Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  54    56    58  ..  68
Author: Subject: Jimena
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 03:16 AM

We are off to Mulege Sunday with food and supplies, and to the Zaragoza-Santo Domingo area on monday, if anybody wants to send something, you can drop it off at the restaurant before we leave.

Gracias

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by arrowhead
Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike
Given the narrower cross section at the bridge, the difference had to be more there.

Well, that does not make any sense to me. A narrower cross section in a fluid flow would cause the velocity of the water flow to increase (Bernoulli's principle), but not much of an increase in the height of the water. If it were an inviscid fluid, I could tell you the height would not increase at all. But water does have some viscosity -- not much -- so you might get a small rise.

You are wrong - try studying open-channel flow - "hydraulic jump".
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 05:55 AM
Don Chano's in Mulege?

Any word on how they fared?:?:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 06:05 AM

I believe there are photos in the Carlos Milon link.

Dianamo
Nomad

Mood: ...still in Baja

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 07:25 AM

Did anyone in Baja get a total amount of precipitation from Jimena? I saw the post from Sonora indicating 30 inches in 27 hours.

Minds are like parachutes...they only function when open!

\"The price of apathy is to be ruled by evil men.\" - Plato
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 07:30 AM
Ciudad Constitucion

I went to visit Cd. Constitucion yesterday and the town is slowly getting back services. Many shops are open and food supply or gasoline are not a problem at moment. Construction materials are running out but probably there will be more supplies coming next week from La Paz.
Still it has been a miracle that there have been so little human loss in such a devastation. The worse in human memory in the area.
Now main problem will be how to rebuild all lost farming infrastructure to keep all lost jobs due to hurricane. Many farmer will not have the capital to reinvest in their own fields and infrastructure and will have to sell at very low prices their land or machinery. The risk is that the area could become a ghost town ............it will take at least 7 years to make back what was lost in terms of capital.
Program from the federal Government to give minimum salary of 53 Pesos per day to people that want to work in the area is not going to help either. People in the area need at least a 200 Pesos a day salary to have a hope to recover in the medium term otherwise they will abandon the area and find jobs somewhere else.
Charity will help in next few days especially in marginal areas and communities but after a couple of weeks only jobs of 200 Pesos per day will keep people in the area.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 07:37 AM

Update from BBP:

I am in Cd Constitucion. Spent the day with the RC working out details and doing a 3 hour flight reviewing the damage with the RC. The major loss is in Mulege. Will figure out some way to get there in the morning. All dirt strips are a sea of mud. From the air the Senerad looked as if it got a lot of water.
Cloths shoes bedding mess blue tarps rope is critical. Keep collecting. I am making arrangements for all our stuff to go to Mulege. Mike Bidwell (owner AZ Cardinals football) flew in a load of GatorAid. Working from my iPhone. Will make a full report. Red cross is trying to get money for the choppers. May or may not happen. Mulege got pounded. If I get there my first priority is to get a landing strip. More later. Jack@BBP

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Mexrick
Junior Nomad

Mood: Still a bit soggy!!!

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 08:16 AM
Mulege SITREP- Sunday Sept. 6th

Sunday Morning
Sept. 6, 2009

Good morning everyone. Greetings from the battle zone. First, let me apologize for not being able to keep up with the requests for information and pictures. I just haven't had the time and have been overwhelmed with requests. Today, God willing, I am going to go to Loma Azul, the area near Jungel Jim's and a couple of places in the Orchard and Oasis that I misses on the first pass. I'll try to get a slide show on the web site this evening and I'll put out at least a short report of what I found in the aforementioned areas.

Now for the SITREP (That's government-speak for Situation Report):

We have some commercial electricity in town that is being supplied by a half dozen emergency diesel generators. I was told by some CFE guys that a large plant was on the way from La Paz to run the water pumps until commercial power can be restored. That may be longer than I thought as a person driving down from Santa Rosalia reported at least 6-8 transmission poles down. Luckily, those are not the towers but are very tall power poles that can be replaced rather quickly.

Still no water but, hopefully, tank trucks will be able to fill our hotel pilas today so we can bathe. Some of us are still using collected rainwater to bathe. It ain't the best but it's better than the alternative and you really do feel a lot better afterward. Telephone is spotty. I have a telephone at my house now but the line to my in-laws doesn't work. We are, therefore, the neighborhood telephone store. Cell service (at least Telmex) has been restored. I don't have Movie Star so I can comment on it's availability.

Roads are passable north and south although the road through Santa Rosalia is a bit circuitous and rough in spots. The large sweeping bridge south of town is out as previously reported but only the ends collapsed... the part connecting the bridge to the highway. That's a lot better that one report I heard that it was totally washed out. They should be able to get that repaired rather quickly. The detour (bulldozed road) around the bridge(s) that were being constructed near Palo Verde is still that... a detour but it is passable. A guy drove in this morning from Guerrero Negro and gave me the above report. My brother-in-law came in last night from Cabo so I know the roads to the south are open.

Now for the location reports:

Disclaimer- Anything I say that is outside of the immediate Mulege area is from sources other than my personal observation but from what I consider to be reliable. This isn't the gospel but it's the best I have.

Loma Azul- reports of considerable but not entire wind damage. Some roofs were lost but, from most reports, only partially. In those cases, water damage from the rain obviously occurred. Further report hopefully tonight.

