BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  57    59    61  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 10:33 AM

Isn't Catavina on the road to BOLA? Shari said in the first few pages he had told someone he wanted to take pictures of the whales in BOLA? Was it possible he was on the main route and picked up a hitchhiker who robbed him and decided to take the car for a joyride before dumping it?
Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Taco,

Wasn't it assumed that Gary was headed to Bahia Los Angeles from Las Jardines? Where in your opinion do you think he was headed before the turn off he took

I don't know where it was "assumed" he was headed, maybe that's buried in the 1,000+ replies to this thread with lots of differing opinions. I believe he was just exploring with no real set goal or local in mind. But, he clearly was not on the road to BOLA. In my opinion he was headed to the coastal areas north or south of Faro San Jose. There are several points here where he could have the surf break to himself, providing the swell was there.

However, I am troubled by the apparent lack of food and water in the vehicle. I always carry at least 1 gallon per person per day of water, plus beer and sodas. There should have been at least a jerry can of water or a case of bottles. Maybe the water was there and just has not been listed. Also, if you are going to spend the time to go that far off-road there should be a week of canned/dry goods. Were there any 5-gallon gas cans? Always a good idea to have extra fuel when way off the main roads; 4x4ing burns through a lot of gas.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
...it makes no sense for a man to only drive 3 hours and pull over to camp out.

actually, it makes lots of sense. he had no schedule, was free of commitments, and so could poke around and explore the desert on his own schedule. perhaps he heard of some rock art in the area, or an old mine to explore,...

any nomads know what archaeo or natural wonders are in that area that may have attracted him?

if he was running out of daylight, he may have decided to pull off on a random back road to camp for the night,...
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 10:34 AM

I can't remember, did he have a cell phone and did the US carrier ever provide any type of triangulation?

Had Gary been out on this road in the past?

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 10:36 AM

Here is a quote from an earlier Nomad post:

posted on 9-12-2013 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote Report Post to Administrator

My name is Jenn Patton, I am Dave and Molly's daughter. I am sending you a couple pictures of my Uncle Gary (Patton) and his vehicle that he is driving. He hasn't been heard from since last Wednesday when he arrived at Jardines Hotel in San Quintin.. He is driving a 2002 Toyota 4 Runner, Silver with a heavy duty roof rack.. He mentioned to my dad that he wanted to go see the whale sharks in Bahia de los Angeles.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 10:41 AM

THe key to this might be as to where the turnoff begins where Gary's car was found on the main road towards Catavina and if there are any gas stations or convenience stores in that area.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 10:43 AM

No gas stations or convenience stores in that area. Only to the south at Catavina. There's nothing at the turnoff except a constantly over flowing trash can.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 10:45 AM

what about north of that area Ateo? Towards San Quintin?
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 11:00 AM

It was posted that an employee at Jardines said that Gary told them he would be back at Jardines in about three days. As far as his plans on where he was going is not known.

All gas stations, convenience stores and hotels in and around Catavina, El Rosario, as well as Bahia de Los Angeles were contacted by Bajaguy, myself and Brian. Flyers were given to employees as well as taped to the front windows of these facilities. The police in Catavina were also contacted and flyers handed out.

Gary did not go any further south than Catavina on the highway.

During our search of this area last October my thoughts were that Gary probably did take a turn between BOLA and El Rosario and headed towards the ocean and it looks like I was right. The reason I did not search these beach camps is that there are to many of them and were very difficult to get to so we inundated the hwy. stores and gas stations and talked with anyone available in this area to get the word out and nothing-No phone calls or replies.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
what about north of that area Ateo? Towards San Quintin?

south of El Rosario to the turnoff is pretty much desert. No gas stations or stores south of El Rosario till you hit Catavina.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 11:05 AM

He might have stopped to use the rest room in El Rosario, picked up a hitchhiker and started talking with him and was then ambushed. Were there signs put up in El Rosario that Gary was missing?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 11:11 AM

Dan why would Gary tell his son he was headed to BOLA to take pictures of whales. There was no fishing equipment in the car and from what I read he was not an avid fisherman. As I said before if he wanted to go fishing SQ would be the best place for that. The key to this whole mystery Dan is the camera. That is my mind clinches the destination of BOLA to take pictures of whales.
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
It was posted that an employee at Jardines said that Gary told them he would be back at Jardines in about three days. As far as his plans on where he was going is not known.

