Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  48    50    52  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 04:00 PM

Yeah, last year I found a rake where I camped.
What is important here are the cameras. Was he a camera bug who took many daily pics as so many do?
Also was the surfboard his?
If he drove past the ranches, would he see them?
It surprises me the rancher was unaware of the search. I know Bryon McKenzie posted posters all over Catavina.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
It surprises me the rancher was unaware of the search. I know Bryon McKenzie posted posters all over Catavina.

Like I mentioned earlier, these people understandably are careful to not get involved. Traditionally, they distrust the police and could be included in an investigation just to fill a void.
Very few, if any, will say what they know or hear, if anything at all.
Can't blame them for that.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher

Like I mentioned earlier, these people understandably are careful to not get involved. Traditionally, they distrust the police and could be included in an investigation just to fill a void.
Very few, if any, will say what they know or hear, if anything at all.
Can't blame them for that.

Fortunately this rancher did get involved, and in a BIG way!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 04:21 PM

From the description here is where the car was found.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 04:25 PM

just wondering out loud, how did the rancher get inside the car?
anyway great job lizard lips, the family is lucky to have you on their side!:yes:
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
From the description here is where the car was found.

Or - with all the "approx" distances - perhaps here?:

http://goo.gl/maps/U2WUo

patton-2-4-km.jpg - 50kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
anyway great job lizard lips, the family is lucky to have you on their side!:yes:

Not only that but why were a set of keys locked inside the 4-Runner, but the SUV locked on the outside?
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 05:26 PM

The 4runner was still at the police station in Catavina at 9am today.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
This is where the interview became interesting…. The rancher said in the beginning of December 2013 he was on horseback looking for his cattle and was at this exact spot where he found the SUV on March 4 and it definitely was not there. He also mentioned that other ranchers patrol this area weekly and no one reported the abandoned vehicle. The rancher said he thinks the vehicle was only there, at the most, for one week.

This is where the interview became interesting for sure.....

That would mean Gary or Gary's vehicle was somewhere else down there for 3+ months post disappearance. Once they found the vehicle I assumed it had probably been there since 9/5 or so, and was out of site, thus no reports.

[Edited on 4-6-2014 by Ateo]

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeJustJoe
Quote:

Not only that but why were a set of keys locked inside the 4-Runner, but the SUV locked on the outside?

As Sherlock said "the simplest explanation, is usually the answer", or something like that. So in this case probably the rancher did some digging and found some hidden keys.
Here, the cameras could mean so much. Even if they have no pics after San Quentin, that is good info.
Still wonder about the surfboard, if it was not his, that changes everything!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 07:48 PM

no, he had a surfboard from the get go!
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
no, he had a surfboard from the get go!

Yes he had a surfboard, I know that. But I`m asking if the surfboard that was in the vehicle was his. If it wasn`t, then he may have ran into someone who wanted his vehicle, but not his board.
Also, you ask how to enter a locked vehicle. If you have a cracked window for a surfboard, any car thief could get in there, muy pronto!! And even if you don`t steal cars on a regular basis, you could find a way (think rock).
The key to all this are the cameras.
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 08:47 PM

I decided to get my Baja California Almanac and look up the location listed in this thread. What I found surprised me. The map listed as 7 shows Catavina near the top and the coast down the left hand side. It should show the area where the car was found.

If you check the Latitude along the edges it is wrong. It shows 31'XX where it should be 29'XX. To prove this you can look at map 8 on the next page. It has the same latitude as map 7. It is correctly marked as 29'XX.

The date on my Baja California Almanac is 2009.

This winter I heard that there is a new Baja Almanac coming soon and the 2009 version is out of print.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wiltonh
I decided to get my Baja California Almanac and look up the location listed in this thread. What I found surprised me. The map listed as 7 shows Catavina near the top and the coast down the left hand side. It should show the area where the car was found.

If you check the Latitude along the edges it is wrong. It shows 31'XX where it should be 29'XX. To prove this you can look at map 8 on the next page. It has the same latitude as map 7. It is correctly marked as 29'XX.

The date on my Baja California Almanac is 2009.

This winter I heard that there is a new Baja Almanac coming soon and the 2009 version is out of print.

Yes, we pointed out all the latitude errors back in 2009. Ignoring those, the maps are still some of the best for the other data at that scale. Map 7, on the line between O-2 and P-2 is where the 4Runner was found.

[Edited on 4-6-2014 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 09:29 PM

A couple of things are disturbing.

A. The vehicle is full of food and water which he leaves to search for help.

B. After missing for 6 months the vehicle arrived in this remote location a few weeks ago.

Of course both can be explained but not very easily. And with a low probability.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 10:09 PM

How do we know that Gary left the car there and went walking? Given that there were signs posted for a missing person, maybe the person or persons held him up at gunpoint, robbed him, then took the car for a joyride and knew that there was a search on for the vehicle and dumped it in that spot. That would explain the rancher not seeing the car there before and the uneaten food.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 10:16 PM

Yes this was his red surfboard and there was no drinking water found in the vehicle just the melted water in the ice chest.

The battery in the 4 Runner should have had some juice if it was only there for a week.

Gary could have very well had an extra set of keys.

Was Gary the one who drove it to this location or because of all the flyers posted and the publicity maybe the person who killed him or stole his vehicle wanted to throw off the authorities and place the cameras and other items in the car and show that there was an attempt to get the vehicle unstuck from the sand just to take the heat off him and have all of this staged?

Gary had a tent, sleeping bag and several other items in the 4 Runner when he left Orange County. When the police report is obtained there should be a list of all personal items found.

We can go on and on with scenarios and it's great we do this. Anything is possible now.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 11:02 PM
gary and L.L. help

Thank you SIR !! from all of us in concern !! TO : Lizard Lips
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 12:01 AM

there's a sign post up ahead.......:?:

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 07:01 AM

Doesn't everyone take two sets of keys?
LL: I'm curious on your interview technique - how did/do you get the rancher to divulge this info? Some folks by nature are forthcoming and some are not. This is probably a cultural question and not germane to this thread, just curious.
 Pages:  1  ..  48    50    52  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.