Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  52    54    56  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

Anyway to resize those photos to make larger?

Put your mouse on it, hold down the Ctrl key and roll the scroll.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Right decal looks like a Hendrix sticker.

I think the left one is some type of Native American sticker, isn't it?.
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 03:31 PM

Righto I get the spare tire, but is it mounted or is the picture taken looking up at the spare where it is stored under the vehicle? I can't quite tell
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 03:35 PM

It's mounted

Quote:
Originally posted by azucena
Righto I get the spare tire, but is it mounted or is the picture taken looking up at the spare where it is stored under the vehicle? I can't quite tell

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
Another thing I forgot to mention was that the vehicle had 3/4 of a tank of gas when discovered.

That tells me he probably filled up in El Rosario. If he got gas at Catavina the gas people should have ID'd him from the posters.

Also as to why he would pull off there. I do it all the time when I camp along a road. I find a seldom used trail and pull off away from the main road so as not to be seen. I figure Gary did it and got stuck and probably when for help.

More ideas----most surfers camp on the beach, unless he was an explorer nut like me. Also, were there any signs that he had set up camp? If he was a seasoned explorer he would have set up camp and tried harder to dig out (using brush, etc.) perhaps. The three times I've had major problems we just camped until we fixed it. If he wasn't a seasoned explorer I wonder why he's taking these little side roads and not going to the beach.....eh, who knows...
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 04:16 PM

No indication that he had camped at this site where the car was found.

The stickers in the recent photos were there when he went south and left California.

The last photo seen on the camera was not dated and "stamped" on the photo however was seen on Date Image Taken by his son at Catavina P.D.

The flat tire is inside the 4 Runner and not mounted underneath. I can't remember right now if it was posted that the vehicle was found by the rancher with a flat however he didn't mention it. Must follow up with this.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
If he wasn't a seasoned explorer I wonder why he's taking these little side roads and not going to the beach.....eh, who knows...

Sometimes we have to learn the hard way, I suppose.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Mileage information just learned from family:

CAR SERVICED IN CALIFORNIA ON 08/28/2013-MILES: 158,756

MILEAGE TAKEN AT THE CATAVINA IMPOUND YARD: 159,489

TOTAL MILES AFTER SERVICE: 733

MILES TO SAN QUINTIN FROM WESTMINISTER CALIFORNIA: 445

288 MILES UNACCOUNTED FOR

Gary also drove the vehicle in California for 6 days prior to his trip.

Interesting. The vehicle drove only 288 miles since the september border crossing.

Rancher says it only showed up a few weeks ago.

Either (a) it virtually drove to this stop from the border and has been sitting here for 6 months. Or (b) The car has been out of commission for all that time and driven/towed to this spot several weeks ago (foul play).

Option (a) is much more likely.

Why? Because the 'set up' is just to elaborate. Why would anyone go to that much trouble to create clues to throw you off. The bandits would never get caught either way. Nothing was stolen. I don't see a great motive for the bandits to recreate such a scene.

P.S. Correction. Westminister to Catavina is 557 miles on a straight line. That leaves only 176 miles. 30 miles from Catavina to car location. That's 146 miles for 6 days of traveling in the US followed by baja travel. I don't think he even reached the Pacific Coast from Catavina. Sadly, it looks as though Gary had already passed away by the time that the Patton family had started the search.

[Edited on 4-7-2014 by Skipjack Joe]

[Edited on 4-7-2014 by Skipjack Joe]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
No indication that he had camped at this site where the car was found.

The stickers in the recent photos were there when he went south and left California.

The last photo seen on the camera was not dated and "stamped" on the photo however was seen on Date Image Taken by his son at Catavina P.D.

The flat tire is inside the 4 Runner and not mounted underneath. I can't remember right now if it was posted that the vehicle was found by the rancher with a flat however he didn't mention it. Must follow up with this.
The EXIF data embedded in the camera files will give the date and time when the photos were taken.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 04:34 PM

I can't remember if it was stated or not, but did the police go to the fish camps and beach at the end of the road and talk to the people there to see if they remembered Gary? Maybe he had made it to the beach, camped for a while and was on his way back to the highway when he got stuck...
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 04:42 PM

Also if the spare tire was on the truck when they found it, he must have got a flat between the highway and where the truck was found or the beach and where the truck was found, otherwise he would have had his tire repaired in Catavina before embarking on a long journey on a rough road with a spare tire...
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 04:42 PM

No Latina, I have no information on that but I'm certain it will be checked out in the next month. I cant remember if Brian went there or not. He hit a lot of places we didn't. I will have to visit his log again.

With what is now known about the milage it appears that Garys vehicle never made it to BOLA or anywhere south of Catavina.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 05:10 PM

There are so may ways to go here Soul and all are credible, possible and welcome to share. Because there wasn't that many miles on the 4 Runner and if the rancher is correct with his opinion about the car only being there for a short while then maybe Gary was camping on the beach close by and was heading back. Why he would go off road is beyond me especially not having a 4x4.

It has been a very productive day so far and I want to Thank You all for your input. Next is getting the camera and inspecting the 4 Runner. Also of course we MUST go to the beach and contact others in the area for their observations.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Maybe the guy just got stuck, walk away and stroked out.... he could have had some kind of CVA(cerebular vascular accident)

Ohhhh Nooooooo........another complete topic for speculation....the medical cause.
Could be good for hundreds of additional pages of "maybes." :lol::lol:

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 05:24 PM

My mileage was incorrect in my "Mileage" post. It was figured 455 miles from Westminister to Catavina not as I posted, 455 from Westminister to San Quintin.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
No Latina, I have no information on that but I'm certain it will be checked out in the next month. I cant remember if Brian went there or not. He hit a lot of places we didn't. I will have to visit his log again.

With what is now known about the milage it appears that Garys vehicle never made it to BOLA or anywhere south of Catavina.

Brian did not make it out to the beach. When he went south through that area, he visited Nomads and hung flyers. He was driving a rental car, not much clearance but he did get off the main road and did some dirt roads. Brian loved to take pics. and would hang the camera out the window to get everything. Gary no doubt took lots of pics too.
Bad news about the mileage though. Not much wiggle room there.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 05:31 PM

My quote box function is not working, so you will need to go to the first post on this thread. Blanca, reporting for the family and describing Gary, posts that another cause for concern was that Gary had recently begun to drink a little and that alcohol in combination with his meds did not work well for him. She points out that we do not know if he continued to drink.

But if he did, that might account for impaired judgement.

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 05:31 PM

Assuming a digital camera, as mono noted, even if the pics aren't time-stamped on the image, each file will still have a time/date associated with it.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Assuming a digital camera, as mono noted, even if the pics aren't time-stamped on the image, each file will still have a time/date associated with it.

Some also have gps data!!
JZ
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 06:08 PM

I spent two hours reading the entire thread last weekend.

A couple take a ways for me:

1. I feel really, really sad for the family. I'm so sorry for your loss.

2. The family acted with complete class through this whole ordeal. Even in the face of a lot of bs.

3. Baja is a rugged place. We all need to have backups and plan B's and C's.

4. A half dozen nomads stepped up and were just incredibly awesome. I've taken note of you guys. Good guys.

5. Several Baja Nomads should feel really embarrassed. I am personally sickened at your behaviors in this thread. Dennis is the number one person and Bubba is a close second. You should take a deep inward look.

[Edited on 4-7-2014 by JZ]
 Pages:  1  ..  52    54    56  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.