BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: What are the 5 best "Easy to Medium" Baja trails?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2019 at 01:28 PM
4 roads or tracks

Here are 4 roads. Green is the present main road. Red is the track called Green Door or San Pedro. Blue is Harald's sand shortcut. Violet is Harald's "original layout of the old road".

4 roads.jpg - 229kB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-30-2019 at 01:28 PM

FYI, the Tinaja de Santa María, just 1/2 mile off the Golfo Camino Real, is just south of Valle La Bocana, here: 28° 26.065'N, 113° 20.069'W
This was well described by Arthur North on his 1906 expedition for Camp & Camino in Lower California.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-30-2019 at 02:36 PM

here are the other ones worth exploring

Attachment: tracks.kmz (12kB)
This file has been downloaded 194 times

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2019 at 09:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
FYI, the Tinaja de Santa María, just 1/2 mile off the Golfo Camino Real, is just south of Valle La Bocana, here: 28° 26.065'N, 113° 20.069'W
This was well described by Arthur North on his 1906 expedition for Camp & Camino in Lower California.

beautifully preserved part of Camino Real right there

Attachment: cr min.kmz (2kB)
This file has been downloaded 203 times

Harald Pietschmann
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 05:07 AM

The rock crusher in the canyon west of San Pedro / La Bocana ranch was mentioned by Crosby in his Baja Cave Painting book.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 05:19 AM

no pictures?
no maps?

Harald Pietschmann
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 05:46 AM

Harold, I am not tech savvy enough to post maps on here, although your kmz files, when I click on them, show up on my Google earth. Thank you! I have never been to that place and doubt I ever will, small oddball mine in the middle of nowhere, it would be cool to see but with 2WD a little sketchy I think. How is the foot?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 06:05 AM

From the turn on the proper San Pedro track - where the drainage becomes narrow. What we found was huge rocks making driving somewhat dicy. I will give it a try on my next trip. Should be an easy walk from the 2wd road from the north. BTW, It is in middle of desolate country so be well prepared with some kind of satellite tracker like we all use.
Bajaric, get a built 4x4 and enjoy these tracks.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 07:51 AM

I have driven all the way into the mine site a couple of times, twice on my quad and once in my 4x4 truck. Now the rancher at La Bocana has fenced the arroyo. If he is there when you go through he would probably give permission to go up there.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 08:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
I have driven all the way into the mine site a couple of times, twice on my quad and once in my 4x4 truck. Now the rancher at La Bocana has fenced the arroyo. If he is there when you go through he would probably give permission to go up there.

have you done Custa Santa Isabelita?

I abandoned crossing some years ago running out of time

Harald Pietschmann
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 08:34 AM

Not sure where that is. Give me a hint. Keep in mind that my Google earth on this computer doesn't work. So just lat lon doesn't work for me until I can get GE working.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 09:39 AM

isabelita.jpg - 209kB

Harald Pietschmann
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 01:07 PM
photos from Rancho San Pedro

well, looked as though it may still be operative in March 2009

Branding iron remains at the ranch

The area around the ranch wasn't completely abandoned

John M

[Edited on 8-31-2019 by John M]
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2019 at 10:12 AM

The ranch is seasonal, they run cattle up the arroyo. Lots of water up there. There is also a little rancho half way between the green door turn off and the La Bocana rancho. I forget the rancheros name but he will take you up in the hills to see the Borregos. He has water holes where the big horn sheep come in regularly. He also has a little guest room at the ranch where a couple could spend the night. Very basic but would be an adventure.

Oh, by not completely abandoned you meant the snake. I get it.

[Edited on 9-1-2019 by larryC]

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2019 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

have you done Custa Santa Isabelita?

I abandoned crossing some years ago running out of time

No, not to the extent you have. I have gone through the canyon where the dams are and then come in from the other side of the canyons and also followed the road out into the hills but I had no idea that you could access the la bocana arroyo from that direction. Would like to do that this year, looks like an adventure.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2019 at 11:17 AM

No, not to the extent you have. I have gone through the canyon where the dams are and then come in from the other side of the canyons and also followed the road out into the hills but I had no idea that you could access the la bocana arroyo from that direction. Would like to do that this year, looks like an adventure.

the padres used it on the way to San Borja
later someone bulldozed a road in

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2019 at 11:30 AM

The ranch is seasonal, they run cattle up the arroyo. Lots of water up there. There is also a little rancho half way between the green door turn off and the La Bocana rancho. I forget the rancheros name but he will take you up in the hills to see the Borregos. He has water holes where the big horn sheep come in regularly. He also has a little guest room at the ranch where a couple could spend the night. Very basic but would be an adventure.

Oh, by not completely abandoned you meant the snake. I get it.

[Edited on 9-1-2019 by larryC]

there are 2 ranchos - one of them is called Los Paredones
but I don't know which one

the one on the narrow canyon is Las Venecas

Attachment: rancho Los Paredones.kmz (829B)
This file has been downloaded 172 times

Attachment: rancho Los Paredones II.kmz (752B)
This file has been downloaded 167 times

Attachment: Las Venecas site.kmz (743B)
This file has been downloaded 170 times

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2019 at 03:02 PM

Los Paredones was Jesus Flores' ranch. He was made famous in Erle Stanley Gardner's books as having a Lost Gold Mine. I hired him in 2001 to guide us to what I hoped was the lost mission ruins. Site of Paredones, Jesus' ranch: N28°36.81' W113°24.59'

In 2002, I had him autograph my copy of Gardner's book he is featured in:

http://www.vivabaja.com/402/page6.html

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2019 at 10:40 PM

looks like they abandoned that site and moved to the south location

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2019 at 09:03 AM

Harald, the first Paredones KMZ is the original one. The one you call Paredones II, I do not know about. It wasn't there in 2002, my last time on that entire road.
Las Venecas is correct. Papa Diaz (L.A. Bay) built a dam in there way way back in time.

Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.