Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  40    42    44  ..  68
Author: Subject: Jimena
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Sounds good, one question---how do you decide what goes where---which town, which area, etc. and in the outlying areas, who distributes the items?

:lol::lol: The birth of BUREAUCRACY. :lol::lol:
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 10:57 AM

Diane good point/s .. plus, if roads are out the $ then what?

What we are offering to do is be the recipient of funds sent to an account opened specifically for Jimena Relief and then wire received funds to whomever says they are willing to be the recipient of those funds 'there' and see that it is spent as needed ... be it Mulege or ...

I suppose it may be important to have some sort of a "Majority" Nomad agreement that the person who accepts funds has been deemed an acceptable and trustworthy one by the frequenters here ..

I really have to leave now and will check back on return ..

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboMagic
I suppose it may be important to have some sort of a "Majority" Nomad agreement that the person who accepts funds has been deemed an acceptable and trustworthy one by the frequenters here ..

It's too late to be looking for that one person. The area is too large..the damage too extensive. It can't be done.
Efforts and money have to be allocated carefully and quietly. A lot of people will wonder why they weren't included. What do you tell them?
Refine your efforts and do what can be done. If you try to do it all, you will surely come up short.

Again, this illustrates the need for pre-planning.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboMagic
Diane good point/s .. plus, if roads are out the $ then what?

What we are offering to do is be the recipient of funds sent to an account opened specifically for Jimena Relief and then wire received funds to whomever says they are willing to be the recipient of those funds 'there' and see that it is spent as needed ... be it Mulege or ...

I really have to leave now and will check back on return ..

Thanks Lori, and I would trust you completely---not a problem.

I guess I still hope to see ways of getting help to some of the more isolated areas like Lopez Mateos----not that I do not think Mulege needs TONS of help, but I also think they will receive more of the publicity and possibly more help than some of the other areas. Just thinking out loud--

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Refine your efforts and do what can be done. If you try to do it all, you will surely come up short.

I agree, a narrow focus is probably best for anyone wanting to help----a narrow focus on one area be it Mulege or somewhere else. It is all quite overwhelming.

I do think it is great they are willing to help, once again.

Diane

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:08 AM

thanks for thinking of us but we wouldn't have a clue

i think the rotary is the way to go

they do GREAT work for the community

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Charise

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:10 AM

My parents are Marv & Cathy Perrigo....they live right on the river a few doors down from the Serinidad. We are very worried and have not heard from them since yesterday. If anyone has news about them, please let me know. We are worried sick about everyone down there.

charisesalivar@yahoo.com

Thank you!
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:10 AM

Nice sub-link in the Weather Underground site that tracks the path of Jimena using Google Maps. You can zoom in using the satellite/road image to see where it went...of course it's real path was much wider, but shows where the center was, and is forecast to be.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:11 AM

On a lighter side...

In the San Diego Union Tribune today just saw a quote by Shari Bondy about Jimena. Guess you and Juan are the go to's for weather updates!

My step-son is up here visiting from Cabo with plans to return to university on the 7th. Guess he'll have to fly down. I'm assuming the road will be unpassable for a while??

Keep safe all. H.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:11 AM

Continuing on Dennis' suggestion:
The Mulege donations should be given to those who rebuild on real estate that is safe from future flooding. This is becoming a regular phenomena and rebuilding the same homes makes little sense.

Following Diane's thoughts:
There are few nomads in Constitucion, Lopez Mateos, and San Carlos, but from the sound of it there are more people in trouble there than in Mulege. The contribution of nomads pales with what is required for baja.
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:14 AM

Bob and Susan have you heard from anyone in Bahia Conception about the conditions in Coyote Bay, Burro or Posada?
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
thanks for thinking of us but we wouldn't have a clue

i think the rotary is the way to go

they do GREAT work for the community

Well, you are obviously OK---good to hear from you.

EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:17 AM

I'm starting to recover from my early a.m. shock.

The mud is till settling. I concur that travel plans need to be fluid, and don't go till at least gas on the hwy is assured and roads are open. Don't go without being self-sufficient for all needs.

