BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  51    53    55  ..  60
Author: Subject: Arizonas new Imigration Bill(This has turned into a Rat Hole)
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Barry ??

Why are illegal drugs being brought into the US? There HAS to be a demand and sale for them. Maybe not the majority of US citizens, but enough to create the demand.

There can be no "exaggeration" of the emphases of "demand". Demand is what fuels the whole drug business.

Or can you explain to me where the drugs being grown in the US and smuggled into the country are going if not to a group of people who demand to have the product (as shown buy their purchases of it)?

There is a demand for cheap drugs. If there was more border enforcement and the street price for drugs increased, I'm going to guess the demand would drop. It seems to be working for cigarettes....

k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
For instance, if only 2% of Americans were users of illegal drugs, that would represent at least 6 million folks demanding illegal drugs in the USA------THAT'S A HUGE PROBLEM
Barry

4 times HUGE actually:

"Percent of persons 12 years of age and over with any illicit drug use in the past month: 8.0% (2007)"

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/druguse.htm

-------if that doesn't represent "societal decay" I don't know what does!!!! Jeeeezo, what a mess!!!! STUPID is too kind a word!!!! Masochistic and suicidal is more like it! Skeeter is right---about a LOT of things.

Barry

I bet most of the illegal drug use is marijuana and that's fast becoming legal. So that will fix much of the societal decay you speak of. ;D

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 01:04 PM

I wonder what percentage of Nomads are alcoholics?
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 01:35 PM

I just had a personal experience involving the marijuana issue. A close relative has been treating with a highly respected psychiatrist for bi-polar and psychotic symptoms. The treatment has involved administering several very expensive prescription meds that leave this person in a zombie-like state much of the day. Yesterday, they met with a different psychiatrist who, after examination and history, directed my relative to a doctor who specializes in marijuana. This doctor, it turns out, is a former army physician who was in Desert Storm, and served a tour early on in the Iraq occupation. This doctor is totally convinced that marijuana has myriad applications, and in many cases is a safer and more effective alternative to prescription drugs. He wrote a Rx to my relative, citing different strains for different symptoms.

This is my first close contact to the whole issue, and it will undoubtedly be interesting to observe what happens.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 01:57 PM

Bajahowodd, Very interesting. Hope your relative's condition improves. Another reason why the legalization of pot has so much opposition. The drug industry will take a major financial hit.:light:
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Bajahowodd, Very interesting. Hope your relative's condition improves. Another reason why the legalization of pot has so much opposition. The drug industry will take a major financial hit.:light:

Thanks. As for the drug industry, perhaps they wouldn't be so opposed if they were designated to be the purveyors of the legal stuff.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco

Tho this is somewhat off the thread subject: What is YOUR definition of "alcoholism"? (a legal substance) I have seen so many definitions that I don't know anymore-----seems to be different depending on many criteria, and a very personal & individual "status". :?:

Barry
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco

Are you trying to bench me coach?

Always looking over ones shoulder is no way to live.
Help stop the cowerdice involved in cyberbullying:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5270535_fight-adult-cyberbullying.ht...
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 02:19 PM

Any discussion of drugs can include alcohol without fear of straying off the topic.

I forgot to include the link to my data:
"For most adults, moderate alcohol use is not harmful. However, nearly 17.6 million adults in the United States are alcoholics or have alcohol problems. Alcoholism is a disease with four main features:

* Craving - a strong need to drink
* Loss of control - not being able to stop drinking once you've begun
* Physical dependence – withdrawal symptoms, such as nausea, sweating or shakiness after stopping drinking
* Tolerance - the need to drink greater amounts of alcohol in order to get “high”"

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/alcoholism.html
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 02:52 PM
Dueling Links

Actually, this one supports an increase in alcohol use since 2000; not to mention a (for me) startling statistic about alcohol use among those 12-17 years old.

"Among youths aged 12 to 17, an estimated 17.3 percent used alcohol in the month prior to the survey interview. This rate was higher than the rate of youth alcohol use reported in 2000 (16.4 percent). Of all youths, 10.6 percent were binge drinkers, and 2.5 percent were heavy drinkers. These are roughly the same percentages as those reported in 2000 (10.4 and 2.6 percent, respectively)."

http://ncadistore.samhsa.gov/catalog/facts.aspx?topic=3
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 03:03 PM

Lets speak to the interdependence on cheap labor exported from Mexico so that we American's can have all of our services needs met. Try watching "A day without a Mexican" It's a spoof on how we Americans try to get along for one day without Mexican Labor.
Also let us not leave out the Heroin, Cocaine and Marijuana that We Americans need every day just to get high! It's a huge demand- and no high fence or checking daily on employers laborers ID is going to stifel the demand.

