Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  11
Author: Subject: The Villages of Loreto Bay
lewm
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 06:23 AM
costco

With all of this development in the works Costco can't be to far behind. Who would ever believe that they would open a store in Cabo.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 08:12 AM
Costco In Los Cabos

is one of the most expensive stores I have shopped in. They carry live Maine lobster, many fine wines and cuts of beef that look out of this world.
You don't see many Mexicans shopping there but lot's and lot's of string bikinis and gold jewelry.
Just a little out of place.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 04:13 PM
there's one right up the run

at hotel / condo row in puerto Vallarta too.

i'd a shopped there but we got the hell out a town and flew 3.5 hours nonstop to mulege to get out of the rain, 5 days straight, and away from the beach vendors.......what a bunch of hassle!!!!

again, sure like being trailer trash....

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-23-2004 at 08:55 PM
Capitan

Viva la Basura !!!!:lol::lol::lol:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2004 at 07:59 AM
AMEN to that Bro!

Oliver Douglas is my hero!

Sure, i work in the development game, building for the wealthy.....hasn't made me rich yet though. It's all relative. But i don't begrudge those that made it to the big leagues money wise. Mega poop projects in baja? dunno....the market will decide what works and what don't. the only constant is change.:coolup::spingrin::lol:

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2004 at 08:03 AM
Well, with a wife like his....

I can certainly understand why. Personally, I liked Mr. Haney!! And since we just got satellite, I can brush up on the old episodes of Green Acres and the Addams Family!
I may never head south again.:lol:
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2004 at 08:55 AM

JR, I knew you liked the Adams Family - from the many photos that you have posted over time.... but now Green Acres... never saw one photo of the pig or anything posted by you. Greeeeeeeen Acres is the place to beeee! Faaaaarm liv'n..... ha hahahaha
Bob H:lol::lol::lol:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 7-30-2004 at 01:11 PM

It's kind of interesting that a development that calls itself environmentally sound has a long string of street lights along its length. Returning from a night dive south of Nopolo we were stunned by the light pollution. Before rounding the point we had been picking out constellations and admiring the stars that were easy to see in the total darkness. When did these lights go in? Is this one of the development "improvements"? By the way, we have been looking for property in Loreto town and can't imagine why anyone would buy into such an overpriced, overhyped disneyland mexican village.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2004 at 05:44 PM

Light pollution sucks.:mad:

Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
It's kind of interesting that a development that calls itself environmentally sound has a long string of street lights along its length. Returning from a night dive south of Nopolo we were stunned by the light pollution. Before rounding the point we had been picking out constellations and admiring the stars that were easy to see in the total darkness. When did these lights go in? Is this one of the development "improvements"? By the way, we have been looking for property in Loreto town and can't imagine why anyone would buy into such an overpriced, overhyped disneyland mexican village.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2004 at 08:13 PM
Anon

I noticed many changes this week one of those was the Lighting.

I would suggest that you look for property in Lake Havasu City AZ. There is a Law that controls the street Lighting, at night it is very Dark, the Stars are Great.

Up here in California we have what you might call "Liberal Pollution" New York and Los Angeles Times newpaper Pollution"etc.

Please be careful when and if you Buy in Loreto, there are Banditos around, just like here in California>

Hope you have a good trip!!

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2004 at 10:18 PM
Because they can

"By the way, we have been looking for property in Loreto town and can't imagine why anyone would buy into such an overpriced, overhyped disneyland mexican village."

Compared to where most buyers live, these places are a relative bargain. It's amazing how effective marketing can be. A lot of people like going to Disneyland. What keeps many Americans from going to Mexico? Fear. So, the developers make a place that feels familiar and safe yet with a "flavor" of Mexico. Apparently it's working quite well for them. The question is, will future buyers be interested in buying in?If the developers can sustain their commitment, I wouldn't be surprised if buyers do alright over time.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 04:57 AM
roger1

On seeing the action at Nopollo,did it not bring to mind the last Decade or so in your Area?

The rush of Californians to the Northwest,the bellyaching that Calif Trash was taking over, buying all the Property etc, the building of Homes in the Marshlands that were flooded in the wet Season, the Signs on property reading"We accept Calif. Money".

There are Scams of all types in all Places where "Hot Market Real Estate Thieves" gather to fleece the general Public. It has been going on for years!

"Let the Buyer Beware" is there Motto. It is no different in Loreto.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2004 at 10:18 AM

