Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 12:48 PM

+2

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Dennis, if a car sits around for 6 months or so do the tires lose air automatically

In Mexico, nothing is automatic.

Anyway...I suppose it would depend on the tire.

Why all the useless speculation?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 12:56 PM

Because you mentioned that the tires being almost flat signified something. I was thinking that maybe it was just because the car sat around so long.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Dennis, if a car sits around for 6 months or so do the tires lose air automatically

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-30-2014 at 08:36 AM

remember the shooting in El Rosario many years ago? it happened 200 feet from the cop shop and the bad guys were never caught. a single road heading north and south and they couldn't figure out where the bad guys went? "investigators" in Baja don't inspire confidence.....

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2014 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

remember the shooting in El Rosario many years ago? it happened 200 feet from the cop shop and the bad guys were never caught. a single road heading north and south and they couldn't figure out where the bad guys went? "investigators" in Baja don't inspire confidence.....

To say the least.
Mentioned before....I was driving to the ice cream store a mile from my house when two guys pulled up next to me and blew out the back window of my car with a high power pistol, missing my head by app. a foot. Then they chased me at high speed into Cantu where they backed off.
I immediately drove to the local police station and made the "report" of the incident and the police asked me what they looked like as well as where they might be. I described the car told them the shooters were on the road to Maneadero. They laughed and went back into the station, uninterested.

So much for police involvement when real guns are involved.

[Edited on 3-30-2014 by DENNIS]

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-30-2014 at 09:04 AM

Yes and as you know I strongly disagree with waiting till the police are good and ready. I think the perceived dangers of Baja are dissuading the family as well from mounting a massive search and the suggestions of sitting back and "'letting the police do their work" are utterly ridiculous after all this time. I don't think the police would have any objection for people to start looking for Gary if approached. The crime scene proper could be avoided if the police truly feel there is a crime scene.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2014 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Maybe, just maybe.....the authorities (and possibly the family) don't want a bunch of amateur sleuths screwing up the area before the authorities conduct a search or gather evidence.

Why don't we all give it a rest until the family decides what they want to do.

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
by "rat" i mean something isn't kosher here.... why won't SOMEONE say where the car was found?

I don't see speculating on events as doing anything to hurt the investigation.

All that's offered here are ideas and suggestions of what to look for and what to not overlook or where to look. These hopefully are of some benefit to the family. And not some form of voyeurism as implied.

P.S. I am of the opinion that the police should be given more time and no search should be undertaken until either the family asks for it or the police are stumped.

[Edited on 3-30-2014 by Skipjack Joe]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2014 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Because you mentioned that the tires being almost flat signified something. I was thinking that maybe it was just because the car sat around so long.
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe Gary aired done the tires in an attempt to get unstuck.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2014 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco

That too was mentioned above:

"Do I not recall someone saying the tires were flat or low? Perhaps he aired down in an effort to get out."

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2014 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco

That too was mentioned above:

"Do I not recall someone saying the tires were flat or low? Perhaps he aired down in an effort to get out."
Sorry, I haven't really been following this thread much because it's just mostly idle speculation.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2014 at 01:00 PM

:lol: I was just going to do that, but you beat me to it. Thanks.

SoCalPattonCrew
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 10:11 PM

Dearest Nomads,
The family has received information that is leading us back into a more positive direction.
Authorities are reporting this location where Gary's vehicle was found: (although distanced from the dirt road off the main highway, it is at least not as far as we'd feared originally)

- On Main highway, about 12 Km north of Catavina is a dirt road turn-off
- Turn right at mile marker 189Km; Sign says " San Jose "
- Follow approximately 38 km to a forked road, head right again, and travel another approx 10 Km
- Off this road In this area is an ARROYO, a washout: where the vehicle was found stuck, but with inflated tires
- The location was enough "off-road" that it was not visible from the road (which is why the cowboy spotted it only on horseback)

Pattons hope to be organizing a trip down after Easter, probably now in early May, but still to be confirmed because we need Gary's vehicle released to us for this trip, especially because we prefer the car to be drivable, and our guys have to be present to claim it.

