Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  42
Author: Subject: What Is West Baja walk
Retireded
Nomad

Mood: Wishin' I was Fishin', Oh, I am!

[*] posted on 2-7-2013 at 05:36 PM

Last night, I told my landlord and his wife about meeting these guys. My landlord just came home from shopping with his wife and came to my door to tell me in excited tones that they had just seen Bryan and Justin in El Sauzal and stopped to talk for a minute. I told them last night that they were easy to spot, both with backpacks and one carrying a surfboard. These guys have walked a long way since we saw them yesterday afternoon. No wonder they are getting blisters. I'm wishing them the best of luck, and hope they have a very pleasant adventure. It seems to be starting that way.
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2013 at 05:57 PM

Blisters? Tenderfoots!
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2013 at 06:19 PM

Those feet will harden up. Dip them in the Pacific. Just not by a sewage plant.

vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2013 at 08:22 PM

Maybe they have new shoes that are not yet broken in. That will do it too.
Retireded
Nomad

Mood: Wishin' I was Fishin', Oh, I am!

[*] posted on 2-7-2013 at 08:27 PM

They will either break in the boots or the feet. Hope they dont suffer too much in the process.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2013 at 09:00 PM

Like I mentioned earlier, the risk of infection is serious. Blisters are wide open wounds and infect easily. They could also bring this journey to an early end or a timeout may be called for. If that were the case, they're still close enough to the starting line to begin again. Nothing will be lost and Baja will continue to be a learning process.

[Edited on 2-8-2013 by DENNIS]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 2-7-2013 at 09:25 PM
Begin the Beguine...

Blisters aren't fatal, and a few days rest would clear up any blister...I don't think anyone expects these boys to walk non-stop. A day or two rest in between their days of trekking would be warranted for anyone, including a hot shower and a good night sleep, and clean clothes. This would be addressing personal hygiene and health that would be mandatory for anyone taking such a long walk. As a physician and a concerned adult, if anyone presented with any type of physical problem I would expect others to understand and allow them to recuperate and move on...not give up...that's absurd!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Like I mentioned earlier, the risk of infection is serious. Blisters are wide open wounds and infect easily. They could also bring this journey to an early end or a timeout may be called for. If that were the case, they're still close enough to the starting line to begin again. Nothing will be lost and Baja will continue to be a learning process.

[Edited on 2-8-2013 by DENNIS]
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 2-7-2013 at 09:34 PM

I think they will be fine. These guys have been traveling to Baja for years, they love roughing it and have pretty much gone feral staying out at Isla Natividad. (They shared some awesome stories with me yesterday!) A few blisters aren't going to stop them...and they have medical supplies to offset the risk of infection. I am most likely heading down Saturday to meet up and make a peanut butter delivery!

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 2-7-2013 at 09:45 PM

Looks like they had some new boots on when I looked at the pics that needed to be broken in.
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
I think they will be fine. These guys have been traveling to Baja for years, they love roughing it and have pretty much gone feral staying out at Isla Natividad. (They shared some awesome stories with me yesterday!) A few blisters aren't going to stop them...and they have medical supplies to offset the risk of infection. I am most likely heading down Saturday to meet up and make a peanut butter delivery!
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 10:22 AM

They made some good progress yesterday...blisters and all!

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 11:20 AM

Iflyfish....I finally got the scoop on the desal unit they have. It is made by a company called Katadyn. I don't know exactly what model they have, but it is similar to this one:

The company website is http://www.katadyn.com

[Edited on 2-8-2013 by BajaGeoff]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Iflyfish....I finally got the scoop on the desal unit they have. It is made by a company called Katadyn. I don't know exactly what model they have, but it is similar to this one:

The company website is http://www.katadyn.com

I think that's the 4000 dollar, 12 volt model. They make a manual model for about half that price.
These seem a bit large to be lugging around. I hope they didn't settle on one of the small purifiers. I don't think that'll work for de-sal.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 02:07 PM

I'll find out which one they have tomorrow Dennis.

And if this rain keeps up, they are going to have to change the name of the expedition from What Is West to What Is Wet!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
I'll find out which one they have tomorrow Dennis.

And if this rain keeps up, they are going to have to change the name of the expedition from What Is West to What Is Wet!

Where is all the rain, Geoff? We had a very little out here before sunrise, but nothing since.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 03:00 PM

Raining off and on up here in Oceanside, Vista and San Marcos today... real strong downpours for a few minutes, then sunshine.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Raining off and on up here in Oceanside, Vista and San Marcos today... real strong downpours for a few minutes, then sunshine.

They were calling for strong winds as well. Did that happen yet?
Maybe it's all on the way down here.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 03:05 PM

Yes... real strong wind across Hwy. 78 when I went to have lunch with Baja Angel today (about 11:45am)... and the flags were horizontal. But, not for long. I am back home in Oceanside, 5 miles from the coast, and no strong winds... sky all clouded up, but not raining as I type this.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 03:42 PM

I think the rain is about ready to begin here. Wind is tolerable at 15-MPH.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 07:16 PM

I got the scoop on the desal unit. You were right Dennis....they are using one of the smaller units...the Katadyn Survivor 35:

[Edited on 2-9-2013 by BajaGeoff]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 07:19 PM

I asked Graham about what he's doing about water, and he has one of those (or like it) but it takes an hour of pumping just to get a gallon. So, he is bringing water and has his still, like from the 1980's walk.

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  42

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.