Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  54    56    58  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 11:12 AM

if i read it correctly the rancher said there was only a couple beers, melted ice. no mention of food? sounds like he was just doing a short one or two day trip out to the area. maybe he was staying somewhere else and decided to cruise out to that coast for day or two?

to travel on that road with surfboard stuck out window(wrapped in towel or not) would surely cause a cracked window at some point. i know i sure wouldn't travel that way, especially if it fit inside. no way i would want to be sucking in all that dust. was the vehicle clean on the inside or completely covered in dust?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pappy

no way i would want to be sucking in all that dust. was the vehicle clean on the inside or completely covered in dust?

The amount of dirt inside would say a lot about traveling with that rear window open...even just a little bit open.

I once had an old station wagon that lost it's rear window and I almost choked to death on exhaust fumes.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 11:22 AM

after looking at the last pics posted, the surfboard appears to be a soft top bord-like you can buuy at costco and many other places. thus, i don't think it would necessarily crack the window. was he a seasoned surfer?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
I really can't figure out the rear window situation and why the surfboard was sticking out when the 4 Runner was discovered and then secured in the photo at the PD impound lot.

I'm just curious and the question is meaningless, but the foto shows what would be called a luggage rack on the 4-Runner. Would he have tied his board to that, or traveled with his board in the car?

He could've tied it to that rack. It looks like a soft top surfboard. If it was mine I would've just threw it in the back of the 4 runner. Not gonna get dinged.

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 11:31 AM

Just found out that the 4 Runner is still at the Catavina impound yard. I posted that it was in San Quintin sometime ago.

If I had a board sticking out the back I would also try and fit it in the vehicle instead of having all that dust inside Pappy. Apparently when he left Cali. the board was inside the SUV. I had posted that there was canned food found in the vehicle.

Valid points Joe. What is known is that Gary has never used an AKA. Had no mental issues and was in good shape. I am not aware of his habits and why, if it was him, leave the board sticking out the window and look for help as well as leave a set of keys in the car. Very odd
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 11:33 AM

the simplest answer is usually the right answer...

seems like the evidence says he got stuck, went for help, and disappeared,... perhaps fell, had a heart attack, got eaten by a chupacabra, got disoriented and lost, got high and lost, etc,... seems like first thing to do is rent a small plane, put 3 or 4 pairs of eyes on board, and fly a grid to look for a body. doing a search on foot in that terrain would not be very productive way to cover ground
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 11:47 AM

Never had the opportunity to be a part of a search mtgoat but you may be right. It would be very difficult, I think, to view a body from the air especially if there wasn't much left and could be scattered.

If anyone was to go there and search and something is found please do not touch anything and mark the area so it can be located again without any problems. Also if you do find something please call or go to the Catavina PD and inform them. I suggest a search must be done with others that have knowledge of the area. Please do not attempt to do this by yourself. The desert is unforgiving and if anything were to happen we would be looking for you.
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 12:01 PM

If you zoom the photos on page 53 the inside of the truck doesn't look the way it would if all of the dust was blowing inside of it...The dashboard and even the surfboard look clean.
It looks like there are two dusty handprints on the left front of the hood, probably from the police opening it up.
I wonder what he had intended to carry on the roof rack he purchased before his trip?
If he was going for help on foot why didn't he walk on the road? Who would go looking for help in the dense cactus??
N2Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
I really can't figure out the rear window situation and why the surfboard was sticking out when the 4 Runner was discovered and then secured in the photo at the PD impound lot. More maybes.

Here's another 'maybe' regarding the surfboard.

Maybe, after unsuccessfully trying to dig himself out, and not thinking he would be gone long, he just grabbed the towel to wrap around the board and rolled up the window as far as he could, then left to look for help. Leaving the window down a crack would also let some air into the vehicle and keep it a tad cooler inside.

When the 4runner was found, was the front seat tilted forward to allow room for the board? Maybe the police moved the board when they moved the vehicle.

So many unknowns. You're doing an awesome job Lizardlips; as are the many other nomads sharing their thoughts and insights. I hope it leads to something (anything) to give Gary's family hope or at least closure.

