Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  48    50    52  ..  68
Author: Subject: Jimena
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 08:03 AM

santiago...might be a good idea to bring a couple extra jerry jugs and fill them in the north...el rosario as our gas here comes from south and wont be getting through...we still have gas here in town but it will run out likely...we are filling reserve jugs here although juan just went fishing and will burn a few looking for tuna offshore.
ps...can you please bring a big bag of economy cat food....we now have 6 cats....three bobcat cross kitties will be for adoption if any of you lost kitties in the storm!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Pretty good update from the paper. this may answer some of gnukid's questions and I know he speaks spanish

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/huracanes.aspx

Here's what I gather about those affected from the articles translated:

Yesterday

"La Paz-Ciudad Constitucion, San Carlos, just over 50 thousand people around the towns without light and water." (who had it before).

"The parastatal explained that the strong wind knocked over a 1200 posts, 102 towers and damaged the circuits of distribution and transmission lines."

Today
http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/estados/72975.html

"Jimena" leaves to 75 thousand without services in BCS

"The Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) reported that 59 thousand people in Loreto, Ciudad Constitucion, Santa Rosalia, Puerto San Carlos, Mulege, Comondú Villa Insurgentes and other villages were left without light."

"In the municipalities of Comondu and Mulege at least 2 thousand homes have been severely damaged. In the town of Puerto Adolfo López Mateos some 250 are recorded damage in Mulege over 600, including 300 with total damage."

"The delegate Ivan de la Toba reported that Lopez Mateos-... are without the services of electricity or running water, and that the 500 evacuees exceeded the capacity of shelters, which is 300."

---------
http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n1309603.htm

"Travel is limited to 4x4 and is difficult to pass from La Paz to Constituccion due to obstacles, mud, and road problems."

In Mulege County 6,000 people require temporary (albergadas) housing.
In Cabo region 3500
In La Paz region 1500
In Loreto region 417

Most other regions not yet reporting

---------
http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n1311817.htm

"On his way through Baja California, Hurricane Jimena "devastated Magdalena Island, about 200 homes were destroyed, leaving hundreds of homeless people, who for two centuries are settled in this majestic stretch of land, about 200 families are in distress and urgent clamor for government intervention at all three levels, said Martin de la Toba Miranda."
----------
http://noticias.prodigy.msn.com/Fotogalerias/huracan_jimena....
----------
http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2009/09/04/index.php?section=esta...

In Mulege 8,000 people are in temporary shelter

Sonora declares emergency in 12 municipalities
----------

In Mulege one death was reported. Rafael Cuesta Real 69 years old pased away.

Authorities reported that a septuagenarian Mulege, identified as Rafael Cuesta, drowned in their homes. And in the fishing village of San Buto, Comondú municipality, a person remains missing.
--------
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 08:33 AM

More news trickling in:

The Secretary General of Mulegé, José Antonio Espinoza Tirado, did a damage review and he estimates there are 650 homes damaged in Mulegé, with about 300 a total loss.

The road from Loreto to Cabo San Lucas is passable. From Loreto to Santa Rosalia there are 9 washouts and the road is not passable. So Mulegé is currently isolated.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/estados/72975.html

No soy por ni contra apatía.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 08:33 AM

no traffic by us on mex one

raining today AGAIN

the big bridge by the federal police station is down
no southbound traffic from there yet

wait till next week or you'll get stuck north of town

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 55steve
Send me a U2U if any of you folks heading south need a place to stay in San Diego before crossing the border - I have my RV at the side of the house available.

Ditto that.
We are in Point Loma just 10 minutes off I-5. easy off and back on.
We have a guest room and bath available for anyone who wants to make a stop and bolt for the border early AM.
Please don't hesitate to U2U me for our address to mapquest.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
pascuale
Nomad

Mood: Lets fish!

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
Quote:
Originally posted by 55steve
Send me a U2U if any of you folks heading south need a place to stay in San Diego before crossing the border - I have my RV at the side of the house available.

Ditto that.
We are in Point Loma just 10 minutes off I-5. easy off and back on.
We have a guest room and bath available for anyone who wants to make a stop and bolt for the border early AM.
Please don't hesitate to U2U me for our address to mapquest.

