Pages:  1  ..  42    44    46  ..  68
Author: Subject: Jimena
Johannes
Nomad

Mood: I love it in Loreto

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 12:53 PM

News from Loreto
Lynn Hamman reports on Loreto_Community@yahoogroups.com
We had a lot of wind and rain but we did have more rain from Hurricane Juan in 2006. Since it did makelandfall in San Carlos, the electricity is out and I'm told for 4-5 moredays. The water had been shut off prior to the hurricane's arrival forat least four days. People here in Loreto are doing good and reports of not much damage. The people who have generators can run essentialequipment. Some gas stations have generators to pump gas but the lines are long. There's talk about other tropical systems currently below Cabo heading for the Sea of Cortez but I haven't been able to verify that. Some roads are washed out north and south of Loreto but will probably be fixed quickly since it's our main highway. My husband Randy went to check on Puerto Escondido yesterday and there was a rock slide close to Juncalito. I'm sure that has been corrected also. I'm sending this message because Kent and Pam Williams were so gracious to let me use there computer (help of a generator). Hopefully, I'll have more information later.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 12:57 PM
Our greatest sympathy to Mulege

Dejavu? No, a recurring nightmare.

We are very saddened by this latest event and our hearts and prayers go out to all of Bajas' courageous people.

After the water recedes help will once again pour into Mulege. I'm afraid though that this time the task may be overwhelming to some of us.

It will be time again to roll up the sleeves and give in one form or another.

There needs to be a serious effort to get the right stuff to the right people. First and formost the town and it's people will need basic goods.

The list will be extensive and important. Simple necessities will be recieved by gracious folks.

Where to start.

Many of us were part of the last flood and relief effort. It was difficult to decide who, what and where the donations should go.

Who should decide whether toilet paper or pumps should be purchased and delivered.

That is why a concerted effort should be made to designate any monies.

Emergency supplies are obviously required and I suggest that in the immediate aftermath it will be next to impossible for us/you to get that stuff down there and to the proper entity.

Medical stuff, tarps, tents, rope, potable water. propane &stoves, canned food, clothing. The list is long but certain stuff will be required and needed asap.

Don't forget about the mosquitos which will follow by a week or so. Bring lots of DEET based repellant.

A list of important and necessary relief supplies should be drawn up. Hopefully the airsrip will be useable in a couple weeks but who knows.

A plan to gather up contributions and haul them down should be made. Many Nomads live in close proximity to the border. Perhaps a drop-site in San Diego could be established.

A consensus should be made as to the nature of disbursing funds.

A concerted effort should be made to pinpoint what is needed asap and what should follow.

I will do what I can short of making all those decisions. It's a helluva responsibility and expect major hurtles.

We need to have a Nomads representative on the ground in Mulege gathering real-time information and sharing it here.

Roger was up here and was due in for a visit but did not show. My feeling is he is headed down. Hopefully he will check in.

We need all the links and connections we can find because all the services being down will create major problems.

Again, may your days ahead bring solace and comfort to others in desparate need of help.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 01:06 PM

Our greatest sympathy to Mulege

Dejavu? No, a recurring nightmare.

We are very saddened by this latest event and our hearts and prayers go out to all of Bajas' courageous people.

After the water recedes help will once again pour into Mulege. I'm afraid though that this time the task may be overwhelming to some of us.

It will be time again to roll up the sleeves and give in one form or another.

There needs to be a serious effort to get the right stuff to the right people. First and formost the town and it's people will need basic goods.

The list will be extensive and important. Simple necessities will be recieved by gracious folks.

Where to start.

Many of us were part of the last flood and relief effort. It was difficult to decide who, what and where the donations should go.

Who should decide whether toilet paper or pumps should be purchased and delivered.

That is why a concerted effort should be made to designate any monies.

Emergency supplies are obviously required and I suggest that in the immediate aftermath it will be next to impossible for us/you to get that stuff down there and to the proper entity.

Medical stuff, tarps, tents, rope, potable water. propane &stoves, canned food, clothing. The list is long but certain stuff will be required and needed asap.

Don't forget about the mosquitos which will follow by a week or so. Bring lots of DEET based repellant.

A list of important and necessary relief supplies should be drawn up. Hopefully the airsrip will be useable in a couple weeks but who knows.

A plan to gather up contributions and haul them down should be made. Many Nomads live in close proximity to the border. Perhaps a drop-site in San Diego could be established.

A consensus should be made as to the nature of disbursing funds.

A concerted effort should be made to pinpoint what is needed asap and what should follow.

