Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  53    55    57  ..  68
Author: Subject: Jimena
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 05:09 PM

We are nothing short of ASTOUNDED how fast CFE mobilized in San Carlos and Guaymas. Half of San Carlos was back with power by about 10pm last night.

Water will take much, much longer. The head of our majorly dysfunctional water company is estimating 3 weeks. You can usually at least double their estimates.

BTW, alcohol sales have been banned over here until Monday.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho

Hard to believe it's a government entity... :bounce:

--Larry

Maybe Slim bought that too. :tumble:
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 05:20 PM
Another news clip

http://www.hechos.tv/estados/deja-jimena-128-mil-damnificado...

This newsclip is shot in Comondú. To summarize, it says there are 128,000 refugees from Jimena in Baja Sur. That long line of people they show in the beginning are signing up for distributions of food, water and plywood. They say it will take 10 days to get the full count of the damages. The agriculture industry was hit hard with irrigation systems and packing houses destroyed.

No soy por ni contra apatía.
Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

Mood: Baja Brained

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 05:46 PM
Donations to Mulege Rotary

I am a seasonal Mulege/Posada resident serving as President of the Mulege Rotary Club with Jim Christopher as our longtime Director. Many of you may know of our community service activities ie the clinic we operate.

I was going to try and attach an email I sent out to our members this morning but can't figure out if that is doable so I'll give a summary here:

One of our immediate priorities is to do what we can to mitigate the spread of dengue (sp) fever and other deceases which often are spread via insects following a flooding event. Last year one of the clubs in the US donated a truck on which is mounted a tank and spray equipment. The needed eco-friendly chemicals were also provided. We intend to put this equipment to work ASAP as soon as the road conditions permit.

I've noticed some posts here inquiring about possibly making contributions thru our club for relief purposes. I looked into setting up a Paypal account that would directly deposit funds into the clubs bank account but this doesn't appear to be a viable option for a number of reasons not the least of which is a 3% service charge. It would be great to have the funds available to our treasurer Ramon Canett (Gallito) who is the hospital adminstator and fire chief in Mulege, for disbursement to those who need it the most. It would be much more effective to open an avenue in which folks could donate electronically rather than have checks mailed to an address in the US and then someone would have to had carry them to Mulege for deposit.
I am asking the Nomad community for suggestions here. You can respond here or U2U me or via email: Randykephart@yahoo.com

I have been pretty much a lurker for years but now hoping to graduate to contributor status, so let see if I pass the entrance exam.
Sorry this got so long and thanks in advance for your suggestions. And also thanks to Doug Means for fixing my login problems.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 06:07 PM

Charise - glad to hear Marv and Cathy are ok.

was Marlin's place similarly inundated? he's trying to get word.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 06:32 PM

Charise- Can't think of a more stable place than Casa Granada. It is a fortress. I'm so glad that your folks were able to find their way there.

On another note, the video that Mike linked is astounding. Not knowing exactly when it was shot. it does give me pause as to whether early reports were actually true about the water being three seet above the bridge.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 06:34 PM

Cell phone service is up now in Mulege; they must have generator(s). Got a call from my hermano Mexicano in Mulege 30 min. ago on his cell.

Many won't have their phones charged after several days of outage and the power still not on. Text messaging still very effective if anybody is listening (reading?).

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
the video that Mike linked is astounding. Not knowing exactly when it was shot. it does give me pause as to whether early reports were actually true about the water being three seet above the bridge.

I'm pretty sure that video was taken early on, after hearing the results of the wiped out homes along the river. But, I surely see why you can think about that.

At one point in the video you can see the palm tree house by the bridge - which was almost all under water during John, but there was still lots of roof, etc. sticking up during that portion of the film.
Bob H
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
but in my experience their customer service is mainly focused on things which will contribute directly to the bottom line. *Not* because a customer needs help.

