Pages:  1  ..  45    47    49  ..  68
Author: Subject: Jimena
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Where's Shari.........

We have been trying to e-mail and phone friends in Bahia Asuncion and cannot get through. We guess the electricity and the cell tower are not working.

Last we heard from there was 9 am this morning and all was well, but we do not know what is happening now. Hope to hear soon.

From what we can see, it looks like BA did not get the main hurricane, but it looks like a good possibility of rain---

Diane

EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 06:03 PM

its a day or two early to worry about the drop off point(s). Need to know access is possible first, and how things are shaping up.

The fire station is an open carport. Even w/out a roof, the Bomberos can work from there once they shovel out. This is where they staged donations for H.John & Julio.

Stuff that comes by air will get picked up at the airstrip, but even for that to be fully available is likely to be a coupla days while the airstrip is rehabilitated sufficient for landings. Helicopters can land, so that may be all that gets in for the next 48 hours.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 06:03 PM

Thanks, Diane
grmpb
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 06:21 PM

internet and phone service just came back on in asuncion after being down for most of the day
CasaChristie

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 06:26 PM

Just received the following emails from a neighbor, Jerry & Joyce McCord at Posada Concepcion on the hill. Looks like we all have sustained damage. It seemed appropriate for this thread.

Well, it hit us hard. Will try and update as best I can. Eileen, you lost the two big plate glass windows that face our house, half of your roof including the plywood, the roof to the casita, some solar panels. Juan Carlos is here and got power back on.
Fred, you lost your palapa roof and probably some of the tile.
Deaf Dick lost windows and a door that we can see; Rick & Luanne had a wall next to our street collapse. Houses at the top of the hill are missing roofing and whatever?
Joyce & I lost part of garage roof, the garage door, 3 solar panels (gone, who knows where?). We did manage to avoid mud in the house with the new wall, but an awful lot of water blew/leaked in.
Gigi lost part of her roof, and the solar system looks all messed up on the roof.
Highway is a mess!
Mulege must have had extensive flooding. We got driven from the little house about 8:00 last night by rising water. It got to about 3' deep at Serenidad. We slept in the car until about 2:00 when the water had gone down enough to get out to the highway. Spend the rest of the night here on the bay. We're now stuck with two flat tires (1 ruined) and am going to bum a ride to town to see if I can get in the casita and P/U the Tracker. The bed had floated over in front of the door so will have to break a window and crawl in. When last seen, the refer was on it's back, ditto with the freezer. Power of course is out.
Lucina and Jose Manuel said their house washed away; they're moving back here.
At least the storm is over. Still overcast and slight occasional drizzle.
CJ, think that maybe you only got a little water in the trailer. The rooms of course were flooded. Gary & Tracy, don't know how your place is. Will check when I get back to town. Know that Nona had to have lots of water inside her house. Water was too deep last night and it was too dark to do much more than get to high ground and hope.

A few minutes ago received this one.

Just returned to the bay after trip to town. Can only say that the damage is worse than John was in 2006. Water at the Serenidad got to 3' (my poor piano), road in is virtually impassable, the streets of Mulege are clogged with mud. Most stores closed, including Sauls, the PEMEX, Pinguino, Alba's, Camarena, and the hardware stores. Many structures severly damaged - expecially in Jorge's Park, Orchard, and Oasis. Could see from the hiway several of the 'casitas' in the Orchard are destroyed; all others must by badly damaged. Can't get to the North side of the river, but looking across, am sure there is substantial damage there too. On a bright note, the water store in the town center was open. All the structures near the river in the park by Sauls are destroyed as is the water/ice store at Jorge's. No electricity yet, but CFE trucks are on the scene and working. Many, many downed trees throughout the area.
To all the "hill" dwellers: will try and get up for a quick look-see tomorrow. However, from what we can see from our house, think most all probably have some roof damage and broken windows. That of course will mean water damage. If anyone has an email for Dick Olsen (Deaf Dick), his sailboat has tipped over and the mast is hanging over the hiway. Imagine the first truck through will wipe it out. We have no way to right it or I would.
Please look at those this is being sent to and if any of you have email or contact with others who need to know, please forward. Our 'Gringo Directory' is under 4" of mud on the floor of our place at Serenidad.
On a sad note, heard that the only casualty from this storm was Rafael Cuestas' father (our water man). We are out of water here on the hill, but don't know if it was turned off or if the lines broke somewhere and the pila is empty??
This was a major storm. Don't know how much rain it dumped, but one report said that the winds were over 100 MPH - measured before the anemometer broke! I believe it. Hurricane John in 2006, and Julietta in 2008 didn't do nearly the kind of damage we are seeing. No idea what may have happened in the valley, but know that many of the 'locals' lost roofs and had other damage. Would imagine that as you all start trickling back down, any decent used clothes, utensils, linens etc. would be welcome. Even if you just give them to the people you hire to work on you houses, think they would find a 'home'.

