Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7
Author: Subject: Solar - Buyer Beware
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 10:57 AM

Here’s another EV consideration.

https://www.unitedvoice.com/firefighters-share-concerns-over...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 11:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I won't go into the multiple failures he had with that car, but it had to be towed with all four wheels off the ground!

[Edited on 8-20-2022 by AKgringo]

Nothing wrong with that. Rollback tow trucks are common. And if I were having any of my vehicles towed, I would prefer they be towed on a rollback.

And most AWD vehicles cannot be towed w/o rollback (or disconnecting drive shafts)

[Edited on 8-20-2022 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 11:35 AM

SF&H

Towed off the road means out of traffic to the shoulder. That said consider an EV or hybrid coasting down hill. If so equipped the regenerative braking maintains a constant speed (speed control engaged) by charging the battery. About 50% of the energy used going up hill is recovered. No damage is done to the electrical or mechanical systems. The battery will not overcharge as the car automatically switches to conventional friction braking when the battery is full.

We’ve usually lived at the top of a large hill to take advantage of this feature..

[Edited on 8-20-2022 by RFClark]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 12:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
SF&H

Towed off the road means out of traffic to the shoulder. That said consider an EV or hybrid coasting down hill. If so equipped the regenerative braking maintains a constant speed (speed control engaged) by charging the battery. About 50% of the energy used going up hill is recovered. No damage is done to the electrical or mechanical systems. The battery will not overcharge as the car automatically switches to conventional friction braking when the battery is full.

We’ve usually lived at the top of a large hill to take advantage of this feature..

[Edited on 8-20-2022 by RFClark]

In this case, by towing I mean with 2 or 4 of the wheels on the ground, spinning. By trailering I mean on a flatbed trailer, being carried, no wheels spinning.

Tesla says.

"NEVER TRANSPORT YOUR VEHICLE WITH THE TIRES IN A POSITION WHERE THEY CAN SPIN. DOING SO CAN LEAD TO SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE AND OVERHEATING. IN RARE CASES EXTREME OVERHEATING MAY CAUSE THE SURROUNDING COMPONENTS TO IGNITE."

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_jo/GUID-FA9E3DC...

So that's an issue. It eliminates a dead/broken Tesla (and all EVs?) from being towed with a standard tow truck in the standard fashion with 2 wheels on the ground.

Don't forget I'm thinking a Baja breakdown.

[Edited on 8-20-2022 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 01:28 PM

So if a person was driving south in an EV in Baja and got to the rock fall area on Hwy5 and managed to hit a large stone and the tire was sliced open. No cell service light or no traffic. Nearest flatbed or roll back is in San Felipe some 60 -70 miles away.
Not a good situation.
Maybe an EV is not so practical in Baja unless you stay in town?
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 02:13 PM

SF&H,

My manual for the 2022 Kia Niro PHEV says flat towing with the car in neutral at 10mph or less for one mile or less. Front wheel dolly not a problem for any distance.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
So if a person was driving south in an EV in Baja and got to the rock fall area on Hwy5 and managed to hit a large stone and the tire was sliced open. No cell service light or no traffic. Nearest flatbed or roll back is in San Felipe some 60 -70 miles away.
Not a good situation.
Maybe an EV is not so practical in Baja unless you stay in town?

I would not worry about availability of a rollback truck for the very rare times you need a tow due to flat tire.
If you are worried about flat tires, carry a spare tire.

Needing tow is pretty rare. I haven’t needed a tow in 30 years :light:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 04:39 PM

I'm sensitive to the issue because I've hired tow trucks 3 times in Baja. And no, I'm not driving cheap beaters. Full-size Chevy and Ford V-8 1/2 ton pickups. Two transmission failures and an ignition problem.

I'm also sensitive to the spare tire issue. I've lost track of how many flats I've had.

[Edited on 8-20-2022 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 04:51 PM

SF&H,

We have always carried a satellite text device and now usually haul our StarLink system with us. I keep threatening to do a live feed from Coco’s Corner.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 05:03 PM

I saw my very first Rivian on the road yesterday, and my second Ford Maverick this morning. I find it odd that there is virtually no marketing of the Ford Maverick. Even the radio ads for my local Ford dealer do not mention it. Very strange for a new product. It's actually pretty good looking. The Rivian, well, it probably grows on you. Kinda clunky looking.

A satellite communicator seems almost a no brainer today, I realized I probably should use one since I'm often many miles from help and traveling alone.

Most tire problems seem to be nails, screws, etc. A tire plug kit is likely to work in all but extraordinary situations. At least in my experience. Add a compressor, and don't fret about a spare tire.

John

[Edited on 8-21-2022 by John Harper]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 05:06 PM

Yeah, well, I'm a low-tech guy. I bought my first cell phone a couple of months ago only because of a bank's new website requirement to authenticate with a code sent in a text message. The phone is off with no service now. I think I'll switch banks.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 05:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Yeah, well, I'm a low-tech guy. I bought my first cell phone a couple of months ago only because of a bank's new website requirement to authenticate with a code sent in a text message. The phone is off with no service now. I think I'll switch banks.

You can always have the code sent to your pager.

John
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 05:15 PM

:lol::lol:

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 05:19 PM

Tune in, turn on, drop out.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 05:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I find it odd that there is virtually no marketing of the Ford Maverick.

There could be supply problems. New car dealers seem to have really low inventories. I just experienced that.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 05:29 PM

Just stick to tellers. Why you doing e banking?

Woke!

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 05:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I find it odd that there is virtually no marketing of the Ford Maverick.

There could be supply problems. New car dealers seem to have really low inventories. I just experienced that.

Yes, Ford has the new Ranger, the Mustang Mach E, and the Maverick. With the supply chain issues still ongoing, maybe they already have problems filling orders.

John
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 05:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Just stick to tellers. Why you doing e banking?

Good Lord. My mom was a teller at B of A for 20 years, been gone almost that long too. Even she said e-banking was the way to go, and that was in the last century. I can't recall the last time I walked into a bank.

Do you still get paper bills and statements? Sears catalogs too? What's in the latest Reader's Digest?

Maybe mtngoat666 is now oldtimer666?

John

[Edited on 8-21-2022 by John Harper]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 06:02 PM

John, if you don't go into a bank, where do you get your travelers checks? :?:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2022 at 06:08 PM

The kia Niro we bought was the only one the dealer had. They were just taking orders. Now the folks who ordered won’t get the rebate!
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.