BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7
Author: Subject: A very BAD report from Loreto!
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2007 at 06:42 AM

Sunday morning, 7:00 AM. Low tide (approx -1.30).

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2007 at 06:45 AM

The new concrete:

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 6-17-2007 at 07:00 AM

Maybe it's just the photo but that does not look like a properly prepared substrate with a min. 5 inches of concrete...:?:

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2007 at 09:09 AM

Bus, it is about 5" thick, with lots of re-bar. I don"t know if thats properly prepaired or not.

Just got back from the marina and they are going at it hard. The remaining half of the ramp is almost stripped of the old concrete. They have been working 7 days a week in 100 degree heat, if it doesn't get finished by tourny time, it sure isnt the workers fault.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-17-2007 at 09:20 AM

Jeez! A 20'x50' slab on a slight incline? Factor in the tide etc. Who the heck is running the operation? :?:They should have been finished and gone in 4 days at the max.:biggrin:
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2007 at 10:55 AM

4 days Idaho time is about two weeks here, mas o menos. It's kinda like dog years.

[Edited on 6-17-2007 by backninedan]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-17-2007 at 11:03 AM

backninedan, :biggrin:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2007 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan
..... It's kinda like dog years.

:lol::lol::lol:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2007 at 11:27 AM

Guess they don't have a unlimited supply of illegals to do all the heavy hand work.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 07:58 AM

Hi there,

so any reasonable assesment on when this thing appears that it will be useable? I know nada about construction so asking because this affects how we need to work this season. My Captain Fidel commented that the old ramp used large concrete forms placed at the waterline which went below the waterline. He is concerned that this poured concrete will end up breaking at the base where the concrete meets the soil, over time and that will be difficult for boats launching. Any opinions here on that? I think they're working fairly quickly on this but something will go wrong, it always does here, what that will be is anyone's guess. Remember all the streets in town were supposed to be completed in May! Now it looks as though they have at least 6 months work ahead of them or more at the rate they're moving on it.

Beach launching is working out well for the pangas. How are the other larger boats doing?

The first tournament is Saturday, this ramp won't be ready by then. The second is the Vagabundos tournament which I think is the first weekend in July, and the thirs is the Fishing for the Mission tournament which is on the 12th,13th and 14th. Then there's all those local and visiting boats that need to also accommodate. Wonder how this is effecting evaryone's fishing trips and expenses destined for vacations. That is $30 per boat per day that won't be spent on a local taco stand or gift shop, etc.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
The new concrete:

Pam,
If this is the lower section and they are planning to pour uphill from there, they may eventually have a problem at the joint. They should have left rebar sticking out of the first pour to connect to the second and third pours, etc.
if the tidal action begins to undermine the lower slab, things will get interesting.
It should last a few years or until the next big storm !

Timeframe ?? Come'on, you're in Baja.
It could theoretically all be poured within 2 days and useable within a few days after that; theoretically !

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 08:15 AM

These guys had a little trouble getting through the loose gravel higher on the beach, it looked like no 4x4.

DSC_0021.jpg - 27kB

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 08:16 AM

Back just a little more. And I think these Pacific plate aluminum boats are light, probably much easier to beach launch than a big glass boat.

[Edited on 6-18-2007 by Don Alley]

DSC_0022.jpg - 32kB

backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 08:47 AM

My 22 foot tin boat beach launches just fine (with 4X4). Pam, I talked to a vacationer yesterday down at the loading dock and he was pretty peeed at not having any notice on the ramp repair. He said it had ruined his trip and he wouldn't be coming back to Loreto again.

Not saying he is justified or not, just giving his reaction to the re-build.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 09:12 AM

and the pueblo loses out big time. What a shame. I can't believe it's stupidity, no one running a town could possibly be this stupid. It has to be arrogance and a sheer disregard for anything sensible.

there are lots of other places besides Loreto, this could cost a lot of people, an awful lot of business. What a disgrace. I ran a small business n a tourist community, ya only got so much time to make your bread. Well, we know the local politicos will still get there checks, theyoughta be locked up instead!

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
It cures slowly but thoroughly under water. On dry land, calcium chloride can be added to the mix to accelerate drying. It would probably work under water as well.

Except that calcium chloride will accelerate the degradation of the rebar...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 02:50 PM

Use Mexican calcium chloride. Dog years. Remember?
There should be a footing at the edge of the slab, where it ends. Lots of weight at the edge is like a lever. It would probably be the first part to show disintegration.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Don Alley
The new concrete:

The concrete looks a little rough at the bottom? Is that the real finish?:o

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
kellychapman
Nomad

Mood: heavenly

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 04:14 PM

well long time no posts.....as a result of my computor getting some tequilla in it late one night while posting.....:( has taken 7 months to get the problem fixed.....just like the roads in Loreto....the reason why I left for awhile....it sucks bigtime and now I see they have torn up the marina...for goodness sakes what on earth where they thinking????? I am embarressed to see the way they have done our beautiful town and had to leave until the streets are completed because I cannot stand all the dirt filled with crap that blows around...hope it gets completed soon so life can get back to normal in beautiful Loreto.....
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 04:15 PM

The bottom Don showed is really the bottom. That concrete was poured on Saturday morning as I send off the boats. Yesterday (Sunday) as I sent the boats one of the workers was walking at the base and those holes are his footprints. I think it looks like shoddy work but I know nada about construction. There's no footing at the bottom of that slab there's rebar but its poured directly over the soil. Doesn't the salt affect the concrete like some of the older buildings in town that once used beach sand? Maybe this is a special cement that doesn't do that.

Yes George the timing on this is beyond stoopid. See some of my comments at the first part of this thread, I think it is an effort to anger average citizens here to the point of vacating and making room for the rich beautiful people and their yachts, jets and fancy cars. Us average working people are taking up their prime space so they want us out but they will leave the very poor around so they can have their toilets cleaned then they'll be shipped to some worker encampment out of town until their next day's work. :(
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.