Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  52    54    56  ..  68
Author: Subject: Jimena
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 10:11 AM

There is a photo of La Fortuna park, taken from south side of river looking north in Mulege, in Rick Barber's photo montage at:
http://www.mulege-mls.com/o&o.html
Its somewhere about photo 5, but if you know LF you'll recognize it, then there is another farther off view a couple slides later. These pics show a slightly rosier status than Saul Davis gave from his porch which i relayed in an earlier post.

[Edited on 9-5-2009 by EngineerMike]

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
tortuga
Nomad

Mood: Muy Despacio

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 10:18 AM
Thanks Dennis

Donated items are coming as we speak!
Tortuga

Nothing happens by chance

http://www.bajatortuga.com
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 11:32 AM

I was just informed that the runway at Palo Verde has holes and junk all over it. A helo landed while that person was there so maybe that was an advanced party to assess the damage. But as of yesterday it's unusable.
Also two reports from locals that you can get to the bridge at Santa Rosalia but no detour around it yet. That was probably from yesterday too.

[Edited on 9-5-2009 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 12:05 PM

Per Quito Rosas, assistant fire chief Mulege, as of 08:00 9/5- the official estimate is 5 days for water & power both, so current estimate is Thursday the 10th for services.

Most phones are not working in town due to power out & most phones needing electric these days. If somebody has an old General Telephone/Western Electric two-wire phone, that will work at a lot of houses in the center of town. I just talked to a buddy who has been w/out phone from the start; he got a two-wire phone & is back on line.

In Mulege and Sta.Rosalia the photos fairly clearly show sand, gravel, and in SR rocks in the debris. Not the slimy sticky mud from H.John. That is probably due to the velocity of the runoff. Higher velocity took the fine particles out to sea and the heavier stuff remains. Not much of a consolation, but sand/gravel is easier to clean up. Again not much of a consolation, but in front of our smashed in, roof gone, rubble pile of a laundry room- the sidewalk is clean (mid Oasis). Now if I can get my carport roof out of Jimmie's yard...

Destiny

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 12:16 PM

We just wanted to let you all know that our thoughts are with you all during this time. We aren't sure what damages our trailer has sustained at Cuesta Real at this time. We will attempt to bring as many supplies down as we can when we head that way. It won't be for at least a month, maybe longer as fire season is keeping us very busy right now and there are talks of contract extension..That being said, if anyone needs anything, please email us and we will try to bring what we can to help.

Pete and Sonya
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 12:24 PM

Mike- I take your post as positive news. When I first heard reports of how high the water was, I had visions of Oasis totally washing into the sea. Whew!
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I just heard from Juanita from Casa Leree in san ignacio...the highway is now passable all the way to la paz and the air strip at san ignacio is fine. We can get the military to pick up and deliver relief supplies to the most in need.
No loss of life in san ignacio but highest flooding since 1959 and lots of damage...the new campground palapas petates are gone...so sad...no report yet on ignacio springs...no one can get to it to take photos....the village is still cut off from the highway but stores are open and everyone is OK....they do not need relief.

This is very upsetting:no: Could someone post as soon as there is any news about Ignacio Springs... they have been working so hard to upgrade and improve. I can't imagine how disheartening it would be to have it damaged or destroyed. Keeping my fingers crossed that we soon hear some good news!!! Gary and Terry... my thoughts are with you.

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 12:57 PM
Thanks Everyone

Appreciate everyone's updates on Mulege and relief efforts, for those of you who understand Spanish below is a message from one of my daughter's cousins and his appeal for help in Mulege...so, thank you for any assistance that you can provide...thanks also for any updates on relief drop off/pick up points in San Diego via the Bush pilots or others..I have clothing and can add water as well if any of you have news on SD drop off options...thanks!!

"Mulege necesita de su apoyo, con alimentos o ropa que ya no utilices, el apoyo se agradece infinitamente...muchas familias quedaron sin casas, sin comida y sin ropa mas que lo que traian puesto.... por favor NECESITAMOS DE SU AYUDA... les agredeceremos que hagan circular esta peticion. de corazon gracias. TODA y CUALQUIER AYUDA nos sera de muchisima utilidad. LES AGRADECERIAMOS nos la HICIERAN LLEGAR."

So, the message is basically appealing for help with food and clothing as there is a major need now for help and our cousin thanks you for any help we can bring to Mulege...so thank you again everyone for all your concerns and help!!
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 01:11 PM

Howodd- Based Rick's photo montage, there are wrecked places in the Oasis, and partially wrecked places. The westerly end and river front looks beat the worst, with stuff closest to the river hammered hard.

