Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  19
Author: Subject: A Double Shakedown in Constitución
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Besides...who does it hurt?

Any business that provisions inventory and schedules labor based on reservations. Also, legitimate customers competing for limited service.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Besides...who does it hurt?

Any business that provisions inventory and schedules labor based on reservations. Also, legitimate customers competing for limited service.

That's a stretch when you're projecting impact on the industry.
The method I suggest wouldn't allow enough time for businesses to commit inventory, labor or accomodations to the point of incurring any kind of loss. Twenty four hours for the process would be sufficient to illustrate to business owners that they are being negatively affected by the conduct of the city police in Constitución.
In that twenty four hour span, especially given where we are, I doubt too much thought, let alone expense, would be invested in preparation.

I also doubt we need discuss "limited service" these days. "Limited customers" continues to be the regional problem and that makes this plan that much more affective.

Personally, I can live out what's left of my life without ever going through that snake-pit again, but those here who plan on doing that should consider being a bit more proactive in controlling the safety of their environment.
I honestly don't care...and when I have to sit here and defend my motives and procedures, I care even less.
You folks are on your own.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 08:11 PM

This to Mag Bay Tours:

"I have stayed at Manfred's RV Park in Ciudad Constitution in the past and hoped to stay there again this year and perhaps hire you to put me into some Kayak fishing. Now I hear, Baja Nomads, that the cops in Ciudad Constitution are shaking down people from the US. Unfortunately I am not going further than Guerro Negro if this is not stopped.
Thank you."

I have tried to find and Email to Patricia, who is a wonderful owner of Manfred's and could not find an email for her. This is one of the finest RV Parks I have stayed at in the Baja. I had hoped to do some Kayak fishing with Mag Bay Tours, they look awesome.

If anyone can come up with an email address for Patricia at Manfred's I would appreciate that.

Iflyfish
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 08:15 PM

Thanks Dennis for posting the links and for weighing in on this. I am steamed!! I will think more about who I might contact, who would benifit from our going south of Ciudad Constitution. I had planned to travel to La Paz, eat at Tres Virgines, Stay at the camp ground in town, visit Todos Santos again....will think of who I also might email and encourage other Nomads to do the same. We do have strength in numbers and Dennis, I hope you will not give up because of a post that was offensive to you. I appreciate your thinking on this.

Iflyfish
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 08:17 PM

Here is a list of businesses in Ciudad Constitution:

http://www.bajaquest.com/baja17.htm

Iflyfish
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 08:21 PM
Contacts

SECTUR - Secretaría de Turismo de México
Making tourism a national priority is one of the fundamental axes of the new tourist policy laid down in the National Tourism Program 2001 – 2006. One of the main purposes of the program is to consolidate the production and dissemination of information to strengthen the sector.

The information is more than important to our tourist work, it is indispensable, and we can use it to provide a solid basis for the decision-making process. We place at your disposal information that we have compiled from a number of recently conducted surveys and research exercises. Additional information will soon be available on our Secretaría de Turismo web site.

I N F O T U R ….. It is a privilege to help you …..
The Ministry of Tourism, through INFOTUR, part of the Tourist Services Division, provides free information to Mexican and foreign tourists, including co-nationals, about tourist destinations, attractions and services.

You may contact us by telephone, mail and e-mail, or visit our tourist information office, where we will also be happy to assist you in finding lodging.

http://www.sectur.gob.mx/wb2/secturing/sect_1052_tourism_inf...

You may write to us at:
MINISTRY OF TOURISM - INFOTUR
Av. Presidente Masaryk 172, ground floor, Chapultepec Morales, Miguel Hidalgo,
Mexico City, México D. F.
Telephone: 30 02 63 00 Ext. 1151.

Or contact us by e-mail at: correspondencia@sectur.gob.mx
Profeco - (Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor)

How to file a complaint with Profeco

Attention to Foreigners

Profeco is committed to always provide the best service. We extend our protection to the people who do not live in Mexico and acquire any product or service from a Mexican supplier and are not satisfied with the good or service.

More details about how to file a complaint with Profeco.

For further information you can contact us at the following numbers:
(52) 55-68-87-22 (phone); (+52) 55 5211-2052 (fax), or E-mail: extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx
Fonatur - Fondo Nacional de Fomento al Turismo

MISSION - “To take part in the consolidation of the country’s sustainable development through the promotion of the nation’s tourism industry”.

