Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  43    45    47  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 10:37 AM

Love my Spot even though I haven't used it recently.

I had work in Jordan and had it on when I traveled from Amman up to the Syrian border. It worked great in Haiti, Kyrgyzstan, and all over India and Sri Lanka.

I have a trip planned next month to Bulgaria and plan to reinstate my use.

This is a necessity when traveling in fact I'm tracking a friend right now with his family south to GN.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 11:05 AM

20/20 hindsight is always great, but I wish Gary Patton would have had a Spot tracker. The outcome could have been considerably different. Hopefully incidents like this, as well as with the Italian biker who went missing near Catavina, will bring more attention to the importance of this very affordable technology. On my last trip, my designated spot followers commented on what a nice camping spot I had on the beach on conception bay after looking at my location on google earth.
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 03:26 PM

Hijack of thread? Come on people! Shoulda woulda coulda. Think of the family.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 24baja
Hijack of thread? Come on people! Shoulda woulda coulda. Think of the family.

Thank you, 24baja....:saint: The ideas floating around are of little value to the family....and have been covered ad nauseum on other posts for traveller info.

Folks, respect this family's wishes as stated....they will ask for help when they are ready to use it.

Just because this is supposed to be a discussion forum doesn't really justify insensitive or off-topic discussion....in my opinion.

Don't believe everything you think....
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged

Just because this is supposed to be a discussion forum doesn't really justify insensitive or off-topic discussion....in my opinion.

Just consider it chatting during intermission. :biggrin:

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2014 at 06:32 AM

Gary's car was found 3/20/2014. Family members have come and gone to Catavina. So what now?

Is there an "investigation" taking place?
Is anyone searching?
Closure for the family would be a good thing.

[Edited on 3-25-2014 by Marla Daily]
SoCalPattonCrew
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 03:06 PM

I have made calls yesterday and today to my contacts, asking for status on the investigation:

- We have to wait for them to 'conclude' their investigation before we can pick up the vehicle;
- We also have to wait for their conclusion and description to know where the vehicle was found, with more precision than a 40 mile stretch of dirt road;
- And, we do not know if there is any kind of organized search being done, this was not made clear.

I prefer to think that the police are searching in their own way, and want this resolved with minimal intervention by the family, because they do not need folks in any further endangerment in their town. I am sure the police became very aware of how much how guys wanted to go to the site, and personally I am grateful that they withheld that information for now, but I have to believe it is because they are out there searching. At some point, they'll get pressure from us, but we were asked to give them some time. And, yes, it's hard, but after all this time, it's not cruel or unfair on their part to be ultra-considerate of our guys safety.

We still pray with hope, and if anyone reports anything at all, any call back to me, I'll let you know asap.
And we so appreciate the kind words and willingness of the nomads to jump in and help -- you're all a God-send.
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 03:09 PM

Any idea if the vehicle is running? Or what condition it is in?

Our thoughts are with your family

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 04:00 PM

Thanks for the update, Family. I am for one behind you 100% though I tend to get quite zealous in my ideas at times. Sounds like you are taking the right steps.
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalPattonCrew
I have made calls yesterday and today to my contacts, asking for status on the investigation:

- We have to wait for them to 'conclude' their investigation before we can pick up the vehicle;
- We also have to wait for their conclusion and description to know where the vehicle was found, with more precision than a 40 mile stretch of dirt road;
- And, we do not know if there is any kind of organized search being done, this was not made clear.

I prefer to think that the police are searching in their own way, and want this resolved with minimal intervention by the family, because they do not need folks in any further endangerment in their town. I am sure the police became very aware of how much how guys wanted to go to the site, and personally I am grateful that they withheld that information for now, but I have to believe it is because they are out there searching. At some point, they'll get pressure from us, but we were asked to give them some time. And, yes, it's hard, but after all this time, it's not cruel or unfair on their part to be ultra-considerate of our guys safety.

We still pray with hope, and if anyone reports anything at all, any call back to me, I'll let you know asap.
And we so appreciate the kind words and willingness of the nomads to jump in and help -- you're all a God-send.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 04:58 PM

Quote:

Reminds me of a story. Years back I had a Mexican buddy here who had his house robbed. He reported it to the police and they caught the culprits with my friend's property...the most cherished item being a cassette player.
He went to the station to identify his property asking the police if he could take it with him.
"No," they said...."we have to keep it for evidence."

"For how long?"...asked my buddy.

"Forever," was their answer. :lol::lol:

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
SoCalPattonCrew
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 06:33 PM

Car has no obvious body damage. Our guys couldn't turn on the car so no telling as yet about running condition. Tires need air, don't appear to be damaged, again, all these things still need to be verified. The engine was very dusty, and Interior items appeared undisturbed, but a thorough check as to receipts and other items could not be done, so many details not covered may still offer clues.
Mileage was where it should be, nothing surprising there. Nothing is calling out to us, just still missing him.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 06:50 PM

Thank you for the update. Hope you are closer to some answers.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 07:07 PM

I agree with Dennis in a way, especially when it comes to the Mexican police. In the words of the great late Ronald Reagan, "Trust but verify."
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 07:33 PM

Bureaucracies specialize in burying problems through neglect. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 08:09 AM

When you say "our guys" does that mean no one in the family went down to Baja? If no one was there that was an actual family member the Mexican police will be less likely to cooperate if at all.
Quote:
Car has no obvious body damage. Our guys couldn't turn on the car so no telling as yet about running condition. Tires need air, don't appear to be damaged, again, all these things still need to be verified. The engine was very dusty, and Interior items appeared undisturbed, but a thorough check as to receipts and other items could not be done, so many details not covered may still offer clues.
Mileage was where it should be, nothing surprising there. Nothing is calling out to us, just still missing him.

[Edited on 3-27-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
SoCalPattonCrew
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 08:46 AM

Yes, our family did meet with the Catavina Police officers for the vehicle inspection at their headquarters. We were only able to take photographs and were not permitted to enter the interior of the vehicle. The Police had towed Gary's vehicle to their Police department.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 09:02 AM

Ok cool. So you were referring to your family when you said our guys. I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 09:19 AM

so at this juncture its not clear if the 4runner had mechanical issues or simply got stuck, sending gary off for help?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 09:37 AM

Well it's understandable that they might want to keep the car indefinitely for evidence in a missing person's case.
SoCalPattonCrew
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 04:45 PM

Question Nomads: 1. Are any of you nomads familiar with any road that is south of Catavina heading west toward the ocean that leads to the FISH CAMP as labeled on DavidK's map, see pg. 39? That is, south of Catavina but north of El Pedregoso on DavidK's map? I notice also that elevation becomes an issue when traveling toward the ocean south of Catavina.
2. Also, are there surf spots then at the FISH Camp? Are there others nearby just south of there?
3. Are any of you nomads within 5 hours of this area? It is so very remote, and a ranch maybe nearby but no cell sites anywhere.
To help replies, I numbered the questions -- Thanks, all
 Pages:  1  ..  43    45    47  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.