Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  41    43    45  ..  68
Author: Subject: Jimena
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:42 AM

Dennis: Concentrate on Mulege , Chivato, Sta Rosalilla.

Cuidad Constitution and that area are Highly Masonic and have several Masonic Lodges and the 32 Degree Scottish Rite out of La Paz which have done a great job in the Past in helping the People .

If Hospitals are needed, Constitution all though Hard Hit will have more Medical personnel and closer.

Good Bless all of you and keep you safe!

Skeet
jannyk

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:45 AM

Mike,

Is BBP accepting Paypal donations?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:49 AM

FINALLY back up after the last time but it wont last as we are inverting and need power for other things.

Radio reports indicate AT LEAST four boats aground inside Bahia San Carlos. One particularly desperate situation has a sailboat on rocks just below a 20 foot sea wall with the main mast banging against it. Bow pulpit gone. Owner, an elderly man with health problems is prostrate on the deck and cant move. Not sure how this is going to end as getting to him is difficult, to say the least.

Weather finally abating in the last half hour but since my last report at 2am, it was the worst of the storm so far and far worse than anything I have ever been in.

That is all. Laptop batts just about kaput. No decent dry place to run a genny right now.

But WE are alive................I am not hopeful for others in this area.

Caliman

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:52 AM

Has anyone heard how Punta Abreojos did through this storm?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:53 AM

they will engage in a fairly heavy relief effort as they did for H. John.

the main pages except forums is accessable for non members and they'll post relief status and plans. they have pilots all ready signed up - they need to get logistics done, and the red cross is in communication.
where to land? ground transport all the stuff to figure out.
Pale verde paved RW probably will be used until Loreto re opens and Serenidad is fixed. sounds like mulege and others got creamed. i'm trying to reach people too. pretty bad day.
we have....had?? a clinic building in Lopez next to the cannery.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:57 AM

So Mike.... when there is a BBP donation location, will you please post that info here? Many of us would like to help out in this way.

thanks
nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
jannyk

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
So Mike.... when there is a BBP donation location, will you please post that info here? Many of us would like to help out in this way.

thanks
nena

Ditto that!

Jan & Max
SF Bay Area
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 12:04 PM

If the maps are any indication, the storm made landfall quite a bit to the South and East of Abreojos. And I'm still trying to wrap my brain around a picture of the water running three feet OVER the bridge in Mulege.

It's really too bad that the mid-term elections took place a couple of months a go. Had this tragedy taken place before the elections, I would bet the politicians would have been stumbling over each other the work up relief and rebuilding activities.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 12:05 PM
Charise - i got emails from

Quote:
Originally posted by Charise
My parents are Marv & Cathy Perrigo....they live right on the river a few doors down from the Serinidad. We are very worried and have not heard from them since yesterday. If anyone has news about them, please let me know. We are worried sick about everyone down there.

charisesalivar@yahoo.com

Thank you!

Cathy day before yesterday before it hit and they were getting very prepared. they probably got some water in the house but with John by the time the water got to the outlet it spread so Marv's and Marlin's and the casa granada didn't get as much.

they'll be out of touch a few days but my guess Marv got them thru it.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 12:08 PM

you bet. and you can email them off their site too.

www.bajabushpilots.com

they'll be pretty busy for a while. may be give them a few days.

word will get out. lots of BBP members monitor here.

LB
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 12:08 PM

Being in the clothing business, we are in a position to donate new clothing
for children, men and women. Will provide a wholesale invoice for who
every can drive or fly it over the border. EngineerMike, can ship boxes
to you.

We did this for a hurricane that trashed the burrios in Cabo a few years
ago.

EngineerMike U2 me if this works for you.
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 12:18 PM
Loreto

Cell phone again, 12:15PM, 9/3.

No power, no water, cell service marginal, streets mostly open, lots of minor damage; roofs, trees, water intrusion.

Certainty is the child of ignorance, knowledge is the mother of doubt. Question everything!

http://bcsbirds.com
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 12:21 PM

I think people are starting to realize the problems with trying to mount your own relief effort for the victims of Jimena. It will be difficult to see that the donations get to those in need and it takes a lot of work and organization. There is a better -- and far more efficient way. You can donate money to the International Red Cross and they allow donors to "earmark" the money for specific disasters, like Hurricane Jimena. Those donations would be transferred to the Mexican Red Cross.

