have ideas on how this can be accomplished. The family has never given up hope that Gary would eventually be found and now, knowing what we know, a search effort definitely needs to be conducted.

The family does not have the funds to perform a search hiring professionals to do this but if we can somehow put together a search party with Nomads and others who have done this before it would put this issue to rest once and for all. I know if it was one of my family members I would never give up attempting to find out what exactly happened and have my loved ones remains returned to me. I think all of you can appreciate that being said.

Please give your thoughts about what I have posted and lets put an end to this tragic disappearance.

As soon as I know, or the family knows, more information it will be posted immediately.

As far as myself and the family you all have been more than kind with your well wishes and never ending concern regarding this man that loved Baja, it's people, and his adventurous spirit.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 10:34 AM

Lizardlips, it sounds like you have a good plan and I sure hope others join you in the hunt.

Please be sure to take up island's suggestion and ask the realtor to help.

The desert is as brutal as it is beautiful, pls be careful.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 10:39 AM

I forgot to mention that the keys for the vehicle were found inside and his wallet was not found.

Until we know the exact location where the 4 Runner was found then we can discuss contacting others for help on the next step.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 10:47 AM

I am wondering why the rush to tow the vehicle away from where it was found, unless the scene was gone over to see evidence of what direction he walked from the 4Runner? Any good trackers here on Nomad?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 10:52 AM

There are still a lot of questions that need to be answered David so until we receive a copy of the police report and discuss this with the authorities involved we can move forward.
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 10:55 AM

One would think that depending on how far off the main road the vehicle was found that he would have made a decision to back track or to proceed ahead but in either instance to stay on the road where he would most likely find help? We had all hoped for a happier ending but I think the family is getting close to some answers.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 10:57 AM

10-4 Dan, thank you!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 11:05 AM

With all the surfers and Mexican fishermen that use those roads to get to the coast, I'm really surprised it was not found sooner. He must have pulled well off the main dirt road and headed up a sandy wash looking for a good camping place for the night and gotten stuck. There aren't too many sandy areas for camping along that rocky road to the coast; when you need one and see a sandy wash you take it. Drive far enough and your vehicle is hidden.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 11:11 AM

I am not the expert, but Hopefully we have one person coordinate a search (knowing where everyone is and marking off searched areas on the map).

With a little advance notice I am sure that we can have ATV, motorcycle, and capable off-road vehicles join the search.

Communication gear (radios and GPS's) will be necessary....an expert will know the drill. don't need others getting lost.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 11:17 AM

All good advice... and once again a good time to remind everyone... if you get stuck in sand, no matter 2WD or 4WD vehicle... let the air out of all 4 tires... to ~10 psi for starters if you are stuck, and if you don't have a gauge, then when you see tire tires bulging. Clear any built up sand from in front of the tires so there won't be any 'hill' holding you from rolling forward. Don't spin the tires if you stop moving... because then you are only going to move DOWN... and will need to dig out more sand.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 11:27 AM

Spot on Ralph......the thing of it is, you guys have to find the exact location where the vehicle was and with the winds we have been having, there are no tracks for miles and miles. It will indeed have to be a coordinated hunt.

Come visit La Bocana

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
I am not the expert, but Hopefully we have one person coordinate a search (knowing where everyone is and marking off searched areas on the map).

With a little advance notice I am sure that we can have ATV, motorcycle, and capable off-road vehicles join the search.

Communication gear (radios and GPS's) will be necessary....an expert will know the drill. don't need others getting lost.

if the car was found in catavina boulder fields, you will get farther on foot, atvs will just get you down roads and easy paths, but wont help in following logical hiking paths.

suggest you search the logical paths from stuck car back to civilization. keep in mind that if he was following road or wash back to highway to seek help, he probably cut corners to shorten walking distance, so you will want to hike the logical hiking short cuts along vehicle route. also he may have been overlanding away from vehicle path if he thought that shorter

at this time it is a body search, so no rush. Get a map of location where car was found, then you can start planning. not much point in planning if you don't know location car was found.

sad conclusion, but at least he died doing something he enjoyed, eh?
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Spot on Ralph......the thing of it is, you guys have to find the exact location where the vehicle was and with the winds we have been having, there are no tracks for miles and miles. It will indeed have to be a coordinated hunt.

Cataviņa also gets pounded with thunder storms (been in several in that area over the years) those too will wash away any tracks. Plus, there are a lot of cattle, horses and donkeys out there. Sadly, given the time that has passed, all that can really be done is attempt to find a body by walking systematic transects in the area of the vehicle, and possibly along the sides of the main dirt roads.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 12:09 PM

Post says the car was found by the Ocean. I am surprised it hadn't been found earlier. This year was very busy with surfers in that area. (Most I have ever seen by far).

I'm curious on the exact location. I spent 14 days in the area this winter and did a lot of driving around. Also, this area experienced a lot of rainfall this past summer as the lowlands were full of water and lots of mud.

I would be willing to travel down for a few days in help search, please PM me if needed.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 12:10 PM

There are many that think that when your in Mexico the police and locals are corrupt and will take advantage of any type of situation that leaves you helpless.

What has recently happened with finding Garys vehicle and all of the valuables left inside I take my hat off to those that were involved and allowing the family to recover what was found.

This information needs to get past this Nomads site and show that Mexico, it's officials, and citizens are honest and respectful.

Bad things happen anywhere in the world but honesty and respect for others is still alive and well here in Mexico.
 Pages:  1  ..  38    40    42  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.