Jerry&Joyce&Willie McCord

Jean & John
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grmpb
internet and phone service just came back on in asuncion after being down for most of the day

Do you have electricity? Hope to see you soon

Diane

DeschutesDiva

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 06:30 PM

Here is the latest from Patsi & Les Hodges on Coyote. She e-mailed her neighbors there earlier with details of the damage to their properties - so I will not repeat that here except to say that there was damage on Coyote - but it sounded to me to be much less than expected with radar showing the eye passing over Bahia Concepcion yesterday afternoon. We are waiting for word from Patsi or Geary on whether our grass shack survived.

"Mulege is bad. They are saying worse than John. Geary went to town and said he can't believe it but not one place between here and there has an undamaged roof. The water came to within 1 meter of the top of the bridge. He says pretty much everything on the river is ruined. He said the Serenidad took an awful hit. He also said he actually saw the high water mark at Panchos store and it was three feet above the sidewalk on the side of his store. The Mulege dam broke. Buildings are flattened and power poles are down. Also the huge new bridge on the corner just going into Santa Rosalia is gone. I don't know if that means it is totally gone or just sections but it is impassable so no traffic between here and there.

Geary lost his porch which is the bahia side of his house. He also lost the roof. He stayed in his trailer behind the house but his equipment was down and he is just now trying to get back online. He met a guy who was trying to get to Loreto and needed work so took him home and he is paying him to help rebuild.

Ana's restuarant lost it's roof.

The bar at Music Mountain and the bathroom there are gone.

The Austrians place is gone up the valley. The trailer is still there but canted to the side some. I understand they were hoping to build there so now's there chance.

Bony's bar no longer has most of its roof and the windows are broken out of it but Bertha's store is fine.

The palms on the beach have all been shed of their dead fronds. How handy is that?"

Patsi
grmpb
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 06:34 PM

electricty has been on the whole time
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Quote:
Originally posted by grmpb

Do you have electricity? Hope to see you soon

Diane

Really stupid question, Diane---he is using a computer and unless it is run by a hamster, the electricity is on. :P:P

Have just been anxious to get a hold of someone.

Diane

CasaChristie

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 06:38 PM

Would appreciate more information about Patsy's email of coyote as our friends have a place on that beach and have not heard anything. This is the most they know so far. Thanks

Jean & John
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 06:49 PM

I KNOW this sounds dumb, but does anyone know if the roads have been opened southbound to mulege...we're headed out of here tomorrow or the next with "stuff" for mulege and need to know if we can even get there...any and all info is appreciated.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 06:53 PM

We sure would appreciate any/all news on the road south...we are headed out of here for mulege tomorrow or the next day with supplies but don't want to be stuck on hwy 1 for a week or two...any reports from nomads is appreciated.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
austriaco

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 06:57 PM

here is another email of patsi, maybe it helps:

Hi All,

Have just a minute of power so will get this off to all at once. Starting at the Villa on the south end--The palapa caved in and much water in the house but from the windows not the roof.

Troegers, the tree on the beach tipped over and there are branches and sticks and junk everywhere but think mostly you escaped the worst of it as did Flyns. Your road from the highway in is washed out again but not quite as bad as last time. Lupe's house in back seems to be just fine but the roof in the front corner of her property is down and junk everywhere.

Horatio--Your place as always looks great. Adrian and Triene were there and taking care of it all.

Gary Casa de Coyle--Same as south of you, lots of limbs and garbage but mostly okay.

Bill Coffman--Stan Baily and Anita all look fine. Just junk everywhere. Taps boats are fine.

Roger-- the cover over the little boat is destroyed as is the goat shed. But for the most part the rest is just junk blown around and just needs cleaning.

Keep in mind we couldn't see in any of these houses so don't know what it looks like inside.

The new houses on Montez' beach have all lost tiles some more than others and John's next to Bobbi has lost probably a quarter of his tiles. Other than that we didn't see much damage. The path between the houses is going to need some work and Bob and Sue's shade over the bedroom is down. Bobbi lost the first row of fiberglass but the remainder of the roof is still there. It's a mess in the lean to but the bird is fine, so don't worry Bobbi. Just some elbow grease and you will be as good as new.

