Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  8
Author: Subject: DENNIS Update
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-17-2013 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
I'm glad to read that Dennis and Lulu are in good hands.
Heal quickly Dennis.

P>*)))>{

I certainly echo that!!!! Hurry back, Dennis.

Barry
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 05:56 AM

1. Introduction

Stroke and osteoporotic hip fracture (HF) are two highly prevalent conditions among the elderly, both with poor clinical outcomes and high medical and social costs. Worldwide the prevalence of these events is expected to increase dramatically because of rapid population ageing. Osteoporosis and low-impact trauma are the main determinants of HF in the elderly. Stroke increases the risk of falls [1–5] as a result of impaired locomotor function and muscle weakness [6, 7], accelerates bone loss (especially in the hemiplegic leg) [8–26], and subsequently leads to fractures [4, 27–29]. Although accumulating evidence suggests bidirectional links between vascular diseases, including stroke, and osteoporotic fractures [9–11, 30–35], there is still considerable uncertainty regarding the contribution of stroke to osteoporotic HF.

The incidence of HF after a stroke was reported to be 1.5–4 times [27, 29, 36, 37] or even >7 times [28] higher than in the general population, but this was not observed in other studies [38–40]. Similarly, the reported prevalence of previous stroke among patients with HF ranges from 3% to 38.5% [4, 41–43].

Data concerning clinical characteristics, outcomes, prediction, and prevention of poststroke HF are also inconsistent [3, 35, 41, 44, 45]. Most previous studies have examined only a small number of the many clinical and pathogenic factors involved in stroke and HF. The exact aetiology and pathogenesis of poststroke osteoporosis remain not fully understood. Studies have generally focused on bone mineral density (BMD) and documented accelerated bone loss, especially in paretic limbs [10, 12–14, 22], with only few analysing mineral and bone metabolism in poststroke patients [15, 21, 46, 47]. Fracture prevention and osteoporosis care are not included in current guidelines for stroke management.

The aims of this study were (1) to investigate the prevalence of poststroke HF, (2) to compare in HF patients with and without a previous stroke the demographic, clinical, and laboratory characteristics and short-term outcomes, (3) to test in both groups the associations of parameters related to mineral and bone metabolism, and (4) to determine whether any clinical or laboratory characteristics are indicative/predictive for a poststroke HF.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/srt/2013/641943/
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 07:00 AM

Hip Hip Hooray!!! I knew that shaking my pom poms would do some good...big D..you KNOW I am your lead cheerleader...and dont worry, lots of us have impaired locomotors around here!!!

Gracias Doug for today's great news!

Give me a D...Give me an I...NN...I..S GET WELL fast Dennis!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 07:22 AM
EnsenadaDr.

It is a good thing statistics are created to be proved incorrect in many, many cases. It is a bit like reading all the warning material for every pill one takes; it scares the heck out of one.

I guess because of my age, I don't consider Dennis elderly. Now when my ex-mother-in-law fell and broke her hip at 95, that I consider elderly.

I have a close relative who is a bit over 70 and has had BOTH hips replaced in the last few years and is still riding her quad. Her significant other is over 80 and in the last few years had both knees replaced, and he is also out there. Very different scenarios, but staying positive certainly helped.

While it is easy to find all the possible negative outcomes, for Dennis, I prefer, as I am sure you do, to keep the positive thoughts and believe that Dennis is tougher than those statistics --- stroke, fracture and all. He will be back to take care of Lulu.

On the other hand, it is always interesting to read different studies and statistics. Thank you.

[Edited on 12-18-2013 by DianaT]
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 09:19 AM
Liza Minnelli Has Had Two Hip Replacement Surgeries

And knee replacement, as well.

From The Gale Encyclopedia of Biography: "Throughout the 1990s Minnelli continued to appear on stage and screen. Minnelli filled in for Julie Andrews in the 1997 revival of musical Victor/Victoria, as well as appearing in many television specials including Broadway revival The West Side Waltz.

In 1999, Minnelli developed a one-woman Broadway tribute to her father, Minnelli on Minnelli, a great success. Otherwise, however, during the late 1990s, Minnelli was primarily out of the limelight battling health problems.

In 1997, Minnelli had hip replacement surgery; she would undergo the surgery again in 2001. She additionally had a knee replacement and a dangerous bout with viral encephalitis in 2000..in 2003, Minnelli began a recurring guest role on critically acclaimed comedy series Arrested Development, her most public role in several years.

In December 2005, Minnelli filmed an episode of the respected television show Inside the Actor's Studio. Nearly [70] years old - and with no signs of giving up performing - Minnelli seems assured a place in entertainment history far beyond that of being simply Judy Garland's daughter."

So, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

And, there are role models and then there are ROLE MODELS!

Stay positive and get well. :spingrin: :yes:

[Edited on 12-18-2013 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 09:33 AM
Not his type

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Hurry up and get out of there Dennis....there are rumors of a collection fund from Nomads to get RuPaul impersonator to come sing for you:biggrin:

...but Lulu might like him

Bob Durrell
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 09:36 AM

Great post expressing uplifted spirits Diana.