I'd say this flood took its toll structurally on those in the way of fast moving water. Where the Orchard jutted out into the river's path, it represented an obstacle to the progression of fast moving high water, & the river removed the obstacles one by one till the water subsided; that's how the majority of the river row of Orchard houses got taken out- river trying to go straight. Same w/my laundry bldg- the road one back from the river in the Oasis takes a turn to go around my laundry rubble to continue east, but when the road became a parrallel river- the water hammered away trying to go straight.

For those trying to visualize their situation, the above should help.

Apparently Marv & Cathy (near Casa Granada) had 3-4 feet in their house, first time they got wet inside per MulegeMichael.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 01:23 PM

Another message just received about the Palo Verde airport:
Hello All!

Here is the official report from our own crew: september 05, 10.00 hs.MST

The Chivato Bay Airport (CIB) "Palo Verde" will remain closed for operations for several days.

The Runway is damaged by the entrance to the taxi way to the tarmac. Also debri and mud all over the airport.
The access road from the main highway (1) to the airport is completly destryed. Our crew made it to the airport early yesterday by ATC from the north end of the Runway.
Today they (Arch. Arturo Peralta and Luis Omar and his Airport security crew) were able to bring a high 4X4 pick up truck by the entrance road, took a couple hours to get there.
They reorted to me an hour ago and took pictures that will circulate later when back in town. Sound like a lot of damage.
I was in contact today with the Loreto Airport Comandancia and they are aware of the critical situation. The State planes Moving the governor are in Loreto and he and his staff is traveling north by road to Mulege and Santa Rosalia evaluate damages . Arturo Peralta was told by city officials that the only alternative Airport to recieve help is the one in SAN IGNACIO, they will check runway conditions and also access to travel from Santa Rosalia north. it seems According to Santa officials that the road is open.

I will report Later again today with solid facts .

Good luck to all.

Raul Lujan
Chivato Bay Aeropuertos Co.
Chivato Bay Servicios Co.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 01:29 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Mike.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 01:35 PM

And another: Los Frailes (sp) just informed me he drove to the propane plant N. of Santa Rosalia in a 2x4 rig. So the road is "in fact" open to some extent from Mulége to SR.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 01:48 PM

all you nomads emailing here me and with sending me PMs off nomads - thx i appreciate all but let me say please contact the BBP which is spearheading a great supplies air caravan and relief coordination. they are the coordination point of the pilot's efforts just as with John in 2006.
their info is on the main web page and in alerts - not restricted to members only - and they have email addresses.
donations pick up points are being set up all over the SW for locals to drop at airports where many members fly from or will drop in. CA, AZ, TX NM etc.

their support will be over several weeks i'm sure - they need to assess landing and fueling opportunities 1st and are doing so now.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Charise

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 02:16 PM

I spoke with my parents, marc & cathy today. They said things are very grim and confirmed that they got about 3 ft of water in the house. staying at casa granada. This is the first time they have sustained damage to the house. They are trapped by mud right now and can only get out by quad. Emotional and exhausted.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Charise
I spoke with my parents, marc & cathy today. They said things are very grim and confirmed that they got about 3 ft of water in the house. staying at casa granada. This is the first time they have sustained damage to the house. They are trapped by mud right now and can only get out by quad. Emotional and exhausted.

Thank goodness they are OK. Their place can be repaired, but loss of life is final. I am so happy that you heard from them, and that they are OK.
Bob H
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 03:18 PM
Hurricane Footage from Mulege on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fo0XO5pZG4

Complete w/sound. Hang onto your hat or it will blow away.

[Edited on 9-6-2009 by BajaNomad]

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 03:30 PM

That takes courage to drive over that bridge in those conditions.

tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 04:13 PM
Loreto

Local power plant up as of noon today in Loreto. Cell phones working.

Certainty is the child of ignorance, knowledge is the mother of doubt. Question everything!

http://bcsbirds.com
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 04:14 PM

Amazing footage Mike....I'm in awe of Mommy Nature.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 04:53 PM

so good to hear that marv and cathy are ok...i never doubted you marv!...you be da man, amigo....we are thinking of you...will be down this next week with lots of "stuff"...plug us in to around a week from now....hang in there folks, mike and roz

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
 Pages:  1  ..  52    54    56  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.