Downtown Mulege- already reported

Mulege- north side of the river: Widespread destruction. Don Chano's was hit hard and little is left. I don't know if anything is salvageable. If I get a reliable report on that question, I'll report it. El Patron is gone I'm afraid. It's a total rebuild if Tim decides to do that. Information is a bit more sketchy about Pancho Villas but I think it's a good assumption that the report is the same as that for the el Patron.

Mulege- south side: Everything on the south side, from the bridge to and including the Serenidad took a major hit. Damage was worse closer to the bridge. For all practical purposed, the Orchard is wasted. The first row has only three houses left and there are some missing homes in the second row as well. Rows three and four are probably repairable in most cases. I'm checking this morning on rebuilding requirements for the area. Be aware that the city may decide to hold a moratorium on rebuilding as they have done in the past. The length and scope of such moratoriums varies. I'm going to ask the government officials today if they have implemented such a moratorium and, if so, what the restrictions are. The Oasis fared a little better at least in the sense that total destruction was less noticeable. There is a lot of what I would call partial destruction- roofs, rooms, garages, storage buildings, trailers... that sort of thing.

Jungle area, Marybelle's - reports of "intermittent" damage, mainly to out buildings and/or partial damage to structures. More later after I've had a chance to get in there today (hopefully) and check it out more closely.

Posada Concepcion- Took a major hit. I have pictures of widespread damage. I did not see any pictures of what I would consider total destruction but, after review, the decision of the owners in some cases may be not to rebuild.

Burro and Coyote- Reports from Geary Ritchie (Burro) of a lot of damage. Reports are sketchy as he didn't give me a full report. He just said that they took a big hit. I would expect something like Posada, probably a little less but that is pure speculation on my part... something I do not like to do. I'm just reading between the lines. I'll try to get more information today.

DONATIONS: To donate to the relief efforts, please go to my web site (www.mulege-mls.com) where I will have information posted shortly. All help, of whatever nature, will be greatly appreciated. Clothes, money and food are in short supply. There is a military kitchen set up at the Kinder school in Mulege to serve the people and they are relying on donations of food to cook for the people. If you come down, bring something to throw in the pot. Don't forget the baby food, diapers and dog food.

That's about it for this morning. I'm off to the web site to put the donation information.

Regards,

Rick

--
Rick Barber
Pelican Reef Real Estate Center
Mulegé, BCS, Mexico
www.mulege-mls.com
Cel: (615) 161-5499

Rick - MeT
Live Where You Play
Mulegé, BCS, Mexico
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 08:23 AM

thanks so much for your heroic efforts here. We are getting stuff together to send out with the coop truck.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
austriaco

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 08:39 AM

what Carlos said was
a) a brief report about what happened in Mulege and
b) what was in their eyes mostly needed at the moment
which is:

cloths
canned food
pampers for kids and adults
toilett stuff for ladies (I do not know the correct expression in english)
sheets and blankets etc.

thats all I remember
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 08:57 AM

Getting more pictures of the devastation will not only help raising awareness of the situation and likely have a positive impact on donations. Good work Rick.
Making it a one click site:

http://www.mulege-mls.com

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Bonair

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 09:11 AM

The message is from the Pueblo of Mulege via Carlos Milan. Thanks Austriaco for reposting it.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 09:25 AM

Rick Barber will be taking more photos today, posting tonight if possible. Thanks so much everyone for your continued personal effort and concern. Lisa Maria
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 09:34 AM

rick...we cannot tell you how invaluable you are...you have just become our new best friend...we'll be there soon with relief.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 09:37 AM
How did Los Naranjos near Mulege do?

Due to their "light" construction technique, I'm wondering how the houses did at Playa Los Naranjos.

I briefly considered buying one a couple of years ago.
CasaChristie

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 10:09 AM

I hope this work. At the website below are pictures of Posada Concepcion damage. It is very bad and I am so sorry for everyone's loss.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjchristie/sets/

Click on Hurricane Jemina Posada

[Edited on 9-6-2009 by CasaChristie]

Jean & John
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CasaChristie
I hope this work. At the website below are pictures of Posada Concepcion damage. It is very bad and I am so sorry for everyone's loss.

Thanks Christie....Bad damage, for sure. It seems to be roofs and roofing that were the weakest point. I wonder if the tenants will learn from this and rebuild for strength and durability rather than the Gilligan's Island effect. Palm Fronds and Tejas Tile in a Tropical Storm zone? Makes no sense.
CasaChristie

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 10:52 AM

Here is website for damage pictures from Los Naranjos

http://www.mulege.org/nar2009/nar.htm

[Edited on 9-6-2009 by CasaChristie]

[Edited on 9-6-2009 by BajaNomad]

Jean & John
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
You are wrong - try studying open-channel flow - "hydraulic jump".

I beg to differ. Hydraulic jump occurs when the velocity of the water flow suddenly decreases. When an open channel is suddenly narrowed, the velocity of the water flow increases, just as Bernoulli's Principle states. Because the frictional resistance varies with velocity, the pressure drops and the water height actually drops.

If what I say is not true, then airplanes would not fly.

No soy por ni contra apatía.
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by austriaco
toilett stuff for ladies (I do not know the correct expression in english)

The Spanish translates as "feminine hygiene napkins".

No soy por ni contra apatía.
 Pages:  1  ..  54    56    58  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.