[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 04:59 PM

1 yes
2 not at the camp but in the area
3 yes, only satellite phones

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 05:16 PM

What Woody said above.

There are definitely Nomads 5 hours from this area. I'm not one of them currently.

No cell service there. Sat phones only. You can rent them.

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 05:22 PM

Just to reiterate, I was there in December, I took that same road in, and drove south to P. Blanco. I did quite a bit of driving, hiking, etc over the course of 2 weeks in the area, and did not see Gary's 4runner. (I was aware of him missing, and had a silver 4runner just like his so I was on the look-out).

I did not pass to the north labeled Fish Camp on DavidK's map. However, I am unaware of any good surf spots in that exact area. If the word was the 4runner being up in that area, I believe the roads are pretty rough to the N and direct South.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 05:31 PM

I am within 5 hours of Catavina.

Stopped at the hotel at Catavina today on our way north, glanced at delegation office on the highway. The 4 Runner is there and looks to be in good shape.

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 05:43 PM

Actually I have gotten occasional cell phone service out at P. San Jose---the signals apparently travel over water from El Rosario/San Quintin. Francisco, one of the fisherman out there, has a cell phone. However, if the phone was inland/in a canyon it would likely be blocked.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 12:07 PM

confirm waht mexitron said. surprised the cells even worked there, but they can in certain spots.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 01:55 PM

If the family is prepping for a search, I wouldn't count on cell service. There may be areas where you get a signal, but if you want solid, reliable connections, in that area, you need a sat phone.

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 04:14 PM

I’ve driven that road almost every year since 1995, so yes, I’m familiar with it.

There are not many spots that are "sandy" where one would get stuck as described happened to the 4Runner, unless he turned up or down one of the sandy washes for camping for the night; and even those are few and far between. The one I'm thinking of is about 2/3 of the way to the coast (3-4 hours off the pavement, plus an hour south of El Rosario). I’ve camped here before, and if you go far enough up the wash you can't be seen from the dirt road. If he was stuck closer to Cataviña in the boulder fields it is likely the vehicle would have been found a lot sooner. There are numerous surf/fishing spots up and down the coast from San Jose, but again if the vehicle was at the coast it would have been seen a lot sooner, lots of traffic and no real out of the way places where a vehicle would remain hidden. My money would be in a "remote" inland area.

Hand held radios may be the best way for limited communication for any searchers in the area.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 05:53 PM

Amigos, I have been out there and I remember only an hour to hour n half ride out there-coast. My trouble was at the rivermouth crossing. If he was off the main road into San Jose then it was well travelled by fishermen, etc. Easy to get stuck! Was it a rainy, wet oct/Nov?? I came thru hwy 1 during early October. Send in the Nomads! Tio
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 06:13 PM

the estuary isn't an issue. too many folks pass by daily. the only issue is past the green school/church/ejido building when there is a fork in the road. we almost got stuck in an offshoot road once, where there was a corral.... i guess if you were trying to be lost from the main drag there are spots, but who does that when the coast is SO CLOSE?

i smell a rat......

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 08:24 AM

by "rat" i mean something isn't kosher here.... why won't SOMEONE say where the car was found?

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 08:30 AM

I'm within 5-7 hours, don't know the road, have a TelCel, a quad and a 4x4.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
by "rat" i mean something isn't kosher here.... why won't SOMEONE say where the car was found?

It could be. It's really unfair to the family. They should complete their report as fast as possible, or at least keep the family abreast of what they're doing and what their plans are. Most likely they're looking for Gary now in the vicinity of the vehicle and we won't get any further information until they find him. That could take a very long time. If I was dealing with heat exhaustion I would climb into the coolness of a cave or beneath some rocks, places that are more difficult to search.

On the other hand, the whole procedure may be stalled waiting for some approval from Mexico City. Stalled for bureaucratic reasons. That would be sad.

Actually the only reason we went from being abducted to being stranded is that they found loose sand beneath the tires. Yet since they moved the vehicle there is no way of confirming that. You would think that anyone pondering leaving his vehicle in a dash for safety would first do everything he could to get the car out of the situation. There should be signs of heavy digging around the vehicle with dead cactus and branches and rocks jammed around the tires. So far nothing like that was reported or confirmed.

[Edited on 3-29-2014 by Skipjack Joe]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
So far nothing like that was reported or confirmed.

Do I not recall someone saying the tires were flat or low? Perhaps he aired down in an effort to get out.
We'll probably never know what really happened.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

...........don't..give..up..hope!!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 11:50 AM

Maybe, just maybe.....the authorities (and possibly the family) don't want a bunch of amateur sleuths screwing up the area before the authorities conduct a search or gather evidence.

Why don't we all give it a rest until the family decides what they want to do.

Quote:

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 12:09 PM

The worst thing in the world is for the "experts" to criticize people who are interested in the outcome of this situation and want to help. I don't see how reflecting on this situation can hurt anyone, after all the family (through Blanca, bless her heart) brought it here to begin with. Questioning a situation is not a sign of ignorance, rather it can be a way for all of us to learn especially the SPOT technology that I was unaware of. I think we all now agree that this is an indispensable part of our travels out of big cities in Mexico and possibly everywhere when we are away from our families. To condescend and insult others because they ask questions is the most ignorant action of all. I for one welcome the information and explanations that many of you have brought here for safety purposes. We have many bright people here on this board and I am amazed each day at the amount of knowledge they share willingly to enlighten others. The ignorant ones are the people who insult others because someone decides to think outside the box and doesn't have a police or detective badge posted on their chest.
Quote:
Quote:

It could be. It's really unfair to the family. They should complete their report as fast as possible, or at least keep the family abreast of what they're doing and what their plans are. Most likely they're looking for Gary now in the vicinity of the vehicle and we won't get any further information until they find him. That could take a very long time. If I was dealing with heat exhaustion I would climb into the coolness of a cave or beneath some rocks, places that are more difficult to search.

On the other hand, the whole procedure may be stalled waiting for some approval from Mexico City. Stalled for bureaucratic reasons. That would be sad.

Actually the only reason we went from being abducted to being stranded is that they found loose sand beneath the tires. Yet since they moved the vehicle there is no way of confirming that. You would think that anyone pondering leaving his vehicle in a dash for safety would first do everything he could to get the car out of the situation. There should be signs of heavy digging around the vehicle with dead cactus and branches and rocks jammed around the tires. So far nothing like that was reported or confirmed.

[Edited on 3-29-2014 by Skipjack Joe]

[Edited on 3-29-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 12:15 PM

Dennis, if a car sits around for 6 months or so do the tires lose air automatically?
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
So far nothing like that was reported or confirmed.

Do I not recall someone saying the tires were flat or low? Perhaps he aired down in an effort to get out.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Maybe, just maybe.....the authorities (and possibly the family) don't want a bunch of amateur sleuths screwing up the area before the authorities conduct a search or gather evidence.

Why don't we all give it a rest until the family decides what they want to do.

Quote:

Good advice. :yes::yes:
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 12:47 PM

+1
 Pages:  1  ..  44    46    48  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.