mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-1-2011 at 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
If you are in a really bad car accident, would you rather be taken to an ER in USA or Mexico?

Would you rather have a paramedic/ambulance from US or Mexico respond to accident scene?

Of course I would prefer the US level of care however that means in order to be assured that care I can't travel to interesting third world areas. There is a certain level of risk that I have always been willing to take to do interesting things. The willingness to knowing take those risks has led to some of my greatest experiences in my nearly 70 years. To anyone with any small sense of adventure in their life your questions are irrelevant.

we are discussing health care. you are discussing how quaint it is to visit the villages with limited access to basic health care, safe in knowledge you can fly back home if you scrape your knee.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2011 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Collector
We submitted all our bills, after our deductible we received a check for 14,700 peso. check was here in 4 weeks. We pay $2,000 us dollars a year per person..

WOW....I guess it would have saved you money to cancel the insurance and pay the whole bill.
Home or no home, I'd be medivacing to the states and using Medicare...or something. You would still save money.

Is my math correct? Something doesn't seem right here.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 8-1-2011 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:
If you are in a really bad car accident, would you rather be taken to an ER in USA or Mexico?

Would you rather have a paramedic/ambulance from US or Mexico respond to accident scene?

Of course I would prefer the US level of care however that means in order to be assured that care I can't travel to interesting third world areas. There is a certain level of risk that I have always been willing to take to do interesting things. The willingness to knowing take those risks has led to some of my greatest experiences in my nearly 70 years. To anyone with any small sense of adventure in their life your questions are irrelevant.

we are discussing health care. you are discussing how quaint it is to visit the villages with limited access to basic health care, safe in knowledge you can fly back home if you scrape your knee.

"Quaint?" You are putting words in my mouth that I didn't use and attributing attitudes to me that I do not hold. Those are intellectually cheap tricks to use when any ideas that do not coincide with your own happen to pop up.
Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2011 at 06:47 PM

It wasn't an emergency, we are NOT old enough for Medicare. We pay $2 000 a yr for insurance, tbe cost was 5,700. Think your math is off. I'm giving you the price in dollars, not peso that we paid. A friend had 1 stint put in Nov. was in San Diego cost $102,000.000
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-1-2011 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Collector
It wasn't an emergency, we are NOT old enough for Medicare. We pay $2 000 a yr for insurance, tbe cost was 5,700. Think your math is off. I'm giving you the price in dollars, not peso that we paid. A friend had 1 stint put in Nov. was in San Diego cost $102,000.000

Confused, but hope it is a typo:

You said this above:

"The total cost for two stints came to $15,700.00 US dollar."

Was it 15,700 dollars or not?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2011 at 07:08 PM

David your right, I hit the wrong button.. I reread what I wrote.
$5,700 per stint
He had two stints $11,400

We are still to young for Medicare, we have no insurance in the US.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 8-1-2011 at 07:16 PM

The idea, expressed often in certain circles, and in this thread, that U.S. medical personnel only cares about the insurance (i.e. money) is not just inaccurate, it is insulting and disgusting. I have traveled all over the world, lived half my life in Europe, and can say for absolute certain, that the care one receives here is second to none and superior to almost all.

I hope you don't end up in a hospital in dire straits, but if you do, watch the nurses, support staff, doctors, etc., and then see if you can say they only care about money.

I don't have a problem with folks believing in socialized medicine, but having lived in more than one country where it was the normal fare, I can say this - it's often the OBSTACLE that prevents caring people from doing their best. But I can also tell you this, socialized medicine, while available to all, does not mean that all are treated equally.

I have a few friends I grew up with who received their degree in Italy. During, before and after their studies, ever single one of these aspiring doctors wanted nothing more than to come and study, intern, or practice guess where - the United States of America. Support there MIGHT be a reason for this?

[Edited on 8-2-2011 by Roberto]
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 12:33 AM

Hola, I have wi-fi tonight!

Lost 30 lbs., not self-medicating, have an internal medicine MD in Calif., and a Mexican MD.
Amitriptylene is a superb adjunt to pain medications because one primary function of pain is that it gets us upset that it exists. Opiates tend to dull the perception of pain. I just finished a week minus the tramadol without any withdrawal symptoms.

A lab just finished a blood panel and urine analysis last week and although my creatitine level is rather high it isn't high enough to worry about yet. All COX-3 inhibiting NSAIDS exhibit similar nasty habits, but those countries that pulled Nimesulide from their allowed formularies did it principally because of cardiac issues. Merck pulled Vioxx from the market voluntarily while Glaxo Smith Kline keeps pumping out Celebrex even though sampling indicates similar effects. I have been taking Nimesulide for twenty one years now, and I'll let you know when I croak from it :-)
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 06:39 AM

David, the Internet is full of articles documenting hepatic failure due to nimesulide. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimesulide that's one. That is the major reason for banning of the drug. It was never even submitted in the US. There is some documented trouble with heart patients but that is NOT the main reason for it's banning. You seem to just brush it off as if it were any other NSAID, but that is not the case. Do some more research you stubborn pedo viejo.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.