Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  40    42    44  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 06:16 PM

interested to see where it actually was. i can think of some out of the way places out there, but nothing that is too crazy that couldn't be dealt with unless injury prevented walking. i hope it isn't in the cono moon dust zone.

if he fell down they'll never find him!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 06:16 PM

could have been either side I suppose.....
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
interested to see where it actually was. i can think of some out of the way places out there, but nothing that is too crazy that couldn't be dealt with unless injury prevented walking. i hope it isn't in the cono moon dust zone.

If it was in Sep when he first went missing, it is very hot between Vizcaino and the coast.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:

If it was in Sep when he first went missing, it is very hot between Vizcaino and the coast.

if he was near the coast it doesn't get too hot. if he was near the hiway he pulled the short straw. if you are familiar with that area west of Catavina there isn't a whole lotta branch roads to get lost on....... i'm waiting for the whole story.....

SoCalPattonCrew
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 08:39 PM

As Gary' sister, I would like to extend to the Baja Nomad participants our appreciation to this amazing group of people who have volunteered to join in the search for Gary. We are overwhelmed by the generosity of people who have followed our journey for over 6 months and have shared our hopes and disappointments. Gary was our Brother, Dad, Uncle, Grandfather and friend to many. Thank you also to LL (lizard lips) for initiating the search and continuing to be a source of information and comfort for us.
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 08:52 PM

I just sent an email to CARDA (California Rescue Dog Association) to see if anyone is available to search with a trained dog.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by renebruz
Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Sorry bud, but the two roads that you "even" drove all alone are heavily traveled dirt freeways compared to remote two track. It has been SIX MONTHS. You don't think the family that is nursing him back to health out in the desert hasn't been to town to mention that they have a dying gringo at their house? Even his family isn't as optimistic as you. I judge that you are on the wrong track.

And welcome to the forum!

[Edited on 3-20-2014 by vgabndo]

haha funny guy, here is the pict, you show me the freeway along this stretch to Asuncion.. I was on it for 2.5hrs about 100km got into town at dark, saw not one car, and like I said there was no single road just tons of dbl tracks going all over the place, heck when I first drove north you only saw huge salt beds and had to guess where the heck to go. Mind you I was not in my huge 4x4 I'm rolling a tiny lil outback 1999 whopping 6" of clearance, at least awd ;) not saying this is what Gary was doing, but it was a nice desolate area that had my car broke down I would be spending the night out for sure and lucky next day to see anyone. fun none the less.

The fish camps get regular traffic from the highway... supplies, ice, whatever they need... and though they are tight-lipped, a bunch of surfers go in there on occasion. Not sure why you posted the larger-than Nomad map of an area hundreds of miles from the one we are talking about, but I think Perry meant by 'dirt freeway' is that there will be more than one car per week on it, it is graded, and 2WD is fine.

The road you took between Abreojos and Asuncion is a freeway, by Baja off road standards. You may not have seen another car for the couple hours you were on it, but if you broke down, you would have had help soon.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 10:56 PM

I was curious about the reason the vehicle was removed from the site of the 'breakdown' before the family was able to see it. The condition of the car at the site could have provided clues to his whereabouts. There could have been clues of what led him to leave his vehicle and what steps were taken prior to departure, which direction he must have gone. It may have made the upcoming search easier. Tracks in the desert can definitely remain for 6 months. Hopefully the police and rancher haven't trampled over the clues. If it's a really remote area then his prints are the only ones there. Perhaps it would be best to leave the experts do the search before clues are destroyed and organize search parties if and when they have failed.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 3-20-2014 at 11:32 PM

Woody, I'm with you. I hope we'll have more information so assistance can be rendered if requested.

Renebruz, I'm not going to get in a peeing match. Where I presently LIVE is in the picture you posted. I can't imagine anything intimidating about any part of the road from Abreojos to Asuncion. The Co-op grader makes very frequent trips across that road, (as far as La Bocana) and as I said by COMPARISON to a two track, that road is a freeway. People routinely drive that road in rental cars, or pulling vacation trailers.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 11:32 AM

is it possible he just didn't want to be found?
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 12:45 PM

Hoping for some type of resolution soon.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 01:08 PM

While perhaps unlikely, it is still possible he did not park the vehicle there....and that someone else did....and did not vandalize or otherwise do damage to the vehicle and contents.....

