Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: "The" Baja
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 07:07 AM

Baja Border

Baja Border is what I call that special place where Baja California meets the border of the State of California. Obviously the zone begins with the border of the U.S. but it has no real geopolitical line or name or mark on a map that explains its Southern limit.

If you saw the movie classic “Last of the Mohicans” you were treated to splendid but very rugged scenery carefully chosen as movie set sites in Upstate New York. If I had left out the word Upstate, you’d be faced with the challenge of dreaming up a visual image of savages in Brooklyn or Manhattan. It is for this stark distinction that some New Yorkers say “There’s New York City, then there’s everything else (in New York State).” When the movie was filmed, the sites were chosen because that’s where the Mohican Indians lived and, more importantly, it remains unspoiled, untrammeled, untamed and unpeopled to this day.

The two Baja California states are like that; there is Tijuana, Tecate, Ensenada, then there’s everything else. New York City and Tijuana have all the people pleasures you could want – even today you’ve got to really want to travel, have a sense of adventure, of falling off the map when you leave those huge cities to discover and enjoy everything else country. A trip to the Baja Border is to experience the great hub of commerce and the people who make it all run – a trip to Egypt is a trip to The Nile River, not to the great barren desert beyond. The river defines the country.

I don’t know how it happened but from my very first visit to the Baja Border in 1953 my expectations went unsatisfied and when I could travel further south in the 60’s and 70s, the border became, to me, flyover country. I couldn’t wait to see what was around the next cove or mountain as I seemed to be driven to find and enjoy Baja’s outback. Over the next few decades I was drawn to those few destinations which gave me solitude and the challenges that entails.

It’s no wonder I retired to a tiny little fishing village almost 800 miles south of the Baja Border. The stark separations come home to me daily as I read a popular chat forum. Almost 8,000 regular members fill the board with up to the minute info about Baja Border fiestas, new restaurants, economic stimulus ideas, off-road racing schedules, etc. that remind me just how far I fled to find another kind of life. I can almost see an old man like me on a well-hidden lake in the Adirondacks pulling up a Manhattan chat group on the internet to read the latest Broadway play reviews, Wall Street mergers and thoughts about a new New York Yankees manager.

Perhaps even clearer when they post shots of the New World Towers and all I have to offer is an early morning shot of a fawn eating from my hand, sunrise over the lake as a simple, but fitting, backdrop.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 09:18 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of The Last of the Mohicans. It's one of the most beautiful films ever made of the American Landscape and no other of the eastern part of the country comes even close. There were many great scenes but the one that stays in my mind was their search up a gently sloped granite with water flowing down it's surface. Filmed at first through the leaves, then downwards at the men and then from the level of their feet.

There places in Yosemite like that, but without the woods. New England is very special.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
There places in Yosemite like that, but without the woods. New England is very special.

New England in the Fall can't be described with mere words. One must be standing on a country hillside looking across an expanse to fully appreciate it.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
New York City and Tijuana have all the people pleasures you could want –

Ron Bacardí even put up a large billboard advertisement with a picture of The Statue of Liberty along the border fence road to hawk their product while at the same time, mock the immigration policies of the US.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Baja Border...If you saw the movie classic “Last of the Mohicans” you were treated to splendid but very rugged scenery carefully chosen as movie set sites in Upstate New York. ...

Strange, if you're referring to the movie with D.D. Lewis. I thought all 23 locations for this production were in North Carolina. I believe the earlier version was filmed in California...so where does the "Upstate New York" come in?

But, what do I know?

Allen R
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 12:16 PM

Bufeo, we're both right: "Filmed in Upstate New York with many scenes shot in N. Carolina".

Guess you might want me to change my analogy to "There's Charlotte, then there's Everything Else."

[Edited on 11-22-2013 by Osprey]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 04:53 PM

The section I liked was 'The River Walk' which is a 2 mile stretch of the Little River in North Carolina. I found this to be more impressive than the images of Chimney Top at the conclusion of the film.

http://www.mohicanpress.com/mo06057.html

Apparently there are many who admire this film. It works on many levels.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 06:00 PM

Greetings from the France, The Germany, The Turkey. The Ukraine, The Italy......
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 06:05 PM

Geez....you on EuroRail:?: :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Greetings from the France, The Germany, The Turkey. The Ukraine, The Italy......

I hope you don't say 'The Switzerland'... because it is better known as the place where CH sticker is on the cars, standing for Confoederatio Helvetica or as we say in English: The Swiss Confederation (or The Confederation of Helvecia)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 06:51 PM

Helvetica.....a so the Swiss designed that font.....eh?! ;D

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2013 at 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged

Yup, even the word 'Swiss' is what English speakers hear... Sort of like how do we get "Germany" from the country's name: Deutschland ???

Here is what Wiki says about it (Switzerland or 'CH'):

The English name Switzerland is a compound containing Switzer, an obsolete term for the Swiss, which was in use during the 16th to 19th centuries. The English adjective Swiss is a loan from French Suisse, also in use since the 16th century. The name Switzer is from the Alemannic Schwiizer, in origin an inhabitant of Schwyz and its associated territory, one of the Waldstätten cantons which formed the nucleus of the Old Swiss Confederacy. The name originates as an exonym, applied pars pro toto to the troops of the Confederacy. The Swiss themselves began to adopt the name for themselves after the Swabian War of 1499, used alongside the term for "Confederates", Eidgenossen, used since the 14th century.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2013 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Yup, even the word 'Swiss' is what English speakers hear... Sort of like how do we get "Germany" from the country's name: Deutschland ???

Here is what Wiki says about it (Switzerland or 'CH'):

The English name Switzerland is a compound containing Switzer, an obsolete term for the Swiss, which was in use during the 16th to 19th centuries. The English adjective Swiss is a loan from French Suisse, also in use since the 16th century. The name Switzer is from the Alemannic Schwiizer, in origin an inhabitant of Schwyz and its associated territory, one of the Waldstätten cantons which formed the nucleus of the Old Swiss Confederacy. The name originates as an exonym, applied pars pro toto to the troops of the Confederacy. The Swiss themselves began to adopt the name for themselves after the Swabian War of 1499, used alongside the term for "Confederates", Eidgenossen, used since the 14th century.

Huh??????????????????????????????????????????????:?:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2013 at 02:08 PM

What's your question?

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2013 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Geez....you on EuroRail:?: :biggrin:

Not meaning to brag, but for a number of reasons, I have visited those countries, as well as the Syria, the Lebanon, the Greece, the Croatia, the Bulgaria. I could go on and on.

The original post touched on the fact that folks fall into bad habits when speaking of places, especially if they have not visited the countries they refer to.

In my opinion, Baja and Ukraine are probably the places that are most misidentified.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.