Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  49    51    53  ..  68
Author: Subject: Jimena
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 01:24 PM

we spoke on the vhf with a family there that said the flooding was very bad in San Ignacio as well...not much info.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 01:30 PM

Shari, Have you spoken to anyone in La Bocana? I have not been able to get through to the few people I have phone # s for.
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 01:47 PM
Constitucion

I just spoke to family and business in Constitucion. Crew of CFE and Telmex are working full time to restore broken lines. Cell phone have been back since yesterday. Areas of town are having all their services back already. Tomorrow I will go and visit the area. Will report back. Constitucion people are known in Baja to be very hard worker and for sure they will put back the town in a short time.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 01:47 PM
San Ignacio

Just received an e-mail from a friend who has family in San Ignacio---he said the arroyo is running strong, food and water are becoming a problem, no electricity, but no loss of life.

Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 02:07 PM

We have a house on the north side of the river in Mulege and went thru the devastation of H. John. So now again Jimena. Please, a word of caution to those who want to rush down there. The military was on it after John and did a good job of initial aid and cleanup. Better than our government seems able to do. The next week will be chaotic. There will be no places to stay, no fuel , no electricity, and very limited food and water. Unless you can be totaly self suficient and are sure you're place is livable it would be better to wait untill things are a little more under control. The last thing they need is more people to feed and accomodate. When the basic infrastructure is back up is the time to go. We waited two weeks after John and still han no power or water but at least there was food and water avaliable and we were not in the way.
Believe me, I know how frustrating it is to be here and wait for news and not be able to do anything. This is our second time. The best thing to do now is start collecting money and donations-all of which have been mentioned here-except for gas powered pressure washers. Stuff for long term help is the most important.
If initial reports are true then we probably had 7 or 8 feet of water in our house. I would dearly like to know if our neighbor and patron, Manuel "Lito" Romero and his family are ok.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 02:32 PM

Estrella, Were is/was your house located on the north side? Manuels house is up on the hill. He's gonna be OK. The other house's down along the river and at the mouth of the arroyo probably got hit hard.:(
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 03:09 PM

San Nicholas>>

Anybody have any report on the folks at San Nicholas. Would appreciate any News.

Thank you Skeet
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 03:37 PM

No word from Los Frailes he should have Sat. internet?(San Bruno-San Lucas area)

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 03:48 PM

I just got through to La Bocana. Sounds like they got more wind and rain than Asuncion, but not much. The phone lines are working.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 04:03 PM

Don't want to be redundant, but Estrella speaks the words of experience and truth.
Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 04:03 PM

Cypress. Our house is directly below Manuels. He should be ok with flooding but we had wind also this time. His new house is pretty stout though. I too am worried about our friends houses in the arroyo. It stayed dry during John but most of the rain was up in the mountains then. We are around the corner but still get the river flooding.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 04:33 PM
Mulege Donations

A load of clothing for Mulege is being organized from Portland, OR, clothing for about 60 familias, coupla sets each. Thanks to Keri Bowden. It will be dropped off on a drive by to Loreto.

Just talked to a former Mulegina, grew up & went to school there, now living in SF, CA Bay area. She is in contact w/Pollo Cannett by his phone which is working, and hopefully Saul Davis. Per Pollo, most dire immediate need is food & water. Saul's, Yee's and Alba's are either washed out of inventory and closed for repairs, or mostly washed out of inventory & closed for repairs. Only store open in town is Pinguino across from Mely's and they are running out. This situation will change over a week or two once the roads open, however those who are wiped out can always use food and spend their money on more important repairs. So if you are going- take food & bottled water (big bottles like the 2.5gal size is best). If you leave it w/Saul you can trust it will get to those in need. Saul has held the Scholarship checkbook for a long time and we have never missed a dime. I know several folks who leave money w/Saul for exactly this purpose at the holidays and it works great, you can trust Saul. Probably best if you make up boxed care packs so he can just hand them out. Make it easy on him please.

I'm still monitoring the jungle drums for word the road will be open to trigger my departure. Hope to be part of a large caravan. Since living conditions are unpredictable, my first trip may be w/overnight in GN, then deliver freight & take assessment in Mulege, and head back immediately to GN & SD. Just a thought at this point; depends on facts not yet in evidence.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 04:47 PM

Still well connected but with generator. No elec here for awhile. Many power poles down between here and Santa Rosalia which is our source for electrcity.

The bridge immediately south of Santa Rosalia took a beating, the center spans are still standing but both approach ramps are completely washed away.

Local folks here have received some disaster relief in form of government care packages.

Presently sprinkling as a reminder from Jimena that she was here. Not too much damage in the village nor at the RV park. One porchlike arrangement was destroyed, but not much obvious damage.

Sturdy village, sturdy people.

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
No word from Los Frailes he should have Sat. internet?(San Bruno-San Lucas area)
oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 04:59 PM

So glad you posted. I was worried too. Stay safe. Keep in touch.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 04:59 PM

Good to hear from you losfrailes!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 05:17 PM

Just off the phone w/Saul Davis in Mulege via a neighbor's phone. 1.3 meters of water in his store & inventory effectively a total loss (Saul had 0.2m in H.John so just over a meter more this time at his place).
"Any help anyone can bring Mulege is appreciated." Tarps, Visqueen, duct tape & rope for temp house repairs a good idea.

River water came up to the street in front of Bancomer. Photos posted by Mexrick on his real estate website (and linked earlier on this thread) show much mud in that and adjacent streets which came from the hillsides above. This is like after John & Julio but much more mud.

Most of la Fortuna wiped out; white house in front by the river is gone. Many houses there are toast w/massive structural damage. One two story there owned by Canadian woman looks structurally OK to Saul.

Orchard- river row got hammered badly, with perhaps 3 houses remaining per Saul*; one of those is the new two story (Connie & Les Scherr I believe, but that's a guess). I received photo by Marilyn Muscarolas via forwarded email of Casa 88 with only the front wall of 1st story standing, top story & balance of lower story is gone; nice paint though. Per that email Casa 95 still standing w/photo showing water line about 3 feet into 2nd story.

Per Saul- new houses along north side of river @ Manuelito's are gone or close to it including new rock house there.

*Separate email forwarded to me & quoting actual recon in the Orchard confirms 3 houses on river row standing tho one probably totaled due to foundation issues. One of those standing is new 2 story next to Garcia's (Scherr's?). Saul thought Garcia's may be wiped out, but that is based on observation from his side of the river and not confirmed.

Rafa & Antonia Cuesta are in good shape w/lots of guests; roof stayed on their house. Their phone still not working. And yes it was Raphael Cuesta Sr. that drowned, Rafa's dad.

Power is up in Santa Rosalia per Saul & his conversation w/friend in power co.

[Edited on 9-5-2009 by EngineerMike]

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 05:22 PM

Thanks Mike. Sad, very graphic report.
captain4tuna
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 05:32 PM
Mulege-South Side of the River

Has anyone seen the south side of the river? Anything standing?
Any word on San Ignacio Springs? Terry's in Vancouver and we can't reach Gary.
Thank you all for all your updates.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 05:34 PM

hmmm..it would be of interest later to see what kind of construction remains standing...does it depend on the foundation? quality of blocks? amount of rebar int it? position on the river for currents hitting it? luck of the draw? the rock house is gone?? hmmmmm

thank you so much for the detailed report.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2009 at 05:36 PM

Anyone out there with photos from the Serenidad? Most specifically the rows of casitas and trailers behind the hotel along the wall?

Mud? Roof damage? Nothing left? Would much appreciate solid facts about our place there, #12

Gracias
 Pages:  1  ..  49    51    53  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.