Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  56    58    60  ..  70
Author: Subject: Ron Hoff/Bajagringo attacked
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2011 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
and he is rolling in his grave. How did you come up with these pearls of wisdom (Ignoramus!) at a time like this?

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
While Ron and Cristina were in crisis.

But, when I told hubby about their situation, he replied, "Now you you know why we have dogs and a fenced property inside a gated community."

He added, "When someone arrives unexpected at our gate, ringing our bell and asking for entrance, I always let the dogs out first and then establish a protocol."

Safety comes first... even our late amigo 'jrbaja' lived inside a gated community while posting publicly against them as isolating yourself from the 'real' Mexican experience.

A gated community, in Mexico seems to be becoming the Mexican experience, or at least the goal, if you want to survive. I'll bet most rich Mexicans have a gated property.
krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2011 at 06:52 PM

I'm confused-is a gated community in Cali or Texas a US experience?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-29-2011 at 08:33 PM

The last time I heard a gated community was death row at San Quentin...(NOT San Quintin!!!)
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
A gated community, in Mexico seems to be becoming the Mexican experience, or at least the goal, if you want to survive. I'll bet most rich Mexicans have a gated property.

I know a prominant Mexican family with two young children who lived in a Baja gated community with round the clock guards. He was paranoid about kidnapping. So he hired an additional personal guard(s) to patrol his house on a 24 hour basis. He was still paranoid. So he moved his family to the San Diego area last year. He commutes to Baja by public air transportation on a weekly basis to operate his business(es) here. His house sits vacant.

[Edited on 9-30-2011 by oxxo]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
<snip>
What the family could certainly use - for those that would (still) want to - is help with medical expenses at the current private hospital that is treating Ron. If there are people that wish to assist with this, the challenge is how to get funds quickly to someone on the ground there - and to whom?

Whomever it is will need to keep good records/receipts, because there will be an expectation of transparency for how those funds are spent. The responsibility does not come lightly.
<snip>
Regards,
-
Doug Means

[Edited on 9-13-2011 by BajaNomad]

My question was deleted, but I wasn't the first to think of this. So what happened to the idea of transparency? Is it too soon? Do others not feel that transparency is an obligation towards those who contributed their hard-earned money?

roberto:
an accounting is only owed to people who gave. you didn't give, so nobody owes you squat!
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 06:46 AM
Accounting for....

Any public assistance to tsunami victims or earthquake victims is public record. I don't think Roberto is being unreasonable. When I borrowed money from my aunt to go to medical school, she asked me for a notary endorsed promissory note. She loves me like her own daughter, but business is business.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
His house sits vacant.

Since kidnapping so often begins with the threat to extract money before the crime itself is committed, there are many well-to-do Mexicans living NOB to escape what would be inevitable had they stayed home and chanced it.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
an accounting is only owed to people who gave. you didn't give, so nobody owes you squat!

Nonsense. Public appeals demand public accounting....which, I'm sure will come once the situation is right.
It is only insensitive to demand anything in this case without allowing time.......his time. Not yours.
Ron has problems. He hasn't even returned to his own site as yet. Why don't you folks shelve your impatientce until he's able to participate?
If, at that time, nothing is said, then it's your turn to ask questions.

[Edited on 9-30-2011 by DENNIS]
baronvonbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 07:41 AM

hear hear!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Any public assistance to tsunami victims or earthquake victims is public record. I don't think Roberto is being unreasonable. When I borrowed money from my aunt to go to medical school, she asked me for a notary endorsed promissory note. She loves me like her own daughter, but business is business.

That is fine and wise. However, Ron did not ask for help (he couldn't, but he wouldn't if he could I think)...

It was given freely by those who wanted to help. So, give the money accounting requests a break until Ron feels like addressing them, if he wants to.

The only people who have any business knowing where the money went are those who helped. My guess is if you helped, then that is enough.

The result is that Ron survived and is with family recovering, and that is the best anyone of us could hope for and is what giving the money provided... Just what more is necessary if the desired results were achieved? (no response needed, it is just my opinion)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

Mood: SO MANY TACOS, SO LITTLE TIME... Gotta Go, See ya there....:bounce:

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

Nonsense. Public appeals demand public accounting....which, I'm sure will come once the situation is right.
It is only insensitive to demand anything in this case without allowing time.......his time. Not yours.
Ron has problems. He hasn't even returned to his own site as yet. Why don't you folks shelve your impatientce until he's able to participate?
If, at that time, nothing is said, then it's your turn to ask questions.

