BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: Ford or Toyota - Which would you buy?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
So, back to the original question... do you need a big truck like an f-250 or will an F-150 work?

How about getting the one good thing I would buy from Ford if I could... A RAPTOR!!!??? :cool:

To buy a pickup, I'd have to sell the Rubicon to make the downpayment. Not gonna happen. Leidys is now a pickup crazy urban cowgirl.

I am confused Ken, this is your post:

>>>Ford or Toyota - Which would you buy?

I hear the Toyota gets better mileage than the F250. Anyone have anything to add? <<<

If you are not going to buy it, is Leidys? Or are you just creating a fireside chat?

Mision Santa Maria is less than 2 weeks away!

Nothing serious, just conversation with the guys. I'm not selling my Rubicon, period. But, I haven't driven a pickup in several years, and I wanted to know about what everyone thinks of theirs. Leidys wants her own, but I'm not looking at making more payments - she has to get a job first.

-Ken

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 06:11 PM

That's the ticket...

From Nomad comments, it seems that the:

Best 'mid size' Baja truck is the Tacoma... (TRD OFF ROAD 4WD)

Best 'full size' Baja truck is either the Ford or Dodge

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 06:56 PM
Gas mileage

Hey, just an update on the old Bronco with 213,000

Today drove over the Primo Tapia, to get gas at Pemex for the Bronco… have been driving it for a couple of weeks since we came back down after getting the SENTRI Pass for it.

Had put 98 miles on it and it was showing less than ¾ tank by a bit…

Figured it was going to take may be $40-$50 to fill it… it took $20 dollars with PEMEX conversion on the dollar and their calibration of their pumps…. Don’t think they have Weights and Measure Department in County/Municipality of Rosarito …. May be wrong but, have never seen a Weights and Measures Truck with all the associated testing equipment EVER…

It only took $20 dollars.. I just made enough for drinks and lunch and Cantilles…

The wife, however wanted to go Climex in Rosarito, and I wanted check out a $450 2-bedroom residence with utilities included plus Internet…. Well you all know the old saying, “If it sounds to good to be true, Well you know… LOL… but, fun…. Looking around…

The wife set a record in Calimex. Was in and out within 30 minutes… the cart guys were asking me what I did, my wife was running around asking “where is the Bacon” ….. LOL

We got out of there and headed as quick as I was going to drive on Highway Mex 1… given the deplorable condition of the road in places…. There is oblivious signs of subsidence from the last quake… and the potholes are not potholes, rather “PITS” in some cases I’ve seen holes as deep as 12-14 “ and 3’ in circumference that’s just a guess, couldn’t stop to measure… was trying to avoid… have had to have the front end redone on the car once so far… this is hard on any vehicle. Not matter what the setup. It wears parts out. or knocks them out to cause other problems.. and money…

Well, we ended up at Cantilenas, the place was full, It was Men’s day… never heard of that one… but, I thought it was pretty good.

As for us, we knew what we wanted, a Cadillac Margarita and a Tecate in a bottle for me and a Strawberry margarita for the wife…

Lots of folks, and lots of talk… we finally got something to eat… Onion rings… yep, something us old folks just have to have Onion Rings… only better thing would have been “corndogs”.. with really good mustard…

We had a really great time again… and had the funniest thing happen..

These guys were leaving and came back in and asked, “Hey, is that your Bronco outside?” I said yes, …. They guy needed a “jump” …. I said for sure and the wife went ahead as I pretty slow …. When I got outside I was “stupefied” …….. My wife had just given a jump to new Toyota Tundra… from a 1986 Ford Bronco with 213,000 miles

A really funny experience when I walked outside and saw the truck… never even dawned on me, the on going thing about Toyota and Ford… still laughing …. What timing…

It’s all good… check the pictures

The pictures are what they are… I started taking when looking at a rental …… the bar and jump is toward the end

http://gallery.me.com/wswesson#100469&bgcolor=black&...

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 07:37 PM

Our Toy(ota, #2) we purchased a few months ago. Heading back South after minor service (turned out to be the master cylinder) at home in San Diego

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
irenemm
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 08:52 PM

Wessongroup
That Bronco is beautiful. For an 86 it looks great. Ford will always beat a toyota.

stop and visit us

http://www.posadadondiego.com
see us on facebook
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-18-2010 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Our Toy(ota, #2) we purchased a few months ago. Heading back South after minor service (turned out to be the master cylinder) at home in San Diego

Nice setup.... and a good looking rigs too... keep them rolling... :):)

classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 12:34 PM

I had a chance to ride in the new Raptor....absolutely insane...if you can afford it get it...I can't afford it.