Time will hopefully resolve the mystery.....such a hardship for the family.

Don't believe everything you think....
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2014 at 11:32 AM

I just want you all to be kept up to date with what has transpired so far.

Garys brother and son have returned from San Quintin without the 4 Runner. The authorities have impounded the SUV because it is still part of the on-going investigation and this is not unusual and is protocol.

We still don't have a police report as yet and I'm assuming they are putting this together right now. Also we don't have the exact location of the where the vehicle was located. Apparently the scene and surrounding area was searched and nothing was found.

The family has told me that they really appreciate your concern and willingness to help with the search and your input on the Nomad board.

There are so many scenarios and assumptions of what could have happened and I'm glad your all posting these. The only idea I have is that Gary was attempting to seek help and depending on how far he was from Hwy. 1 either went towards the ocean or back to the Hwy. He also could have climbed to the highest point he saw and fell. We could go on and on with ideas but will never know until we search.

When we know more and have decided to set a date for a search we MUST contact both the Catavina Police and the Ministerio Publico in San Quintin and enlist their help and allow them to direct us. We don't want to over step their authority and knowledge with this process. They will be a huge asset in this regard. The Mexican Horsemen who found the vehicle must also be contacted for their help as well. There are so many others that have already u2u'ed me that expressed their desire to help and those of you that have posted and have said they will help as well, THANK YOU.

As soon as further information is learned it will be posted.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2014 at 11:49 AM

Thank you Dan!!!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2014 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips

When we know more and have decided to set a date for a search we MUST contact both the Catavina Police and the Ministerio Publico in San Quintin and enlist their help and allow them to direct us.

I'm surprised this hasn't been turned over to the state judicial police.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2014 at 01:06 PM

so where was the car found???!!!???

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2014 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
so where was the car found???!!!???

Hasn't been posted, but somewhere between Hwy. 1 and San José fish camp. Closer to the coast from what has been said.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-22-2014 at 02:04 PM

Is the family going to stay in Baja and join the search once scheduled?
Quote:
I just want you all to be kept up to date with what has transpired so far.

Garys brother and son have returned from San Quintin without the 4 Runner. The authorities have impounded the SUV because it is still part of the on-going investigation and this is not unusual and is protocol.

We still don't have a police report as yet and I'm assuming they are putting this together right now. Also we don't have the exact location of the where the vehicle was located. Apparently the scene and surrounding area was searched and nothing was found.

The family has told me that they really appreciate your concern and willingness to help with the search and your input on the Nomad board.

There are so many scenarios and assumptions of what could have happened and I'm glad your all posting these. The only idea I have is that Gary was attempting to seek help and depending on how far he was from Hwy. 1 either went towards the ocean or back to the Hwy. He also could have climbed to the highest point he saw and fell. We could go on and on with ideas but will never know until we search.

When we know more and have decided to set a date for a search we MUST contact both the Catavina Police and the Ministerio Publico in San Quintin and enlist their help and allow them to direct us. We don't want to over step their authority and knowledge with this process. They will be a huge asset in this regard. The Mexican Horsemen who found the vehicle must also be contacted for their help as well. There are so many others that have already u2u'ed me that expressed their desire to help and those of you that have posted and have said they will help as well, THANK YOU.

As soon as further information is learned it will be posted.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2014 at 02:17 PM

I'm sure that the family will do whatever is necessary to help and of course they will be there when the search is organized.

This past few months has been very hard on all of them. I can't imagine what they have been through and to provide closure is something that has to be done.

None of the family is in Baja right now. There is no need. Once we learn of the exact location and the vehicle is released we can organize the search and do this in such a way that it is completed in an organized manner and get it right the first time.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-22-2014 at 02:35 PM

My condolences to the family first of course. Are you saying then that the Mexican police will not reveal the exact location of where the car was found and have not started searching around the area for Gary?
Quote:
I'm sure that the family will do whatever is necessary to help and of course they will be there when the search is organized.

This past few months has been very hard on all of them. I can't imagine what they have been through and to provide closure is something that has to be done.

None of the family is in Baja right now. There is no need. Once we learn of the exact location and the vehicle is released we can organize the search and do this in such a way that it is completed in an organized manner and get it right the first time.
 Pages:  1  ..  40    42    44  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.