Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  46    48    50  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 10:00 AM

Here is a GE map with the closest location of where the car could have been. It appears to be the only arroyo 10km or 6 miles from the main rd.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 10:00 AM

I guess it's possible he got lost at night but anyone with 1/2 a brain would realize the sun rises in the east and could find his way from there.

something smells.....

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 10:12 AM

I would guess he may have pulled in there to sleep and got stuck trying to leave or someone stole his car and put it there. He was probably in the Canoas area or the San Jose area, since he is a surfer. Showing his picrure in those areas may lead to something. There are also many homes along the coast in the area. San Jose at the coast is a little community. I have not been to Punta Canoas or Puerto Canoas in years.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I would guess he may have pulled in there to sleep and got stuck trying to leave or someone stole his car and put it there.

I think it was said his valuables were still in the car. If the car had been stolen, one would think everything of value would be gone.
??????????????????????????????????????????????

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 10:28 AM

You're right I forgot about that.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 10:45 AM

okay one more time, if he had been out to the coast, it was loong time after he went missing. the same week the family reported him missing we were between punta canoas and santo domingo. huge rains had left the area between punta canoas down to punta maria a giant mud bog with standing water so deep many of the beach areas were totally inaccessible. the guys at the fish camp (who had just dug out a new 4wd chevy truck that was buried up to the door handles) told us the road out to catavina was impassible.
gary's car was only dusty, he hadn't been out there, in that time frame.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 10:53 AM

You guys are doing a tremendous job. By golly, we'll find Gary I'm sure of it with the concerted effort.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
I was interested in the area. My guess the stuck vehicle was less than 5 km from the coast by various tracks. I found the road off hwy 1 and followed to an area where it becomes less visible. So I marked various roads in the vicinity. I also made a mark with coords to allow one to get started on GE near the coast. I suspect that place it where arroyo Mujeres hits the coast? To find Cativina zoom GE and look for Santa Ynez.

Search GE and see what you come up with
Paul

I’m thinking the "turn to the right" and head on the road to Canoas may be wrong.

If you continue straight from this junction, you will come to the green cement building that is used as a meeting hall/church/salon in approx. ~4.3 miles, turn right here (head south) here and go 1.7 miles and there is a nice sandy wash I have camped in. As I have mentioned before there are not a lot of nice camping areas on the drive to the coast, and if you see one you take it, especially if it is getting dark. This spot is well hidden if you go up or down far enough.

This spot is around 14 driving miles to the coast at San Jose, and around 2 hours driving time off the pavement.

If you do the math, this spot also happens to be 6 miles (or 10 KM) from when they said to “turn right.” Just a thought. I may be wrong but I wanted to add my 2 pesos.

The coordinates are 29 26'42.9" 114 53' 14.6" If anyone is interested in posting a GE image.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 10:59 AM

You're awesome, DavidK!!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaLuna
You're awesome, DavidK!!

Yeah...he hasn't been working very much lately and has put on a few kilos. :lol::lol:

jes kiddin' wicha, Big D.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 11:02 AM

One option is he traveled from Baja Jardines (San Quintin) on Hwy. 1 to the Faro San Jose road then headed west... Rather than he was driving the coast road from Santa Catarina to Santa Rosalillita. It was a 2WD 4Runner, correct? If he never arrived at the coastal fishing camps, then that explains why nobody saw him.

Good job with the GE map TW!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:
I was interested in the area. My guess the stuck vehicle was less than 5 km from the coast by various tracks. I found the road off hwy 1 and followed to an area where it becomes less visible. So I marked various roads in the vicinity. I also made a mark with coords to allow one to get started on GE near the coast. I suspect that place it where arroyo Mujeres hits the coast? To find Cativina zoom GE and look for Santa Ynez.

Paul

I’m thinking the "turn to the right" and head on the road to Canoas may be wrong.

If you continue straight from this junction, you will come to the green cement building that is used as a meeting hall/church/salon in approx. ~4.3 miles, turn right here (head south) here and go 1.7 miles and there is a nice sandy wash I have camped in. As I have mentioned before there are not a lot of nice camping areas on the drive to the coast, and if you see one you take it, especially if it is getting dark. This spot is well hidden if you go up or down far enough.

This spot is around 14 driving miles to the coast at San Jose, and around 2 hours driving time off the pavement.

If you do the math, this spot also happens to be 6 miles (or 10 KM) from when they said to “turn right.” Just a thought. I may be wrong but I wanted to add my 2 pesos.

The coordinates are 29 26'42.9" 114 53' 14.6" If anyone is interested in posting a GE image.

But if he had gone on the Canoas fork he would have been in the Lazaro drainage which, at least downstream, is a huge sandy wash.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:

Paul

Taco de Baja's GPS on GE and Bing:

GE high to low:

Even closer with Bing:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 11:52 AM

If we had the Nomads in charge of the Malaysian Jet mystery it would have been solved long ago!!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 01:49 PM

You guys are correct I assumed without measuring the vehicle was closer to the coast.
Measuring the roads I now I find I need better directions & distances
Going Rt there are 2 washes. Going Left again 2.

Even with exact coords of the vehicle the search area will be huge.
Even a good tracker will fail after all this time. What is needed to find the remains would be lots of searchers all taking different logical paths. Whoever goes better take lots of Bing and GE images in a laptop so real time views can make some sense in the field. Hard copy of the images would be required for each party taking their route.Several of the guys here in SF have the laptop capability in their Jeeps.
For now, I give up.
PW
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
If we had the Nomads in charge of the Malaysian Jet mystery it would have been solved long ago!!

or Tattoo, from Fantasy Island! he'd find it....

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 02:51 PM

that search is gonna end up like Amelia Earhart one of the great unsolved mysteries of aviation history.
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr

or Tattoo, from Fantasy Island! he'd find it....
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 03:02 PM

There is a search & rescue org in San Felipe called CERT Community Emergency Response Team
If the family want to contact them go to https://www.facebook.com/CertSanFelipeBc?ref=stream
Paul
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 06:48 PM

It would be nice if we had an exact location where the car was. We could take it from there, right?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 07:06 PM

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find the local vaquero who found the car. Anyone within miles will know about it.
 Pages:  1  ..  46    48    50  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.