The Mexican Red Cross is far more efficient at seeing that aid gets to the right parties. They already have the people, systems and infrastructure for this. They also help Americans in Mexico. There will be a lot less "partners" in the aid, if you get the drift, if it goes through the Red Cross.

http://www.cruzrojaamericana.org/detalle_noticias.asp?SN=204...

I've been reading the Mexican papers this morning. The Mexican Civil Defense is mounting an aid effort in the worst hit areas. It is apparent from the news stories that the Mexican authorities themselves were unaware of the extent of the damage in Mulege until this morning. Also Hwy 1 is impassible in many areas from washouts and blown over trailers blocking the road.

No soy por ni contra apatía.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 12:25 PM

wonder how Ray Lima fared? he was in the valley west of town with his totally new group facility.
the water rises when it hits the channels moving east towards town.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 12:27 PM

The new bridge just south of Santa Rosalia is wiped out or at least non-passable. That is a major wash that goes by the Federal Police station which is probably not even in existence at this time. The road to Punta Chivato is washed out and not passable at this time. Heavy wind damage and most of the cell phone stations are out. I did talk with Los Frailes this afternoon and while there was a lot of damage in Ejido San Lucas, most buildings are ok, but there was a lot of wind and water in the area.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 12:32 PM

Arrowhead's post makes great sense.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 12:35 PM

LB:

If anyone is taking clothes across please get some older Suitcases , put the clothes there and you will have much better chance getting them thru!!

Cover the Suitcases with wahat looks like sleeping gear, make it look kinda like a bed.

I had to start doing this several years ago with "Warm Jackets for Cold Kids"". Just went thropugh 2 months ago at Tecate with no problem at all, all the way to Constitution where they were delivered.

Sacks of Potatoes, Floor, Beans are three very good things to take dow for food. Can usually get them from a Wholesale Grocer.

Folks it will be sometime before anyone can get all the way to Loreto, Mulege from either direction. and don't forget that you may be able to get to Sta Rosiallia on the ferry from Guaymus. Be sure to call and check first
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 12:43 PM

Thanks, Matthew, for starting this thread for Mulege.

I'm not in Mulege now, but speaking of the river's flood action from prior experiences in Mulege, I've seen the river rise and fall in 12 hours.

No guess when water and electrics will be restored.

Francisco of Los Equipales was excellent help last year with food and safe haven continuously post-TS Julio and stored perishable medicine for Lorraine's animal health clinic, and this year appears to be a key player in the aftermath also.

Thanks to all for your continued thoughts of goodwill and concern for everyone in Baja Sur touched by this. I know that everyone's awareness has grown over the last few years, and the communities as government bodies and individuals are far more prepared and cognizant of the inherent concerns.
captain4tuna
Nomad

sad.gif posted on 9-3-2009 at 12:49 PM
Mulege

Marie and I wish you all of you in Mulege well. We are so sad and concerned. We have the little 2 story palapa house near the water store on the river. It is probably gone. Does anyone have any photos?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by arrowhead
I think people are starting to realize the problems with trying to mount your own relief effort for the victims of Jimena. It will be difficult to see that the donations get to those in need and it takes a lot of work and organization. There is a better -- and far more efficient way. You can donate money to the International Red Cross and they allow donors to "earmark" the money for specific disasters, like Hurricane Jimena. Those donations would be transferred to the Mexican Red Cross.

The Mexican Red Cross is far more efficient at seeing that aid gets to the right parties. They already have the people, systems and infrastructure for this. They also help Americans in Mexico. There will be a lot less "partners" in the aid, if you get the drift, if it goes through the Red Cross.

http://www.cruzrojaamericana.org/detalle_noticias.asp?SN=204...

It sounds good Arrow but many folks simply do not believe that Cruz Rojo can be trusted to do the right thing with their donation. There is a lot of mistrust when it comes to the various agencies in any country..

I guess my question is; how would/could we be convinced they "are" doing the right thing?

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
 Pages:  1  ..  41    43    45  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.