Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  42    44    46  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2014 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

Amen --- until help is requested, all the speculation, criticism, advice, etc. is not helpful.

Total nonsense. This board is designed for discussion and nothing that is allowed through the gates is sacrosanct or immune from speculation and comparison.
If low key is what people want,...perhaps there shouldn't be so many objections to others' ideas.
And....if secrecy is the goal....don't bring the issue here to begin with.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2014 at 10:05 AM

Dennis- I don't know about the gas and lunch- I only have very limited data but in the mid 90's when we lived in Punta Banda a neighbor had a compressor and some tools stolen from his garage- the police came out, took a report and within 2 days his items were returned. A local teenager had stolen them and it seems to me like the police let his grandma handle the punishment. As I recall the teenager would have sooner dealt with the police. My only other data is about 2 years ago an ATV was stolen in the middle of the night from an American who lived near the lighthouse in Mulege. That ATV was recovered about a week later. We left the area shortly thereafter and never heard if the thief was caught but I do know that the police talked to everyone in the immediate area looking for clues. My only other thought is the Patton's Congressman apparently did something. It seems that an inquiry from a Congressman will generate a greater sense of urgency- tal vez si y tal vez no.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2014 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
My only other thought is the Patton's Congressman apparently did something.

I quietly questioned his involvement from the beginning. It's doubtful he went to SQ in an official capacity. It just wouldn't happen without embassies being involved. More likely he went to fish. That also may explain the four month delay with his reply.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-23-2014 at 12:13 PM
Forensics take time

My sympathies and prayers to the Patton family as they wait for more information. I hope their patience results in more answers being made available to them, whatever the final outcome.

I can understand the need for local LEOs to to take enough time to do their work before returning the car and its contents to the family. It needs to receive a thorough inspection.

There are many things for the investigators to consider as they inspect the car including mileage on recovered vehicle, how much gas in tank, receipts from stores, Pemex etc. All of these need to be looked over for additional clues about Gary's possible whereabouts and activities, and also to identify or rule out other people who may have been traveling with him.

I believe Gary was reported last seen at Jardines hotel, so the mileage on his car would indicate if he went straight to this location or if the car was driven elsewhere before arriving where it was found.

When I was at Jardines last month they had excellent security cameras and nighttime guards walking the grounds. Perhaps they can review the records for additional Information?

As for a US Rep. being involved: it was local horsemen who came across the vehicle. I've seen no mention of this being part of an organized search- it was just a fortunate route that took the riders close to the car.

[Edited on 3-23-2014 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2014 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
I believe Gary was reported last seen at Jardines hotel, so the mileage on his car would indicate if he went straight to this location or if the car was driven elsewhere before arriving where it was found.

Wouldn't they have to have beginning mileage to determine something? It's probable they don't.
Something else.........Mexico is a few clicks behind US style CSI and most likely won't have all of today's methods of investigation at their disposal. Short of evidence of foul play, their investigation will be cursory at best.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2014 at 01:50 PM

good point re:mileage.

gas/food receipts could still be helpful for establishing timelines.

Do any of the newer Pemex stations have security cameras? How about the Oxxos?

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2014 at 01:55 PM

Quote:

Do any of the newer Pemex stations have security cameras? How about the Oxxos?

Good question. Some OXXOs have an ATM so perhaps yes.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2014 at 02:14 PM

I hope the family and investigators gets some solid Information now that the car has been located.

This has been such a mystery for so long, and has captured my attention. Maybe also because I often travel solo in Baja, and don't want to put my friends/family thru a similar mystery if anything were to happen to me along the way.

So I'm thinking: how could someone leave "breadcrumbs" besides the "usual" way of checking in each day via text, phone etc.?

Nomads often discuss the need to keep the gas tank full, esp between El Rosario and points south, near where Gary's car was located.

So potentially one way of solving some of this puzzle: If his car had X amount of gas, and was Y number of miles from the last place someone could have purchased gas, perhaps someone could estimate mileage and get (approx) # of miles from last place gas was purchased, then talk to the roadside vendors in Catavina, fishermen, Pemex nearest that area.

A cautionary tale, for sure...

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2014 at 02:16 PM

The only reason I mentioned the Congressman is that an inquiry from him might require a response and possibly a more serious investigation. I don't know if it makes a difference. What I do know is the when I lived in Punta Banda in the early 90's I received a refund check from the IRS that was forwarded from my last US address. (Don't ask me how that happened since it had been years before and never since that I received a refund vs always owing additional.) The check was just forwarded as normal email (ie not registered) but it was obvious that it contained a check. When the envelope arrived the Mexican post office required that I sign for it and there were at least 6 other signatures from various locations that the envelope had traveled to in Mexico. Again that envelope was sent by regular mail but it was obvious that Mexico put some special emphasis on the fact that it was coming from our Government. Maybe things have changed??
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2014 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
.... Maybe also because I often travel solo in Baja, and don't want to put my friends/family thru a similar mystery if anything were to happen to me along the way.