My friend and nurseryman Hardy just had a double hip replacement four weeks ago. From bed to a cane at this point. He says the cane goes in a few weeks.

The worst change in his life from all this? He sold his manual stick transmission truck and bought a new automatic transmission truck!

He is back at the nursery part time......last week!

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
It is a good thing statistics are created to be proved incorrect in many, many cases. It is a bit like reading all the warning material for every pill one takes; it scares the heck out of one.

I guess because of my age, I don't consider Dennis elderly. Now when my ex-mother-in-law fell and broke her hip at 95, that I consider elderly.

I have a close relative who is a bit over 70 and has had BOTH hips replaced in the last few years and is still riding her quad. Her significant other is over 80 and in the last few years had both knees replaced, and he is also out there. Very different scenarios, but staying positive certainly helped.

While it is easy to find all the possible negative outcomes, for Dennis, I prefer, as I am sure you do, to keep the positive thoughts and believe that Dennis is tougher than those statistics --- stroke, fracture and all. He will be back to take care of Lulu.

On the other hand, it is always interesting to read different studies and statistics. Thank you.

[Edited on 12-18-2013 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 10:10 AM

Diana,

I don't think you understood my motivation for posting the article. It was not written to prove negative outcome for a Hip replacement in the Elderly, it was written to understand why post stroke patients have more of a chance to break their hip. Have a wonderful day!!
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 12:48 PM
THAT's Considered GOOD ?

Says VGA ?

"........The N I H says less than a third of hip fracture patients ultimately die of the injury or surgery...."

OF COURSE, [Most] would hope that Dennis beats the odds and fully recovers.

AND, that's what I said.

Wasn't it ?

Personal history involving those I've known indicates that it's a challenge, but people beat statistics all the time.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 05:10 PM

Like it or not, if you are over 55 you are considered a senior citizen, according to the AARP. If anyone out there wants to say they are a spring chicken at 70, that's their prerogative. I do believe the 70 is the new 50. And you are as young as you feel. However, if you have had a stroke, please stay away from alcohol. Your equilibrium is messed up to begin with, and this could lead to a fall as serious as Dennis. Hopefully, alcohol was not a factor in his fall.
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Says VGA ?

"........The N I H says less than a third of hip fracture patients ultimately die of the injury or surgery...."

OF COURSE, [Most] would hope that Dennis beats the odds and fully recovers.

AND, that's what I said.

Wasn't it ?

Personal history involving those I've known indicates that it's a challenge, but people beat statistics all the time.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 05:37 PM

I don't put much stock into anything AARP says

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Like it or not, if you are over 55 you are considered a senior citizen, according to the AARP.

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 06:48 PM

I'm in my middle 60's and don't feel a bit older than 40.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 10:21 PM
Broken hips/falls not always what they seem

I wish Dennis a full and fast recovery. I hope his recuperation goes well.

Hip replacements are becoming routine for many older adults. 10 years ago my mother needed one. Unfortunately she delayed the surgery because she was a full-time caregiver for her 90+ yr old mother. The pain was terrible but she didn't want to place gram in a nursing home while she recuperated.

I finally did some research and found a doctor Who specialized in minimally invasive surgery. Mom still required weeks of physical therapy, but did well after surgery. She was in her 70s. She felt much better and was pain-free for the first time in years.

While she recuperated I took over caregiving for my grandmother. (She must have had stronger bones- no hip problems.) She was one of the healthiest nonagenarians I ever saw, lived to 97, probably thanks to mom's caregiving for nearly 20 years.

One thing I learned from this experience: many seniors actually break their hip first, and then fall down. This happens more with women who have osteoporosis then with men. There's really no way to know for sure after the fact.

Whatever happened to Dennis and the cause of his fall, I wish him a successful recovery so he can return safely home.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 10:29 PM

The AARP would count your life in dog year$, if they could get away with it

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Quote:
Like it or not, if you are over 55 you are considered a senior citizen, according to the AARP.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 12-18-2013 at 11:23 PM

Ha Ha. I heard they have some good bargains. I get their flyers but I am in denial and don't open up the mail. Merry Christmas!!
Quote:
Originally posted by BeemerDan
The AARP would count your life in dog year$, if they could get away with it

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Quote:
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 12:12 AM

get well soon, Dennis!

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 10:38 AM

So sorry to hear about your fall Dennis... get well soon and get back on the board. We miss you.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
So sorry to hear about your fall Dennis... get well soon and get back on the board. We miss you.

I'll second that.
Fred
Senior Nomad

Mood: Laid Back

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 12:53 PM

Get well, buddy.

Fred
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Hurry up and get out of there Dennis....there are rumors of a collection fund from Nomads to get RuPaul impersonator to come sing for you:biggrin:

...but Lulu might like him

Lulu has better taste then that.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.