Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7
Author: Subject: mike humfreville has passed away
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 04:27 PM

We met briefly at the first Vivabaja party at the San Clemente pier in 2000 and I enjoyed reading his posts. Our thoughts and prairs are with your family.

Viva Mike.....Viva
fernadetijuana and family
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 05:10 PM

Mary Ann,
Our family is grieving this devastating loss and thinking of you and the boys. Please, please let us know if we can be of any help from this end.

xoxoxo
Michael, Wendy and Charlie

[Edited on 11-8-2006 by El Camote]
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 05:22 PM

I met Mike a couple of times and Mary Ann once at the San Felipe book signing. A real person and one that we all will miss. His take on life as told in his stories is something wonderful. Condolences to Mary Ann and the young men in his family.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 06:54 PM

Mary Anne - we are so sorry about Mike - We will be at our house in Bahia within the next 2 weeks and stay way through Thanksgiving or as long as we can be of help. Please feel free to call on us for anything. - Marv and Gail
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 07:47 PM
My Condolences

To you and your family on the loss of a beloved husband, father, brother, uncle and much more.

I only knew you and Mike in the internet kind of way. He was brave enough to write honestly about his life - the successes, the failures, but above all, about Baja and his deep and abiding love for the land and the people.

He was brave enough to "go naked" in front of strangers, to publish his most intimate feelings about his life and insights and aspirations on this "new media", the Internet, exposing himself to the sometimes dismissive, sometimes callous and corrosive judgement of strangers.

When I read here about his passing, the first thought that popped into my head was, "He's the luckiest man I almost met."

Forgive me if I have any details wrong, but I believe he was in a part of his life where he had achieved his lifelong goals; he had successfully moved full time to a place in Baja that he has loved since he was a teenager, he had raised sucessfully a family that was busy spreading their wings and finding their own destiny, and, right up to the end, he was writing and sharing the thoughts and ideas and memories that crammed his brain and begged to be expressed.

Vaya con dios, Mike, go gentle into that goodnight.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 08:09 PM

Please accept sincerest condolences from all of us Mary Ann, extended to your sons and loved ones. Fondly and respectfully, Tommy & Lori Garcia
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 08:14 PM

El buen Mike will be very missed. One of the things i was missing the most in the past few years was not reading as many stories from Mike as i used to. When i first got on the old amigos board, i use to writte a lot about Baja and Mike would praise my little old boring stories. Eventually the board started to change a lot. and i guess it pushed away many great guys like Mike. But even then, he would not leave us dry for long, and he would suddenly post something that reminded us of how this and the late amigo board started. As just a place where guys could talk about Baja everything in a civil matter, with no politics, no riff raff arguing about this and that.

Mike will be missed

Bonair

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 08:19 PM

I seldom post on this board and am a great lurker. Two people kept pulling me back. David K. for his historical knowledge of Baja and Mike Humfreville for his compassionate love of Baja. I will miss his insightful writings. Mary Ann and your sons may you be held gently in the palms of HIS hands. Glenna
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 08:26 PM
Because Mike would not want us to sit around all gloomy faced.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
A few friends and I have named certain stars in the clear night skys of Baja after friends who have passed. We sit on the patio and toast them often...(all too often, my wife says!) A nice bright one is now named Mike Humpreyville...right next to Manuel. Salud, friend of Baja.

My daughter Cody, who earlier wrote on her blog her thoughts and feelings about Mike's passing, bought a new fish today. Just as Summanus named a star after him, I bet you all can guess what Cody named her new fish. Mike would be proud, I would think.

On our way to the fish store she told me of her friends at school today and how she shared with them that her friend Mike had died. She then asked me the question, "Did Mike have any grandchildren?" She and I both knew the answer to that question. I think it was just to qualify her next question. She then asked me if it was ok that she told her friends at school that Mike was "like her baja grampa, sorta like Bedman and Herman".

I think Mike would have liked that. Afterall, she's only 11 and she knew him for over half of her years. I think that qualifies.

I think I'll keep a better eye on our fish tank.

