BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  50    52    54  ..  60
Author: Subject: Arizonas new Imigration Bill(This has turned into a Rat Hole)
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2010 at 12:08 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/21/official-says-fed...

Top Official Says Feds May Not Process Illegals Referred From Arizona

A top Department of Homeland Security official reportedly said his agency will not necessarily process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona authorities.

AP FILE: John Morton, assistant secretary of homeland security for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

This article was updated at 4:36 p.m. on May 21. See editor's note at the bottom of the article.

A top Department of Homeland Security official reportedly said his agency will not necessarily process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona authorities.

John Morton, assistant secretary of homeland security for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, made the comment during a meeting on Wednesday with the editorial board of the Chicago Tribune, the newspaper reports.

"I don't think the Arizona law, or laws like it, are the solution," Morton told the newspaper.

The best way to reduce illegal immigration is through a comprehensive federal approach, he said, and not a patchwork of state laws.

Immigrant rights' supporters around the country took to the streets on May 1 to protest Arizona's new immigration law which seeks to identify, prosecute and deport illegal immigrants. Take a look at the massive protests.

The law, which criminalizes being in the state illegally and requires authorities to check suspects for immigration status, is not "good government," Morton said.

In response to Morton's comments, DHS officials said President Obama has ordered the Department of Justice to examine the civil rights and other implications of the law.

"That review will inform the government's actions going forward," DHS spokesman Matt Chandler told Fox News on Friday.

Fox News legal analyst Judge Andrew Napolitano said ICE is not obligated to process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona authorities.

"ICE has the legal discretion to accept or not to accept persons delivered to it by non-federal personnel," Napolitano said. "It also has the discretion to deport or not to deport persons delivered to it by any government agents, even its own."

Morton, according to a biography posted on ICE's website, began his federal service in 1994 and has held numerous positions at the Department of Justice, including as a trial attorney and special assistant to the general counsel in the former Immigration and Naturalization Service and as counsel to the deputy attorney general.

Border apprehensions in Arizona, where roughly 500,000 illegal immigrants are estimated to be living, are up 6 percent since October, according to federal statistics. Roughly 6.5 million residents live in Arizona.

Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-AL, said it appeared the Obama administration is "nullifying existing law" and suggested Morton may not be the right person for his post if he fails to enforce federal immigration law.

"If he feels he cannot enforce the law, he shouldn't have the job," Sessions told Fox News. "That makes him, in my view, not fulfilling the responsibilities of his office."

Sessions said the U.S. government has "systematically failed" to enforce federal immigration law and claimed Morton's statement is an indication that federal officials do not plan on working with Arizona authorities regarding its controversial law.

"They're telegraphing to every ICE agency in America that they really don't intend on cooperating with Arizona," Sessions said. "The federal government should step up and do it. It's their responsibility."

Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-AL, said it appeared the Obama administration is "nullifying existing law" and suggested Morton may not be the right person for his post if he fails to enforce federal immigration law.

"If he feels he cannot enforce the law, he shouldn't have the job," Sessions told Fox News. "That makes him, in my view, not fulfilling the responsibilities of his office."

Sessions said the U.S. government has "systematically failed" to enforce federal immigration law and claimed Morton's statement is an indication that federal officials do not plan on working with Arizona authorities regarding its controversial law.

"They're telegraphing to every ICE agency in America that they really don't intend on cooperating with Arizona," Sessions said. "The federal government should step up and do it. It's their responsibility."