VISION - “As a federal government agency, to serve as a leading institution in promoting the development of diversified tourism projects that are in keeping with global trends, by relying on a business structure that encourages private investment in projects that spur regional development, thus securing economic and social gains for those regions, by facilitating funding and credit, and by adopting an active and hands-on approach in areas where assured recovery will help lead to self-sufficiency and generate resources, as well as strengthen the institution’s role as a financial instrument within the tourism sector”.
Fondo Nacional de Fomento al Turismo
Tecoyotitla No. 100, Col. Florida C.P. 01030 México D.F.
Tel.: 50 - 90 - 42 - 00

COMPTROLLER’S OFFICE: COMPLAINTS AND REPORTS
http://www.fonatur.gob.mx/_ingles/indexmis.html
This page opens to their "About Us" page. Click on "Contact Us" on the left side of the page - At the bottom of the page there is a link to the Comptroller's Office: Complaints and Reports. This form is in Spanish.

www.fonatur.gob.mx
Ministry of Tourism
Tourism Help Department - La Paz

La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico

Fax: (612) 124 - 0768 (From Mexico)
Fax: 01 (612) 124 - 0722 (From USA)

Phone: 01 (612) 124 - 0100 to 03

E-mail: turismo@gbcs.gob.mx

La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Km 51/2 Carretera al Norte Edificio Fidepa2
Apartado Postal # 419 CP. 23090
Secretaría de Turismo de Baja California Sur
Departamento de Auxilio Turistico

Sr. Adolfo Gonzalez Garcia
Jefe del departamento de Auxilio Turistico

Phone: 01 (612) 124 - 0100 to 03
Fax: 01 (612) 124 - 0722

E-mail: turismo@gbcs.gob.mx

La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Km 51/2 Carretera al Norte Edificio Fidepa2
Apartado Postal # 419 CP. 23090
Los Cabos Tourism Office - Secretaría Municipal de Turismo
Director: Lic. Jose Manuel Gonzalez Arreola

If you have comments, complaints, suggestions or need help from our city government,
please let us know.

Location: Blvd. Mauricio Castro s/n, Plaza San José, Locales 3 y 4
San José del Cabo. Baja California Sur, C.P. 23400 México.

Tel(s): (624) 146-9628 | E-mail: turismoloscabos@prodigy.net.mx

http://www.loscabos.gob.mx
Los Cabos Convention & Visitors Bureau

Oficina de Convenciones y Visitantes de Los Cabos
Sr. Ruben Sanchez, General Director
Lazaro Card##as Edificio Posada, s/n, Colonia el Medano
Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, CP 23410 Mexico

Telephone: (624) 143-4777 (from USA and Canada dial 011-52 first)
USA Toll Free: 1-866 LOS CABOS - (866) 567-2226
info@loscaboscvb.com

This phone number is answered by a recorded message asking that callers leave their address for mailing of information on Los Cabos or leave a message if they have a more detailed issue.

To receive a free copy of the Visit Los Cabos Guide call: 1-866 Los Cabos - 866-567-2226
(note: this is not Los Cabos Magazine or Los Cabos Visitor's Guide)
This phone number is answered by a recorded message asking that callers leave their address for mailing of information on Los Cabos or leave a message if they have a more detailed issue

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 08:23 PM
Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Peloncito
He told me he was going to keep my license and I could come get it at 8:00 the next morning at the police station or........ $500 pesos right now. I pondered letting him keep my license and just getting a new one when I returned to the states, but figured that might not be that bright.

After negotiating for several minutes, we agreed on $400 pesos and we were on our way.
Mike

Do you know what a ''throw away license'' is?

$400 pesos instead of $500 pesos? With this kind of negotiations, the cops will continue to stop gringoes.

Good luck.
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
I have tried to find and Email to Patricia, who is a wonderful owner of Manfred's and could not find an email for her. This is one of the finest RV Parks I have stayed at in the Baja. I had hoped to do some Kayak fishing with Mag Bay Tours, they look awesome.

If anyone can come up with an email address for Patricia at Manfred's I would appreciate that.

Iflyfish

I posted Patricia's email at the top of this page. It is npso@hotmail.com

Manfred's is now called "Misiones RV park".

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 08:38 PM

BajaGuy - that is a fantastic list you put together, thanks a lot. I am going to write to some of them about a number of issues ... recently some friends were given a hard time by the tour quide for the Cueva del Raton. they think they were overcharged and they were not handled with a smile since they were only a couple and not a group. Very unprofessional. :fire:

They are the same couple who got their tires slashed in Ensenada's Home Depot and while "being helped" got all their docs, passports, money, cameras stolen. :fire:

Les and I drove thru Constitution 3 weeks ago when returning from Copper Canyon and saw NO SIGN of cops. but a friend in La Paz got a ticket when she didnt come to a complete stop and her fine, I think, was $300. They didnt care that she idled thru ever so slowly !! But she was Ok with it - she was guilty as charged :)

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 08:57 PM

Just sent off a letter to all of these.

correspondencia@sectur.gob.mx, extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx, www.fonatur.gob.mx, turismo@gbcs.gob.mx,turismoloscabos@prodigy.net.mx
Peloncito
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 08:58 PM

Lee,

I know exactly what a throw away license is, but could it be possible that I simply didn't care (at brief moment in time) if the officer kept my real CDL allowing me to be on my way?