I will do what I can short of making all those decisions. It's a helluva responsibility and expect major hurtles.

We need to have a Nomads representative on the ground in Mulege gathering real-time information and sharing it here.

Roger was up here and was due in for a visit but did not show. My feeling is he is headed down. Hopefully he will check in.

We need all the links and connections we can find because all the services being down will create major problems.

Again, may your days ahead bring solace and comfort to others in desparate need of help.

oh, and thanks in advance to all the generous and caring Nomads

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Quote:
Originally posted by arrowhead
I think people are starting to realize the problems with trying to mount your own relief effort for the victims of Jimena. It will be difficult to see that the donations get to those in need and it takes a lot of work and organization. There is a better -- and far more efficient way. You can donate money to the International Red Cross and they allow donors to "earmark" the money for specific disasters, like Hurricane Jimena. Those donations would be transferred to the Mexican Red Cross.

The Mexican Red Cross is far more efficient at seeing that aid gets to the right parties. They already have the people, systems and infrastructure for this. They also help Americans in Mexico. There will be a lot less "partners" in the aid, if you get the drift, if it goes through the Red Cross.

http://www.cruzrojaamericana.org/detalle_noticias.asp?SN=204...

It sounds good Arrow but many folks simply do not believe that Cruz Rojo can be trusted to do the right thing with their donation. There is a lot of mistrust when it comes to the various agencies in any country..

I guess my question is; how would/could we be convinced they "are" doing the right thing?

Unfortunately I would agree that few if anyone would trust the cruz roja. Leave it at that. On the other hand I believe individual direct efforts are extremely successful, direct efforts increase the chance for selecting those most in need and the opportunity to be involved has the most benefit for donor and receiver.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 01:26 PM

re: Road & Electricity

per Bill Havig 2 days ago on his way to Mulege- CFE was everywhere w/their trucks, so the power co. was well mobilized to get repairs kicked into high gear. Their stuff & their guys are pretty mobile so I expect a crazy amount of overtime burnt there. Still likely to take several days to get basic power service back on.

Several reports of bridge south of Sta.Rosalia washed out. I originally guessed that was one of the lower wash bridges constructed after John, but another post says its the big bridge just south of town. These will all get quickie detour crossings bladed in (i.e. we'll be traveling over rocks & gravel). I expect that within 3 or 4 days based on other recent responses by govt. 20 years ago this woulda taken weeks just to get transportation reestablished.

As to individual electric service, if yours flooded- the meter won't work to record usage, but will work to pass electricity. First it needs to be cleaned in the jaws behind the meter to remove gross shorts caused by mud. Pull the meter face (may have to cut the wire clip), hose out meter socket till no more mud runs, then put the meter back in. Power co will come around in a few weeks or months and put a new meter in place. But before turning power on, photo the breaker box so you know what goes back where, pull out all breakers, soak them in clean water & shake out the mud, blow out w/compressor if you can & let dry fully; wire brush the contacts in the panel to remove mud & corrosion which will cause high resistance. Reassemble panel & if you were meticulous you should be good to electrify the service. If you don't understand this, get competent help to follow these instructions. Another tactic- replace all the breakers (these are cheap @ home stores, ~$4 ea.), but you have to scrub all spade contacts as described above or you will have blinky lights and heat generated in the panel that could lead to a fire.
All this presupposes water in reasonable quantities to do the cleaning.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 01:34 PM
Biblical??

:wow:

One for the *#!$#! books.

[Edited on 9-3-2009 by Sharksbaja]

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
:wow:

One for the *#!$#! books.

Yeah....One for the "Don't think it can't happen here" book. Real Estate offices probably wont be hanging that one on their wall.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 01:44 PM

I still can't help but think that despite the awful damage that occurred, and is occurring, it could have been so much worse. Keep in mind that this storm once packed sustained winds of 155mph. Had it, for instance, stayed further to the East and went up the Sea of Cortez, where the water temp was much warmer, it would have maintained cat 3 or 4 strength longer. Had it made landfall in a densely populated area, as a 3 or 4......., well you see what I mean. My heart goes out to all affected.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 01:54 PM

Worse than John. How much worse can it get? Our prayers are with the good people of Mulege. They need 'em.
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
It sounds good Arrow but many folks simply do not believe that Cruz Rojo can be trusted to do the right thing with their donation. There is a lot of mistrust when it comes to the various agencies in any country..

I guess my question is; how would/could we be convinced they "are" doing the right thing?

Well, they've done the "right thing" before.

http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.1a019a978f42...

http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.1a019a978f42...