All gas stations, convenience stores and hotels in and around Catavina, El Rosario, as well as Bahia de Los Angeles were contacted by Bajaguy, myself and Brian. Flyers were given to employees as well as taped to the front windows of these facilities. The police in Catavina were also contacted and flyers handed out.

Gary did not go any further south than Catavina on the highway.

During our search of this area last October my thoughts were that Gary probably did take a turn between BOLA and El Rosario and headed towards the ocean and it looks like I was right. The reason I did not search these beach camps is that there are to many of them and were very difficult to get to so we inundated the hwy. stores and gas stations and talked with anyone available in this area to get the word out and nothing-No phone calls or replies.

[Edited on 4-8-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 11:12 AM

Janene, Did you read my last post?

406 corrected miles to town of Catavina from Orange County (Westminister)
+62 estimated 100k from hwy 1 and tow back
from discovery location & ranch.
468 Known miles

733 Total miles since service, until stored at
Catavina Police Station
- 468 Known miles
265 "NEW" Unaccounted miles. But he had those 6 days to drive locally
before leaving for Baja.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 11:14 AM

He might have gone to the coast from El Rosario, camped out there for any amount of time, putting very few miles on the truck, and was heading BACK to hwy 1 when he got stuck. Of course, just another guess.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 11:17 AM

How about the ambusher taking a joy ride including getting rid of evidence and figuring out where to dump the car?
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
Janene, Did you read my last post?

406 corrected miles to town of Catavina from Orange County (Westminister)
+62 estimated 100k from hwy 1 and tow back
from discovery location & ranch.
468 Known miles

733 Total miles since service, until stored at
Catavina Police Station
- 468 Known miles
265 "NEW" Unaccounted miles. But he had those 6 days to drive locally
before leaving for Baja.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 11:19 AM

Slow down Janene. I don't know what taking photos of whales and Gary fishing has to do with one another and don't know if there was any fishing equipment was with Gary. I know that San Quintin is a great fishing location but so are a lot of others south of SQ.

Apparently Gary had been to BOLA before and wanted to see the whales and that is what he told his family but I really don't understand your question as to why he would tell his son that…..

[Edited on 4-8-2014 by lizard lips]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 11:20 AM

Something must have gone very bad for him. Or, he just possibly wanted to disappear? Either way, we can all speculate, gesticulate, or wring our hands. My condolences to his family.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
He might have gone to the coast from El Rosario, camped out there for any amount of time, putting very few miles on the truck, and was heading BACK to hwy 1 when he got stuck. Of course, just another guess.
there ya go, any fliers make it out to punta baja?
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

Quote:

Wasn't it assumed that Gary was headed to Bahia Los Angeles from Las Jardines?

It's only been mentioned that he indicated an interest.

He went to the effort of lugging a surfboard (in the passenger compartment no less), a boogie board, and a wetsuit. There ain't no surf in BOLA, and he indicated to the people at Jardines he was returning in 3 days.

The simplest explanation is always the most likely.

:)

[Edited on 4-8-2014 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 11:24 AM

He was going to take pictures of whale sharks and be back in three days as he told the hotel, by the 8th. Five hours to BOLA from an early morning departure, arrives in BOLA with still plenty of time to the rest of the day to take pictures, stay one day, and get back to San Quintin by the 8th. He got ambushed somewhere between San Quintin and the turnoff. He never made it to Catavina. This was less than two hours into his departure. If he was headed to the coast from San Quintin which makes no sense, unless he wanted to fish. But the man had a camera in his car and told his son he wanted to go to BOLA to take pictures of whales. That was where he was headed in my opinion until he met his unfortunate fate.

[Edited on 4-8-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 11:28 AM

Then why would you leave San Quintin when you have access to surf and fishing to drive an hour south?
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:

Wasn't it assumed that Gary was headed to Bahia Los Angeles from Las Jardines?

It's only been mentioned that he indicated an interest.

He went to the effort of lugging a surfboard (in the passenger compartment no less), a boogie board, and a wetsuit. There ain't no surf in BOLA, and he indicated to the people at Jardines he was returning in 3 days.

The simplest explanation is always the most likely.

:)

[Edited on 4-8-2014 by BajaNomad]
 Pages:  1  ..  57    59    61  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.