My Baja trucks are now

1991 toyota 4runner 1.5" lift brand spanking new v6
1997 Ford f250 diesel 4x4
1966 Bronco Locked and loaded to the hilt

My past vehicles
1997 f150 longbed 4.6l
1999 f150 shortbed 4.2 liter( this truck rocked!)
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 12:38 PM

for the record....

My toyota with 5k on the engine gets 12 in own and 16 on the highway.
My f250 diesel with all the goodies gets 19 on the highway, haven't watched in town as I hardly drive it in town.
My Bronco gets 8mph, but it is an atv with 400+ ponies
My F150 with a 4.2l got 18mph
my f150 with a 4.6l got 16mph
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2010 at 11:00 PM
Why Toyota... for four wheeling: A-TRAC

'Active Traction Control' is included on the Off Road TRD 4WD Tacoma starting in 2009... Gives you the traction of front and rear lockers... Note this stock 4Runner with non-aggressive tires at Moab using the A-TRAC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMvtTKzVy2M&feature=playe...

[Edited on 5-25-2010 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2010 at 06:17 AM

Is that really a stock 4runner? It looks like it is lifted, and has a set of aftermarket tires and wheels....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2010 at 06:36 AM

I based my comments on what I saw in the video, the tires look like A/T and not M/T... You could be correct, but it is closer to 'stock' than a rock crawler. It is a good demo of how well A-TRAC works... in the final seconds you see the front right tire come off the ground and rotation is closely matched with the other tire.

You should join us this weekend, it is a 15 mile A-TRAC or Locker trail!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-25-2010 at 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by classicbajabronco
for the record....

My f250 diesel with all the goodies gets 19 on the highway, haven't watched in town as I hardly drive it in town.

your toyota is getting bad mileage. a 4runner should get better than that. perhaps you drive like a jack rabbit? or do you have silly big tires and a drag parachute on roof rack? :lol:
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2010 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
I based my comments on what I saw in the video, the tires look like A/T and not M/T... You could be correct, but it is closer to 'stock' than a rock crawler. It is a good demo of how well A-TRAC works... in the final seconds you see the front right tire come off the ground and rotation is closely matched with the other tire.

You should join us this weekend, it is a 15 mile A-TRAC or Locker trail!

I would love to join you guys on that trip. however that is a long ways north for me. And I would need to trailer the bronco...and I don't have a trailer as of yet.

I run a detroit in the rear, open in the front as I haven't found the need for an ARB or OX locker yet.

I noticed the tire lift off the ground and I was going to mention it didn't look like he had sway bar disconnects.. as well i don't think the new toyotas ran solid axles so this must be an IFS...if so very impressive.

[Edited on 5-25-2010 by classicbajabronco]
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2010 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
for the record....

your toyota is getting bad mileage. a 4runner should get better than that. perhaps you drive like a jack rabbit? or do you have silly big tires and a drag parachute on roof rack? :lol:

The Toyota is a 3.0V6( read gutless), it is running 31" tires on a 1.5" lift. The numbers I gave are the numbers Toyota lists on this vehicle in stock form with this engine and an Auto. This rig is my wifes. It no longer runs a catalytic convertor, has Bosch Platnums, K&N airfilters and gets the same milage as a stock 4runner.

My old Toyota 4x4 with the 22re 4 banger got 22mpg and had close to the same power.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-25-2010 at 03:42 PM

Quote:
for the record....

That seems low for a 4-runner. My 2007 Nissan X-terra "off road" Model with a 4.0L V-6 & auto 4-speed tranny gets a solid 20 mpg on the highway at 65---15+ in town. Push it up to 75 and the MPG drops to around 17.

My '94 F-250 4x4 with 460 V-8 and manual 5-speed tranny & 355 diffs. gets a solid 10 mpg, no matter what I pull, or not pull, but it is soooooo smooth and quiet. :lol:

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2010 at 07:19 PM

My 2010 Tacoma double cab has the 4.0 V-6, 5 speed automatic, part time 4WD, with 7,500 miles on it, and gets 15-16 city, 16-17 mixed, and 17-19 hwy. so far... This is about what my 2005 Tacoma got.

classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2010 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
[My '94 F-250 4x4 with 460 V-8 and manual 5-speed tranny & 355 diffs. gets a solid 10 mpg, no matter what I pull, or not pull, but it is soooooo smooth and quiet. :lol:

Barry

You definatley got me on the quiet part, but I definately got you on the mileage and power part. As well I am sure you can go a hell of alot faster. I am about topped out at 75mph...not that there's any need to go any faster.;D
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.