Ed and Wendy lost palms on the front of the roof and the front panels have blown out exposing the inside room. Joe Gluvers house took it the best of all altho we watched his panels go around like a brace and bit the entire storm and couldn't do a thing about it. They made it through just fine. I told Les we should go tie them down now and he said they survived 100mph winds he thought they would be okay until Joe gets back. Joe does have a new addition to his front yard--his Dutch Treat II is high and dry but doesn't seem to be damaged. The fifth wheel trailer on the right side of Ricky's property as you head to the highway was flipped over.

Kenny and Steven's palapa lost a lot of roof palms and all the front panels have been blown in, most broken in the process. A lot of the fence along the side from front to water heater is broken.

Noel and Blanca lost a small section of roof, their huge glass doors are gone and the solar panels flipped over but don't know if they are damaged or just moved.

We covered Paul's back door and sometime during the storm that blew off. The tallest cardon in the yard is tipped over and you will have a lot of work with the cardon fencing. At one point the bimini top on your boat was blown into the up position and the next time we looked it was in a dozen pieces.

From our house Mimi and Lupe and Steve Lotsofsky are looking good. No broken windows that we can see and the little shed on the roof at Mimi is still standing. We'll look into those places more later.

Joe Sedavic's sailboat is washed up on the beach just below his house and the only thing we see lost at his house is the gates which blew down.

Liz from the school has a sailboat on the beach about the middle of Montez's land.

We lost some roofing paper and have a huge wet soggy mess in the entire house but we are so lucky. It could have been so much worse.

Our last report is that no power in Loreto and don't expect to have it back on for a week or so. Mulege no power, water, phone. They are saying they were hit much worse than John. Water to bridge and worse wind this time which flattened many structures. Roads all washed south of us and between Loreto and La Paz. No traffic.

I'll update as I can.

Patsi and Les
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 06:58 PM

quick request for posters,

thanks for everyone's very up to the minute posts. It really is great even though the news is turning very sad now.

When the storm was coming on, everyone was posting with time/date info and I found that to be really helpful in keeping track of what's going on where.

If you think about it, maybe include a simple "3:00pm/Thursday" in the "just heard from..." updates.

think of y'all-
austriaco

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
I KNOW this sounds dumb, but does anyone know if the roads have been opened southbound to mulege...we're headed out of here tomorrow or the next with "stuff" for mulege and need to know if we can even get there...any and all info is appreciated.

I know that Geary went from Burros to Mulege. So the road must be open. at least somrhow.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 07:12 PM

Heard that Saul's tienda in Mulege had 3-4 feet of water. That'd make the water level about even w/the top of the la Fortuna wall.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 07:20 PM

To Pat and Les@ Coyote- Thank you for the report you made on the beach properties. We all just hope you can hang on for awhile on what you have in your house. Your information is very useful, I will get the word out to others who were wondering. Vince Flynn
tigerdog
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 07:30 PM

Here are some photos of the storm and damage in San Carlos. Word is Guaymas got 22 inches of rain (566.8 millimeters)!

http://picasaweb.google.com/cybercoseguridad/Jimena#

[Edited on 9-4-2009 by tigerdog]

\"You know Hobbes, sometimes even my lucky rocket-ship underpants don\'t help.\" - Calvin, from Calvin and Hobbes

Visit me at Rocky Point Tides
http://rptides.blogspot.com/
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 07:40 PM

Well, I am back up AGAIN for a short time. Genny running for now. Latest estimates are that we have received about 30 inches in 27 hours. Still raining, occasionally hard. No cell service. Many boats swamped in the bahia. That elderly gentlemen on the seawall was rescued.

VHF radios ROCK in these conditions. We swap HF radio reports, we sway internet info for those who are without. Heard that the old marina in Santa Rosalia is completely gone.

This thing is only moving about 2mph, slightly to the west again. I dont understand analyses that say the center is about midway between SR and San Carlos, Son. MOST ALL THE MOISTURE, ACCCORDING TO RADAR IS CENTERED OVER US. Predictions are that is could continue to rain all night. 4am would make 36 straight hours. AND NEVER WAS IT JUST SPITTING. I think it never dropped below a 1/2 inch an hour.

Our power probably wont return for days. I will check in when I can. We have been trailer bound and cut off by arroyos into a box of maybe a 1/4 mile, even with 4wd.

But my thoughts are across the Sea in Mulege..................

Mexrick
Junior Nomad

Mood: Still a bit soggy!!!

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 07:45 PM
Mulege Photos

Photos of some of the damage to Mulege are posted on my website: www.mulege-mls.com

The town got trashed. We are without power, water, telephone and Internet service except for and emergency setup such as I have.

:no::no::no::no::no:

Rick - MeT
Live Where You Play
Mulegé, BCS, Mexico
 Pages:  1  ..  45    47    49  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.