Editor's Note: An earlier version of this article incorrectly attributed a quote by Judge Andrew Napolitano to Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano.
oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 5-22-2010 at 12:35 PM

We all thought "rule of law" was over rated anyway. :biggrin:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-22-2010 at 12:48 PM

What the heck? Other than tax and toss money to the unions, what have the feds been doing of late?:?: Illegal aliens? Unemployment? Gulf oil spill?:O The list is endless! What's going on here?:?: Arizona is just doing what the feds have been unwilling or unable to do.:D
oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 5-22-2010 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
...... What's going on here?:?:

Change.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-22-2010 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
What the heck? Other than tax and toss money to the unions, what have the feds been doing of late?:?: Illegal aliens? Unemployment? Gulf oil spill?:O The list is endless! What's going on here?:?: Arizona is just doing what the feds have been unwilling or unable to do.:D

i thought you teabags and republicans want smaller and less involved govt. now you are asking for govt to do more, be in more places, etc. no wonder people think conservatives are hypocrits
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-22-2010 at 01:48 PM
Mongoloid Goats

hypocrits (sic) ?

GoatScheisse's spelling and thinking are in the same league.

His limited mental capacity is never more evident than when he "attempts" to attack the concept of Limited Government which doesn't mean "Small" government and never did.

The logic holds that Government should exist ONLY to the extent NECESSARY and that such governing is best kept to the MOST Local level NECESSARY so that those in the government will be as closely monitored and managed by the people as NECESSARY, including removal and replacement of Representatives as NECESSARY. Bad actions on the part of officials should be easily remedied by popular political action.

Where it is shown that the Federal Government is best suited to such purpose AND is empowered to act in accordance with the Constitution, said Government action is well and good. The Constitution was founded on the premise that the Federal Government was something to be held in close control by the people through their States and the Federal Government's powers were limited out of reasonable fear.

The (True) Conservative belief in "Limited" Government differs dramatically from the pervasive belief among Liberals that an All-Powerful Central Government should inherently be empowered to address ANY and ALL situations better left to the PEOPLE or Local, County and State Governments (in that order).

No Hypocrisy there. Or, Hypocrites.
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 5-22-2010 at 03:08 PM

Isn't it better to have a few in Gov. actually getting something accomplished rather than a whole whack of them doing nothing ???
Seems like thats whats going on....nothing

sold out and got out !!!
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2010 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
....and it just isn't Mexicans that are coming:fire:

Video 1 http://www.wsbtv.com/video/23438021/index.html

Video 2 http://www.wsbtv.com/video/23438712/index.html

How many of these "OTM's" come in through Canada?
The 9-11 hijackers did.

Always looking over ones shoulder is no way to live.
Help stop the cowerdice involved in cyberbullying:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5270535_fight-adult-cyberbullying.ht...
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 08:46 AM
Popping Off and Stuck on Stupid

"The 911 Hijackers did".

So What ?

Securing the Southern Border and addressing the Illegal Immigration problem is a Law-Enforcement, Economic and National-Security problem.

We should be (and hopefully are) addressing properly the immigration holes that allowed those Terrorists in, but it should not be the sole focus of our activities.

http://securetheborder.org
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
How many of these "OTM's" come in through Canada?
The 9-11 hijackers did.

Offical estimate (sorry I can't find link anymore) is that there are 75,000 Canadians illigeally living in the US and that there are 250,000 US citizens illegally living in Canada:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bob Durrell
Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 08:56 AM

Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, heal the sick - unless of course they are illegals.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you - unless of course they are illegals.

Love they neighbor as thyself - unless of course they are illegals.

Nice!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 09:11 AM
Feed, Clothe, Heal ..........

And DEPORT.

Let's strike a deal. Works for me.

AND, I love the Illegals at least as much as the rest of my neighbors.

I've met some I'd be happy to Love. At least, for awhile. At one time, that is. Long ago. Far Far Away.

I've always worried about that "Do onto others business". Others often do some Bad things. I prefer "Trust, but Verify" and "Semper Paratus".

Which reminds me of a friend many years ago in Indio who, through a "network" he'd been referred to by another friend, "imported" a Female companion at a reasonable (at least affordable) cost. Delivery on the U.S. side. He liked to say (to friends only, I imagine) that "If I get tired of her, I can just turn her in to Immigration". Never did as far as I know. I was between wives at the time and he offered to help me get in touch with the same people, but I deferred. Seemed like a plan with a lot of things that could go wrong. Almost as restrictive as Marriage.