My two 5 year olds in the back seat started crying when they saw the two officers approaching my window, one holding an assault rifle. I am sure that can be just a tad intimidating to a child. So I think my $500 to $400 peso deal was good enough to get me and my family out of there under MY circumstances. I am sorry that I could not help the cause in the manner you obviously would have liked, but then again, my family is a much higher priority to me than worrying about $40+/-.

Just thought I would share a recent similar shakedown event so that everyone knows, nothing has changed in CC.

Sorry to insult you with my lack of beach side jewelry bargaining skills.
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 09:15 PM

Hola, thank you bajaguy for taking the time to inform us in trying to resove the C.C. problem. i hope electronic messages do work ?

i will take my time and direct complaints/inquiries very soon.

thsnk you agin,

BIEN SALUD, MRS. RAT.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 09:54 PM

The following is a response to one of my emails:

"Unfortunately it's true that moto cop number 045 has hit a couple of my friends and me too. Cost me $300 pesos on the spot. This guy tried to get one of my friends for $80 dollars but they gave him 500 pesos and said "that's it" ..then drove away . moto cop 045 did not follow them.

Lets keep focused here folks. Time to use the internet and contact people who might have some influence with this. Are you prepared to be shaken down each time YOU go through Ciudad Constitution? There is strenght in numbers.

Iflyfish
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Hola, thank you bajaguy for taking the time to inform us in trying to resove the C.C. problem. i hope electronic messages do work ?

i will take my time and direct complaints/inquiries very soon.

thsnk you agin,

BIEN SALUD, MRS. RAT.

Please let us know if there is a response and what they say

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 10:06 PM

My letter to SECTUR

"There have been a number of reports on Baja Nomads website about how police in Ciudad Constitution are stopping US Citizens and requiring a bribe from them by threatening them with a ticket if they do not pay them the "fine" on the spot. The following is an example of this:

"Unfortunately it's true that moto cop number 045 has hit a couple of my friends and me too. Cost me $300 pesos on the spot. This guy tried to get one of my friends for $80 dollars but they gave him 500 pesos and said "that's it" ..then drove away . moto cop 045 did not follow them."

You will find numerous reports here on this illegal activity by the police who are supposed to be protecting tourists!

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46302&pag...

My wife and I had planned to visit Ciudad Constitution and stay at Manfred's RV Park, one of the finest in the Baja, we also planned to eat at least three meals in town and to hire a guide to take us to Maglena Bay to watch whales. We then planned to travel further south to La Paz, Cabo and Todos Santos.

Now we will not be traveling past Guerro Negro unless this problem is resolved. I know of one caravan of motor homes that will also not be going thru Ciudad Constitution because of this problem.

Please attend to this very serious matter for the sake of your country and it's important tourism industry."
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 10:22 PM

Baja and Back

Same letter sent to Patricia, Profeco, Turismo, Los Cabos Tourism and Visitors and Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Thank you Bajaguy for posting these important contacts.

I hope all Nomads who plan to travel to and thru Ciudad Constitution will follow suit and inform these people of the impact this mordida, occuring on the MAIN HIGHWAY thru Southern Baja State, has on you and your plans to visit Mexico.

Iflyfish
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 10:50 PM

Thanks bajaguy, I copied and saved the info you posted to a file on my desktop. I hope I don't have to use it but I will if needed.

chnlisle
Banned

[*] posted on 6-28-2010 at 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Lets keep focused here folks. Time to use the internet and contact people who might have some influence with this. Are you prepared to be shaken down each time YOU go through Ciudad Constitution? There is strenght in numbers.

There is even more strength in the numbers that just stay away until somebody asks, "¿donde estan los turistas?"
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 6-28-2010 at 07:13 AM

The Gringo Gazette is always looking for a good story of gringos being ripped off!

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2010 at 07:31 AM

I think that the best thing we can do is make ourselves a pain in the ass, demand to go to the station, file complaints about being extorted, and take up as much of their time as possible. If we cease to be easy marks then the problem will go away.

[Edited on 6-28-2010 by monoloco]
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  19

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.