Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  9
Author: Subject: QUESTION ABOUT TIRES
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 01:20 PM

My 04 GMC Z71 came with P265/75R16 tires. I put LT285/75R16 tires on it and gave the P tires to a friend. He has a 91 GMC 1500 4x4 that had LT245/75R16 on it. When he went to get the P tires I gave him put on the shop would not do it. Said they were not safe for his truck and he needed LT tires. He went to another shop his dad was friends with and they put them on. He still has them on today, but he could use a new set soon.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I have had two new 4x4 vehicles that came with P-rated tires----------------of the 8 total tires, 4 self destructed all with less than 18K miles, and one with less than 5K miles.

On all my 4x4's (3) I have had BFG AT KO's LT's after getting rid of the P-rated tires, and never had any problems since.

It's all in our personal experience, that's for sure. :lol:

Barry

Gee, you must be a mad man out there ..... hope you weren't that hard on Government vehicle's... :biggrin::biggrin:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I have had two new 4x4 vehicles that came with P-rated tires----------------of the 8 total tires, 4 self destructed all with less than 18K miles, and one with less than 5K miles.

On all my 4x4's (3) I have had BFG AT KO's LT's after getting rid of the P-rated tires, and never had any problems since.

It's all in our personal experience, that's for sure. :lol:

Barry

Gee, you must be a mad man out there ..... hope you weren't that hard on Government vehicle's... :biggrin::biggrin:

LOL-----You know , I really am not an aggressive driver. I drive slowly, but do go into some pretty knarly places, but not extreme like Ken Cooke does. I am kinda a "tire nut" and have had a LOT of experience with off-road tires with my assignment in the desert and a fleet of off-road Ranger trucks to manage. Tho the P-rated tires do really well in the sand (due to flexibility), our experience is that they simply will not hold up against rocks and wooden-plant staubs (not that we drove over "plants") :rolleyes:------lots of sidewall punctures, and even tire-face failures due to rock damage, staub damage, and my personal vehicles have had the same problems. We (and me) found that the LT tires held up much better, even on light duty vehicles with not a lot of weight. They definitely do better on the moderately heavy-load vehicles. Very little experience with trailer hauling, or really heavy loads, so really can't address that aspect. I use "E" (3400 @ 70 lbs) rated tires now on my two heavy vehicles, and "C" rated (2000 lbs @ 50 lbs) tires on my Isuzu Trooper, fully inflated when on the highway, but always air way down when in the dirt with all my vehicles.

Just my experience------everybody is different, it seems.

Barry
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Ken, as I said above, the P rated tire is what the Off Road Tacoma comes with... That is 3 trucks for me so far. The BFG Rugged Trails only last 30,000 miles and I replaced mine at 20,000. As you said, the LT tires are heavier, harder riding, and more expensive... so why wouldn't I get a P tire?

:lol: I feel ripped off, then! I want a 35" tire with strong sidewalls in a P-rating!! :light:

[Edited on 1-12-2012 by Ken Cooke]

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2012 at 02:53 PM

Well just an update on what I just did

after shopping all over Yuma, I ended up at Discount Tire

I bought the Falken , Rocky mountain tire

LT265/70R 16 D,, it also has 3 ply side walls

they gave me credit for my BFGs out the door with the warranty
$743.45

[Edited on 1-14-2012 by desertcpl]

Falkner.jpg - 47kB
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-14-2012 at 03:42 PM

Thanks Berry ... figured ya might have some "in field" experience over the years...

And looks like ya got some real "meat" on you new ones.. let's us know .... what ya think ....

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 11:48 AM

I put new tires on my 04 Tacoma last week along with two spares to go and yesterday I went to mount the new spare under the truck and found the spare tire brackets were too small. The original tires were P265/70R16 a 31 inch tire. I bought LT265/75R16 a 32 inch tire. So I had to disconnect the brackets and cut and re-weld them for the new tire to fit. I find it interesting that Toyota would design the spare tire area only for a 31 inch tire or smaller on a 4x4 truck. I went from 265 to 285 on my GMC and had no problem fitting the bigger tire into the spare area.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 04:28 PM

I just did a search on Tacoma World for 'biggest spare'... and more than one said they could fit a 265/75-16 or a 265/70-17 (both 32") in the carrier. However, you obviously tried it...?