P><*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
jmcleod

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 09:03 PM
Mike Humfreville

I'm an old friend of Mike's (over 24 years) & unfortunately the reports of his passing are true. We will miss him immensly! He died on Sunday morning early in San Quentin. Please keep all of his family and friends in your thoughts & prayers. WE LOVE YOU MIKE!
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 10:22 PM

Maryanne, My prayers are with you and your sons. Vaya con Dios Mike... :saint:

[Edited on 11-8-2006 by Sallysouth]

[Edited on 11-8-2006 by Sallysouth]

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 11:11 PM
Mike Humfreville, forever he will live in all of us

Kind, caring, fun, gruff, abrasive, interesting, entertaining, loving, giving... Mike Humfreville was that, and much more!

The day I met Mike and Mary Ann in early 2000 on the San Clemente Pier at a casual get-together of Internet Baja enthusiasts... Graham Mackintosh is the red headed fellow.

In the following post, I have some photos of some of the fun times when I was with Mike...

san clemente 2000 003.jpg - 48kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 11:27 PM

We have enjoyed Mike's writing on this board for the past few years...as was said earlier, his posts were one of the ones worth coming back for again and again.

I recently purchased 3 books from Amazon to read on our upcoming trip to Baja beginning Monday...Log from the Sea of Cortez, Into a Desert Place, and In the Shadow of the Volcano. Ironically, I received them in the mail today, the same day I heard the sad news. We will miss him and his eloquent way with words.

Our condolences go out to his family.

Dance like no one is watching.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 11:37 PM
2000-2006 My times with Mike...

OCT. 2000 Viva Baja-1

FEB. 2001 Matomi Tour/ Sulfur Mine

MAY 2001 Viva Baja-2

JUL. 2001 Lost Mission Hunt/ Las Flores

NOV. 2001 BBBB-2 Guadalupe Canyon

FEB. 2002 Viva Baja-3

SEPT. 2002 BBBB-4 Cielito Lindo

FEB. 2003 Viva Baja-4

MAY 2003 Pyramid Book Signing-1

JUL. 2003 Camp Gecko (Yellowtail fishing with El Camote)

JAN. 2004 San Borja Tour/ Montevideo

FEB. 2004 Matomi Tour

APR. 2005 Pyramid Book Signing-3

OCT. 2005 In front of their new Baja Home

MAY 2006 Pyramid Book Signing-4

Mike will live forever in us... VAYA CON DIOS MI AMIGO!

[Edited on 11-8-2006 by David K]

humfreville.JPG - 50kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajadtodebone
Junior Nomad

Mood: baja dreamin'

sad.gif posted on 11-8-2006 at 08:20 AM
Mike is Gone?

I am so sad to hear that we no longer have Mike with us but I am confident he is in a better place. He is the second of two true Baja characters this year we have lsot this year. My condolances to Mary Ann and the family. I was in the middle of a series of U2U's with Mike and they abruptly stopped....I wondered why. Our brief but enjoyable experiences with Mike at Campo Gecko are forever on our minds and he in our hearts. via condios me amigo::(:no:
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 06:51 PM

David, that was great...... one of your photos was of Mike that I took in Feburary 2004 on the Matomi run....... Mike always came across so friendly and warm. Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos.
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 08:20 PM

One last Sunset
Between the Burnt Rocks and the Softest Sand
What most see , He has felt and put into words

Vaya con Dios Miguel
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 08:33 PM

MaryAnn, Kevin, and Mikey,
My heart is aching at my good buddy Mike's passing. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. You say the word and I'll be on my way to bahia. Love you all, you are all in my thoughts and prayers.
Pete and Suzanne

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 08:57 PM

I didn't know Mike, but I enjoyed reading his many posts. He had the same love of Baja that many of us have. May he rest in peace in the place that he loved so much. My prayers are with his family.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 10:44 PM

Oh my...how sad indeed. I don't even know what to say. Just very very sad......

I have been reading mikes writings for many years, since the old board and like mentioned above recall his encouraging words at my pitiful attempts to put down in words my Baja adventures. I surely will miss him and so will Baja.

Peace be with him and his family, how lucky we all are to have known him.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.