Right on DENNIS and DAVID K ...:mad:..:mad:

If you have to give with strings attached then DON"T give. If you can't "afford "to give without knowing where your money went DON"T give. If you can't TRUST the man to do the right thing the with your "GIFT" then DON'T give. That's what "GIVING" is all about people. IT'S A GIFT. Take your accounting and kiss my grits...:fire:..:o..:mad:

[Edited on 9-30-11 by KASHEYDOG]

Don\'t mess with the old dog...... Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Brilliance only comes with age and experience..... :smug: .... :P .... :smug:
Are you getting the most out of life OR is life getting the most out of you ?? :?:

Twenty years from now you\'ll be more disappointed by the things you didn\'t do then the things you did.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 09:37 AM

I trust the person who received my heartfelt gift for Ron and Cristina so please do not include me in an accounting of what I gave. An accounting for me is not needed.

KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R
I trust the person who received my heartfelt gift for Ron and Cristina so please do not include me in an accounting of what I gave. An accounting for me is not needed.

RIGHT ON DAVID..:yes:..;D..:yes:

Don\'t mess with the old dog...... Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Brilliance only comes with age and experience..... :smug: .... :P .... :smug:
Are you getting the most out of life OR is life getting the most out of you ?? :?:

Twenty years from now you\'ll be more disappointed by the things you didn\'t do then the things you did.
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg

I know a prominant Mexican family with two young children who lived in a Baja gated community with round the clock guards. He was paranoid about kidnapping. So he hired an additional personal guard(s) to patrol his house on a 24 hour basis. He was still paranoid. So he moved his family to the San Diego area last year. He commutes to Baja by public air transportation on a weekly basis to operate his business(es) here. His house sits vacant.

[Edited on 9-30-2011 by oxxo]

I can top that. There is a large gated community in central Rosarito where many prominent Mexicans (and a few US pro surfers) live. It has only one entrance and exit with guard booth and gate. Even so a 16 year old boy was kidnapped off the street while riding his bike and held for extortion. The guard in the booth tried to help the boy- so they cut off his head and left it across the street in the McDonalds parking lot. The family paid the ransom and got the boy back. There is no way to protect you or your family when they come for you.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
That is fine and wise. However, Ron did not ask for help (he couldn't, but he wouldn't if he could I think)...

It was given freely by those who wanted to help.

Respectfully, I disagree. It was given after a call for financial assistance went out from those who assumed responsibility for his well-being. They are, in fact, responsible for full disclosure as well.
I could have gone forever without an accounting of the donated funds, but the more that people step in and say it's nobody's business, the more I'll insist on fiscal closure.
To deny this process will forever taint the motives of those who assumed responsibility for the acceptance and use of the funds and will live long in the memories of Nomads and others who will, in the future, be called upon to help, and for those generous souls who gave from their hearts on behalf of the Hoffs who don't care to see an accounting.....well, don't look at it, but your cavalier feelings and attitudes shouldn't deny those who feel it's an integral part of the process.

This is crazy. How did this issue ever come to this level of bickering?

[Edited on 9-30-2011 by DENNIS]
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 10:07 AM

Quote:

A lack of leadership and impatience.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
Quote:

We're supposed to be grown-ups.

Ohh...by the way, Woooosh....nice lead in to your beheading story up there by saying, "I can top that." :lol:
KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ohh...by the way, Woooosh....nice lead in to your beheading story up there by saying, "I can top that." :lol:

:lol:..:lol:...:lol: Dennis, you velly funny man. You maka me raff

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 11:38 AM

This board can sometimes be unbelievable. An accounting can easily be ignored by those who do not want it. No-accounting may only drive those away that would prefer it.

Now why would you polarize over such a silly issue? Do you really want people to not give as Kashydog has posted?
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

People have short memories. I think the illusion of safety in Baja is fleeting and this crime hit a lot of people like a ton of bricks. Apparently being well-liked by the locals is not enough to be safe, nor is living is guarded gated community. You have to make your own security in addition to what is locally available- even is a gated community. Not comparing it to NOB, just saying if your number comes up in Baja- you clearly have less resources on your side to assist you.

Pages:  1  ..  56    58    60  ..  70

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.