Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  39    41    43  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 12:12 PM
Searching

This link shows the various types of search patterns used by CAP and SAR units.

Although it references aircraft, it gives a general idea on how searches are conducted and these patterns can be adapted to foot searches.

http://tinyurl.com/kwqn7gx

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
There are many that think that when your in Mexico the police and locals are corrupt and will take advantage of any type of situation that leaves you helpless.

What has recently happened with finding Garys vehicle and all of the valuables left inside I take my hat off to those that were involved and allowing the family to recover what was found.

This information needs to get past this Nomads site and show that Mexico, it's officials, and citizens are honest and respectful.

Bad things happen anywhere in the world but honesty and respect for others is still alive and well here in Mexico.

Hear hear!
Excellent point LL

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 12:25 PM

I was thinking the same thing. The honesty and integrity of the Mexican police in this case must be lauded.
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
There are many that think that when your in Mexico the police and locals are corrupt and will take advantage of any type of situation that leaves you helpless.

What has recently happened with finding Garys vehicle and all of the valuables left inside I take my hat off to those that were involved and allowing the family to recover what was found.

This information needs to get past this Nomads site and show that Mexico, it's officials, and citizens are honest and respectful.

Bad things happen anywhere in the world but honesty and respect for others is still alive and well here in Mexico.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
Post says the car was found by the Ocean. I am surprised it hadn't been found earlier. This year was very busy with surfers in that area. (Most I have ever seen by far).

I'm curious on the exact location. I spent 14 days in the area this winter and did a lot of driving around. Also, this area experienced a lot of rainfall this past summer as the lowlands were full of water and lots of mud.

I would be willing to travel down for a few days in help search, please PM me if needed.

not to mention the Baja 1000 last November
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
Post says the car was found by the Ocean. I am surprised it hadn't been found earlier. This year was very busy with surfers in that area. (Most I have ever seen by far).

I'm curious on the exact location. I spent 14 days in the area this winter and did a lot of driving around. Also, this area experienced a lot of rainfall this past summer as the lowlands were full of water and lots of mud.

I would be willing to travel down for a few days in help search, please PM me if needed.

I'm curious too, trying to think of "sandy" areas that would be so far away from the main coast road out there. The wash at Punta Lazaro is pretty wide and can be driven up a ways. Santa Maria Dunes too, but not hard to walk out for help there....Suppose the chalk pits swallowed his car somewhere like the Cono/Blanca run?
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 01:53 PM

the chalk pits were what i was thinking. like you said mexitron, sm dunes would be a fairly easy trek to help. if he got stuck on an actual beach along there his vehicle would certainly have been pounded by surf and swept away.

either way, a terrible situation. prayers to the family...
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 01:55 PM

My condolences to the family, as it appears this has become a recovery mission rather than a rescue. I'm very sorry.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 03:54 PM

A sad and unexpected, for me, ending. I was almost sure that at that age, Gary had been overwhelmed by someone wanting his possessions.

This should be a reminder to always carry water with you in Baja, far more than you think you need. This misfortune was preventable.

There should be a discussion on what you(we) should do to have this not happen to you.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
This should be a reminder to always carry water with you in Baja, far more than you think you need. This misfortune was preventable.

As well as never travel off the beaten path alone.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 04:02 PM

Just let me know where to join-up, and I can be there in half a day with my quad, camping gear, and ready to do extensive hiking. I have only VHF and Family band radios, and no GPS.

I am standing by. my cell is 615 161 7546, and I check Nomads maniacally including u2u.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
A sad and unexpected, for me, ending. I was almost sure that at that age, Gary had been overwhelmed by someone wanting his possessions.

There should be a discussion on what you(we) should do to have this not happen to you.

yes, Igor. but it should be a tread of its own.. It will be filled with pictures of tire tracks and instructions on how much air you should have in your tires.

This thread deserves a life of its own.

[Edited on 3-20-2014 by rts551]
renebruz

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

I don't agree, not everyone travels with someone, or wants to. I just spent 3 weeks doing 2,500 miles down all around, traveled alone the entire time, drove offroad a ton, all in a lil subie outback, even that rock road from hwy 1 to coco's corner, and that crazy section along the ocean up to Bahia Asuncion, that road was scary in that there really was not much of a clear marking you had to use common sense and keep within site of the power lines, knowing that they would lead to a village. The key is to check in with people, that is where it could have helped. I bought a at&t card so I was able to make calls in towns before I went off the beaten path ( had 10 gals of water and tons of pasta with me always, power bars as well). On the flipside there is NOT guarantee that's he's passed, he very well could have found a ride, he very well could be sick and just being taken care of somewhere, to claim he's dead is not right, didn't you all see the guy floating out in the ocean for over 1 year, he was found alive. There is hope! Remember humans are where they are because of others that did venture off the beaten path !!!!

[Edited on 3-20-2014 by renebruz]
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 04:29 PM

Sorry bud, but the two roads that you "even" drove all alone are heavily traveled dirt freeways compared to remote two track. It has been SIX MONTHS. You don't think the family that is nursing him back to health out in the desert hasn't been to town to mention that they have a dying gringo at their house? Even his family isn't as optimistic as you. I judge that you are on the wrong track.

And welcome to the forum!

[Edited on 3-20-2014 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Majorcynik

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 04:56 PM

You should contact Ralph at Rancho Santa Inez. He did S&R in San Diego and knows the whole area like the back of his hand. Has 4x4 and quad as well.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

solitude in the wilderness is wonderful. the risks are worth it.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 05:14 PM

Depending on when this search is conducted, my family and I may be able to assist.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

solitude in the wilderness is wonderful. the risks are worth it.

Your timing for this is questionable, Sr. Goat, although I know what you mean.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 05:59 PM

i don't see where anyone said his rig was near the ocean. Can someone quote that blurb? there is sand everywhere along that stretch, not just near the ocean.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalPattonCrew
URGENT update to our fellow nomads.
Late last night we received a phone call from a police commander in Catavinia that Gary's ​4r​unner had been found. Articles in the vehicle appear to confirm it is Gary's.. The vehicle was found by the ocean, not sure where, but we'll report back as soon as we know more.

Woody......ocean reference above.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 06:11 PM

hmmmm.............

Pages:  1  ..  39    41    43  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.