Author: Subject: Bad news for El Triunfo
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 07:28 AM
To OXXO or not to OXXO

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
New Oxxo and Pemex in Bahia Asuncion yet? I think Shari said the locals would like it?! I try to avoid ours in Pescadero and buy from the small local stores. Nice people-real people; the kids help me load those garafones/5 gal water bottles. Nice touch! Tio

I dont recall saying the locals would like it...but my take on if Asuncion's new gas station has an Oxxo in it is that people will certainly go there...especially if they are getting gas....just like I go to Miramar if I am at the old gas pump...cause it's close!!!
Locals here go to whatever store is closest....and I'm talking withing 100 meters....which is why there are alot of Ma & Pa stores in every barrio... or people will go to a store that has the cheapest or coldest beer or fresher veggies. The area of the new Pemex has nothing right there and several houses and a new restuarant/bar have been built around it. My point is people look for both convenience & the products they want.

I wanna tell you a little story,..last week I took the bus up to Ensenada and I usually grab a taco at the taqueria next to the bus depot when we stop in El Rosario....but it was closed...BUT there was THIS....

a brand new OXXO and I thought of this thread....well I'm not a fan of chain stores in any way...but I wanted a beer so I went in. I bought a lovely sandwich on linaza grain bread!!!! but couldnt believe they had no beer so I had to go a half block to a little tienda to get one. In the Oxxo, they were training the staff and the girls were all from El Rosario and very stoked about thier new job!

If an Oxxo were to open here, I'm pretty sure they would be hiring local people...women who really need work...and it will be like any other local store where we exchange pleasantries and ask about each other's families. People in the hood and those getting gas will go there..I will certainly grab a coffee now and again.

I highly doubt there will be a boycott or any protesting going on and most likely the palomilla will like the new stuff it has, clean bathrooms and uptown feeling.

I remember when the Modelorama came in and put up it's big flashy brightly lit sign....it just looked so out of place as do the new Pemex signs...luckily it's sort of on the outskirts of town (sorry to you peeps who have places near it).

I do certainly agree that a place like Triunfo should have bylaws protecting the integrity of the place...like San Jose de Comondu has...so stores must "fit in" aesthetically.

While I feel bad for our pal Hilario, the owner of the gas pump in town as he will most likely be out of business when the new Pemex opens....most people here agree that it will be fantastic to have a Pemex here...cheaper gas and a station that is open most of the time! progress....

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 07:39 AM

I find this whole topic terribly amusing as I watch people who were only going to buy a cold beer or a hot coffee decide what each community needs or does not need. I can remember the same thing happening in Steamboat Springs when they fought the Wal-Mart coming in. But guess what, the business became a smashing success and all those fair minded protesters ended up buying things from the store they hated so much in the development stages.
This is pretty much the same deal. It will either be a success or a failure depending on the people who buy there and how well the staff runs it. If you like it go there, if you don't then don't buy things.

But it sure makes good afternoon c-cktail discussion.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
New Oxxo and Pemex in Bahia Asuncion yet? I think Shari said the locals would like it?! I try to avoid ours in Pescadero and buy from the small local stores. Nice people-real people; the kids help me load those garafones/5 gal water bottles. Nice touch! Tio

I dont recall saying the locals would like it...but my take on if Asuncion's new gas station has an Oxxo in it is that people will certainly go there...especially if they are getting gas....just like I go to Miramar if I am at the old gas pump...cause it's close!!!
Locals here go to whatever store is closest....and I'm talking withing 100 meters....which is why there are alot of Ma & Pa stores in every barrio... or people will go to a store that has the cheapest or coldest beer or fresher veggies. The area of the new Pemex has nothing right there and several houses and a new restuarant/bar have been built around it. My point is people look for both convenience & the products they want.

I wanna tell you a little story,..last week I took the bus up to Ensenada and I usually grab a taco at the taqueria next to the bus depot when we stop in El Rosario....but it was closed...BUT there was THIS....

a brand new OXXO and I thought of this thread....well I'm not a fan of chain stores in any way...but I wanted a beer so I went in. I bought a lovely sandwich on linaza grain bread!!!! but couldnt believe they had no beer so I had to go a half block to a little tienda to get one. In the Oxxo, they were training the staff and the girls were all from El Rosario and very stoked about thier new job!