Disaster relief for Mulege:

In-kind donations- can be distributed by the Bomberos or by the Padre at the Mission. Some individuals may also distribute on a case by case basis. Bomberos are organized. Love the Padre but the Church is not set up as an outreach affair, so they set up tables or piles at the Mission and people (any people) come and take. Best bet is the Bomberos, that's where ours went after John.

Money- after H.John, International Community Foundation in San Diego set up a fund specifically for Mulege/Santa Rosalia. ICF needs a partner org to handle distribution, and one in Manhattan Beach (maybe its Rotary?) claims StaRosalia as sister city, so they were the conduit. That worked brilliantly. Keep checking their website: http://www.icfdn.org/; they are in San Diego and do a lot around TJ/Ensenada but help w/a variety of Baja, Mainland and other causes. They activated a stand-by fund and internet link on their website at my request after John, and I have contacted them to do the same again this time. ICF may need to think broader than Mulege, Constitucion and outlying poblados were also slammed hard.
Also after H.John, Mulege Student Scholarship Program, Inc, a California non-profit organized a fund for the high school library which was 80% ruined. We can do that again as the library had to have 10 feet of water and all books will be ruined. Wife Ann & I run that org, founded 1987 and we have 135 high school & 49 college graduates to the credit of our Program's sponsors who are all private donors like you and me. Jimena will probably be a different animal, probably more general relief will be needed; we will have to see how that shakes out. If you want to donate thru us, we will see that all proceeds are well spent. Paypal can come thru me: mike at fleming dot cc (not dot com), or you can send a check to MSSPI or spell it out, 1284 Vintage Way, Auburn, CA 95603. If you send by email, I will email back our latest annual report and your receipt; if by mail we will receipt by mail. My current thinking is monitor direct needs and stock up for that, and reserve some leftovers to help the school library (which never got back to pre-John book stacks I'm sorry to report), but I'll post our spending plan as it firms.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Beachgirl
Doubt there will be a problem.

Relief/charity can be detained at the border indefinitly. They don't turn a kind eye to that sort of thing from the US. In fact, they prefer to see it as an insult. "How dare you North Americans imply that we wont or can't take care of ourselves."
Believe me, this is the prevalent attitude.

Yep, We're loading up with supplies for people in our region who are hit hard-I have collected basic things to facilitate eating, cooking stuff and what non-perishable food we can gather, and simple clothes. From previous experience, its not easy to get across the border over loaded with clearly relief stuff without being accosted a bit but once south its smooth sailing. For this reason I prepare packages to drop off at each stop.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Continuing on Dennis' suggestion:
The Mulege donations should be given to those who rebuild on real estate that is safe from future flooding. This is becoming a regular phenomena and rebuilding the same homes makes little sense.

Following Diane's thoughts:
There are few nomads in Constitucion, Lopez Mateos, and San Carlos, but from the sound of it there are more people in trouble there than in Mulege. The contribution of nomads pales with what is required for baja.

Thanks Igor.....Again and again we see the diversity of the problem. Victims are victims...some need assistance and some don't.
I wouldn't want to be the administrator of this fund without guidelines to follow but, wouldn't it be nice if those poor folks in San Carlos, Constitution and Lopez Mateos got a little help? It would be nice if everybody got a little help but, where do you begin?
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:27 AM

thoughts are with all of you!!!!!!!!!!
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:28 AM

Re: crossing the border w/donations:

There is a new regime in charge at MX Customs. I cannot recommend highly enough, and I rarely shout, DO NOT TRY TO CROSS THE BORDER W/DONATIONS OF GOODS WITHOUT PAYING DUTY!!!!!!

They may not collect any, or they may confiscate your load and fine you. This is going to be what it will be, not what we wish for.

Any donations I collect will be manifested in order to pay the ~15% duty charge for importation of goods. After John a great deal of in-kind donation material crossed with a waive once Mulege was mentioned. This ended after a couple of months, tho exceptions happened even after that. If I don't have to pay the duty, great, more for the next trip as I'm sure there will be at least 3 trips for me at this point. But I PLAN TO STOP & PAY DUTY EACH TIME AND RECOMMEND YOU DO ALSO. Then I'll make the case & see what good will comes. Worst case, there is a 15% or so duty charge to make a donation to Mexico. Their state, their rules. It is what it is, and w/the new Customs regime, please be prepared for the worst (which isn't all that onerous) and expect the best.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:32 AM

I will do this if you all feel comfortable with me setting it up.

