Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: Toyota tacoma is a dud in 2017
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-22-2016 at 11:01 PM

AND His "off road trips" by his own admission are few and far between. Most of his miles are Kalifornia hiway miles.. Do the math.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 06:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
AND His "off road trips" by his own admission are few and far between. Most of his miles are Kalifornia hiway miles.. Do the math.

The Korean tires make it work harder.

:lol::lol::lol:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 06:17 AM

Takes a while to find the Toyota in the rankings.

http://www.caranddriver.com/best-pickup-trucks

http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/truckin-every-full-size...

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/tr...

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/best-buy-awards-...

etc
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 06:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Point is TMW, Many would disagree with our experts's statement that "THe GM tranny was junk, ". including the magazine that I posted.

"Only a mom and pop ...." YES I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK... SO.

David. The GM turbo 400 didn't not come in a Plymouth.

[Edited on 12-23-2016 by rts551]

Nothing is more boring than men spouting off their supposed car knowledge!

Speaking of trannys, elinvestg8r is obsessed with them! :lol::lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 07:21 AM

Maybe your bullchit and whining is more boring?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 07:31 AM

Ralph, if you must reply to my postings, then at least try and use facts...

I never said the GM Turbo 400 was in a Plymouth. It was in my '75 Jeep. The '92 Plymouth was my second American car purchase and it also had two transmission fails.

I have had three Subaru 4WD wagons.
One Mitsubishi Mighty Max truck.
One Mazda MPV van.
Three Toyota Tacomas.
That is 8 Japanese brand vehicles, the first 4 were manual and the second 4 were automatic.

My first vehicle (1973-1975) was a VW Myers Manx dune buggy.

I have had all kinds of tires including Goodyear and BFG.

Not all my trips are serious off roading, but neither are all of anyone else's. Just a representation of typical Baja enthusiasts driving. Mission Santa Maria, the Pole Line Road, and deep sand are tough on transmissions, however.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 07:52 AM

:lol::lol::lol:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
A race transmission is not a stock unit used in a competitive race car/truck. It is torn down and rebuilt with some better parts added. For some of the top racers the tranny is rebuilt after so many races especially before the Baja 1000. Only a mom and pop low budget racer would use a tranny out of the box from the manufacture. Some make it some don't.

Are you trying to tell us that stock TH400 trans. are junk as DK says??

No, I am saying that any transmission used in competitive racing is rebuilt to make it more reliable just like the engine. The auto tranny in my new 1991 chevy 4x4 went out at 26,000 miles. It was replace with a 700R4 that lasted over 200,000 miles. In the 90s it was common for GM truck transmissions to fail early. Back then I had many coworkers who lost their GM truck tranny before 30,000 miles in both CA and TX. My 2004 GMC Z71 tranny is going strong at 165,000 miles.
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
No, I am saying that any transmission used in competitive racing is rebuilt to make it more reliable just like the engine. The auto tranny in my new 1991 chevy 4x4 went out at 26,000 miles. It was replace with a 700R4 that lasted over 200,000 miles. In the 90s it was common for GM truck transmissions to fail early. Back then I had many coworkers who lost their GM truck tranny before 30,000 miles in both CA and TX. My 2004 GMC Z71 tranny is going strong at 165,000 miles.

My 1996 Tahoe trans (4L60E) broke a band, then went out around 12k miles after the first rebuild. I had it rebuilt again with a couple beefier parts (4L80 planetary gears, replaced broken sun shell with stronger unit), and sold it shortly after. The thing never shifted right. First year with the vortec engine, and likely new shifting programming. The 1995 k2500 I have with a 4L80E shifts solid, with 140k mi and I expect it to last a long time. I like the older, hydraulic governer transmissions, because they shift like they are supposed to. I think GM started going electronic around 1991, and Dodge did in 1994, for trucks, at least. The 4L60E transmissions from the 1990's GM vehicles were inconsistent, and I believe there were some large batches that had manufacturing defects.

Those 90's Plymouth minivan transaxles were crap. I remember people going through three rebuilds before 150k miles.

You drive anything hard enough, and get it hot, you can burn up any transmission, or break bands, etc.

If you really want your vehicle to last, keep it cool. Put the biggest radiator in it you can find, put in a cooler thermostat, add a trans and oil cooler, and don't drive it like you're being chased by the cops! You'll likely get another 100k miles, 10 years out of it. Keep the sun off the interior too.

I just looked at that 2017 Chevy Colorado article that was posted earlier. That is a great looking, well engineered truck!
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 01:19 PM

BajaBreak ... good advice on the making a transmission last a little longer ... same for the engine :):)
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.