Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  43    45    47  ..  68
Author: Subject: Jimena
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:30 PM
Again, let me be clear:

Mulege is my community and they were hit hard. To what extent we still don't have many details. Being that Mulege is my concentration, that is where I am concentrating my efforts to get a fund or some funds going, to hold until the best solution for distribution can emerge.

That is not to say that other individuals have their own communities which need help. You people concentrate on those. Also, there may be general funds to be distributed to several different communities.

I am suggesting that any funds earmarked for Mulege should eventually be given to the Mulege Rotarians. Let them decide the best way to distribute. The Rotarians in Mulege are comprised of both North Americans and local Mexican residents. They have a world wide network of fellow chapters. They are absolutely trustworthy! Jim Christopher cannot communicate now, but I am sure that when he can, he will be able to advise the fund collectors how to proceed.

I saw a post by Skipjack Joe that mentioned that no funds should go to real estate that is vulnerable. (I am paraphrasing). To me this sounds like an inference suggesting that we would be soliciting funds for we river dwellers. I guess he felt he had to say that, but I really don't know anybody who would entertain such an idea. Should there be any doubt, bite your tongue!

Our rush to set up funding is completely altruistic!!! Such funds are to benefit the local townspeople. We have done this before and we have the history, documentation and credibility to see it through.

Stay focused people! When the waters recede the picture will become clearer. This is not a contest. Those who want to help are indeed good people. In spite of differences in philosophy or politics, we North Americans are known for our generosity when it comes to disaster relief. We are just doing what we do. :yes:

HaciendaCerritos
Junior Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:31 PM

Hey LaPaz Nomads - anyone have contacts with boat/ship owners who may be willing to get stuff up to Mulege? Shoot, if we can find someone, I'll personally go buy supplies and put it on the boat/ship. We gotta get help up there NOW. This could have been us we're all talking about here, or any one of you for that matter. Let's put our resources together and get something moving. Rapido!!

I'm fairly sure that if a boat/ship were to pull up with supplies, there are many people there who can help with off loading to a padre, red cross, police (oh forget that one)... but you know what I mean?
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:33 PM

Discussion w/folks in town before it hit leads me to think overall there was more preparation for this than for past storms, by a good margin. Preps started early and a lot of work went into it. Muleginos are getting pretty gun shy about cloud cover.

I expect loss of life, at least in town to be limited. Ranchos maybe different as infrastructure is not as good and if anybody ventured out to save "stuff" they put themselves in jeopardy.

Yee's park had to be under water. Footage from John showed rooftops awash; this time I'm guessing they were not visible. But if anybody was in the floodplain it was not because they had no warning.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:43 PM

I'll repeat this post from the Jimena thread. I haven't heard back from ICF as of this posting; I know they have several irons in the fire:

I'm starting to recover from my early a.m. shock.

The mud is till settling. I concur that travel plans need to be fluid, and don't go till at least gas on the hwy is assured and roads are open. Don't go without being self-sufficient for all needs.

Disaster relief for Mulege:

In-kind donations- can be distributed by the Bomberos or by the Padre at the Mission. Some individuals may also distribute on a case by case basis. Bomberos are organized. Love the Padre but the Church is not set up as an outreach affair, so they set up tables or piles at the Mission and people (any people) come and take. Best bet is the Bomberos, that's where ours went after John.

Money- after H.John, International Community Foundation in San Diego set up a fund specifically for Mulege/Santa Rosalia. ICF needs a partner org to handle distribution, and one in Manhattan Beach (maybe its Rotary?) claims StaRosalia as sister city, so they were the conduit. That worked brilliantly. Keep checking their website: http://www.icfdn.org/; they are in San Diego and do a lot around TJ/Ensenada but help w/a variety of Baja, Mainland and other causes. They activated a stand-by fund and internet link on their website at my request after John, and I have contacted them to do the same again this time. ICF may need to think broader than Mulege, Constitucion and outlying poblados were also slammed hard.
Also after H.John, Mulege Student Scholarship Program, Inc, a California non-profit organized a fund for the high school library which was 80% ruined. We can do that again as the library had to have 10 feet of water and all books will be ruined. Wife Ann & I run that org, founded 1987 and we have 135 high school & 49 college graduates to the credit of our Program's sponsors who are all private donors like you and me. Jimena will probably be a different animal, probably more general relief will be needed; we will have to see how that shakes out. If you want to donate thru us, we will see that all proceeds are well spent. Paypal can come thru me: mike at fleming dot cc (not dot com), or you can send a check to MSSPI or spell it out, 1284 Vintage Way, Auburn, CA 95603. If you send by email, I will email back our latest annual report and your receipt; if by mail we will receipt by mail. My current thinking is monitor direct needs and stock up for that, and reserve some leftovers to help the school library (which never got back to pre-John book stacks I'm sorry to report), but I'll post our spending plan as it firms.

toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HaciendaCerritos
Hey LaPaz Nomads - anyone have contacts with boat/ship owners who may be willing to get stuff up to Mulege? Shoot, if we can find someone, I'll personally go buy supplies and put it on the boat/ship. We gotta get help up there NOW. This could have been us we're all talking about here, or any one of you for that matter. Let's put our resources together and get something moving. Rapido!!