Many of you have offered your help in an organized search, and it is truly appreciated. If you wish to volunteer and want to be on our contact list, send us your information via U2U please, and we would be happy to notify you directly when our dates, plans, are confirmed. Please include in your U2U if you have special equipment, vehicle(s), and communications (especially a satellite phone, have any experience in an effort like this, because we need to know our options for communicating back to the States, i.e., helping our guys check in with our family while there. Best news is that we have a good rendezvous point (watering hole) at Hotel Catavina, as the car sighting appears to be less than 2.5 hours from there.

More to come, our amigos... thank you all for your kind wishes and hopeful thoughts through our ongoing saga....it's extremely important to us that anyone volunteering is not endangering themselves and help all participating to be of utmost in safety, so please, help us know and commit to that going into this.

P.S. If any of you are traveling into that area, please have flyers and the closeup picture of Gary on pg. 19 on nomad site, bearing in mind, that Gary may be sporting a serious darker, long beard and longer hair.
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 11:07 PM

It would be helpful to figure out a GPS fix for the location of his vehicle.

Maybe DK could plot it on a map or aero chart.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stickers
It would be helpful to figure out a GPS fix for the location of his vehicle.

Maybe DK could plot it on a map or aero chart.

This is going by the Patton Family Post which has this data:

1)- On Main highway, about 12 Km north of Catavina is a dirt road turn-off

- Turn right at mile marker 189Km; Sign says " San Jose "

2)- Follow approximately 38 km to a forked road, head right again, ...

3) ...and travel another approx 10 Km

- Off this road In this area is an ARROYO, a washout: where the vehicle was found stuck, but with inflated tires

- The location was enough "off-road" that it was not visible from the road (which is why the cowboy spotted it only on horseback)

The overall area:

Going north 12.9 km (per map) from Cataviña to the Faro San José road, west...

Per map, the fork is 36.1 km. from Hwy. 1...

Heading right at that fork takes you away from the Faro San José road and heads you towards Puerto Canoas (near Punta Canoas), 26.4+ km. from the fork...

Approx. 10 km. on this fork is near Arroyo Mujeres...

Easy walking distance to the large fishing camp of Canoas.

On the AAA map it is the road with 13.9 miles along it...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 08:13 AM

Yep, that about pinpoints the search area. Anyone driven that road that turns off at KM38 towards Canoas lately? Seems TW did recently?

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 08:15 AM

David K never ceases to amaze me- both his willingness to help and his ability to produce whatever maps one needs!!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 09:09 AM

Just want to help in any way that I can...

I studied Google Earth and Bing satellite images and I just don't see any major arroyo crossings ~10 km. from the fork, on the Canoas road. Just a couple of minor ones... so, either the 10 km. figure is way too little or he was on a less used track and not the graded road?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 09:21 AM

I was interested in the area. My guess the stuck vehicle was less than 5 km from the coast by various tracks. I found the road off hwy 1 and followed to an area where it becomes less visible. So I marked various roads in the vicinity. I also made a mark with coords to allow one to get started on GE near the coast. I suspect that place it where arroyo Mujeres hits the coast? To find Cativina zoom GE and look for Santa Ynez.

Search GE and see what you come up with
Paul
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 09:24 AM

The San Jose turn off is at KM168/169. I was on that road on my last trip but not the road to Punta Canoas. As I recall from a previous trip last year on the Canoas rd there is a rancho in the area of concern and that's probably where the cowboy was from.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 09:28 AM

I am thinking if he was that close to the coast, then he would know which way to walk to the fish camp for help?

From the fork (by Santa Maria copper mine) to the coast (Canoas) is 26+ km. The driving instructions were to go approx. 10 km. from the fork.

I am glad you are working on this too, Paul!

Pages:  1  ..  45    47    49  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.