"Compared to where most buyers live, these places are a relative bargain." They may think they're a bargain, but they're only considering the price tag and, like you said, only comparing it where they live. But if they'd do their homework, they would find that they could buy a property already with a dwelling on it for much, much less, or buy a lot and have their own custom home built for less. If you really want a place in Baja CA for a getaway, there is no need to pay an exhorbitant price, and to pay more for membership into a cabana club, or whatever it is they call it - how utterly ridiculous. They're spending huge amounts of money for a development with narrow streets, and units placed so close together that you might as well go to a hotel and pay a fraction of they would spend on a yearly vacation in the same place. If these people think they're going to spend their winters there for several months of the year, I hope they like to knit, because after 3 weeks of swimming in the pool and laying on the beach, there's not much else to do. Oh yeah - they were going to have film festivals. Well, that takes care of one Friday night. There was going to be some agriculture project too - this I gotta see -- a desert nursery supported by the same residents who are willing to pay $250,000 for a beach club so someone can hand them a towel. And then you can wander around in the hills if you want. And golf - they spew environmental protection mantras ("tread lightly" - hold me back), and then build a water hogging golf course adjacent to an estuary. If these people think they are buying an investment, they better check around and get all the facts. The project won't come to fruition for 12-15 years - says so in the brochure (and proven in the Civano project) - and that's if you think it will happen. Fonatur is developing other areas of Mexico for the same purpose - Grogan (Trust for Sustainable Development) is John McCarthy's pawn in McCarthy's quest to plunk a European style structure on every pristine beach Mexico has. (Research the environmental problems and overbuilding at Akumal and the deterioration of Cancun - vacant hotels). I don't think there is a fear factor involved - it's an ignorance factor - most people don't even know such properties exist and once they learn only what the developer tells them to the exclusion of the big picture, their tunnel vision prevents an informed decision. Unfortunately, the picture is painted for them with a dubious brush - telling buyers they can net $19,000 by renting their 2 bedroom home; couching the location as the Loreto Bay Marine Park being the "nursery of the blue whales"; they tout Loreto's "cultural amenities" that are "in place" as a selling feature - that Loreto is the "historic capital of all the Californias and home to the first Jesuit Mission, ancient cave paintings and [] number shops and restaurants." Gee - pretty much describes a town - like most towns all over Baja California, which have their unique "cultural amenities." If someone wants to own a piece of "the Baja" (ohlord), there is already plenty on the market without destroying any more of what Baja California is really about.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

wow.gif posted on 8-2-2004 at 02:05 PM
okaaaayyyyy..........

guess you WON'T be buying one then?

:lol::lol::lol::yawn:

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2004 at 02:31 PM
Words of Wisdom

When people move to those newplaces, thereis never enough to do , so Drinking, Gossiping, and all the other things that go with Boredom rears its Ugly head.

Virgina and I Watched as the changes occurred in Loreto, we lived on $800.00 a month, which included a couple of trips to La Paz.

There are many good lots in Loreto with mexicanos neighbors that are "True Neigbors].

If you really want to know and love Baja, Learn Spanish, get involved with the People. Adventure!!

"In God I Trust"

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 06:17 AM
Street lights in Nopolo

I can address the street lights in Nopolo. Been there about 18 years I think when the development was done by MEXICANS. Yep! Done by the Mexican Gov't!! Isn't that somethin'? But it didn't sell well. So along comes someone with guts, money & vision (to those of you who are jeolous of the developers making some money, because 'you' aren't involved in it) and bought up the rest of the lots that hadn't sold. Yes they did acquire rights to addition land for future development, if the project does go. As far as the $160,000 for a lot, someone forgot to mention that it included a home on it. Yes, a small lot, so a small house. So what? There are those that can live in a 700 sq. ft. house, and there are those that need or want a more spacious home for their retirement. If they have the money, let them spend it as they choose. If some people are lucky to have $$$$$'s, don't knock it!!!! Afterall, it IS their money not yours. Being jealous of others holdings, breed trouble. It takes many kinds of people in this world to exist together. Those that have, and those that don't & wish they had, and those that are just happy with what they have. Then there are the malcontents. They want uncle sam to take care of them, and they b-tch about absolutely everything that doesn't meet their approval. You rarely find happy people in the latter class. So, to the malcontents. Did something go wrong in your life that you had no control over, that left you 'behind' and others went on to become satisfied with their life? If so, was it "fate" that caused it, or perhaps was it 'wrong decisions' that placed you in your 'present state'? You don't have to be reading abut Baja to find them. Pick up any reading device and you'll see them all over the place. They don't bother me. I try to not bother them. Peace to all, and may those more fortunate build their castles or shanties at 'their paradise!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 08:29 AM

Maybe that string of lights along the coast has been in awhile; this is the first time that we have seen them, but definitely not the first time we've been along that coast at the same time. I do know that there are other lights in Nopolo that have been there a long time. Because someone has objections to the project does not mean they are jealous or that they don't have enough money to buy multiple lots in the development. It may mean that they have legitimate concerns about environment and legitimately question the need to create an upscale gringo enclave in someone elses country. Just because Fonatur or another government agency has some part in a project, it doesn't mean that the average Mexican citizen approves or benefits. There is a real question about whether or not this project will provide local jobs and tourist destinations don't always help local economies. It may or may not, but that requires some real questioning and analysis. True or not, there is a perception among some local people that the development will be hiring from other parts of Mexico, and that the wages for the development part will not be enough for local people to take the jobs.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 08:41 AM

Phil, you missed the point entirely. Take off those rose colored glasses - they're making you blind.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 08:46 AM
It's wonderful

that many of you have done so well you can afford to build or buy your mansions.
It would also be wonderful if you did it in your own country rather than spread yer dung all over the world.
Especially in the environmentally fragile areas that will be changed forever by just your presence alone!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 02:19 PM
wake up JR and smell the money......

it's a world economy and world markets now. participate and prosper or whine and wither.....:smug::coolup:

Phil, they just don't get the fact that individuals can decide for themselves where to spend their $$'s. And businesses can decide how to manage and take on risk.

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.