My paypal address is mitchellsd@cox.net to add funds.

I have contacted paypal to determine the following info on fees:
In order to reduce their fees a non profit organization and documents would need to be set up. I don't have that.
Anyone out there have an NPO that we know and trust?
Otherwise the fees are 2.9% + 30 cents, so $3.20 comes out of $100 bucks.

I will contact Jim Christopher to see if he wants to collect the funds as before with John or refer me to someone else. He had 8 feet of mud in his house from John, so I fear their home may be gone from this one.

#####HOLD EVERYTHING#####

See EngineerMikes post
He's the guy
I'm out!

[Edited on 9-3-2009 by Gadget]

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike
I'm starting to recover from my early a.m. shock.

The mud is till settling. I concur that travel plans need to be fluid, and don't go till at least gas on the hwy is assured and roads are open. Don't go without being self-sufficient for all needs.

Disaster relief for Mulege:

In-kind donations- can be distributed by the Bomberos or by the Padre at the Mission. Some individuals may also distribute on a case by case basis. Bomberos are organized. Love the Padre but the Church is not set up as an outreach affair, so they set up tables or piles at the Mission and people (any people) come and take. Best bet is the Bomberos, that's where ours went after John.

Money- after H.John, International Community Foundation in San Diego set up a fund specifically for Mulege/Santa Rosalia. ICF needs a partner org to handle distribution, and one in Manhattan Beach (maybe its Rotary?) claims StaRosalia as sister city, so they were the conduit. That worked brilliantly. Keep checking their website: http://www.icfdn.org/; they are in San Diego and do a lot around TJ/Ensenada but help w/a variety of Baja, Mainland and other causes. They activated a stand-by fund and internet link on their website at my request after John, and I have contacted them to do the same again this time. ICF may need to think broader than Mulege, Constitucion and outlying poblados were also slammed hard.
Also after H.John, Mulege Student Scholarship Program, Inc, a California non-profit organized a fund for the high school library which was 80% ruined. We can do that again as the library had to have 10 feet of water and all books will be ruined. Wife Ann & I run that org, founded 1987 and we have 135 high school & 49 college graduates to the credit of our Program's sponsors who are all private donors like you and me. Jimena will probably be a different animal, probably more general relief will be needed; we will have to see how that shakes out. If you want to donate thru us, we will see that all proceeds are well spent. Paypal can come thru me: mike at fleming dot cc (not dot com), or you can send a check to MSSPI or spell it out, 1284 Vintage Way, Auburn, CA 95603. If you send by email, I will email back our latest annual report and your receipt; if by mail we will receipt by mail. My current thinking is monitor direct needs and stock up for that, and reserve some leftovers to help the school library (which never got back to pre-John book stacks I'm sorry to report), but I'll post our spending plan as it firms.

Legit, tried and true, professionally organized. :saint:
There ya go.
I'm not the guy.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:41 AM
report from BBP Jimena

Mid-Baja has suffered major damage. We are getting “real time” reports from different sources including people on the ground in the damage areas as well as the Mexican Red Cross. It is not good. The reports that we have indicate:

Matancitas (Lopez Mateos) Almost 90% of the structures are down or severely damaged. All water, power, telephone, etc. out
Ciudad Constitucion: Most roofs are gone; sever damage to 70% of the buildings. Power, water, telephones are out

Loreto: All power / telephone are down, lines are down, trees and buildings blocking the streets, airport is closed at this time.

Mulege: All power, telephone, water, etc. is out. The water crested three feet above the bridge. Water was two feet deep in the fire station which would mean that almost of the entire town was flooded. There has been reports of loss of life.

Punta Chivato: One person indicates that the wind was over 100 mph before the indicator broke. Damage to almost everything. We should hear about the condition of the strip sometime today

Santa Rosalia: Wall of water came down the canyon and through the town, washed cars, etc. into the ocean.
The Red Cross has been in contact with us today, they are still in the process of determining their needs however, they indicate that they will need our help.

We will be putting out another alert for donations as well as where they are needed. I have taken the position that we will not be bringing things down unless there is a structured means of distributing them.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
 Pages:  1  ..  40    42    44  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.