[*] posted on 7-27-2004 at 09:27 AM
Do they ???

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 7-27-2004 at 10:12 AM
JR

Here is some help YES. And you can just sit there with beer in hand and click away.
But then you are not that kind of guy.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2004 at 11:40 AM
Click away, yes

beer in hand, probably not.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-28-2004 at 05:53 PM

Why cant Americans lern to live and let live , and try to learn some of the Mexican customes and colture be for thay jump in and try to change everythang in Mexico.

we have all seen it a thosund times some nube comes here from fresno and imedetly starts trying to change everythang so it is just like Fresno.

Bruce R Leech Mulege Baja

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-28-2004 at 06:29 PM

I wonder why it is that so many Mexicans who decide to live in the U.S. refuse to learn American customs, enjoy local food, even learn the language... and they live in tight knit communities among themselves...

Kinda ironic, don't you think???

The difference is the U.S. will bend over backwards for the immigrant. Ballots are printed in Spanish, schools are taught in Spanish, bilingual personal available at all government agencies...

We can't have Halloween carnivals anymore because it might offend the Wickens!!! But, we now have the Day of the Dead celebrated here in Southern California!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2004 at 06:31 PM
Bruce

I have watched your posts today as well as the rest of the days.
Because you have a friend that I respect, I have not said anything about the stories I have heard about you.
I am aware there are always 2 sides. But, if you want to make points and be the cool, "I live in Mulege" dude, at least learn how to spell before making your brilliant observations.:light:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2004 at 06:36 PM
David

they just want your money. Not your gringo customs and family values.
Bend over backwards? How much do you pay "your Mexicans" ? And do you have 401K's for them? Insurance?
Obviously, you are as aware of what is going on there as you are here.:lol:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2004 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

The difference is the U.S. will bend over backwards for the immigrant. Ballots are printed in Spanish

Uh.....David, I guess you didn't read the paper today.:biggrin:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/politics/20041028-9999-7m...

[Edited on 10-29-2004 by Dave]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2004 at 09:51 PM

Actually Dave, that proves my statement. I read that article today, at lunch (Sunrise Cafe).

It seems the Spanish voter guide was written very poorly. So, at additional expense they will be done over so they are grammatically correct!!!

The issue I am making is that to vote here, you need to be a U.S. citizen (duh!). To be a citizen, you must know basic English.

JR, my helper likes what I pay very well.

[Edited on 10-29-2004 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 12:24 AM

So when was it decided that good spelling was a requisite for posts on this Forum?

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 07:24 AM

Back to Bruce's post :

Quote:

some nube comes here from fresno and imedetly starts trying to change everythang so it is just like Fresno.

L Bruce - I was in Fresno last week - Fresno is pretty much all mexican nowadays - with maybe a few Vietnamese mixed in - in fact in Sacramento some folks have started calling it "beaner town" - (pero con humor y cari?o).
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 07:33 AM

Thank you Hose A. I went and it looked so easy, it is downloading now...

Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 07:56 AM
Thanks Hose A

I really needed that. I get tired of trying to take eveything to word to spell check it. This is just what I needed. k:yes::spingrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 08:02 AM

There was, you're not going crazy! After I posted that question, I went to iespell.com and got my answer... I frequently remove my posts that are no necessary. Thanks again... I think the rain is gone for now... so off to work!

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 10:12 AM
Fitting In

It's a lot more complicated than "fit in, be nice, show respect, they'll do the same". I live in a fishing village. The best I can do is share a beer with my Mexican friends and talk about fishing, weather, fishing, weather. It's not that I can't speak the language, it's not that they have no other interests, it's just that there are literally a couple hundred years of culture sitting like a fence between us. I can no more become Mexicanized than they can be like me. We celebrate our difference. I don't want to be a part of their culture -- I have my own culture. A poor pig farmer who moves to a U.S. college town will have a hard time "fitting in". I gave up. I love this place, I love the people, they tolerate me, it's enough. In fact, sometimes it's more than enough.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 12:54 PM

Hoe zay

Thanx fore the lynk to spel chker. Lukillee i havve no kneed fore sumthin lik thaat.

:lol:
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 10-30-2004 at 05:25 PM
Jefe

Back in July I asked if JR had set a record and you responed with a negative----Well! Damn! Did 3254 do it? Like I said I enjoy going back and reading old posts. Like Brandy they get better with age.
Saludos, Senior JR----stimulate away.

[Edited on 10-31-2004 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 04:45 PM
On this spell check issue;

Ya know, I find it pretty intimadating now that I must work on public computers, where my only hope of a spell check is in Spanish. You just can't go down loading spell check on every computer that you come across. Any other opitions? I am open to any ideas that are pratical. I have always been a god-awful speller, but got away with it thanks to Spell check on my computer at home.

Ni modo, where I am going with this is; what truly matters to me is the context of a persons thought expressed, not their mastery of grammer and spelling, what has that got to do with intellengence? Some of the stupidest people who have nothing to say are great spellers. Geez guys, lighten up!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2004 at 05:07 PM
I disagree Eli

I think that it is very important for people to be able to comprehend. And that can be quite difficult if you are not able to read. And if you can't spell, there is a good possibility that you are not fully grasping what you are reading but guessing at it...
Obviously, that is not always the case but, more often than not, it does apply.
Now, most of these folks doing business down here or even just living here have to deal with Mexican paperwork at some time or other. If they can't fully grasp what they are reading in english, guess what happens when they are reading Spanish! Punta Banda !!:lol:
I don't know who started the original Baja spell checker on here but personally, rather than just ignore problems, I would rather say something to try and remedy them. I know that is probably an anti american thing but heck darn, I just cain't hep maseff!:light:
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.