Nice to see people helping eachother in a situation like this. I wish I could leave work and be on my way down there to help out. What can I do from here in SD?
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 10:53 AM

just heard that the CFE trucks and men that went to help restore power are waiting and cant get through an arroyo to get to the affected areas...so the highway is still impassable north of sta.rosalia.

anyone who wants to come sooner than later can wait at our place till the road opens...byob

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 11:12 AM

Three major needs shaping up:
1) large tarps for temporary roof covering,
2) visqueen (transparent but durable plastic sheeting) for temporary window repair,
3) Duct tape for both the above.

Above available at local home improvement centers or building supply joints near you.

I'm getting more phones ringing in Mulege although nobody answering, so the Telmex central office must be getting attention from inside; I am fairly sure none of the residences or businesses I'm calling have dial tone. I expect aerial lines are in same shape as electric- poles down, lines down, etc. Proper phone service around town will take weeks to get straight. Once the cell sites have power again (they will probably wheel in generators once roads are open) that will be the routine phone service for maybe a month. And cell service was reported for a short time after power went down, so that means some battery backup which should bridge service between brown outs which will be a regular occurrence for at least 90 days. My AT&T phone roams in Mulege fairly seamlessly when there is service, that's a good choice if you are thinking a temp phone.

[Edited on 9-4-2009 by EngineerMike]

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 11:12 AM

the pics do work, i didn't see them here so made a new thread. came of BBP.

Joyce and Jerry were my neighbors at Serenidad - good people.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 11:31 AM

Latest I've heard is that both approaches to the big curving bridge South of SR are gone and the big new bridge south of that is out too. Road south of Mulége to Loreto open. Raining and windy here since around 8AM. Satillete image show storm moving South along the SOC coast but track image shows Westward direction??????
Edit: Runways at Palo Verde and Serinidad closed. Chivato was OK this AM with one obvious low wet spot. However there is no road in/out of here. Road work will start once the water levels go down and it stops frigging raining.

[Edited on 9-4-2009 by Russ]

screenshot_03.jpg - 47kB

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 11:31 AM

From BBP -

Just got off the telephone with Nely Fregozo in Constitution. She is in the office of the Mayors wife, who is the head of DIF for the area. They will ask the Red Cross for help. The paved Constitution airport is open. The Governor recently landed and is touring the area. Constitution was hit pretty hard. The new LEY market was destroyed, but the old Super Murillo market survived. Water and Electricity are out, but hopes are that both will be back in service by sometime tomorrow. Lots of home and building damage. There is a road passable between Mantancitas and Constitution. The Lopez Mateos - Mantancitas runway is not yet usable. Reports are that up to 90% of the structures in Lopez were damaged or destroyed. We have not been able to make contact with anyone at the Cannery yet. The La Purisima hill top strip is reported to be usable, but we have no word on town conditions. We have no word on San Carlos, but reports are that the town of Isla Magdalena no longer exists, so its a safe bet that it was hit pretty hard too.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
From BBP -
The Lopez Mateos - Mantancitas runway is not yet usable. Reports are that up to 90% of the structures in Lopez were damaged or destroyed. We have not been able to make contact with anyone at the Cannery yet.

Since the people from Magdelena Outfitters are posting about needs in Lopez Mateos on another site, perhaps they can be of use for more information.

Beachgirl
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 11:39 AM

Plastic sheeting, duct tape and tarps...what a great bit of info Mike. We are also taking a generator, extension cords, two plug-in standing a/c units, cans of gas and a hefty chainsaw for downed trees. Have to assume any of electronics have been ruined....that is, if we still have a house standing....mid Oasis.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 11:58 AM

Mid-Oasis, Beachgirl? I've got my fingers crossed for you.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 12:26 PM

Just noticed that the Weather Bug gadget on Windows Desktop that I had set to Santa Rosalia is not reporting the weather. No kidding.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 12:45 PM

The silence from San Ignacio is deafening. Anybody got news there?

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 12:55 PM

I think that may be more about the lack of Nomads in the town. Mulege and Loreto are packed with Nomads. My guess. Fingers crossed.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 01:02 PM

Yea, San Ignacio is inland and not subject to flooding. Or is it? The area has probably lost power.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 01:11 PM

Actually, in a heavy rain, I think the town might fill like a bath tub. Not that I wish that on them.

[Edited on 9-4-2009 by Bajahowodd]
tipper

Mood: Clicking along happily

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 01:19 PM
santa Rosalia

anyone have any news of the old marina/ heard its gone, rumor?
 Pages:  1  ..  48    50    52  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.