If an Oxxo were to open here, I'm pretty sure they would be hiring local people...women who really need work...and it will be like any other local store where we exchange pleasantries and ask about each other's families. People in the hood and those getting gas will go there..I will certainly grab a coffee now and again.

I highly doubt there will be a boycott or any protesting going on and most likely the palomilla will like the new stuff it has, clean bathrooms and uptown feeling.

I remember when the Modelorama came in and put up it's big flashy brightly lit sign....it just looked so out of place as do the new Pemex signs...luckily it's sort of on the outskirts of town (sorry to you peeps who have places near it).

I do certainly agree that a place like Triunfo should have bylaws protecting the integrity of the place...like San Jose de Comondu has...so stores must "fit in" aesthetically.

While I feel bad for our pal Hilario, the owner of the gas pump in town as he will most likely be out of business when the new Pemex opens....most people here agree that it will be fantastic to have a Pemex here...cheaper gas and a station that is open most of the time! progress....
were you on ricea when you took that?? everythings in neon, even the car! how do you do that?:?:
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 09:42 AM

I couldn't care less if they put 600 Oxxos here. The new gasolinera is not getting an ATM machine (too far out of the way to maintain). After driving 253 miles yesterday to go get money and not finding 6 out of 7 medications, four for my heart, I guess I am a little crabby today. The ATM in the BanaMex in Guerrero Negro worked perfectly. The last time I tried the pseudo BanComer in Vizcaino, four gringos ahead of me walked away shaking their head. Two machines, four ATM cards, patooie. If still like the "Su Saldo $00.00" the best. It does not have the ring of "Contacto Su Banco".

I also love the price of TERAZOSINA 800 pesos for 30 tablets. Check the price for the flagship brand of terazosin at a Rexall or Wallgreens in the states. Full retail price for the flagship patented brand. Anyone who moves here and depends on medication is, well let me put it this way "An Optimist". Need cash? Good luck with an ATM card.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Pretty far out eh Willardguy....it's a photo tweak on Picasa photo editing...I love it! psychedelic Oxxo
here is another one of the ships in Ensenada harbour & my sushi

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I find this whole topic terribly amusing .....But it sure makes good afternoon c-cktail discussion.

:biggrin::biggrin:

Yeah, too bad that the "afternoon" starts at 8:30 A.M. for some :biggrin::biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I find this whole topic terribly amusing .....But it sure makes good afternoon c-cktail discussion.

:biggrin::biggrin:

Yeah, too bad that the "afternoon" starts at 8:30 A.M. for some :biggrin::biggrin:

And you can tell that by the quality of the posts:biggrin::barf:

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 03:34 PM

And you can tell that by the quality of the posts:biggrin::barf:

Waddaya mean c-cktails? How does a person inhale a c-cktail and hold it? Oh I get it; a shot glass with a built-in roach clip:biggrin:

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 11-15-2013 at 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by laventana
Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
It all depends where they're going to put it. I don't know about El Triunfo, but in Todos Santos, there are zoning regulations requiring that anything built in the downtown historical district has to comply with architectural guidelines to maintain the character of the town, which IMHO is a good thing, so it would actually be a case of Mexicans telling Mexicans what should be happening.

This is true in Durango, Mexico, in the old town of Durango all buildings must meet that areas period old look. and the McDonalds there is absolutely stunning, no external lighted signage. (can not remeber but maybe no sign outside what so ever.) It is built to fit in the theme and boy did they meet that criteria. Probably the nicest looking McDonalds I have ever seen and inside, i have seen some (very few) nice ones in the US. Puts the new modern looking ones to shame. So zoning does work if they have it.

LaVentana, not far from El Triunfo is also getting our OXXO as we speak, they broke ground a month ago. I am not sure they can survive in our town. Two years ago another similar theme opened several hundred yards down the street and failed almost immediately. Well they were not a chain and not organized. This will be the difference if OXXO succeeds here. Plus it will be interesting to see where OXXO can find employees to work for LaPaz wages. Our local wages are 2-3 times higher than LaPaz.

Update,,,, our OXXO is to open tomorrow. They had some delays due to our hurricane issues and some unusual rains, but man were they quick. Locals still say they will not shop there.

We have a very large off road bicycle competition here tomorrow I am sure the out of town people will be happy with the timing.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-15-2013 at 06:27 AM

My Terazosin cost me 8.00 us for 6 months supply.....

Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.