Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  23
Author: Subject: BEV's, Hybrids and/or Independent Solar in Baja
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2024 at 08:15 PM

I was speaking of 6kW J1772 chargers (level2). Tesla destination chargers in Baja charge at 18kw maximum according to Plugshare maps and the time is reduced by 1/3 from a J1772 at maximum unshared 6kw. As I don't have a Tesla, I am not SURE but assume if you are on a shared one that too is cut to 9KW if you are sharing with a second charging Tesla. Oxxo perhaps can enlighten us on that. We spent 1 3/4 hours today at a J1772 charger and got 68km extra distance in that duration. At a 50kw charger we get that in about 15 min. Superchargers make a huge difference on long trips.

[Edited on 6-12-2024 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-11-2024 at 08:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Tesla destination chargers in Baja charge at 18kw maximum according to Plugshare maps and the time is reduced by 1/3 from a J1772 at maximum unshared 6kw.

Tesla does not have any Level 2 destination chargers in the world. They only have Tesla Level 3 Superchargers and the only one of those in Baja California is in Ensenada. Some Level 2 destination chargers in Baja may have NACS connections that will fit a Tesla, but they are not Tesla branded or maintained by Tesla.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-11-2024 at 09:15 PM

"Essentially, your travel consists of drive, find an available charger, eat, sleep and charge overnite."

My assumption was that you would find a place where you could charge overnight, a hotel or Airbnb that allows that. And if you can only drive 300 miles a day, what's to stop you from stopping somewhere along the way that would be pleasant or interesting, as long as it didn't require driving far off your route, running down the battery.

Here's something I wonder- why hasn't someone come up with a way to charge an EV battery while you are driving? Like a solar panel on top of the vehicle, or a small wind turbine that would spin as you drive?
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2024 at 09:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
"Essentially, your travel consists of drive, find an available charger, eat, sleep and charge overnite."

My assumption was that you would find a place where you could charge overnight, a hotel or Airbnb that allows that. And if you can only drive 300 miles a day, what's to stop you from stopping somewhere along the way that would be pleasant or interesting, as long as it didn't require driving far off your route, running down the battery.

Here's something I wonder- why hasn't someone come up with a way to charge an EV battery while you are driving? Like a solar panel on top of the vehicle, or a small wind turbine that would spin as you drive?

Yes with careful planning and a lot of luck, you might find available chargers very close to where you want to spend some time while your vehicle charges. This is the case in San Felipe charger on the beach, not so much at Terrasol in Guerrero Negro as its right by the highway entering town. I don't remember any likely spots to find chargers between San Felipe and Guerrero Negro as even the advertised gas and restaurants were often not open. For now, Superchargers are the best solution, and when they become available in Baja it will be far more practical and enjoyable to drift down the peninsula at a leisurely pace enjoying the various stops and diversions you want to see.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-11-2024 at 10:22 PM

Well look, they have come up with a way to charge an EV while you are driving. A very expensive and impractical one. A lot more challenging than just building more charging stations.

This will never happen in Mexico. :lol: They can't even build roads that don't develop potholes within 6 months.

https://www.renaultgroup.com/en/news-on-air/news/will-electr...

[Edited on 6-12-2024 by surabi]

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 07:23 AM
I have an idea!

My un-paid retirement vocation is managing an over mature forest. Every year I wind up with far more firewood and logs than I can use, or even give away.

I have found that there are some small wood-fired boilers that could power a generator that could back up a battery powered mid-size truck!

By the time I get the boiler mounted and tied into a generator, there won't be much room for anything more than extra firewood and water for the boiler, and for longer runs I would probably need a chainsaw, but it would be cool!

I look forward to installing a steam whistle as well. imagine rolling around Bahia Conception and being able to send out a Woo Woo Wooooooo to the campers on the beach!

The wood smoke and steam clouds would probably keep tailgaters off your back side as well.

What could possibly go wrong with that set up?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 07:30 AM

Wow! I admire your adventurous nature, but I think this may have been done before during the WWII years

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 08:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Burning wood is a major cause of greenhouse gases. It is banned in California, especially for personal use - wood burning fireplaces, except by permit to clear some forested areas in a controlled burn.
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 10:46 AM

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stellantis-ram-ramcharger-gener...

"And when the battery is fully charged and the generator's 27-gallon gas tank is full, it can go up to 690 miles."

While this setup does use gasoline, it looks like at least a good backup if a charging station is not readily found, maybe alleviating the risk of being stuck.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 11:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Burning wood is a major cause of greenhouse gases. It is banned in California, especially for personal use - wood burning fireplaces, except by permit to clear some forested areas in a controlled burn.