So what do we have here? Where are we going with this?
Anyone got any ideas? Buehler?

Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 03:27 PM

Yea, I've got an idea, illegal aliens aren't the solution, they're the problem.:lol:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 03:46 PM
Facing Facts

Illegal Drugs ARE a HUGE Problem evidenced by the advocates of same here.

In fact, given the indications, Illegal Drug usage may account for the MOST Delusional behavior exhibited by Liberals.

Stamp out the Drug Trade and take a Giant step towards curing the disease of Liberalism ?

It's worth a try.

[Edited on 5-23-2010 by MrBillM]
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Illegal Drugs ARE a HUGE Problem evidenced by the advocates of same here.

In fact, given the indications, Illegal Drug usage may account for the MOST Delusional behavior exhibited by Liberals.

Stamp out the Drug Trade and take a Giant step towards curing the disease of Liberalism ?

It's worth a try.

Cosnservetism is like an illegal drug once you drink the kool aide you cant go back! That is unless your a Senator in a bathroom stall. Or a teleavangelist who enjoys the company of the ladies of the evening! All GOP LOL!!!

Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 03:59 PM

I'd like to apoligize to the good people of Arizona. I know there are many of you hard working good people in that State. However, due topassing SB 1070 I will not be visiting your State anymore. Also I will not be buying any products or food that is grown in your State until SB 1070 is repealed.

Signed
Mexicorn

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 04:07 PM

Mr. Bile- Are you aware of your obsession with liberals? Or at least whatever your personal definition of that is? If you are perfectly comfortable with becoming background noise with a one-note tune, suit yourself. Personally, I've witnessed some very savvy, wry and comical observations from you. But invoking "liberal" on almost any topic is really lazy.

That said, you are not the only one on this forum who throws that term into a discussion on any topic imaginable. I guess folks who have spent decades listening to that comedian Rush Limbaugh have been brainwashed. Limbaugh has admitted that his primary motivation is money; not the myriad issues on which he pontificates. His investment is in his bank account, not his advocacy. In reality, he's laughing to the bank.

At the end of the day, when exchanging ideas and beliefs people draw upon their complex life experiences. Each of us has certain unique experiences. However, there is a vast middle ground upon which everyone who is rational can agree. Using a broad brush to apply an epithetic label is a cheap shot.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 04:11 PM
Apologies ?

Speaking as an EXPERT (or, at least, a Veteran) on the Subject:

Let's not Slander "Working" Girls or those who support their employment.

Those Ladies are performing a far more Vital service and have much higher integrity than MOST Politicians.

Whatever else those TV preachers do, employing and enjoying those services is probably morally superior.

Who watches those guys, anyway ? They rake in all of those Millions and I've never found anyone who admits being a follower or contributor.

It's one of those strange mysteries of life.

Sort of like the guy I met once who said that he usually lost money in Vegas. Given his economic status, I couldn't figure out how he alone was supporting all that Glitz.

Addressing the "Odd" Liberal:

Surely, you Jest ! Me ? Obsessed with Leftist Liberal Scum-Sucking Vile Filth Defiling the Landscape ? Nah !

I Do HATE them, though. Don't ever assume different. It's not an act. They are the Scourge of Society. I'm pleased everytime one of them Checks out. I'm STILL savoring DEAD Ted.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
Any discussion of drugs can include alcohol without fear of straying off the topic.

I forgot to include the link to my data:
"For most adults, moderate alcohol use is not harmful. However, nearly 17.6 million adults in the United States are alcoholics or have alcohol problems. Alcoholism is a disease with four main features:

* Craving - a strong need to drink
* Loss of control - not being able to stop drinking once you've begun
* Physical dependence – withdrawal symptoms, such as nausea, sweating or shakiness after stopping drinking
* Tolerance - the need to drink greater amounts of alcohol in order to get “high”"

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/alcoholism.html

Whew!!!! that's a relief!!! I don't meet any of those 4 criteria (except maybe #1 just before dinner?), and neither do any of my friends (I don't think). But, I do enjoy a drink or two (sometimes 3 ??), always & only good Canadian Whiskey, in the evening, especially when it is a warm and sweet evening like are now coming about. I gave up beer and wine many years ago---bad for the head. :yes:

Life is good. :spingrin:

Barry
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 04:13 PM

The good people of Arizona and the majority of the people in the rest of the states (60 to 70 percent) can only say, thanks. Maybe you can spend you money in CA, they need it.:lol:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 04:23 PM
Saving Calleforny

No Worries.

Meg is spending enough.

As for Arizona, the Boycott is likely to show Zip, Zero, Nada effect.

But, We'll see. Don't expect the Libs to EVER admit it, though.

They'll lie about anything.
 Pages:  1  ..  51    53    55  ..  60

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.