Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: FISHING - BAJA GEAR
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 07:43 AM

Hmmm...rubber bands, huh, Diver? I will give it a try. Another hint I got was to hook the bait through the nostrils only...and let swim free.

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 08:06 AM

Catching Bait: Alvaro and I always used the small little Crapie type Jigs with 4 Hooks for Bait. Alvaro would hook two together and sometimes come up with 8 Baits at a Time!!

South, off of Coronado was the most favored Spot with 80 Pangas getting Bait at the same time-Right before Light.

All of the various Hooks to Bait have been used successfully in the Past.

For Firecracker Yellowtail in January, I used a Spinning Reel loaded with 17 Lb. Maxim Test- Waiting for the School to Surface, sliding up to the School with Engine Shut Down- Casting across the School with a small CastMaster- Holding on to about 3 out of 5 Fish.

Skeet/Loreto
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 08:09 AM

Skeet/Loreto, "Firecracker Yellowtail?" an interesting term...why are they called that?

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 08:50 AM

Firecrackers are the little guys as compared to the homeguard mossbacks that winter over here in SoCal. Not sure where the term originated.

Football YFT is fairly obvious because that is about their size and shape up to about 25#
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 11:26 AM

Not Sure of where they came onto the Name.

It maybe that when you Hook on to a Big yellowtail, it takes off an a Straight deep Run--where you Hook onto a smaller one on Top of the Water, he takes off Like a Firecracker, up , down , and around and stays closer to the Top.
Not for sure. Skeet
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 08:05 PM

I really only use about 4 different ways to hook a "flylined" bait each of which is dependent on the situation.

The most common method I use is sideways across the nose through the nostrils. In this position the hook holds pretty well and I can get some distance in my casts without ripping out your hook. The bait seems to swim most naturally with this method and seems to live longer. In this position the bait swims naturally even during your retrieve so there is a good chance of getting slammed even as you bring your bait back to change it out. Also effective for slow-trolling a live bait.

Another popular method but one that I probably use the least is called collar hooking. Here you place the hook around that little hard collar right at the aft edge of the gill on the body.

The next method is anal hooking your bait. I don't use this as often but it can be effective when your baits insist on swimming back to the boat. Hooking them in this position usually causes them to swim down and away.

Another method I use is neck hooking mackeral, particularly when slow-trolling. Here the hook is placed just through the skin forward of the dorsal. When slow-trolled, this position makes your bait work similar to a diving plug.

I personally don't like to hook my bait through the mouth as I feel the bait can drown quickly because water can't flow through the gills.

The number one rule I live by when flylining baits is to MATCH YOUR HOOK TO YOUR BAIT. Do not match your hook to the fish you want to catch. If that technique worked we would only have 12/0's in our tackle boxes.:lol:

Select a hook that will still allow your bait to swim as naturally as possible and also still be lively. As you can easily see this applies to line selection as well. A poor anchovy trying to drag around 80# test with a 3/0 hook is not going to look natural or lively.

When flylining, pull your line off your reel as you keep in contact with your bait rather than requiring your bait to pull it off the reel itself. It will exhaust quickly if you don't.
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 09:26 PM

Alan gives four good methods. One more would be using rigging floss. Take a piece 6-8" long and tie it into a loop. Use a rigging needle to pull the loop through the nostrils. Place one end of the loop through the other, and place the hook into the outer loop. Twist until the loop tightens, and then take the hook through the back loop. The hook is secure, the bait has little damage, and can be used in any manner. It'll last longer, and, swim better than many other methods of rigging live bait...This a great way to use circle hooks...
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 07:26 AM

Great tips on hooking live-rigs, Diver, Alan, Skeet, Don Alley, aquaholic, whistler, Hook and all....I can see those baits swimming already! These are all good methods mentioned and I will eventually try them all, but I think the first one will be flylining a circle-hooked bait through the nose..no leader, no weights between bait and rod. Then I will put the rod in a holder, and leave the reel in free-spool with just the clicker on to let me know when I have a pickup. In the meantime, I will be having some coffee while kicking back looking for the 'green flash'...ah, the good life.

Also, while searching around I found this site about live bait rigging.

http://www.mytackle.net/live%20bait%20techniques.htm

Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.