It is a natural thing for wood to burn. Forest fires are natural and healthy for the forest.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 11:07 AM

This pickup truck has a few good points. 145 miles on electricity is enough for most Home Depot runs. The ability to charge the battery from the motor coupled with powering a house or construction project is very nice if they also release the 2 way charger with the truck. Not stated but likely is the ability to dry camp using the truck to power the trailer or charge the truck if the trailer has lots of solar. Like at least 5KW worth of panels on the trailer.

On the downside 20mpg on gasoline is not great and 26mpg combined is not great either. That said there’s not much to compare it to.

Price is probably $70K or so as well. That’s high for a stand by power system on wheels.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 11:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

It is a natural thing for wood to burn. Forest fires are natural and healthy for the forest.

Forest fires caused by lightening are natural and happen infrequently, but the vast majority of forest fires are caused by humans. Natural forest fires have nothing to do with millions of people using fireplaces, wood-burning stoves, etc.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 11:26 AM

I think I personally like the idea of a BEV (like the F Lightning) pulling a gas or diesel generator on a trailer better. Better mpg, especially without the trailer attached, drop the trailer at the campsite or at home for emergencies, go exploring and return to the campsite and run the generator when the batteries get low.

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 11:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by cupcake  

While this setup does use gasoline, it looks like at least a good backup if a charging station is not readily found, maybe alleviating the risk of being stuck.

This is referred to as "range anxiety". I drive a BEV and have never been "stuck" anywhere.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 11:58 AM

Of course you are right about that. But we are talking about "un-natural" burning of wood - fireplaces, out of control campfires, poor maintenance by electric utility companies, burning the forest to make room for new housing development, etc. Are you keep'n up @TioLoco?
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 12:04 PM

I think I personally like the idea of a BEV (like the F Lightning) pulling a gas or diesel generator on a trailer better. Better mpg, especially without the trailer attached, drop the trailer at the campsite or at home for emergencies, go exploring and return to the campsite and run the generator when the batteries get low.

Again, this is referred to as "range axiety", imagined by people who have never owned a long distance (and getting even longer) BEV. The new Tesla CyberTruk has 375 mile range with options. Yes, it is expensive, but the price will come down in a year or so. And at this age of BEV infancy, the fringe case for every user's needs cannot be addressed at this time.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 12:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
The poor 60% of the world farms, cooks and heats by burning organics.

And they don't own ICE vehicles, air conditioners, air purifiers, electric toothbrushes, gas ranges, etc. need i go on? We need to look at ourselves individually, about how we can do better in addressing climate change rather what some poor farmer, eating 3 bowls of rice a day and riding a bicycle, should do.

Quote:
Btw everywhere in Mexico burns almost all the trash and most anything else that will burn!

True, but let's see what Ms. Environmental Presidente will do about that!

cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 12:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cupcake  
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stellantis-ram-ramcharger-gener...

"And when the battery is fully charged and the generator's 27-gallon gas tank is full, it can go up to 690 miles."

Is the above EV capable of going from Tijuana to Cabo with just one en-route gasoline fill-up of the generator? Am I understanding this correctly?
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 01:24 PM

Of course you are right about that. But we are talking about "un-natural" burning of wood - fireplaces, out of control campfires, poor maintenance by electric utility companies, burning the forest to make room for new housing development, etc. Are you keep'n up @TioLoco?

Nor is the escalating frequency and intensity of forest fires due to climate change "healthy for the forest", as often vast tracts of forest are burned to the ground and will never regenerate in several lifetimes, if ever. There are places where there was once forest, that are now barren landscapes due to these kinds of fast-spreading and intense fires.

And fire doesn't spread that quickly in old growth forests, of which there are few areas left. Old fallen logs retain moisture and the natural mix of tree species means everything doesn't burn at the same rate. Fire tears through clear-cut and replanted mono- species forests differently.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 02:34 PM

Again, this is referred to as "range axiety", imagined by people who have never owned a long distance (and getting even longer) BEV. The new Tesla CyberTruk has 375 mile range with options. Yes, it is expensive, but the price will come down in a year or so. And at this age of BEV infancy, the fringe case for every user's needs cannot be addressed at this time.

But the cybertruck or F lightning cant power a campsite out at the beach and 100 miles away from a charger for weeks on end. For this a generator (or solar cells) on a camp trailer is needed. At present the most common power sources for emergency home power in storm outages or for long term camping are generators fueled by propane, gas or diesel. Solar is gaining ground but still a much larger investment than a trailer with generator.

Our RV with a 5kw generator parked in our driveway was great for emergency power outages, but could also do double duty at a remote campsite recharging an EV if needed.

[Edited on 6-12-2024 by JDCanuck]

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  23

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.