Well, the 31" tire is the biggest offered by Toyota, so at least the spare carrier fits a full size spare and not a phony tire. I also put on 32" new tires, but only 4 and not the spare... which is brand new. I have had 3 flats so far, and all of them I could fix with a plug kit until I got the tire patched at a llantera.

What is your next Baja trip TW? President's Day... El Comandante Loco walk across Baja?

[Edited on 1-15-2012 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 06:39 PM

DK you are OK with the smaller 31 inch tire for a spare since your differentials are open except when you lock the rear in 4x4 low. My rear is a positraction locker so I wanted a 32 as a spare plus I carry another spare in the bed. You can put a 32 into the original area it is just not totally in place.

I was going to do the walk with El Comandante Loco on President weekend as I thought it had been planned but I see he is doing the canyon walk instead. My next trip will be the San Felipe 250 in march and help Tunaeater who said he is racing it. I have been exploring the Death Valley area and have a few runs to make over there.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 09:09 PM

I have keep out of this discussion because of all the varied opinions, but can't resist any longer. I have been a member (Chair Emeritus) of the Desert Explorers 4WD group for over three decades (100 Members - www.DesertExplorers.org) and most run the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO or the BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM LT tires.

Our collective experience show that P rated tires do not hold up under moderately severe conditions.
Neal Johns

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 10:07 PM

This Goodyear MTR blew out on the dirt road to "Shipwrecks" near Camalu. It was an LT265r16 with super-strong sidewalls, etc. Dan wasn't pushing his Ford Explorer and he still had this tire problem in Baja. Just an F.Y.I.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 10:09 PM
GREAT TIRE!

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Well just an update on what I just did

after shopping all over Yuma, I ended up at Discount Tire

I bought the Falken , Rocky mountain tire

LT265/70R 16 D,, it also has 3 ply side walls

they gave me credit for my BFGs out the door with the warranty
$743.45

[Edited on 1-14-2012 by desertcpl]

Team Falken is actually going to race this exact tire in the 2012 KING OF THE HAMMERS in Johnson Valley - I am eager to see how well they do.

The tire is heavier than most All-Terrain tires of its' same dimensions. I can't wait to hear how you feel about these new tires.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 11:18 PM

Ken----------I know that you know ---------what happened to that Goodyear tire can happen to ANY tire under the certain circumstances that would puncture/damage ANY tire. You buy the best tire you can, drive carefully (or not) and you takes your chances----------

It is what it is. :light: :o :yes:

Having said that, this new Falkin tire looks and sounds like it may be a good one------I do hope to read reports from those that have them in the future.

Barry
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2012 at 09:26 AM

havnt had a chance yet to get off road with them

but just driving on the Highway they have a really good feel to them, no noise, the installer at Discount did say to me that they are a much heaver tire than my BFGs
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2012 at 09:37 AM

I will be interested in hearing how they do in sand... where I do the majority of my off roading. The Hankook Dynapros are a dream tire in the sand... but they are P rated and only 2 ply sidewalls, so don't require a lot of deflating to float my truck (18 psi works well). I did study the Falkens and they 'appeared' to have too sharp a shoulder for good sand characteristics... You being in Arizona and near the dunes, I will look forward to your review! Thank you!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2012 at 09:51 AM

DK

I really dont do the Dunes out here, just way to soft for most vehicles. but we have other areas with sand and rocks that I will try
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2012 at 10:04 AM

Sure, the softer the sand, the more challanging!

Maybe arroyo sand... unless you get down to Shell Island for the bottomless sand/shell beach!?

Thanks!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2012 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
I will be interested in hearing how they do in sand... where I do the majority of my off roading.

There is some chatter at Tacomaworld.com:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/product-reviews/123230-new-...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2012 at 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
I will be interested in hearing how they do in sand... where I do the majority of my off roading.

There is some chatter at Tacomaworld.com:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/product-reviews/123230-new-...

Yes, and if you scroll down you will see I replied in that thread.

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2012 at 10:51 AM

very nice review, glad now I have them on my truck,

as you know we dont have alot of mud here in the southwest, not like some parts of the counrty, but if I was in mud country I would be looking at a mud tire
but they did pretty well for mud
so for my application here in the desert southwest, they are looking good, and great price also
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.