Forget about the danger and think of the fun.
XRPhlang
Nomad

Mood: Taco me.

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 12:46 PM

So nobody thinks the surfboard might have been re-positioned to allow for a passenger? In the picture where the board is completely inside the car, it extends into the passenger seat. This could be interpreted as an intentional act that would provide room for someone else to ride in that seat to the location where the car was found.

bontempscreolecafe.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by latina

If he was going for help on foot why didn't he walk on the road?

I've seen no indication here that he didn't.

Considering it's 2.4 km back to the most traveled road nearby, I find it doubtful there's been a thorough search up to now on each side of the road covering that distance (at a minimum).

Besides the immediate area where the vehicle was found, I'd assume that distance of road would be where to be looking next. It would need to be slow, and on foot - not by plane.

My apologies if my assumptions are incorrect regarding a search having already taken place over that distance of road.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 12:53 PM

I'll tell ya this, long before I set out on foot, that soft top would have been under my drive tire for traction!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 12:59 PM

JJJ, I googled and binged the net and could only find a couple of other references to Gary Patton lost...so much for it "being all over the internet"..site some sources

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 01:08 PM

I'm having trouble understanding the real importance of the placement of the surfboard in all this.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 01:13 PM

A few things are certain. the car was disabled.....stuck in the sand/mud, and Gary is not with the car.
It MUST be assumed that he left on foot to get help. Had others come across him while he was still with the disabled vehicle, they would have given him the assistance he needed and he would have driven out.

One would almost have to be standing in the spot of the incident to make an assumption of which way he walked.
One would also need to know the direction the car was headed when stuck to assume where he had been, or from which direction he was traveling from.

All else is a senseless, tiring mind game like the old TVshow, "What's My Line."

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I'm having trouble understanding the real importance of the placement of the surfboard in all this.
hook, in my mind its about how the rancher got in the car, he said the back window was down a bit with the surfboard protruding a bit yet now its inside the car with the back window rolled up. I think. if the battery was dead dead the window couldnt have been rolled back up. im not suggesting anything, its just curious.
N2Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
JJJ, I googled and binged the net and could only find a couple of other references to Gary Patton lost...so much for it "being all over the internet"..site some sources

Did you use quotes? I did a search of "gary patton" baja on google and came up with quite a few, including images of Gary and the poster.

[Edited on 4-7-2014 by N2Baja]

Forget about the danger and think of the fun.
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 01:48 PM

I feel so badly for the Patton family. Even though they have retrieved the truck, there are so many questions left unanswered, the most important being, where is Gary?

Were the boogie board, fins and wetsuit and tent in the truck when it was recovered?
If he was not an "avid surfer", which was mentioned several times, and he planned to return to San Quintin in 3 days, why would he drive all the way south to Catavina and then travel 50 miles of rough dirt road to go surfing at a location that was not mentioned as one of his likely destinations, when there are closer options, given his travel "plans"?

I started reading the thread again and found answers to some of the Nomad's questions:

1. On page 14 the ex-wife said that Gary's surfboard may be hanging out the back window, not on top and that there were obvious hard knife scratches on the driver's side, which you can see in the photos. Apparently the surfboard's location was not unusual.

2. Another family member said that the medications Gary was taking were for high-blood pressure.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 01:50 PM

could indicate it had been moved to allow a second person to ride inside. no reason to drive around with it sticking out the back window-especially if by yourself in that dust bowl area.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie

Try putting in "Gary Patton missing" and I get at least 15 hits of different sites, forums, and blogs, but nothing like this on "BN."

I also don't see the real importance of the placement of the surfboard. However, I would like to know if Gary had any enemies, business partners, financial difficulties, life insurance policies suicidal thoughts .....etc etc....

Was Gary the type to pick up strangers and perhaps say a little bit too much? One post somewhere said Gary had plenty of money on hand, did he have too much money to make him a target..........these are just some of the questions I have, and really none of my business........
 Pages:  1  ..  54    56    58  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.