No soy por ni contra apatía.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 01:58 PM

According to a report from a friend in the goverment, San Carlos, Constitucion, Insurgentes, Loreto, Mulege, and Santa Rosalia report mayor damage. In San Carlos several fishermen homes near the sea have "dissapeared". Airplanes lay upside down in the Constitucion airport. The Insurgentes electric sub estacion has been totally destroyed. Cel phone antenas, electricity poles, down by the hundreds. Mulege reports possible several deaths, specially in the rancherias. And Santa Rosalia reports also mayor damage to roofs. It is unknown the fate of hundreds of small ranches, farms, and homes near arroyos all over the area.

:no:

captain4tuna
Nomad

sad.gif posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:00 PM
Mulege

This is horror. I can't beleive this has happened again.
Any news about Jorge Yee's Park? Is he and family allright?
We thank you all for your posts. We'll come down as soon roads allow and help. Our place and alls.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
According to a report from a friend in the goverment, San Carlos, Constitucion, Insurgentes, Loreto, Mulege, and Santa Rosalia report mayor damage. In San Carlos several fishermen homes near the sea have "dissapeared". Airplanes lay upside down in the Constitucion airport. The Insurgentes electric sub estacion has been totally destroyed. Cel phone antenas, electricity poles, down by the hundreds. Mulege reports possible several deaths, specially in the rancherias. And Santa Rosalia reports also mayor damage to roofs. It is unknown the fate of hundreds of small ranches, farms, and homes near arroyos all over the area.

:no:

Really awful. :no::no:

The tracking and computer models still show Jimena as declining to a tropical depression, but coming back west over Baja and dropping a lot more rain?

I really thought that once it hit the Sea of Cortez it would not turn back west as in the past. Maybe someone with some one can explain it?

More rain is not needed.

lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:02 PM

Thanks everyone for all the updates...I spoke with Sandra Dibble from the SD Union and urged her to update the info on the devastation in Mulege, St. Rosalia and other areas. She said that she would update her editors on the situation and I also posted a comment at the end of the UT's current story about Jimena for SD readers to check this website for info on relief efforts once they get organized so as mentioned by others, I know that we will all help out and keep our friends in Baja Sur in our thoughts & prayers
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:03 PM

I just looked at the current visible satellite loop and -- believe it or not -- the center of Jimena is still spinning away only about 50 miles northeast of Santa Rosalia over the Sea of Cortez. That large white cloud mass over Sonora is the upper part of Jimena that sheared off and took off to the east. You have to look at the visible satellite image. The IR image does not show the eye of Jimena.

I wonder if it will build strength over the water. The sea surface temperatures are very warm.

No soy por ni contra apatía.
HaciendaCerritos
Junior Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:06 PM

Maybe I'm off base - but being a former boat owner, I can't help but feel that bringing stuff in by boat may be an option. Is it possible/reality to attempt to get stuff to San Carlos on the mainland or even Guyamus and then a 2 day trip across the SOC to Mulege? As it seems nobody can go from south to North or north to south by road and airstrips are questionable. Is there anyone on the mainland that has a boat that can ferry supplies that perhaps could be flown in to their position?

Is this reasonable?

[Edited on 9-3-2009 by HaciendaCerritos]
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:07 PM

Upper atmospheric winds are in control now. It is interesting that a few days ago, a popular model was to have the storm end up in the Sonora area. Another model had it veering West back to the Pacific. Looks like the baby got split in half.
jannyk

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:14 PM

The latest 'Advisory' (2pm) states the following:

.."...JIMENA STILL A TROPICAL STORM...

AT 2 PM PDT...2100 UTC...ALL TROPICAL STORM WARNINGS ON THE BAJA
CALIFORNIA PENINSULA HAVE BEEN DISCONTINUED.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM HUATABAMPITO TO
BAHIA KINO. THE TROPICAL WARNING NORTH OF BAHIA KINO HAS BEEN
DISCONTINUED...."

But looking at the satellite pics and the 'cone' graphic, I'd say there's still plenty of moisture to worry about.

:(
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:23 PM

There is Ferry service from Guaymus to Sta Rosllia but it will depend on the Weather on its sailing as well as whether or not there is damage to jhe Slip in Sta Roasilla. I saw one report that cars were floated down the main street and into the water.

I would think that some boats could come up from La Paz as well.

I know that in the past Seawatch has a large boat in La Paz.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:28 PM

No boats (other than military) will be allowed in the waters for at least 48hrs after the storm. Too much debris floating around.

Pages:  1  ..  42    44    46  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.