BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  21
Author: Subject: UPDATE -***FULL CIRCLE - CHIEF RESIDENT OPERATES ON UNCLE ALEX - The Little Girl Who Woluld Become a Brain Surgeon (Chapter 4...
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 07:13 AM

Is this Emilia? We were having pineapple margies at Pancho Villas back in October 2007.

Bob H

[Edited on 7-28-2010 by Bob H]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 08:20 AM

Have we reached our goal ??!! I feel like a mom cheering her daughter on !! I received a nice note from Emi thanking me for my donation. I understand she is leaving for Guadalajara tonight !!! If she sends me an address in Guadalajara, I will be sending her a care package as well ... :yes:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 09:44 AM
Well, well, well.....Nine days that changed Emilias life. Thanks MS (again), GT, and DT.

It took only nine days to reach the goal and Emilia is off to school today. Thank you everybody who contributed and those of you who pledged.

I would say this was a rousing success and if I were anywhere near a bottle of champagne I would raise a toast to all of you.

Fifty-one new sets of wings for Emi's army.

Salud!

Maxx.

La doctora breathes a sigh of relief and smiles for all of you in this picture

La Doctora 2.JPG - 30kB
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 09:50 AM
FANTASTIC JOB TO ALL OF US !!

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YOU DID A GREAT JOB OF THIS AKMAXX !!!

WITHOUT YOU NONE OF IT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED.

I AM GLAD TO BE A SMALL PART OF THIS SUCCESS !!!

[Edited on 7-28-2010 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 10:10 AM

Fantastic, just great.

And great job on your part for staying on top of this and making it happen!

DianaT

Sharrone
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 11:06 AM

YEA!!!
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 11:15 AM

Yeah Nomads!

Yeah Emilia!

Viva Baja!

jureal
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 11:20 AM

Way to Go!
Good luck Emilia!
Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 11:51 AM

It's amazing how little it takes to make someones life long dream come true. Awesome job everyone and Felicidades Emi.
BajaKeela
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 12:42 PM

Wonderful news.....AKMAXX.....Same time next year? Would love to hear occasional news of Emmy throughout the year. I would also like to add my thanks to all ..We done good!!!
BajaOkie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 07:13 PM

We just stopped at Pancho Villas for dinner and guess what - Emilia was still helping until she leaves later tonight. She expresses her great thanks to all that have helped her and is still somewhat overwhelmed by it.

We wished her good luck and a safe journey on her path to become a Doctor. She said her studies will be 12 years total and she is looking forward to the challenge.

We think she will do great!

Thanks to all.
Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

Mood: Baja Brained

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 08:47 PM

My Congratulations Ak. U B da Man!

Mike sent out her translated exspense forecast which you got, I believe. Looks like she'll need about 120k (pesos), maybe a little more going forward. I think we can do it. Just gonna be a long slog but maybe she'll get some Fed money or something in the years ahead.

Bet her little head is swimming. Gonna be a bit of an adjustment. Yikes.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 10:38 PM
That was a complete surprise for me

I heard gov't sponsorship for the remaining years. If I was wrong than I am man enough to shoulder the responsibility. We'll have to discuss a rational long-term plan, if needed, with the beneficiary and several c-cktails. I think better in my hammock.

See you in Oct.

Peace.
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2010 at 07:56 PM

Maxx,

Could you clarify the reference in P-BP's post about the 120k(pesos). Is that for this term or a full year? Is Emilia in danger of having to stop before she even gets started? I'm willing to go the next mile and already have this on my July 2011 calendar. If we need to rally earlier please let us know.

David
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2010 at 09:19 PM
Well David, I am glad you asked.............

I was under the impression that we covered the first years tuition and the gov't would cover the rest based on grades and practicum. However, this might not be the case.

Emilia plans on working in the hospital attached to the school but, as a few doctors have pointed out, the schooling is very intense and that may exhaust a student who tries to get the best scores while working a full time job. If anybody could pull this off it would be Emy, but we could afford her better opportunities because we are able to and because she is worth it.

So I have a plan........keep in mind that I am new to this..........I plan on contacting the over 50 people that were generous enough to get Emilia to school in the first place and have them suggest another 50, or more, friends that would like to be a part of this dream by contributing between $30-$50 a year for the next five years.

I don't know the exact numbers required as she may get gov't scholarships, or Rotary, or an angel, or ?. Some angels were far more generous than I expected and some didn't get the message because of the extremely short fund-raising time-line. Maybe I could get firm commitments from those who can afford a little more and then break the remainder up amongst those who still want to help.

I think better in my hammock and I have a couple more months to slog through my work before I can get back to my thinking spot. When I have fleshed the idea out thoroughly I will present it here and to the patrons that have already done wonders in making the first step come true with breathtaking speed.

Several emails have been sent to me expressing a desire and a commitment to taking this to completion but I didn't think anything was required after the initial stages. If it turns out, after discussions with the school, Emilia, her patrons et al, that more support is necessary I will hash out a plan to make this the success it deserves to be.

Sorry to ramble but I have a little thinking to do and like I said without my hammock I am addled.

Viva Mexico! Viva Nomads! Viva Emila!

Peace
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2010 at 09:25 PM

I thinks it is known as a pyramid.....
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2010 at 09:28 PM
Norte.......Serenity now, ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

[Edited on 7-30-2010 by akmaxx]
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 7-30-2010 at 12:42 AM

I just saw this thread tonight and was pleased to hear that the goal had been reached. I figured that a little extra wouldn't hurt. What's the worst that could happen, new pencils for the kindergartners? If anybody else was like me and unaware of this great project, don't feel like it's too late. An investment in something this important can never be too late or too small.

John
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2010 at 07:38 AM

where there's a will . . . . ya never know what's down the road for us. Just go for it. I'm willing to do this again next year.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 7-30-2010 at 07:53 AM

Glad we could help and please keep us in the loop for the long term as needs arise...

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  21

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.