--Larry

Funny thing about competeing with......uh.......nobody.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 07:17 PM

Howodd...look at the earlier photos of the aftermath. One from the bridge looking back up the street to the North. Look at all the trash wrapped around the power lines just below the bridge deck. The water got at least twice as deep as in the police video.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 07:24 PM
re: Video & water level @ Mulege bridge

Can't really tell what the ultimate water level was from that clip. The early part was definitely early. I'm thinking w/the hard driving rain and high runoff in all streets just from the surrounding hills, that it would have been a pure crazy fool to be near the bridge w/a camera at high water. I don't expect footage of full flood stage for that reason.

The most precise comparison I know of so far is @ Saul's store. He measured or guessed 8" during John (can't be too far off on that because a grocer has inventory at stake; much more & he'd have lost goods, much less & its only a film of water on the floor). This time he stretched a tape- 1.3 meters in the store.

That's 1.1 meters difference. 43.5", call it 4" short of 4 feet higher @ Saul's. That squares w/my recollections across the street from Saul's, where a house had 43" in John, and was up to the ceiling per Saul this time. ~4' difference there also.

Given the narrower cross section at the bridge, the difference had to be more there. Delegado said 2 meters higher than John, but that wouldn't have topped the bridge (water wasn't up to the bottom of the concrete spans in John, and the concrete is ~8 feet thick). So there are highly varying estimates of the difference at the bridge (3' over, 2' over, 2m higher than John are the 3 I've seen). The one thing we know for sure- it was higher than John at the bridge by more than a meter, maybe more than 2 meters, maybe 3 meters.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 07:38 PM

Good assement Mike! They don't call you Engineer for nuffin. :biggrin::biggrin:
Charise

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
Charise - glad to hear Marv and Cathy are ok.

was Marlin's place similarly inundated? he's trying to get word.

Yes, from what I could tell. my mom was soooooo emotional, it was hard to get all the info. I plan to speak with them again tomorrow morning. I was able to speak with engineermike in auburn, he is leaving the states on Thrusday. I am going to deliver supplies to him on monday. food, clothes, tarps, etc. And...cash. my dad says they need cash since they have no way to access the bank. I am flying down as soon as it is safe and there is power. Probably the week after next. I will bring whatever is needed, but right now, my mom needs my love and support. It was a great relief to them to know what is happening here on this blog and what the bush pilots and other nomads are doing for support. they feel so isolated and devastated. they were not even sure if people knew how bad it was down there! Thanks for everything Mike, you have no idea how much i appreciate everything that you all are doing. whatever you need, i am here to help!
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 08:43 PM

I know many of you wont understand, but Mexico is destroying Costa Rica 3-0 and playing superb futbol. Making qualification to the world cup almost a sure thing. Spread the word in the affected areas, it will bring a smile to Mexicans in the middle of this tragedy.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 08:52 PM

Any info on Jungla Jims?
Bob H
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 11:28 PM

Here's another link to Mulege photos from Carlos Milon, who runs the internet across from Equipales sent to me this evening (Sep 5 @11pm)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13325150@N08

[Edited on 9-6-2009 by BajaNomad]
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 9-5-2009 at 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike
Given the narrower cross section at the bridge, the difference had to be more there.

Well, that does not make any sense to me. A narrower cross section in a fluid flow would cause the velocity of the water flow to increase (Bernoulli's principle), but not much of an increase in the height of the water. If it were an inviscid fluid, I could tell you the height would not increase at all. But water does have some viscosity -- not much -- so you might get a small rise.

No soy por ni contra apatía.
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 12:13 AM

On the topic of water height at Saul's store. If you look at a few of the photos taken by Carlos Milon (see link in my post just above), you will see photos of the front of Saul's. One of his front door, the other of the window by the phone booth. You can easily see the water lines. I'd say from those it was a minimum of 4 ft.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 01:47 AM

This might be an easier link to the fotos of Carlos Milon.

From this page, go into slide show mode. Be sure and turn on "show info" to see a description of the location.

Devastating fotos!! Damage looks much worse than John.

[Edited on 9-6-2009 by Hook]

austriaco

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 02:55 AM

Carlos Milon has send the following link.
It defines the present situation of Mulege and the things most needed now:

http://sites.google.com/site/huracanjimenamulegepueblo/
 Pages:  1  ..  53    55    57  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.