I'm fairly sure that if a boat/ship were to pull up with supplies, there are many people there who can help with off loading to a padre, red cross, police (oh forget that one)... but you know what I mean?

Good idea, Hacienda...
A ship would have to anchor out and supplies could be brought in by smaller craft to the Lighthouse area. I am not even sure about the condition of the boat ramp or the docking wall there, or the depth.

The Mexican Navy would probably be the ones to coordinate with.

toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:47 PM

Mike,

As I understand, the Bomberos physical facility was badly damaged; flooded and roof blown off.

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:49 PM

First am happy to know Bob & Susan are ok .. agree its good to hear so.

In reading as much of the ongoing Jimena thread as I could, it seems there will be a much more complicated series of issues to be addressed.

During HJohn we did exactly as we said - and when it became clear that the govt was getting involved we diverted funds to purchase water and supplies and Tommy used his connex to get govt trucks to deliver .. photos taken and posted to provide veracity and visuals which were both hearwarming and inspirational.

This natural disaster has caused a widespread area of tragedy .. We will provide services as described if asked - We can be a receiving and sending unit - provided there are those on receiving end who will ensure funds are disbursed to donators satisfaction .. Toneart I think your rotary connex are great - ask them if they are set up for recieving wires if they want us to be the receiving stateside .. Logisitcally we could work out details since clearly it will be a short bit of time before supplies would even be available for purchase ...

I do like Haciendcerritos' idea of sending boats up SOC from LaPaz .. we have family there and can assist in coordination if asked ..

Deep breaths ...

Sharksbaja our thoughts to you ~ we recall the enormous yomans effort you undertook ..

I dont recall who wrote that material possessions can be replaced .. people tho cannot .. we are sad to learn of anyones loss ..

I will copy & paste post this into the Jimena thread as it gets so much looking at ..

Also we posted on our website about this thread to bring more attention too.

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:51 PM

First am happy to know Bob & Susan are ok .. agree its good to hear so.

In reading as much of the ongoing Jimena thread as I could, it seems there will be a much more complicated series of issues to be addressed.

During HJohn we did exactly as we said - and when it became clear that the govt was getting involved we diverted funds to purchase water and supplies and Tommy used his connex to get govt trucks to deliver .. photos taken and posted to provide veracity and visuals which were both hearwarming and inspirational.

This natural disaster has caused a widespread area of tragedy .. We will provide services as described if asked - We can be a receiving and sending unit - provided there are those on receiving end who will ensure funds are disbursed to donators satisfaction .. Toneart I think your rotary connex are great - ask them if they are set up for recieving wires if they want us to be the receiving stateside .. Logisitcally we could work out details since clearly it will be a short bit of time before supplies would even be available for purchase ...

I do like Haciendcerritos' idea of sending boats up SOC from LaPaz .. we have family there and can assist in coordination if asked ..

Deep breaths ...

Sharksbaja our thoughts to you ~ we recall the enormous yomans effort you undertook ..

I dont recall who wrote that material possessions can be replaced .. people tho cannot .. we are sad to learn of anyones loss ..

I will copy & paste post this into the Jimena thread as it gets so much looking at ..

Also we posted on our website about this thread to bring more attention too.

ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:58 PM
What About Air Drops of Supplies ?

Since we are on to exploring ideas for helping...How about an armada of private planes making air drops of supplies?
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 03:16 PM

A friend just emailed this to me. I am passing it along as information:

There is a nationwide social services agency called DIF.
Here is a link to their web site:
http://www.dif.sip.gob.mx/en/

It follows the structure of the government. That is, the national leader is the president's wife, the state leader is the governor's wife. The Mulege group is made up of three people, the wife of the delegado, Yvonne Porras (wife of Javier the plumber), and another lady whose name escapes me.

I have worked with them many times on distribution of emergency foodstuffs, clothing, and medical supplies. Jim Christopher also is aware of them. They probably will have a good handle on who needs what. The are active in the ranchos and remote areas also.

Their Mulege office is in the delegacion right next to the police. They might be a good resource for advice or help with distribution of supplies (not cash).

Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 03:17 PM

Rather than an airdrop, it would be better to land at Palo Verde airstrip north of town. Only military can do the airdrops with safety. Serenedad will be too muddy for awhile.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 03:19 PM

A friend just emailed this information to me:

There is a nationwide social services agency called DIF.
Here is a link to their web site:
http://www.dif.sip.gob.mx/en/

It follows the structure of the government. That is, the national leader is the president's wife, the state leader is the governor's wife. The Mulege group is made up of three people, the wife of the delegado, Yvonne Porras (wife of Javier the plumber), and another lady whose name escapes me.

I have worked with them many times on distribution of emergency foodstuffs, clothing, and medical supplies. Jim Christopher also is aware of them. They probably will have a good handle on who needs what. The are active in the ranchos and remote areas also.

Their Mulege office is in the delegacion right next to the police. They might be a good resource for advice or help with distribution of supplies (not cash).

EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 03:21 PM

Baja Bush Pilots out of Chandler, AZ will organize air support. They have done it before with great success. They have a Jimena update on their home page: http://www.bajabushpilots.com/ and may take new volunteers "under their wing" so to speak for the aerial armada.

After H.John they had various fixed & rotary wing craft making runs up & down the Sea of Cortez coast dropping supplies, picking up news, getting govt officials in/out of isolated places. If you have an aircraft & want to volunteer, that is the place to call. Their home base will assist in making flight plan filing, etc. as will be needed to enter Mexico. Nobody is more welcome in Baja than the Bush Pilots.

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 03:27 PM

Hey Sharks...Brother I am SOOOO sorry. You must be beside yourself. I'm am sitting here remembering my grief at loosing our place, but this is tempered by a smug satisfaction that we did not throw good money after bad. It was REALLY hard to walk away from that village, but it was the only thing that made sense for us. If this storm effected San Nicolas' the same way John and Julio did, even the wreckage of our old place will probably be gone. It turned concrete slabs upsidedown LAST time. I can't stop worrying about my friends there.
Peace and blessings man. All I can do is let you know that you and your beautiful spot are in my thoughts.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 03:29 PM

Like Tony said, altruistic. Thanks CaboMagic, hopefully the equipment the Nomads purchased just for this type event were moved to higher ground?

This forum is chockfull of giving caring people eager to help. That needs addressing. The sooner we can get someone on the ground in Mulege to expidite the incoming money and supplies the better.

People will forget fast so now is the time to get this up and running. Money can be tranferred to either Mulege or Sta. Rosalia via BOA or via Western Union , which ever works. You need THAT PERSON IN MULEGE to become the recipient who can get the cash and get it to where it's needed asap.

Unfortunately our Nomad on the ground who helped us out is no longer there.

Aside from that, I think basic shelter and cooking stuff should be addressed formost.

Tents, tarps, rope, stakes Pots, pans, water, food, clothes, TP.
Can somone get a manufacturer or Corp chain.

The military was awesome after John. Let us hope they can do it again.

I gotta go to work.....more thoughts later..... bless all you who care.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HaciendaCerritos

The roads are open to passenger vehicles who can arrive to locations in need in less time in the coming days and weeks, boats are far less efficient, yachts are not an effective plan of action.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 03:49 PM

Can some of you offer some estimate of the population who may have lost housing/shelter? Either based on evidence or anecdotal, it seems this might help overall to understand the impact and encourage appropriate assistance.

For example in the region most affected from San Carlos/Lopez Mateos to Guerrero Negro what is the total population by your educated estimate? And how many are estimated to have lost shelter or suffered serious damage?

I am estimating and looking for anecdotal sources of current information about total pop. and est. number of affected pop.

The actual pop. of La Paz and its surrounding metropolis is estimated to be about 300,000 in 2005 though it may be more likely 350,000-400,000 by my estimate today. The border cities are Comitan, el Centenario, el Zacatal and San Pedro. La Paz is now reported to be the third largest metropolis in Mexico.

To the North is Lopez Mateos/San Carlos, Ciudad de Constituccion which has more than 50,000, Loreto, previously the capital, has 10,000-15,000 (5,000 homes have been built in the last two years). Ciudad Insurgentes is next, a huge city with 10,000 to 20,000, Mulege has 5,000-7,000 many of whom are devastated.
LB
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 04:00 PM

EngineerMike expected 50 to 60 Mexicano familes washed out of homes or lost homes. I am sending him enough new clothing to cloth these familes
if not more (adult men and women, children, teens). That does not included underwear, shoes, and not alot of pants. He will be delivering them to the fire station. This information is so those of you donating goods will know
what will be inroute.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 04:06 PM

I am guessing that loss of shelter is in the area of 5k-20k people but looking for any data points to support this from North of LP to GN?
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 04:07 PM

gnukid- I think you mean that La Paz is the third largest metropolis in Baja.

One of the greatest challenges for Mulege is that what makes it special also makes it problematic. Lack of infrastructure, distance to larger towns, including the port of Santa Rosalia and the airport at Loreto. There's no backup available nearby.
 Pages:  1  ..  43    45    47  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.