[Edited on 5-23-2010 by MrBillM]
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 10:59 AM

Stuck on Stupid-

I'll say it again the United states is ADDICTED to cheap labor and illicit narcotics that come in through Mexico. Fix that you fix the problem it's that easy.
But I'm Stuck on stupig according to some around here.

Always looking over ones shoulder is no way to live.
Help stop the cowerdice involved in cyberbullying:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5270535_fight-adult-cyberbullying.ht...
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 11:18 AM
Choosing scripture

Quote:
Originally posted by Donjulio
Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, heal the sick - unless of course they are illegals.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you - unless of course they are illegals.

Love they neighbor as thyself - unless of course they are illegals.

Nice!

Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's.

Translation:

If Cesar is illegal...turn him in. :rolleyes:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexicorn
Stuck on Stupid-

I'll say it again the United states is ADDICTED to cheap labor and illicit narcotics that come in through Mexico. Fix that you fix the problem it's that easy.
But I'm Stuck on stupig according to some around here.

No matter how many times you say it we ain't ever going to "fix" the "demand" problems you speak of. I say (again) secure the borders, strickly enforce the employer laws, and most of the "illegal" problem will slowly go away. Your emphathise on "demand" I believe is exagerated--------IMO MOST Americans are NOT addicted to illegal drugs, despite your saying it over and over again, but I will concede that it is a huge problem. I personally do not hang with illegal drug users, or illegal aliens, so of course I don't see the problem quite as acutely as you do, I suppose (!?!?!?!) (kidding)

Barry
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 11:31 AM

Barry ??

Why are illegal drugs being brought into the US? There HAS to be a demand and sale for them. Maybe not the majority of US citizens, but enough to create the demand.

There can be no "exaggeration" of the emphases of "demand". Demand is what fuels the whole drug business.

Or can you explain to me where the drugs being grown in the US and smuggled into the country are going if not to a group of people who demand to have the product (as shown buy their purchases of it)?

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 11:38 AM

Lou----------of course your right-------- I guess I did not say that right---------drugs ARE a huge problem, no doubt about it. For instance, if only 2% of Americans were users of illegal drugs, that would represent at least 6 million folks demanding illegal drugs in the USA------THAT'S A HUGE PROBLEM, I agree. My only point was the rebuttal to the inference that MOST Americans demanded illegal drugs-------not so, I say.

Perhaps the "inference" is really not there, and I am over-reacting.

Barry
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
For instance, if only 2% of Americans were users of illegal drugs, that would represent at least 6 million folks demanding illegal drugs in the USA------THAT'S A HUGE PROBLEM
Barry

4 times HUGE actually:

"Percent of persons 12 years of age and over with any illicit drug use in the past month: 8.0% (2007)"

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/druguse.htm

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 11:51 AM

There are 17.6 million alcoholics in the U.S. A surefire way to make this a much more huge problem would be to criminalize alcohol. Let's not let recreational drugs be such a huge problem and thus able to be tied to the illegal immigration debate. Anyway, many addicted to drugs are self-medicating for ailments such as depression and insomnia. Fix the medical system in the U.S. and many other problems would be fixed as well. So, in short, legal importation of drugs will be good for Mexico once they are legalized - legal seems to be the key word in this whole debate.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
For instance, if only 2% of Americans were users of illegal drugs, that would represent at least 6 million folks demanding illegal drugs in the USA------THAT'S A HUGE PROBLEM
Barry

4 times HUGE actually:

"Percent of persons 12 years of age and over with any illicit drug use in the past month: 8.0% (2007)"

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/druguse.htm

-------if that doesn't represent "societal decay" I don't know what does!!!! Jeeeezo, what a mess!!!! STUPID is too kind a word!!!! Masochistic and suicidal is more like it! Skeeter is right---about a LOT of things.

Barry
 Pages:  1  ..  50    52    54  ..  60

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.