So I'm thinking: how could someone leave "breadcrumbs" besides the "usual" way of checking in each day via text, phone etc.?

A quick answer to your question, I keep a journal when we travel, in case of emergency/accident. For example, when I leave our place in Punta Banda I write down the date, time. I note every fuel stop, location, odometer reading. Potty stop, location and time, meal stops, etc. all the way to our final destination. Should something happen to us, our journal will tell our story.

Wishing the Patton family a sense of peace. I have a lot more to add, but holding my tongue (fingers).

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2014 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Quote:
.... Maybe also because I often travel solo in Baja, and don't want to put my friends/family thru a similar mystery if anything were to happen to me along the way.

A quick answer to your question, I keep a journal when we travel, in case of emergency/accident. For example, when I leave our place in Punta Banda I write down the date, time. I note every fuel stop, location, odometer reading. Potty stop, location and time, meal stops, etc. all the way to our final destination. Should something happen to us, our journal will tell our story.

Wishing the Patton family a sense of peace. I have a lot more to add, but holding my tongue (fingers).

P>*)))>{

Thanks Paulina- good advice, and a reminder that I need to add "Emergency contacts" to my written log as well.

I currently keep a travel log (gas & meal stops, repairs etc), and could add details that might be useful if a similar situation happened.

One other thing that's good to put in your cellphone is an entry for ICE (In Case of Emergency) number that medical/emergency responders could quickly access. Obviously, make it for someone you are not traveling with.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2014 at 05:33 PM

Get a Spot and send a signal at regular times. At least they could go from your last signal. And if an emergency you can send a need help or an SOS signal.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 3-23-2014 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Get a Spot and send a signal at regular times. At least they could go from your last signal. And if an emergency you can send a need help or an SOS signal.

SPOT is a satellite tracker that sends out location data and can send out other signals as well. There are now several generations of them available and most of the offroad community is aware of their capabilities and use them. In my dualsport travels, I've started carrying my own although I used to rely on another in the group for their shared site. After a few episodes of being separated, I realized I needed my own. I'd encourage anyone who explores the back country of anywhere to get one and use it. It's kind of cool to watch your friends find new places and have the opportunity to plan trips to those same areas.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Larana

[*] posted on 3-23-2014 at 08:20 PM

I certainly agree with the use of Spot. Have been using it for a few years now, for offroad exploring and also travels in our RV. I hit the Spot every night when we are RV ing and keep my family and friends aware of our location. A reasonable price for a lot of peace of mind.
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 07:37 AM

The Spot does seem like a good hedge against going missing and nobody being able to locate you. I'll bet there are a few people thinking the missing Malaysian airliner should have had one!!

The Malaysian government hasn't given any indication that they could find their "burro" with both hands!!:P

[Edited on 3-24-2014 by Floatflyer]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Floatflyer
The Spot does seem like a good hedge against going missing and nobody being able to locate you. I'll bet there are a few people thinking the missing Malaysian airliner should have had one!!

They may have found what's left of it in the Indian Ocean....sez Malaysian PM.

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Floatflyer

Exactly what I have been thinking from the start. Millions of dollars expended searching for want of a few hundred bucks for a Spot tracker that would trump the millions of dollars in avionics on board the 777. Spot or equivalent should be mandatory equipment for the hikers and mountain climbers requiring risky and expensive search and rescues on a regular basis. Spot has been particularly useful in tracking the position of various Nomad adventures as we have seen.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 08:40 AM

There were trackers on board. Much more sophisticated than spot. All off for whatever reason. Has there been problems with Spot before? Just follow the Baja 1000 or day to day tracking of one of our travelers. While helpful, Spot is not the answer to everything.

Hope we get news soon from the family or Lizard Lips.
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 09:11 AM

Continuing to offer our support.. and echoing the sentiments expressed by many.
Disappearing loved ones is a complicated issue to deal with on many levels.

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
There were trackers on board. Much more sophisticated than spot. All off for whatever reason. Has there been problems with Spot before? Just follow the Baja 1000 or day to day tracking of one of our travelers. While helpful, Spot is not the answer to everything.

Hope we get news soon from the family or Lizard Lips.

Much more sophisticated than Spot, but obviously didn't work, due probably to a common power source, either able to be manually turned off or put offline by a central power failure. My Spot Tracker has operated flawlessly in my aircraft and RV for over a year on two lithium AA batteries. A Spot in a passengers purse or better yet imbedded in an inaccessible part of the aircraft would have prevented the entire confusion and wasted search efforts as well as family members stress.
The search area certainly would have been narrowed considerably by a Spot Tracker.
 Pages:  1  ..  42    44    46  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.